His Innocent Rose (Hinley Man...

By RaeySam

-Damian Davensport- He was the next Duke of Hinley and all of his Father's responsibilities fell into his sho... More

Chapter One: The Master is Home
Chapter Two: Engaged and Enraged
Chapter Three: An accident
Chapter Four: Old stirrings
Chapter Five: Hesitation for decisions
Chapter Six: The Chase
Chapter Seven: Cornered
Chapter Eight: A motherly offer
Chapter Nine: Morning ride after
Chapter Ten: Unwanted confession
Chapter Eleven: A lady's plan
Chapter Twelve: Lordly Encounters
Chapter Thirteen: Suprise guest
Chapter Fourteen: Ripped feelings
Chapter Fifteen: One desirable meeting
Chapter Sixteen: Steps taken and another to take
Chapter Seventeen: Family dinner
Chapter Eighteen: Unguarded impulse
Chapter Nineteen: Plan gone wrong
Chapter Twenty: Abducted
Chapter Twenty-One: That white dress
Chapter Twenty-Two: Men talk
Chapter Twenty-Three: Unveiling
Chapter Twenty-Four: A Tryst
Chapter Twenty-Five: Afternoon tea
Chapter Twenty-Six: His Majesty
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Handful
Chapter Twenty-eight: It's a must
Chapter twenty-nine: Day before the wedding
Chapter Thirty: Night before the wedding
Chapter Thirty-one: Tying the knot
Chapter Thirty-two: Mine
Chapter Thirty-three: Who are you?
Chapter 34: The departure
Chapter 35: Hand me downs
Chapter 36: One rainy afternoon
Chapter 37: Dew drops
Chapter 38: Fire
Chapter 40: Seductress
Chapter 41: The City
Chapter 42: Dinner party
Chapter 43: Escort
Chapter 44: Noble guests
Chapter 45: Corsets
Chapter 46: Blush
Chapter 47: Allerdale Rooms
Chapter 48: Confused for love
Chapter 49: The first suitor
Chapter 50: Princely intervention
Chapter 51: Presumed scandal
Chapter 52: Curiosity
Chapter 53: Seemingly challenge
Chapter 54: Knight's bell tower
Chapter 55: Surrender
Chapter 56: Scheme
Chapter 57: On bended knee
Chapter 58: Engaged and Enraged...again
Chapter 59: Knight over flowers
Chapter 60: The helpful prince
Chapter 61: Search and you shall find
Chapter 62: What is the truth?
Chapter 63: Barfield
Chapter 64: The final piece
Chapter 65: Under siege
Chapter 66: Unveiling, once more
Chapter 67: Habsurg
Chapter 68: Rheinhold
Chapter 69: Bloodline
70: Love and Protection
Author's note

Chapter 39: Royal ride

71 2 0
By RaeySam

"A prince never lacks legitimate reasons to break his promise."

-Niccolo Machiavelli
⚜️

Spendell's awoke to a bright sunny day. Birds chirped against the windows, promising a wonderful weather ahead.

Em rose from her bed and stretched. She had slept enough and now it was time to get up and assist her mistress with her morning routine. She was just buttoning up her dress when she heard a slight tump outside her door. Her ears perked up but the sound never came up again. Curious, she left one button open and pulled the door open.

She saw her spare blanket and borrowed pillows neatly piled on the couch. The fire had died down but a few embers glowed still. Alexi was gone. As he promised he would go during the wee hours of the day.

She wondered why she felt disappointed at his absence. Was it because she carefully selected a pretty dress to wear today? Surely she had not expected the man to stay when the trouble was obviously over. But she ought to thank him for staying the night, no matter how improper it was.

The clock chimed and she remembered her duties. Em finished her hair in a neat plait and buttoned up her dress before emerging from her room.
***

"We shall continue on our way after we break our fast, Rose. Do be a dear and join us, hmm?"

"I'd be honored to, Lucille." Em replied as she put away her mistress's night gown.

"Now, I ought to tell you that we've dealt with Mr. Stanley."

"And I am grateful, Lucille. Truly, I am. And I apologize for having you trouble you so."

Lucille shook her head and hugged Em. "You have not troubled me, child. Even if you were not my companion I'd still do everything in my grasp to help you. And it does grant you wonders being married to a Duke, won't you say so?"

Em smiled, "You told the Duke?"

"He is still the Duke of Hinley until everything is finalized and he is the authority around here. You do know he can be quite intimidating when he's given the chance." Lucille giggled. "That man will never lay a finger on you, Rose. I promise."
***

Breakfast was quite and Em was given a short respite when the servants had started loading up their trunks into their carriages. She sat by the lobby and leafed through the newspaper left for the guests to look at. She was at that situation when a pair of slippers appeared before her. When she looked up she saw Lady Cresilda smirking down at her.

"Leaving so soon, little servant?" The lady asked her.

Em averted her eyes and pretended not no see her. The lobby was empty save for the serious looking receptionist who looked bored at the desk. But Cresilda was not having it. The woman sat down and pulled out a newspaper only to fan it around Em's face.

"These are a day late. Where is the gossip section when a lady needed it?"

Em remained mute. She had no energy to exchange words with her. Her fingers flipped through the pages but none of the words made sense to her. She just wanted the woman away from anywhere near her.

"Anything interesting in that paper?" Cresilda asked, her lips twisted on that nasty smile. "I am surprised why you even try to read. What do you get in all these?"

Em took a deep breath and put the paper down. "I simply would like to know what is happening, my lady."

"Bahh.. you are reading the politics section. Are you not only dumb but boring as well?"

"What do you suggest I do, my lady?" Em asked, noting that Cresilda was not being her usual self.

Cresilda rolled her eyes. Something a proper lady out not to do. Clearly something was not right. "I am supposed to be on my way to Westershire but I could not find my friend Aurelia. I am to ride with her. When I asked for her valet I was told she had packed late last night and went home, while the rain was pouring heavily! Can you believe she left me here? With no carriage to either go home or towards the city."

Em blinked. Lady Aurelia went back home? But why... but then she had an idea. Alexi told her that Mr. Stanley was with a lady and coincidentally it must have been Lady Aurelia. Did she get into trouble?

Cresilda sighed, "I knew it was a bad idea to ride with a spinster when I am on my way to my fourth season. Women my age have married and started a family while I am still living at the family manor. Aurelia simply offered since she had no close friend to accompany her. Not even her relatives in the city wanted to house her. So we rented a house for ourselves. It was not very grand but it was all I could afford. And my parents refused to provide me my own carriage to cut down costs. But I guess I shan't be going anywhere at all."

Em thought that the woman could hire a hackney and simply go home with her remaining money but she could tell that Cresilda badly wanted to partake in the season. The woman must be desperate to marry. She was three and twenty, an age considered to being on the shelf. But there was simply nothing she could do, being a servant and all.

"Have you tried asking wether Lady Aurelia shall be coming back? Mayhap she had left something of import back home?"

Cresilda stared at her as if she said the stupidest thing in the world. And Em felt that she did. "Are you daft? She left me and is not coming back soon, mayhap not until the next season. Is that not clear?"

"I apologize, my lady. I simply could not fathom why she would leave you."

"Well, that is just how Aurelia is. She decides about things and then changes her mind the next day. 'Tis no wonder why she has not married yet. The woman is simply incomprehensible."

Em agreed with her. Lady Aurelia was already eight and twenty yet she had not shown any promising engagements. Any gentleman who was seen with her was never linked anywhere near her again.

"I simply cannot stay here not with my meager allowance," Cresilda continued while biting her lip, "you must lent me your assistance."

"W-what? Why me?"  Why is she suddenly leaning close to her?

"Well, you are the Duchess' companion and good friend. You could ask her to allow me to share her carriage." The lady said with such confidence as if the previous night's banter had not occurred.

"But my lady, the Duke has joined our party. I am not certain how we could fit."

Cresilda's eyes sparkled, "Oh, I am certain we can find us a space."
***

Em could not stop Cresilda from approaching the Duchess. The woman literally dragged her from the lobby and sought out her mistress.

Lucille saw them and concern dawned on her face. She knew Em did not like Cresilda, yet here they were, walking hand in hand.

"Whatever is the matter?" Lucille asked and pulled them away from the carriages. The trunks were being attended by the servants but Lucille wanted everything in order, hence, her supervision. But having two women appear before her seemed much more important, so she left them and found an empty bench. "Lady Cresilda, you seem distraught."

Em turned and saw how Cresilda's jolly face changed into a worried look. Her eyes puffed and she feared tears were on their way. "Your Grace, I shan't impose but I seem to find myself without a ride."

"Is that so?" Lucille looked at Em who gave her a nod of confirmation. "I heard Aurelia has lent her carriage with you. Has she gone ahead?"

"No, your grace. I have heard she returned home." Cresilda's shoulder shook. "And I have already paid for the house we shall stay in the city. If I do not turn up soon, they will take the payment and throw out my things." It was as Aurelia planned, most of their trunks were sent ahead so they can travel with lighter baggage.

Lucille's face softened. She cannot possibly leave this woman here. "You are to attend the season, I presume?"

"Y-yes, your grace." Cresilda replied in a tiny voice. "My elder cousin lives in the City. Mayhap, I could write to him and stay with them instead."

"That you do, you may take your things from that house you rented. I cannot leave you alone to yourself without a chaperone. Goodness, what were your parents thinking? Riding out with Aurelia of all people?"

Em saw how Cresilda flinched when her friend's name was muttered. But she hid it carefully.

"Very well, you may ride with me and my husband. I am not due in a few days, I suppose we can drop you off."

"T-thank you, your grace."
***

Everything had been hauled unto the three carriages, including Cresilda's things. The fourth one with its specially chosen horses stood proudly in the midst of the others. They knew it belonged to the Davensport's. Vincent's own driver was already holding the reins, waiting for his master.

The Duke escorted his wife and their guest to his own blue gilded ride while Em made her way towards's the Duchess' gray carriage. It was the only one she could possibly ride as the other two were occupied by Lucille's personal servants and their trunks. The smaller boxes and bags were transferred to her ride as Cresilda's "light baggage's" consisted of three massive trunks and two leather bags. She pulled the door open and realized that she had to tiptoe and squeeze her way in, if she wanted to sit comfortably. This carriage was made to carry people and not things. It was built smaller and lighter. Not to mention that she had to endure the journey alone. She would have been happy to converse with the other servants but rearranging the set up would take some time. Her mistress would hate to waste any more daylight and so she had to make do.

Em sighed and grabbed hold of the door frame, she planned to push herself off the ground then swing her legs over the trunk that stood in the middle of the carriage.

"You cannot possibly fit in there."

Em shrieked and turned. "Alexi! What on earth are you doing here?"

The man shrugged, "I only planned to stay the night and continue on the next day." His eyes surveyed the insides of the carriage. "It will be a difficult ride, should you choose to move in there."

Em agreed but she tried to sound cheerful, "But I could place my legs on the trunk and lay back. With the window open I might just be able to read a book or two."

"And still not be comfortable. Come now, Emelia. You are riding with me."
***

The road to Westershire proved to be a difficult one. There were cattle all over the place, multiple times they had to stop for a few minutes until all ducks, cows and sometimes goats to cross the roads. No wonder Lucille wanted to start as early as possible, they could spend the day in their cramped carriages if they moved any day later.

"Thank God we have a wonderful weather today."

Em turned her attention away from the window. Her eyes saw the last of the farmers waving at them. "But the road still had a great deal of mud."

Alexi nodded. He sat across her and looked very much princely in his black and brown outfit. He let his hair down, a thing he found necessary when he was around Em. "I take it that you have never been to the City?"

"No, this will be my first time."

"I figured as much. Will you be staying long?"

Em did not know what to say. She was there because Lucille asked her to come with her but also planned not to return to Hinley. Not for many years, that is.

"Why the silence, Em? Do you think you would not  suit the City with your presence?"

"Well, why do you ask? Do you wish to know so you could drop me out of your carriage?"

Alexi chuckled, "I would gladly take you anywhere you want to go, Em. In fact, you may stay here with me for as long as you want."

"You don't have to, your majesty." She emphasized her last word, to remind him of their stations in life. "If they ever found out I shared a carriage with you, it will be a scandal."

Alexi merely sat back and said, "They would never found out from me. And if they do, I care not for what they say anyway. I still like you very much. Let them wag their tongues."

Em's ears burned. How could he say that so casually? "You can say that because you are a man. Words do not hurt you as much they do to us."

"No, Em. I say so because I am damned Prince."

She rolled her eyes. This was going to be a very long ride.
***

Hours passed and Alexi continued to tease and bully Emelia which she managed quite successfully. She knew he would tire soon, just as how aristocrats grew tired of exchanging banters with someone like her.

"Are you an innocent, Em?"

"W-what? Where is this coming from all of a sudden?!"

Alexi shrugged, "Your face is all red. Then you must be."

"If I am then you need not know that. You ask the oddest questions. Mayhap, you could take a nap and be quite?"

"I do not feel like sleeping. We are sharing the road for a few more hours, so why not talk?"

True, there was nothing else to do. But having a conversation with this spoiled little Prince was starting to get to her nerves.

"Can we have at least a civilized conversation?" Em proudly raised her chin. "We could talk about politics if you wish. But, I must warn you, I am quite entitled to a few opinions."

"Pfft. Boring."

"I beg you pardon?"

"I said, bo-ring." Enunciating the word clearly. "I prefer to talk about you."

"Whatever is boring about politics?" Em asked.

"Well, for one, I grew up with politics all over me. I am the crown prince afterall, I am expected to be a master in such craft."

"You are just being boastful." Em crossed her arms, "And I refused to talk more about my life. You and your servants had already dug about that."

"Perhaps," Alexi replied. A glint of mischief appeared in his eyes. "Should we play a game then?"

"A game?"

"Yes. One I am most fond of." He smiled, "Brace yourself, Em. You are about to experience what it means to be in a royal ride with me."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

582 72 16
Rose Beckett wasn't raised to be the Queen of Silva. No, she was raised to be the wife of the man who'd marry her and inherit the title of King of Si...
1.6K 498 29
Iris Mays knew being accepted to a prestigious high school as a lower class citizen would have it's ups and downs. But she didn't know one of those...
23.7K 1.1K 31
Her back was turned to me, but I still recognised the supple leather armour curved round her body. The first thing I noticed was that her helmet was...
159K 6.1K 20
The Second Book in the Bride Series Katharine was a peasant girl, living in the streets of Paris when the Lady Eleanor found her and turned her into...