Saving Melanie Deen

By ali_cher

"That's the funny thing, though. Loving me is a death sentence, isn't it?" *** Melanie Deen's world consisted... More

CHARACTERS
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 55
Chapter 56

Chapter 54

188 7 1
By ali_cher

Melanie's POV

I held onto Tyler's arm as we walked down the empty street. We left the bar after a while, once everyone calmed down after the incident with Ethan. Meg was mad at him, as always. Trent refused to speak on the matter whatsoever. Dylan was worried about me. And Tyler was angry, to my surprise. He was hiding something and I knew it. Every time someone said something about Ethan being weird tonight, he clenched his jaw. Come to think of it, Trent had a similar reaction.

 A comfortable silence surrounded us as we walked and I got lost in my thoughts.

''What are you thinking about?'' Tyler asked, nudging me a little.

''Something was off about him'' I spoke my mind. Over the last couple of months, I grew closer to Tyler. He was a great guy. I felt that I could speak my mind with him because he always understands.

He looked at me, a faint look of hurt flashing through his eyes but he quickly covered it up with a smile.''Yeah, something was different about him'' He agreed, thinking deeply about something. Another thing about Tyler- He always knew what I was talking about even if I was being extremely vague.

''Maybe he changed...after being gone for so long'' I shrugged, furrowing my eyebrows as I started to think of where Ethan had been all this time.

''Maybe'' Tyler sighed, shaking his head.

I leaned into his arm, confused by his sudden frown.

''What?'' I asked.

His head snapped my way and he was contemplating something for a while before flashing me another smile.''I don't like it when you worry your pretty little head about things that you cant control'' He explained with a charming smile.

''Wooow!'' I laughed, throwing my head back a little.''Such a charmer!'' I nudged him with my elbow. He swatted me away, chuckling a little despite his attempt to hide his amusement.

''Yeah, yeah!'' He sighed, smiling to himself. He's cute.

But he's not him.

''If you love him, you need to find out what's going on'' He spoke again, his voice came out forced. His tone made me feel like he knew something I didn't, but I didn't dare question it. Another thing I liked about Tyler- He always spoke the truth, no matter how difficult and unbearable it was.

''He won't let me in'' I huffed.

''Then knock down the door and barge in'' He shrugged, making me laugh. But there was no humor in his voice, which made me raise an eyebrow. He must be really drunk...

''Do I look like I have a death wish?'' I rolled my eyes playfully.

''No,'' He smiled down at me, his warm brown eyes shining under the street lights.''You look beautiful'' He poked my nose and I gaped at him.

''Will you stop that!'' I pushed him a little, rolling my eyes again.''I get it, you're hella smooth!''

''Sorry, I can't help it!'' He raised his hands defensively, laughing at my face.

I groaned but laughed anyway.

''Let's go'' He suddenly stopped, giving me a serious look. Oh Dear God...not a cop giving me a serious look...

''Where?'' I raised an eyebrow, stopping too.

''To his place'' He stared blankly at me.

What?!

''Are you crazy?!'' I exclaimed, turning a few heads our way.

He shook his head, taking my hand in his and leading me in the opposite direction. How does he know where Ethan lives?! ''Come on. We're gonna go sort this shit out'' He glanced back at me as he pulled me along. Wow, drunk Tyler was a whole different person...

''You're gonna be the death of me...'' I muttered but let him pull me along.

***

I knocked on the door of Ethan's apartment, a strange feeling in my gut. What the hell am I doing here? I definitely didn't sign up for this...

Damn you, Tyler Hunt.

''He won't open the door'' I gave Tyler a look, trying to prove my point to him.

''Then let's knock it down'' He shrugged, the alcohol clearly talking for him. I gave him a 'are you insane??' look and he shook his head.

''Let's just go!'' I whined, grabbing his upper arm. I tried to pull him away from the door but he didn't budge. Instead, he took a deep breath and whacked the doorknob.

To my surprise, it opened.

''What the...'' I muttered, slowly walking into the dark apartment.

I could tell that Tyler sobered up immediately, a look of worry finding its way to his face.''Stay here'' He whispered and pushed me back gently, making me stay in the living room while he pulled a gun out of his pocket. I watched him disappear down the hallway and I gulped.

As he entered one of the guest bedrooms, I felt an eerie urge to go to Ethan's bedroom. I knew where it was, thanks to that one night we shared.

So I slowly made my way to his bedroom door, my hands becoming clammy.

I stood in front of it, my hand hovering over the handle. A cold breeze ran over my spine and my heart stopped for a moment. Something's wrong. Swallowing my fear, I opened the door.

My heart dropped to my feet at the sight in front of me.

Ethan's lifeless body was sprawled out on the floor, a needle lying right next to him.

My body racked with silent tears but I still made my way to his body. My hands were shaking as I reached down to feel his pulse. I flinched when my fingertips touched his skin. He was cold.

No pulse.

I shook my head aggressively, letting go of his cold wrist and watching his hand drop down onto the floor. Try again.

I grabbed his other hand, doing the same thing. No pulse.

With a shaky breath, I fell onto my knees and dropped his hand. Try again!

I leaned over his body, shaking violently. I tried to feel his pulse on his neck multiple times as the voice in my head demanded I should keep trying, but there was nothing.

I covered my mouth with my hand, but that didn't stop the let blood-curdling scream from bouncing off the walls in the most frightening way.

Tyler came running into the room, only to stop dead in his tracks.

I let out a wail, pulling his lifeless body up into my arms. He was heavy but limp, and I somehow managed to place his head onto my lap. He looked so peaceful, lying there in my lap with his eyes closed. If I didn't know any better, I would've thought he was just sleeping.

The thought made me howl uncontrollably.

He's dead.

Tyler dialed 911 and I drowned out the conversation he had on the phone. All I could do was rock back and forth while petting Ethan's soft hair.

He was gone.

''Melanie?'' Tyler tried to talk to me but I ignored him, still rocking back and forth. I hummed a random melody, tears flowing from my eyes as I let my fingers comb Ethan's hair gently. His hair was a mess, telling me he was running his hand through it repeatedly like he always did when he was stressed out. 

''Melanie, please'' Tyler tried again.

I hummed louder, tightening my grip on Ethan's peaceful frame. He needed this. He deserved to have a peaceful ending. He deserved to go with the feeling of being loved and cared for.

So I sang to him, leaning down every so often to place a gentle kiss on his forehead. Maybe if I sang good enough, he would open his eyes and tell me it was all a stupid prank. Maybe he was trying to see if I really loved him. Maybe...he just wanted to feel cared for.

''Melanie you have to stop or they'll take you away'' Tyler begged me.''They'll think you've gone insane, do you understand?'' He shook me, making my head wobble as if it wasn't attached.

There was a knock on the door and Tyler sprung into action. He grabbed me with force and pulled me away from Ethan. His body fell limp as I was dragged away and I opened my mouth to scream but Tyler clamped his hand over my mouth. I fought against him as he carried me into the living room.

''I'm sorry'' He placed me on the couch as I started to sob.

The paramedics walked in and I turned away, pulling my legs up and hugging them. They talked to Tyler and I could faintly hear him telling them he was a police officer.

With that, everything went black and the last thing I felt was falling forward.

He was gone.

This time, he was gone for good.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

862K 24.4K 30
"They always say that a bad boy is like a fire and he needs snow to tame him and calm him down. Some may call me the snow to his fire. But that's not...
310K 10.6K 38
'I had guilt that ate me out from the inside and made me want to throw up. Guilt that started as a young child and continued to fester until I was do...
5K 180 66
Seventeen-year-old Rylee Evans just moved back to her hometown of Charlottesville, VA, with her dad and sister after being gone for three years. She'...
3.7M 118K 41
You've got one boy. One girl. One pretty little lie. A perfect relationship. The perfect boyfriend. The perfect girlfriend. The perfect dates. The pe...