Princess Thief [✔]

By xxsoteria

A princess in name, in body, and in blood but when her mask is on, she becomes the thief who's the enemy of a... More

Writers's Note
Gallery
Prologue
01. At Present Time
02. Magic of Disguise
03. Fedor Manor
04. Little Damsel
05. An Invitation Sent to Ace
06. Willow
07. The Gem and the Stone
08. Twilight Party
09. Reichen
10. The Second Day
11. The Brazen Knight
12. Haunted Past
13. A Visit from Carrion
14. The Royal Family of Ezriel
15. A Price To Pay
16. The Oubliette
17. White Bandits
18. The Encounter at Mt. Grisly
19. Never Ending Confusion
20. The Amica
21. Verdari, The Magic of Barrier
22. The Siblings
23. The Selection
24. Enchantment
25. The Princess and The Knights
26. Welcome to Deliora
27. Reid
28. The King and His Brides
29. Silverious
30. The Crusaders
31. Carline
32. Hypocrisy
33. A Liar
34. The Mark of Deliora
35. Renounce
36. The Goddess, The Fallen God, and The True God
37. Lost Treasures
38. Reichen's Earring
40. Resonance
41. Sun Month
42. The Goddess Temple
43. Linosas Kingdom of the Far East
44. Arvory Manor
45. Willow's Party
46. A Reaper
47. The Real Monster
48. The Last Treasure
49. Xenon
50. The Magic of Ace
51. The Dead Prince
52. Selfishness
53. Choices
54. The Fallen God's Curse
55. The Goddess' Blessings
Epilogue
Ending Note
Side Story: Cannaria
Side Story: Night
Side Story: Erodessa

39. His Identity

708 86 18
By xxsoteria

SKERPLA DAY OF THOR

A full week has passed and I couldn't be happier. Although we were busy during the evenings in investigating Lady Mhilrim's whereabouts, I was having the time of my life doing whatever I could. Things that I was not able to do when I was trapped in the palace.

Reichen had been accompanying me in my morning ventures ever since. As for Night, he was always too tired to go with me and explore the towns. He had to travel every day to Nurien which was two kingdoms away here at Areska where I and Reichen were assigned to search.

I insisted that he should find lodging there to make it easier for him but he rejected, explaining he would not leave me alone with a single man. I did counter him saying that I would move out.

It was not like I planned to stay here in the first place. I was aware of social rules and having two unrelated gentlemen in a single house was preposterous for an unmarried lady. In spite of that, both men adamantly refused yet there was not a single day they didn't have a dispute.

They plainly could not stand each other as they always fought for trivial reasons. They were like little children instead of the grown man that they were. The moment they were getting out of hand, I left immediately hence as I did a while ago.

I took my time roving the forest that surrounded the place. The cottage built was not grand but the property it resided in was a large one and filled with lush trees around. The scenery was heavenly and I could relax, only that when I was alone, various thoughts came to mind.

I could not tuck away the worry that came to me from time to time. It had been quiet at Ezriel. Too quiet for my liking. Night assured me but I doubted it. Father always took his time. He was set in stone not letting go of me for years and I believed he would not give up at this point.

"I finally found you. You walk so fast, Carline."

I swiveled to see Reichen behind me.

"Are you done with your pointless spat?"

"It is not a pointless spat. It is a serious matter and I'm sure I win. You do favor books as a present than a weapon, right?" he probed.

I breathe out a sigh. Before they had a row, we were celebrating my birthday not until they debated whose gift I liked. I was not even able to answer as they already had started debating my preference.

"Here, too." He handed me a small bouquet of edelweiss I did not notice he was holding.

It was a rare flower to be given with its white star-shaped and golden buds as it signified devotion to another.

"To put it bluntly, I was reluctant to give this I thought you might reject it since you don't seem like other ladies but I noticed how you love tending the wildflowers here and you never failed to stop at a flower stand every time we go out."

His word naturally startled me. The gifts Cindra and Night gave me were weapons, books, or trinkets. I never received a flower from anyone. He was actually perceptive. It was true that I loved flowers more than anything due to Mother. Flowers always reminded me of her presence.

The corners of my lips unknowingly lifted as I took it from him. I was really wrong about him. These days I never had someone paying so much attention to me. He had been so attentive that it was weird. Weird but comforting.

"Thank you. Where's Night by the way?"

"He's out fetching the horse. It's a shame we cannot stay here for your birthday."

"I understand. Finding Lady Mhilrim is of utmost important than celebrating."

"If it is not that urgent and Night's partner wasn't injured I won't have to be grouped with him."

"I can go in your stead if you want."

"No. It's better if you stay clear for this mission so you can skip work today. Take it as another present from your leader." He grinned and placed his arm around my shoulder.

Seriously. I didn't get Reichen. There were times he treated me like a lady but most of the time I wondered if he saw me as one. I realized he had no concept of personal space and my shoulders had been his arm's resting place when we started getting along.

He led me to where the horses were resting. Night was standing stiff in front of the portal lantern. His covered profile that was facing us was clouded with pursed lips and eyes that were blazing with anger visible even with the mask on.

No. Anger is not the term. He was full of wrath as he stared at it that he had not noticed we were coming nearer.

"... usual, monster. You never learn. Years had passed but you will still fail."

The voice said before it completely faded.

"Who was that?" I queried right after and Night jerked from apparent surprise.

"Some random bastard. Anyway, happy birthday again, Ace. And you. Get your damn paws off her."

I quickly squirmed from Reichen's hands and shied away. Wait. I shouldn't feel embarrassed in the first place. We did nothing wrong. I cleared my throat, regaining my poise.

"Thank you, Night. I'll see you off, then."

Night let out a heavy breath as his hands stroked the top of my head.

"You're already eighteen yet you never had a decent party even if you're a princess because of that dratted king. We cannot even celebrate today."

"It is alright."

"I'll definitely make it up to you when I went back."

"Me too," said Reichen.

"Shut up, you sod. Ace doesn't need you."

I cleared my throat before it got worse. "Guys, make sure you do finish your task than having a nonsense tiff, okay?"

"I can't promise that if he annoyed the shit out of me. Don't be a fvcking burden," Night retorted.

"I should say that to you in case you forgot I defeated you just minutes ago," Reichen quipped back.

"You were highhanded, bastard. You used your magic."

"You were using yours too."

"Guys!"

The two immediately shut up.

"If you won't stop. I'll substitute myself. I just can't see you succeed in the mission at this rate you're going."

"Fine..." they both grumbled at the same time.

They straddled their horses and finally left. I crossed my finger that they would not do something outrageous along the road.

***

After they were gone, I contemplated things. The quest for Lady Mhilrim's location had always been in the evening but they were leaving at noon right when Sullien informed us about the clues where Lady Mhilrim was.

I could not help but scrutinize it since I had volunteered myself a few times over lunch but it ended up with their debacle so it was off from my mind. In the end, I decided not to overthink. Not everyone was like Father that had a hidden plot in his every action.

My mind was pondering the whole time until I bolted from Willow's presence.

"Happy birthday, Carline!" she squealed and hugged me.

"Thank you, Willow. You must be tired from your travel. Have a seat."

"Carline, I deeply apologize I cannot stay long to celebrate when it is the first time we are supposed to. I just came to drop by to greet you and give this." She handed me a small rectangular box beautifully packaged.

"Thanks again. What kept you busy these days, Willow? Even Sullien said he cannot reach you."

"Um. Nothing."

Her eyes roamed and she was grinning stupidly as her body fidgeted. Willow could not lie for the life of her.

"Are you hiding something?" I questioned.

"Of course not!"

"That was such a strong denial," I commented.

"Um... Well... That is... Yves had been acting strangely and I am helping him with some things."

"What is it?'

"I'm begging you don't ask anymore, Carline. I can't tell you since we are not sure yet."

"Is that so?" Seeing her desperate look, I conceded and asked something else instead. "Does Yves know I'm here?

"He seems to have an inkling that I know but he didn't ask anything," she replied.

I inclined my head. Good. The less he knew, the better. At least I could confirm for now that nothing horrible had passed.

"I'm so sorry for today, Carline. I'll make it up to you, okay?"

I let out a chuckled since it's the thing I had been hearing from earlier."

"It's alright. I'll have to see you next time then. Take care of yourself."

***

It was just an hour when Willow left and Cindra came afterward with large boxes in hand.

"Happy birthday, Carline. Those foolish nobles kept pestering me and I was delayed. These are some dresses I ordered."

"Thank you, Cindra,"

I helped her put the boxes down and prepared tea. We still have the desserts Night ordered earlier and offered them to her as we talk.

"You're out of the palace at long last and I can dress you up however I want. I really wished I have a daughter like you," voiced out Cindra when we settled ourselves on the porch overlooking the vast forest.

"This is too much, Cindra. I appreciate the thought but I prefer to dress plainly."

Cindra smiled and reached to soothe my head. "Ah. You've grown so well yet Night seems to grow backward. I still could not believe he did that! It was fortunate that we have something to subside the enchantment but if it did not work. It would have been... I cannot even continue it. Your mother would have slaughtered me if she's alive."

"Cindra, it's been days already. Your voice was still ringing in my head after the endless scolding you gave him."

"He deserved it. He should've known this from his mistake but he endangered your life once again."

"Again? What do you mean?"

"Remember the day when Night was able to successfully take you away? That was such a horrifying accident. It was also that time we ascertained about your enchantment because he was so stubborn to return you to the palace that you almost died."

My forehead wrinkled at what she was telling me. "What? When did that happen?"

"You don't remember?"

I nodded still scowling as I tried to recall what she meant.

"Goodness gracious! All these years I thought you agreed to be with us because you apprehended Night as your savior," she remarked.

"He was indeed my savior when he asked me to be a thief on that day but I have no recollection of what you have said."

Cindra went silent for a while before speaking. "It must have been because you were so delirious. There was no way you could forget it if you were in good shape. Even Lady Mhilrim could not do anything to save you. Your eye color had returned to its original shade which was the worst thing that could result in that state."

"Lady Mhilrim was there, too?"

"Yes. She was the one who told us the enchantment cast on you but we had no choice back then except to return you to Ezriel for the time being."

I gawked and grew bewildered by the new fact. To think that even back then they abetted me to escape. Even if they did not succeed, just the thought warmed my heart. I was truly grateful for them.

"Nonetheless, I was astonished to learn you became a member. I'm sure Janessa would admonish me if she knew I turned you into a knight rather than a lady. Your mother is the most ladylike person I've met but she was not a snob noble, unlike those bastards I just met earlier."

"Why do you hate aristocrats so much, Cindra? You're one yourself," I commented.

She sometimes complained about them and when she did, the words were always vehement.

"Perhaps because their ethics did not suit a lowborn like me. They viewed the world with greed blackening their souls or rose-colored glasses that filtered what they just wanted to see. They did not grasp the gray zone that only the commoners had perceived. Well, but not everyone. There are exceptions like your mother and my husband. I think I have not told you but your mother and helped me when the whole Helia reviled the Amica back then and that was how we became friends."

It was a question on passing but I did not expect an answer. I was simply listening to her as she looked away with loathing in her eyes and continued.

"It was later we knew that all abhorrent was due to your biological grandparents who had been rampant on destroying the Amicas' reputation in Helia. Thank goodness Duke Rotteria adopted Janessa before she was influenced by their heinousness. They are bastards who succumbed to power and deemed themselves as gods when their magic was only a little blessing from the true rulers of this world."

"Is that why Mother never left Ezriel?" 

My time with Mother had always been spent inside the palace. My most precious times were always spent with her but then I realized after learning more things, Mother seldom went out of the palace. An unusual occurrence for a royal who had received countless invitations. 

"Yes. Janessa felt guilty about what her parents caused but none of it was her fault so she never steps foot outside Ezriel once again. She did not even grow up with them. Gratefully, no one disclosed her real identity except for me, the old Duke of Rotteria and Enmir." 

Cindra clicked her tongue in disgust after the mention of Father's name.

"Gracious! I can't believe I rooted for Enmir when he avenged Janessa to anyone who dared to ridicule her name. Look at that twat now. Making his children suffer from his shit."

"You've been swearing a lot, Cindra. Is that you, Night?" I jested, trying to avert the topic.

I didn't want to talk anything about Father, specifically the version that I did not know of. I didn't want any more that could make me relate to him for he did not deserve it after all that he did.

It was actually possible to detest someone so much. I had a small hope that lingered but it all vanished when he threatened me with my siblings. Did he not even care about my siblings that were not a monster like myself?

"What's wrong, dear. You're lost in thought."

"Nothing," I rebutted. "Oh, by the way, Cindra, why do you keep telling Reichen about me?"

Reichen had admitted he dug a lot about me thanks to Cindra. I did not mind but it was strange since I knew my connection with them was supposed to be confidential.

"I never did. Oh, hold on. He must have forced me. I swear that brat don't respect his elders."

My brows scrunched together at her choice of words. "What do you mean by forced?"

"It is one of his abilities," she replied, nonchalantly.

"He can control anything, right?"

It was Cindra's turn to frown. "Did he tell you that?"

"Yes." It was half-truth and half-lie but I said it with confidence.

"Then I have to admit the truth. He did control me at some times that's why I hated that guy's guts despite how talented he was. If Night didn't refuse the leadership, I would have given it to him, not that manipulative brat."

Her words sunk as a conclusion drawn in my mind. "Can he control people too?"

"Yes but I could not really fathom his magic since he was a rare type in which he is both a restricted and limited type like my son. They are more powerful than other Amicas."

Thoughts rushed up to my head forming countless assumptions.

"Is it possible for someone to be controlled to have the same voice as their controller? You know my magic can pinpoint one's voice however I had encountered someone with downright different features but they have the exact voices. Are they being controlled?"

"I don't think so but if you're pertaining to the similarity of voices yet different features it could be a pupa. They are puppets made by Elkan in collaboration with Reichen. It was similar to the portier. Reichen put his magic and the user could control it like it is his other self. So it is basically the same person, just with different appearances. Albeit, it was never released."

"Then can Reichen have those himself since it was his work?"

"I sincerely have no idea. Reichen is the most private among the members. Even I, the previous leader didn't know his origin. He just appeared one day and decided to join the organization."

"Are there any differences between a pupa and a human?" I pressed further.

"Now that I think about it, it was actually too perfect to be considered as a human that was why it was banned the moment it was made. From what I remembered there is no mark in the body of the pupa but with the user instead."

"What is it?"

"A six-pointed star near the heart."

Noted. I would just need to have the perfect timing to confirm my hunch.

***

SÓLMÁNUÐUR DAY OF FRIGG

The slow wind was serene as I leaned on a tree branch with a book in hand. A day had passed and both Reichen and Night had not returned yet. My mind raced thinking of ways to corner Reichen to see if he had the mark.

If not, then I had to give up for it would be difficult to seek Reid and King Freed just to satisfy my curiosity. If he had the mark, then... Then... Frankly, I wanted to be wrong. I had enough people lying to me and I didn't want to add another.

"Hey!"

Speaking of the devil. Reichen was raising his hand holding a black mask as he looked up to me.

"There's a gathering for the members later. You better put on your mask since a lot of people will be coming here."

I grimaced. "Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why would they come here?"

A smirk morphed on his lips. "Have you forgotten that this is the headquarters, Carline?"

"I know but why do they have to come here?"

"This is the only entrance to the underground," he stated matter-of-factly.

I made a face. "If you are staying here and you had mentioned that the identities of the members are supposed to be a classified matter. Aren't you afraid you're being discovered and you just told me now? What if someone sees me here?"

"Don't worry, this is a holy place. It is similar to the shrine at Mt. Grisly where only Amicas can enter and besides as the current leader, I am tied to this place and can sense anyone who comes and go."

"Is that so? Then please throw the mask up."

"You should go down."

"I can catch it. Or better, why don't you come up here? This was the book you recommended. I'm certainly up for discussion. I just finished reading this and as you have told me you like the stupid prince's character when the knight was more preferable."

At first, I perceived him as more of brawns than brains but it was my prejudice once again. I was surprised to see his collection of books when he showed it to me. To add, we actually had similar taste in books.

"He's not stupid. Foolish is more appropriate to describe him."

"They are pretty much the same."

"Of course not. Stupidity is the lack of intelligence but foolishness is a lack of judgment. As you can see the prince was smart when he aided the knight to discover the truth but he made unwise decisions due to the environment he grew up. Anyhow, can you go down now? It's hard to talk looking up."

"That's why I told you to come here."

"Are we really going to have a conversation on top of a tree?"

"What of it? The breeze is nice and I have a pleasant view."

He let out a breath as he positioned himself to climb. I moved a little bit to give him space but when I looked down he remained unmoved as he embraced the tree.

"What are you doing?"

"Climbing."

This time, he jumped on the trunk but nothing more. He was grunting and lifting his body but he didn't move in place. Laughter cracked in my mouth as his body slid down and he struggled one more time.

He was huffing on his knees and glared at me. "Is this funny to you?"

"Of course, You look like an idiot."

He angrily kicked the poor tree after glaring at me once again. "Damn it. Why can't I climb the tree?"

His words echoed in my head like a broken player. A scene overlapped with this one. A memory of a knight climbing a tree but he could not either. I quickly jumped down without wasting any second.

"So you finally took pity and---"

In one swift motion, I pulled him closer by his clothes and drew out his sword before slashing his shirt.

"What the hell? What was it for, Carline?" He recoiled with a dubious expression.

I scanned his body which was exposed by the torn shirt. He was too bloody last time and I was so transfixed with the white snowflake that I did not notice the simple mark right below his birthmark. A six-pointed star as small as a thumb mark was inked in his skin.

"Are you related to King Freed?" I raised the first question in my mind.

"Of course not."

A complete lie.

"Do you think I'm stupid? That is the fvcking Mark of Deliora in your body." She pointed at the snowflake birthmark, glaring at him. "Then how about Reid? Do you know him?"

"No."

Another lie.

Everything had fallen to place. I thought he was different. He was the reflection that I wished for. A person who could do anything he wanted without care and no restraint.

I adored Reichen for his free ideals he shared during my days here. The way he spoke without thinking made me think it was his personality and him being true to himself but no, he was a fraud too.

I had no qualms about it now. They had the same voices because Reichen was controlling the two men who did not have the proof of being an Amica.

He was Reid who assisted me and he was also King Freed who asked for my hand in marriage. No wonder I won the Bride Candidacy. The fvcking king himself orchestrated the whole event when all I thought was he was just being biased.

Imagine having your puppet win your contest. I scoffed at the idea. I was bloody played with. I thought I was a mere audience but I did not behold I unknowingly became an actor in a sick play. Again.

I did not understand this roundabout way when he could just be direct.

I had given him the chance to tell me the truth but he still denied it. I was being careless again to give my trust to people that I should never have in the first place. This was why it was better not to have any expectations from others. How I hated myself that when I was given only a small ounce I tended to repay twice than what they did.

I should have learned my lesson by now.

"You know what I despise? Liars. But there was one more I abhor. Manipulators. Congratulations, you are both."

I walked out as fury seeped through me. I did not want to see him at this moment but he held onto me.

"Who revealed about the pupa? Only a few were aware of its existence as it was prohibited to be made. Is it Cindra?"

"So what? Let go of me," I riposted when I could not be free from his strong grip.

"I... I apologize, Carline. I never deliberately hide it from you. I know how inquisitive you are so I thought to let you discover it yourself. If I didn't do it, do you think I will pique your interest if I ever came to you right away?"

He was right. As usual. Why did he always have to make a damn point? He did defeat me but once I knew who he was I would never be intrigued with him like I was ever since I identified that the three voices were so similar.

"Moreover, I didn't intend to make you find out like this. I initially wanted to tell you when you agree to our marriage but then you declined me and said how you didn't want royals so I cannot perceive what to do."

I swung around and his face came close to me. His violet eyes were lowered but it held the indignant exasperation.

I groaned as felt the same frustration as him. "Just why the bloody hell are you even doing all of this?"

Our eyes locked before he let out a breath of resignation.

"Isn't it obvious? I like you, Carline."

***

Note: Fun fact – Reid's face claim is actually a combination of King Freed and Reichen, he has Avan Jogia's eyes and Tyler Posey's nose Hm. So did anyone have the right guess? Another revelation in the next chapter, cutiefries

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.7K 4K 48
Secrets can be Powerful. ...But they can also be Deadly. Unable to weld magic dooms Julia to a life of servitude and drudgery. Desperate to break fre...
37.4K 4K 37
WATTYS 2018 SHORTLIST "Every person is a book, Yael. You just need to find the right way to read them." In a land where a deadly curse forces all to...
1.5K 94 21
All Autumn has ever wanted was to be able to live a peaceful life, but there always seems to be something that gets in her way. Her life has been alw...
938 87 21
It's a mad world and they're too good at hiding it. *** Sierra Montrose didn't like her life. If anything, she wanted it gone. The end. It was a life...