At the Boss's Beck and Call

By Sinaidkincaid16

She did not think he found her desirable. She was just his secretary. He did not think she'd want to go to... More

Synopsis
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14:
Epilogue

Chapter 5

548K 11.4K 1.3K
By Sinaidkincaid16

Savannah hesitated around the pool area, her eyes scanning all the young adults gyrating to an ear splitting rap song. How on earth do they dance to that?

'If you think you're going to get me to dance to that, it ain't happening.'

Savannah laughed, 'modesty looks stylish on you,' her eyes combed over Robert. On second glance, with Ross temporarily out of the equation, Robert was fine looking. He had intelligent eyes just like Ross. He was attractive, just like Ross. Robert looked good in his figure hugging jeans...just like Ross.

Oh who the hell am I kidding?

' If you carry on staring at me like that, I'm going to think you're falling in love with me,' Robert's eyes raked over her stunning body appreciatively.

'Your ego is colossal!' She arched an eyebrow critically.

He stopped smiling, his eyes serious for once, ' everything okay with the boss-man?'

Now why did you mention him?

'Yeah,' Savannah smiled. ' He just wanted to make sure our pillow talk won't involve me divulging trade secrets.'

' I knew it! I knew you wanted to take me to bed. 'I'm busy till Tuesday. I can accommodate you on Wednesday,' Robert pretended to be mentally consulting his diary.

Savannah laughed. 'You really are something Robert Morey.'

'Something enough for you to have dinner with me tomorrow?' His voice turned huskily soft.

He could see the flutter of emotions running though her mind. Did she have a boyfriend...lover?

Is Ross going to give me hell if I go out with Robert? Who cares? Not like I am going to compromise myself...ethically speaking, she grinned, she thought to herself.

'Does that sexy smile mean yes,' Robert asked boyishly.

' Yes,' her smiled broadened.

'Just so you know, I don't kiss on the first date,' he warned, straight-faced.

'I don't believe it!' she shook her head. He really was something else. 'I'll try and contain my raging hormones, hard as that might be,' she tried for a disappointing tone.

'Let's take that romantic walk that you were so rudely deprived of earlier,' Robert held out his hand to her.

'Sure,' Savannah felt comfortable linking her hand in Robert's. It felt like the most natural thing in the world. They'd been walking about and Robert had not stopped making her laugh. They were watching the bright full moon now. Robert was informing her about the shadowed figures on the moon. Savannah laughed disbelievingly.

'Hey Savannah,' Sadie Lloyd, the elder of Ross's two sisters appeared. She was twenty six to Ross's thirty two. 'Has my brother just abandoned you? That is very unlike Ross.'

'Hi Sadie, no,' Savannah smiled. She liked Ross's sisters. They were caring and so friendly. ' I was just with him,' Savannah offered.

'Good evening Robert,' Sadie smiled. ' I'm glad you're taking care of Savannah,' her eyes fell to their linked hands.

'You know I have a weakness for good looking ladies' he winked. 'My heart has only just recovered from you launching me and marrying that husband you're so in love with.'

She smiled, 'he has modesty issues,' she warned Savannah. ' Tread carefully with him.'

'It's a revelation that's rapidly unfolding, the longer I'm in his company,' Savannah laughed.

'Mum, I'm cold,' Nate her son, shivered, clutching his arms around his body. Water dripped from his swimming trunks. He looked like a drenched rat, only too gorgeous for his four years. 'Hello Savannah,' he smiled shyly.

'Hi Nate,' Savannah smiled. ' I think you need a lovely hot bubble bath.'

' I think so too,' his mum draped a huge heated bath towel around him. She used a smaller towel to rub his soft blonde hair just like his mothers. Amazing all three children had deep blue eyes just like the General. None had the mother's red hair or green eyes.

'These are nice,' Nate examined the mini grilled chicken burger he bit into.

' I think you need to eat as much as you can now' his mother laughed. ' You're going to fall asleep in your bath.'

'But I still want to play with Uncle Ross,' he complained.

Sadie sighed, ' I think your uncle's busy right now.'

Savannah followed Sadie's eyes. Ross was on the dance floor. His eyes were trained on the slim figure of a petite blonde in his arms. Even in her killer stilettos, she only just reached his chest. She was smiling up at him. Ross was turning on the charm, he was whispering in her ear. Savannah felt a knife wielding in her belly. Will she always feel this anguishing torture, every time another woman was in his arms?

'Hey how about our walk?' Robert murmured in her ear.

Savannah smiled at Sadie. ' Good night Nate,' she ruffled his hair playfully.

'Night Savannah,' Nate munched on his mouth full of chicken burger.

'Some champagne honey?' John Lloyd joined his wife, dropping a kiss on her cheek.

'No thanks,' she smiled, lifting Nate and dumping him in his father's hands. 'We need a bath,' her eyes fell adoringly on her little bundle of joy.

'I'll do it,' John smiled. 'You stay here and mingle.'

'Are you sure John? You've not eaten yet.'

'Wait for me,' he kissed his wife again. 'Be back before you know it,' he departed with Nate.

'Have you eaten?' Robert smiled at Savannah and led her to the buffet stand.

'No,' Savannah suddenly realized she was starving. ' This looks very interesting,' she eyed everything on display.

'I have it on good authority, you had a helping hand in the catering,' Robert smiled, adding some grilled prawns onto his plate.

'We use this company a lot for work functions' Savannah smiled. 'Their food is divine.' Ross's accusations came to haunt her. She quickly changed the subject away from her work.

Robert lifted a sumptuous looking horsd'oeuvre to her mouth.

'Mmm, salmon and cucumber right,' she laughed biting into the delicious horsd'oeuvre.

'Yep,' he smiled, his eyes staring into the depths of hers. Savannah quickly looked away. Robert held a chair out for her. 'Thank you.' She settled her plate on her lap and kept her eyes glued to the contents in her plate.

'That was divine,' Savannah put her plate aside and sipped from her glass.

'Dessert?' Robert offered.

Savannah was about to respond in the affirmative when she choked on her saliva, her eyes focused on the attractive frame confidently making its way towards her. She quickly gulped from her glass, her eyes not leaving his as he stopped in front of her chair. Her eyes widened when Ross extended his hand to her. Damn he makes me feel weak in the knees.

'Dance?' he offered his hand not allowing her the option of refusal. She refused to take his hand, refused to look up ...too shaken by the sudden level of sexual excitement.

'I... can't dance,' she returned somewhat disappointed. What she would give to be in his arms.

Ross thought she was lying, but when he saw the discomfort ... inadequacy in her eyes, he believed she was being honest.

'You just put one foot in front of the other' he murmured.

Savannah looked to where couples were dancing. It looked easy enough. Though they were hardly putting one foot in front of the other it looked much more artfully synchronized.

'Come,' he instructed, pulling her hand, before she could reject his offer again.

She looked to Robert, he nodded with a wink.

'Just follow my lead Savannah,' he literally lifted her of her seat.

Her hand closed in his, a tinge of adrenalin surged through her. 'I'm going to be an embarrassment to you.'

'I doubt it,' he grinned, circling him arms around her waist, keeping their bodies separated by a respectable distance. 'Put your arms around my neck,' he instructed.

Such a bully! Sometimes, she wanted to punch his arrogantly attractive face. That was so out of character. She swallowed, nervously obeyed, her chocolate eyes daring dangerously to meet his violet tinged ones. Savannah was trying to focus on the music, allowing the rhythm to dictate her movements, when Ross's palm covered the bare surface of her lower back. The second his skin touched hers, desire jolted through her, shocking her with its intensity. She wondered if he felt it too.

'This dress looks so stunning on you,' he complimented. His eyes were trained on her beautiful face, drinking in her youthful beauty.

'Thank you,' she mumbled.

He felt something quicken within, when his palm touched her heated flesh. He was surprised at his reaction, masked it quickly. She took his breath away. Her porcelain skin was meant to be worshipped and those gorgeous eyes... She looked sexy too in those scrappy sandals. Her hair was piled up on her head, secured with some kind of platinum studded pins. She smiled nervously.

Her smile was alluring, coupled with her sudden shyness, it made heat coil low in his belly. Desire spread like a forest fire through him. All he wanted to do was pull the pins out and allow her curls to cascade down the porcelain flesh over her sexy shoulders.

'Am I doing okay?' Her voice was soft, nervous...sexy as hell. Their eyes meshed, his heart did an odd little flip...damn!

'Yes,' he mumbled gruffly, drawing her up against his chest so she could not see the desire in his eyes.

Savannah inhaled. She allowed her cheek to rest on his chest. Through his silk evening shirt, she felt the heat and the rippling muscles bunch. He looked so adorable. If only he was mine. She berated herself for her maudlin thoughts.

He needed to drink in more of her. Their eyes tangled. Nothing else existed except, Ross and the music. His fingers splayed higher now across the bare skin between her shoulders, making her flesh tingle. She wanted more. Unconsciously she moved closer, her arms tightened around him. Did he just groan? Every nerve-end concentrated on him. The way his body touched hers, enticing, teasing all the time. The scent of his skin and the cologne; musk. His hot breath against her throat was like a kiss, it made a pulse spasm between her legs...what was that? She was disappointed the song came to an end.

'Thank you,' she voiced with a touch of desperation in her voice.

'I don't suppose I can convince you to another dance,' he said heavily.

'Robert...'

'Fine,' he snapped, his voice taut. He disengaged her hands from around his neck and led her back to Robert.

'I'm surprised he released you,' Robert teased. 'I thought he was going to monopolize you the entire night.'

'He can be a gentleman ...sometimes,' she laughed. She reached for her champagne flute and drained the contents. Dancing with Ross had certainly dehydrated her. What she would give to be in his arms again...in his bed.

'Fascinating, I've been looking at your eyes all night long, 'but  I've never seen such dark eyes with so much light in them,' Robert's voice dragged her back to the present.

Savannah rolled her eyes. 'You can make a fortune, if women paid you for every cheesy line you utter,' she groaned looking away.

She bit back a smile when she saw Tatum and her boyfriend Tristan Myles necking on a pool lounger. Tatum was leaning against the lounger. Tristan was leaning towards her. They were kissing. Savannah cast a cursory glance around searching for Ross. She did not have far to look. He was marching towards the young couple.

'Oh boy!' Savannah laughed softly. Robert followed her eyes.

'That guy should get a life,' Robert sighed.

He does have a life, a very, very active life.

Savannah and Robert could overhear the conversation even though it was feint.

'Hey dude,' Tristan uncomfortably greeted Ross.

'My name is Ross,' the intruder hissed icily.

Savannah cringed silently, pitying the defenceless Tristan.

'Tatum,' Ross scowled. 'I wish you'd date somebody who graduated from diapers to knowing where his trousers should sit.'

Savannah looked around and almost every other teenage guy there had his jeans hanging below the hip line. Poor Tristan!

'Ross,' Tatum stood up. 'You're embarrassing Tristan.'

'I'll throw him out if he does not keep his hands off you!' Ross threatened. 'I know you're eighteen, but we have guests here. Exercise some decorum Tatum.'

Tatum stared back at her brother with as much calm as she could muster before her eyes fell away. He was impossible, but she never challenged her big brother when he spoke in the tone of voice he just used.

Savannah decided to rescue Tatum.

'Robert,' she smiled and stood up. 'I'm going... to say good night. I look forward to ... tomorrow,' she avoided his eyes.

'Launching me already,' his tone was disappointed.

'Not for long,' she smiled.

'Till tomorrow,' he winked and walked away.

'Hey, you promised to show me all your gifts,' Savannah smiled at Tatum, ignoring her boss.

The expression in Ross's eyes softened. He knew exactly what his arbitrating secretary was doing. He killed the smirk attempting to widen his lips into a smile.

'Yeah, let's,' Tatum smiled linking her arm into Savannah's. 'Coming Tristan?' She held out her other hand to her boyfriend.

'I meant what I said!' Ross's huge frame blocked Tristan from moving forward. 'Watch it!' Ross glared at the young man.

'Yes Ross,' Tristan mumbled and side-stepped the big man.

'Thank you,' Tatum whispered. 'I wish Ross would not be so over bearing,' she groaned.

'He means well,' Savannah gave Tristan an apologetic smile. She knew Ross was trying to protect his sister but his draconian style was just so outdated.  Hello, this was not the dark ages. Even then they were more liberating she was sure.

'It's not like we were having sex or anything,' Tristan mumbled embarrassedly.

'Not that we've... had sex,' Tatum's cheeks coloured to crimson.

'Savannah laughed. 'Hey no justifications needed by me.'

'I wish you were my sister,' Tatum sighed. 'Even Sadie agrees with Ross and mum and dad they just allow him to play ...'

'Big brother?' Savannah laughed.

'Not funny,' Tatum laughed and Tristan joined her.

The following evening, Savannah had thoroughly enjoyed dinner and a relaxing evening with Robert.  He'd taken her to a  tiny Italian restaurant in lower Manhattan, nothing fancy. She liked that he had not tried to impress her. She had checked up on Robert and his family on the internet before going to dinner. They were from a very, very affluent family. They were very highly politically connected, from the interesting sites she perused. Robert had been born into a family of considerable power and wealth, generations and generations of politicians before Robert's father.

After their date, Robert opened the passenger door to help Savannah out.  He walked her to her front door. 'Thank you for a lovely evening,' he boldly leaned forward, his lips brushed hers.

'I thought you don't kiss on the first date,' she reminded him, her lips shifting to voice her thoughts.

'Surely this is our second date. I swear this is my second trip to your home,' he feigned confusion.

Savannah laughed. 'I guess you're right then,' she moved closer, her lips opened, invitingly.

She felt safe with Robert. He would never force her against her will. She liked Robert and his kisses were ....nice.

'Would you like to come in for a drink?' she invited, dragging her mouth away.

Robert searched her eyes. She was smiling. There was no hint of a promise of a night of passion between her sheets.

'That's all you're offering, am I correct?' He smiled, taking no offense.

'I only sleep with a man, after the third date,' her eyes met his teasingly.

Robert threw his head back and laughed. 'Let's have that drink,' he draped his arm around her shoulder as he unlocked her door and led her in.

Unbeknownst to the laughing couple, Ross was parked outside Savannah's apartment ... watching.

I'll kill him with my bare hands.

Ross slammed his fists angrily onto the dashboard. He jerked out his mobile to call Savannah. Surely there was something work related, he could call her about.

              -end chapter five-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

218K 7.1K 18
All he wanted was somebody that understood and she wanted to not feel this loneliness.
4.6K 108 6
Assistant - Boss. More complicated than that. Add strong will and clash of minds that leads to head butting and chemistry where sparks fly. You get...
1.7K 6 6
There is no greater ally, nor greater enemy, than the one who knows you inside out; who takes their time to admire your strengths and manipulate your...
1.2M 41.2K 32
He was never mine. He was always hers. But my heart decided to fall for his Not So Pure Love