Madison v.s The Horse Thief

By lily06ride

BOOK ONE IN THE MADISON v.s THE HORSE WORLD SERIES Being coached by your equestrian hero is a dream. For Madi... More

Chapter One: A Straggly Pony & A Teenage Girl
Chapter Three: The Clubhouse
Chapter Four: You Either Get It Or You Don't
Chapter Five: Dinner With The Team
Chapter Six: The Phone Call
Chapter Seven: A Thief On The Prowl
Chapter Eight: Lesson Number One: Alex Bruno Doesn't Ride With The Junior Team
Chapter Nine: The Trail and The Strange Car
Chapter Ten: Tack Room Arguments
Chapter Eleven: Who's Going To Compete?
Chapter Twelve: Thieves At The Door
Chapter Thirteen: Cooking With Italians
Chapter Fourteen: Jessica's Lesson
Chapter Fifteen: Mean Girls At Shows
Chapter Sixteen: Time To Fly
Chapter Seventeen: Breaking Down
Chapter Eighteen: Hello Mother
Chapter Nineteen: Happy Birthday
Chapter Twenty: Race Time
Chapter Twenty-One: Please Forgive Me
Chapter Twenty-Two: Under The Tree
Chapter Twenty-Three: The Chase
Chapter Twenty-Four: Here We Go Again
Chapter Twenty-Five: The Truth Comes Out
Chapter Twenty-Six: Party Time
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Admit it
Chapter Twenty-Eight: What Happens Now?
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Is It True?
Chapter Thirty: The Show of Secrets
Chapter Thirty-One: Getting Them Back
Chapter Thirty-Two: Hidden In the National Park
Chapter Thirty-Three: Another Sweatshirt
Chapter Thirty-Four: Going Home
Chapter Thirty-Five: A New Chapter

Chapter Two: Antonio Bruno: Everyone's Hero, Alex Bruno: His Moody Son

108 10 11
By lily06ride

Justin pulls the car towing the float holding Virgo into the driveway of SEC and a wave of nerves hit me as I take it all in. The stone gates we pass through look old in a beautiful way like they hold a million memories. The white, gravel road is windy and at every bend, I clench the passenger seat tight. Bushes pruned to perfection line the roadside and the grass is so green, not like typical grass I see which is always yellow and crunchy. The groundsman must be paid heaps to keep up this amount of gardening.

 I can see a couple of cross country fences built on the outskirts of a cluster of thick pine trees-that gets my heart racing. In the distance, I spot a large arena with a showjumping course set up with high-quality jumps put up to a height that even the thought of jumping scares me. My eye is drawn to the stable that is set off to the right surrounded by paddocks and white picket fences. Virgo will be happy here if we make the team. That's a big 'if' though.

 I slink back down in my seat and thoughts of failing wrap my mind. This is not the quaint, old riding school I'm used to. The best riders train here, I'm crazy to think I'll be good enough. I want to go home now. Will save me the humiliation of not making the Junior Competition Team.

"Penny for your thoughts, Miss Maddie?" Justin asks.

I run my fingers faster through my hair. "I'm definitely not good enough to be here, Justin. Please take me home."

"Why's that?" Justin's face clouds with confusion.

"You work here don't you?" I exclaim, waving my hand at the window.

Justin just chuckles and I pull my arms across my body. "I'll never make the team."

"Sure this place may have money and a lot of flashy facilities. Yes, the riders here may have the best horse or the most expensive tack," Justin says, "but having all these things doesn't mean anything. It's how you ride and treat your horse that matters."

Justin's wise words make sense. I've known plenty of kids at my old riding school that owned the best tack and an expensive horse but I was still a better rider than them. The self-doubt still doesn't leave me though and I clench my jaw tighter with nerves.

"I'm sure you will do great," Justin says with his smooth voice. 

I nod, pretending to agree.

"We will drop you two at the stables first. You can talk to Antonio and he will talk you through the process of tryouts while I get Virgo and all his tack settled in," Justin explains.

"Ok, that sounds-wait-talk to, Antonio!" I cry.

Justin tries to hold back a laugh. "Of course, he is in charge of this place, Miss Maddie."

"I-I can't!"

Antonio Bruno is so much of a hero to me I could never have a proper conversation with him without fangirling. Margo and I used to watch all his old Olympic cross-country rounds on replay. He's Italian but has always competed for Australia. At the Olympics, he has won four gold medals and two silver-because I'm such a nerd I remember this-in eventing. He is the reason why I've come to SEC, to be trained under his guidance. But most importantly he is why I want to be a professional.

"Isn't he, your hero?" asks Justin.

"I mean, yeah," I whisper. "But I would just make a fool of myself. I mean this is the SEC, it's so professional. I can't just fangirl."

"Then become Antonio's friend," Justin suggests. 

The car suddenly stops.

"I can't just do that, he's could be my future coach and an Olym-hey! Where are you going?"

Suddenly Justin steps out of the car and gives his back a stretch. I scramble to open the passenger's door and hop out, to follow Justin to the float behind the car. Each SEC vehicle has the team colours, red, white, and black, and a collage of photos of the amazing SEC riders printed on it.

Justin opens up the straight load float and I walk Virgo off, giving his nose with a white snip on it soft strokes.

"Good boy," I say in a deep voice, "we're about to do this."

Virgo walks off the float well but sticks his head up and lets out a loud whinny to announce his arrival. He shows off his gleaming bay coat and his handsome 16.2h, thoroughbred structure. His feet start shuffling all over the place though and his nostrils flare.

"Virgo, you're eight, not two. Behave," I sigh, stroking his neck. Virgo just shoves me.

"He doesn't have a stall since you don't have a spot on a team yet, but for now toss him in stall 23. I will put away his tack in cubby 7." Justin hands me a small black key. "For safety reasons," he smiles. 

I smile back as he strides away in his tan jodhpurs and a red polo top. I don't want him to leave and my stomach starts to churn. I want to seem professional but really, I'm scared to get lost exploring this place and look like a fool in front of Antonio. Virgo pushes his head into my stomach, getting impatient.

"Alright, alright. We'll be fine," I tell him, stroking his chocolate ear.

"I'll tell Antonio you are here, you're the last candidate to arrive," Justin adds, over his shoulder.

"Or not," I correct.

With Virgo's navy blue lead rope in hand, I hold Margo's necklace with the other and walk towards the stable. Normally I love the sound of Virgo's hooves crunching under gravel, it's soothing, but every time he steps I cringe. I think we are scattering the white gravel all over the well-groomed path we walk along.

It is just one of the many paths that work their way through paddocks and arenas to find the heart of the equestrian centre at SEC-the stable. I know where I am going from hours of stalking the website. It had been full of detail about the riding program, the facilities, and the famous riders that have trained here.

 We take a right down another pathway-this place is truly exquisite-and in a paddock full of horses I spot a jet black horse with a stunning blaze. It pins its ears back at Virgo, showing its anger, while his paddock mates whinny in greeting. The horse looks familiar and no matter how hard I think I can't remember where I have seen it. 

Soon I'm in front of the stable, just standing there. Imagine a stable that came out of the movies. It is tall and spacious and made out of dark brown wood that makes it look expensive and grand. The isles have been swept clean like a hospital and each horse seems to have a spacious stall with the same dark wood doors and silver bars that seem to twinkle for some reason. From the outside, I can't see spaces for wash bays or tie-up areas but I'm sure they are in the stable somewhere. 

I stand still for a bit, just taking it all in. I wish Margo was here to see this and I wish my parents were here too. But Virgo pushes me with force with his head again. I get the message and walk inside.

The floor is cobblestone and in each spacious stall, a fit and muscular horse is in each one. Grooms run around looking after these horses like a well-oiled machine, one oiled by Justin I'm sure. A few smile at me as I count the stall numbers to find 23. I then find it. It seems older, I mean all these stalls are in great condition, but the wooden door's colour is slightly faded. It'll do Virgo well though.

I look at the nameplate on the stall door. Charcoal is engraved on the golden plate but dust covers it up so it is hard to read.

"An old horse that used to live in here or something," I whisper to Virgo, running my fingers through his short, thick mane. 

I open up the stall door and walk Virgo in. "Well, here you go chocolate head."

I unclip Virgo's lead rope from his halter and leave the roomy stall, shutting the wooden door behind me. Virgo sniffs the shavings on the floor, then he goes and dips his snout into the blue water bucket but doesn't drink. He finalizes his exploring by getting on the ground with a grunt and rolling in the new shavings. He must be also thinking this isn't just your regular rundown stall at Cooma.

"Hey, hey chocolate head! I spent hours grooming you yesterday so you were SEC ready," I complain from the stall door.

Virgo just snorts, shavings clinging all over his body. 

"Fine, fine. Enjoy yourself before our tryouts."

With Virgo settling in it feels like I can finally breathe.

"Madison Smith!"

Or not.

A tall man comes running towards me, black tall boots clean and sharp and his own red polo shirt crisp and clean. It takes me a moment, then I recognize the dark, cropped hair, the Italian accent, and the stubble that lines his face. It's Antonio Bruno!

As I'm gazing at this equestrian legend he is suddenly standing in front of me.

"Welcome, welcome," Antonio cheers in his sweet accent.

Antonio. Standing in front of me. I mean he's here, really here!

"Nice to meet you, Maddie," Antonio presents his hand to me, "my name is Antonio Bruno, I'm the head coach here at SEC."

I take his hand and shake it, maybe too willingly. "I know who you are, sir."

Stupid! That sounds too fangirly, I shout at myself.

Antonio just smiles, nicely not awkwardly, at my blurted out mess. "I'm glad your here, Maddie. You're a promising candidate for the Junior Team from the videos your riding school has sent me."

"Thank you. I'm glad I'm here, even if it is only for a small while, so you can see me ride." My voice just keeps getting higher and higher and stupider and stupider.

"I have actually seen you at a couple of horse trials before at Canberra and Tamworth," Antonio adds.

I swallow hard. Wow, he has seen me ride. Deep breaths. Your idol has seen you ride before. It's fine!

Warm breath touches my neck and I look to see Virgo eagerly trying to get in on the conversation. Antonio laughs at my pony and gives his neck a gentle pat. "And you must be Virgo. Welcome."

I slip Virgo a carrot from my pocket. He is good at first impressions.

"All things going well for you, hopefully, we will find him a real stall," Antonio continues.

Hopefully? No, I'm determined to get that spot.

Antonio's words fill me with hope but I still wonder about who was in this stall before, Virgo. "Thank you, Antonio, but who was in this stall before, Virgo? The nameplate says Charcoal and appears old."

The ex-Olympian pauses for a moment. "Oh, Charcoal was a horse belonging to a girl who left last year. A lot of old nameplates are still up from last year since it is only February."

"Yes," I laugh.

I give Virgo another carrot and whisper to him while scratching the snip on his nose-my most favourite part of him. I almost forget my idol is standing right there. I hang the lead rope on the stall door while I continue to scratch Virgo before facing Antonio. 

"You love him a lot?" he asks.

"I think it is an injustice to buy a horse and not love them and provide them a good home," I respond.

 Antonio smiles. "You seem special Maddie. I hope you ride well for me as I think you and your horse have something special that I would love to grow."

I try really hard to not fangirl at what Antonio just said to me and I thank him for his kind words. I mean, it's not every day a retired Olympian tells you these kinds of things. Antonio peers around my shoulders and I turn my head to follow his gaze.

"Alex!" calls Antonio, his voice echoing down the spacious isles. 

A boy dressed in a grey hoodie looks up from talking to an older woman who is grooming a chestnut pony. The boy walks over to us, jamming his hands in his pockets and making his body language cool and unwelcoming.

"Maddie this is Alex, my son," Antonio says, wrapping an arm around the boy's shoulders. "I think he is your age? Fifteen, right?"

I pause. "I turn fifteen in a few months."

"Great! Alex turned fifteen two weeks ago."

"Dad," Alex groans, hiding his face from me.

"Sorry. Anyway, Alex, this is Madison Smith, she is trying out for the Junior Competition team today and is from Cooma." Antonio stops for a second and I wave at Alex who just rolls his eyes without his dad seeing. "Maddie is staying at the clubhouse until her future here is decided."

Alex shrugs and gives me a cold stare which makes me nervous. What have I done?

"Take her up and maybe give her a tour will you, Alex? He's Also on the Junior Competition Team."

Alex starts to walk away. "Sure."

Antonio rubs his hand on the back of his neck. "Ignore his manners. Ever since my wife died he has had this bitterness to the world."

I sigh and think of what Antonio just said. I remember when his wife Gina Bruno first died and it was broadcasted on the news. Margo and I watched the story together and I remember her explaining how and why she died. Gina dying was the first experience of death I had ever encountered. Little did I know that Margo's death nearly three years ago would make me feel much worse.

"Your dad also informed me about your struggle with the death of your sister," Antonio murmurs.

I fall silent and my eyes are drawn to my boots. Antonio puts a firm hand on my shoulder. "I know that it can't do anything but I'm sorry Maddie. Your dad tells me you two were close and if you ever have to talk..."

Antonio stops talking and I look up again holding my breath while my body slowly quivers.

"Now run along," Antonio sighs, probably knowing his words can't help the way I feel.

|Can readers pls comment on what you think about the story? Would really appreciate it! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1K 119 38
This is the first book in the Snow View Riding Academy series. This is probably a four book series. There are a group of 6 main kids going through a...
100K 4.5K 42
For Madison Evans, success in the harsh world of eventing has always been a distant dream; ambitions of competing at the infamous Rolex Kentucky Hors...
943 38 27
The first half of Kaylin Podmore's sophomore year of high school was pretty intense for someone who usually tries to keep away from the drama. It see...
1.9K 203 49
Teen romance + Murder Mystery + Royals + Horses = one heck of a roller coaster! Lauren's life is normal. The daily routine of wake up, get dressed, g...