Beauty and the Brewer

Av StellarStellaLeigh

*** COMPLETED STORY *** Book 3 of the Design Series. Could be read as a stand alone, but if you're curious ab... Mer

1: Ash - The Mastermind
2: Stuck in the Past
3: Reese - Starved for Friendship
4: Suddenly Nervous
5: See Where it Goes
6: Bitch-Wrangling
7: Winner, Winner
8: Aspiring Young Professional
9: Stop Trying to Run
10: Making Me Feel At Home
11: Let Me Have What I Want
12: I'm In Trouble, Aren't I?
13: Explain Yourself
14: This is So Happening
15: This Is Not Happening
16: I'm Falling
17: Backstabber
18: I'm a Grown Man
19: Personal History
20: Mick - A Private Tasting
21: Violated
22: Pushing Buttons
23: More to My Past
24: We Have A Deal
25: Game On
26: Betcha Can't Have Just One
27: Keep Underestimating Me
28: Keep The Energy Up
29: Feels Like the Right Thing
30: An Olive Branch
31: Nothing Wrong With Boring
33: It's Just A Mess
34: What I Needed to Hear
35: Now or Never
36: News to Me
37: Don't You Dare
38: Always the Rabble Rouser
39: Another Milestone
40: Met My Match
41: Perfectly Imperfect
42: Welcome Home
43: Gratitude I Feel In My Soul
44: I'm Hers Tonight
45: Can't Get Enough
46: She's Gone
47: Out of Tragedy Rises Beauty
48: Horrible Company to Keep
49: Message (Not) Received
50: Get to the Bottom of This
51: Playing House
52: I See My Life Come Together
53: I Just Might Shatter
54: Interwoven Intricacies
55: Pawns in Some Game
56: A Surprise Party
57: In Need of a Getaway
58: Never Want to Let Go
59: Take a Leap
60: Tastes Like Paradise
61: There's More To Life?
62: It Could Be Fun, Right?
63: Pawprints on Our Hearts
64: I Will Follow You
65: Accept All Responsibility
66: Taking Precautions
67: Avoiding the Reality of Tomorrow
68: Happy Accidents
69: What Else Are They Capable Of
70: Consumed by Fire
71: You Saved Me
72: At Peace in the Moment
73: Support Me in This
74: The Long Road of Recovery
75: Don't Ever Let Go
76: No Regrets

32: Us Against the World

190 29 2
Av StellarStellaLeigh

*** Reese's POV ***

We're back to our routine on Friday. Ash surprised me with how quickly he adapted his life to include my needs. I am so lucky.

I wake up nervous about the day. We're meeting Lu and his father tonight. I want to trust Lu, but Ash is right in being wary of Antonio. I just have to hope our plan works and doesn't set him off. Ash must be nervous too because while we're going through the motions as usual this morning, our playful banter is strained.

As he drops me off for the first part of the day, he kisses me sweetly and then just holds me close for a minute longer. I feel the need to reassure him. "Ash, it's going to be okay, alright?"

He sighs. "Of course, babe. Just a lot going on in addition to making sure we stay alive. I'm headed to my attorney's office to close the deal with Della. She's done holding anything over us come 10AM today."

"I just wish you didn't have to drain your savings to make that happen." I say.

"But it's like a truly fresh start being free from her, and with you by my side...man, I'm a lucky guy." He reminds me there are more important things than money.

"I was just thinking how lucky I was this morning too." I tell him.

"Looks like we're in luck together." He mutters and kisses me again. I feel it into my toes.

"Alright, time for me to get to work. I'll see you at lunchtime?"

"Absolutely." He confirms. I leave the car and look over my shoulder as I walk in. Ash says it's my signature move and I know it drives him crazy. I wink, wave, and enter the building.

"Reese. We weren't expecting you." Carlos seems shocked to see me.

"Really? Because of what happened last night?" I ask scrunching up my face.

Gini shakes her head. "Noooo, girl. Because of this..." She turns her laptop towards me. It's a series of pictures of me and Mick. They are from the night I went out for a walk and Ash got pissed I was out alone.

They look intimate.

Mick and I on the ground.

Him admiring me as I lift my shirt.

Him holding my hands from when he helped me up.

Him touching my bruised cheek.

"What the..." I don't know what's happening here.

Jordan starts to read. "As if Devon Lewis was not already experiencing the worst week with news that his brewery may be in jeopardy, it appears as though girlfriend, Reese Hutton, is being driven into the arms of another man. None other than, Mickey Nichols, Lewis's number two and assistant brewmaster. Sources close to the couple indicate that..."

I cut him of in a rage. "This is bullshit! Who wrote this?"

"It's the same anonymous pen name from last time." Gini says.

I scan the article. It gets worse as it suggests that Ash may have been the cause of my facial contusion and that Mick and I have been spotted getting cozy while my relationship with Ash becomes more strained.

"I need to contact the editor of this news outlet. This is libel!" I exclaim.

Carlos comments. "Those photos are pretty damning."

Gini yells at him. "Shut up, Carlos! It's obvious they've been taken out of context, right Reese?"

"Oh my God, absolutely! I can't believe any of you have to ask that." I feel betrayed.

Jordan is the voice of reason for once. "Calm down, Reese. We're on your side."

"This is you and that bitch ex of his, isn't it?" I accuse him.

Jordan holds up his hands. "Look I know I deserve that, but I swear I only betrayed your trust that one time. I don't even talk to Della anymore."

I put my head down, pinching my nose as angry tears start to well up. Gini rubs my back. "Let's give her some space, okay?"

I hear Jordan and Carlos leave the office. I let the tears fall as I break down at my desk. "I have never felt so simultaneously lucky and unlucky at the same time. I love Ash, but we just can't catch a break. Someone is trying to stir up trouble with this, Gini. And I don't think they're going to stop until it's over between us. What did I do to deserve this?"

"Let's start with seeing if we can get the story suspended." She says, focusing our efforts. We both get on the phone and see if we can punch through the endless robo tele-prompts. It's over an hour later before I hang up, frustrated more than ever. We aren't getting anywhere.

"It's ringing!" Gini yelps excitedly. I hurry over to her desk and wait anxiously. "Hello? Yes, I need to speak with the publishing editor...No, I won't hold. I have been stuck in your fucked-up system...who is this? I represent legal council for Reese Hutton."

"Gini!" I hiss. She puts a finger to her lips.

"Hello, Mr. Laughlin, was it? I am calling to demand you remove the recent story pertaining to Miss Reese Hutton and Mr. Devon Lewis...Why?! Because of it's blatant lies, of course! My client..."

I have to give it to Gini. She's really trying to sell that she is my lawyer. But then her smile fades. "I...I understand, sir. But how is that fair to anyone whose lives you ruin with your bullshit sensationalism? Well fuck you too!"

She slams down the phone and huffs loudly. "They refuse to take it down. Apparently your boy Mick already called. This prick editor will only offer to have you give an official, on-the-
record statement. He also said he'd sue me if I misrepresented myself as legal council again."

"Thanks for trying, Gini. I need to call Ash and warn him about this." I bury my face in my hands imagining Ash's reaction.

"Ladies, Mr. Gerber wants to know why you aren't on our team huddle call? I said lady problems, but he doesn't seem all too pleased with that response given that we have project launches in a week." Carlos informs us.

"Shit, right. I'll call Ash afterwards. It's not like I can actually do anything other than assure him it isn't true." I sigh and follow Carlos out the door to the conference room.

Gini gives my shoulder a squeeze. "This will all blow over, anyway. Just like the last story, but you gotta figure out who is out to get you guys and put an end to it."

"Everyone, it feels like. It's me and Ash against the world, apparently."

*** Ash's POV ***

It was a quiet morning around the brewery. I spent most of it in my office getting paperwork together for my meeting with the lawyer. Other than settling business with Della for good, I was also shoring up some other loose ends including who to will the place to in the event of something happening to me.

Having my life threatened and a gun pointed at me made me a little invested in figuring this part of my life out. My lawyer gave me a list of documents to bring. Now I'm on my way out the door as Carter is arriving to start his shift.

Things have been better since he opened up to Reese. He seems to be in really good spirits this morning.

"What has gotten into you? Did you find a pretty girl as an alternative to your hand?" I still gotta tease the kid.

Carter smirks. "Taking jokes from Mick's book? That's cheap, Ash."

I laugh. "You're right, but seriously what's up?"

"Today's the day someone finally gives Della a taste of her own medicine. I should thank you, Ash. I never thought I'd see this day." He says, pretending to wipe fake tears from his eyes.

"Carter, I can understand how you could think this is a good thing, but I'm about to be out a big sum of money. Seems like a win for your sister if anything." I reveal.

"No, man. Trust me...she's the one losing on this deal." Carter emphasizes.

I look at Carter curiously. "Alright. If you say so. I gotta go."

"Ten bucks if you snap a pic of her face." Carter offers.

"I'll consider it. I need to replenish my savings after all." I quip. As I'm headed into the lawyer's office, I see several missed calls from Mick. "What the heck is going on?"

I decide to send a text otherwise I'm going to be late.

Text from me: What the fuck is going on? I'm about to meet my lawyer. I'll call as soon as I'm done.

Della is walking up just as I arrive. She looks surprised to see me, which is odd. "Ash. I'm surprised you had time to deal with this today."

"Oh I'm plenty eager to close this chapter of my life. I'm here." I assure her.

"Well the offer still stands if you need help mending your broken heart or wounded ego." She offers.

"What are you going on about, Della?" I ask her to get to the point.

"Oh you don't know yet?" She arches one of her perfectly kept eyebrows.

Our lawyers hand us paperwork to sign, interrupting her ridiculous babbling thankfully. We sign, she is handed a check, I am handed a check for replacing my vat, and it's done. After Carter's gleefulness about her losing out, I'm surprised to see Della wearing a smirk still.

"I would say it's been nice knowing you, but well, you know..." I say to her as we wrap up.

"Oh darling. You'll come crawling back to me after you figure out the shitstorm that is waiting for you. Let's just say I predicted this coming from a mile away. Smooches!" She says, gleefully.

Now she's got me feeling paranoid that she has Carter or someone else doing something to the brewery as we speak. My lawyer stops me before I can leave, asking if I still want to handle the other business.

"I do. Just let me make a phone call real quick." He nods and leaves me. I dial Mick. No answer. I dial Reese's cell to let her know it's done, but also to see if she can help settle me down. No answer. "Shit. The two people I can rely on..."

I head back into the office to finalize the paperwork. In it, I name Mick as the owner of the brewery should something happen to me. There is an added stipulation that Reese be taken care of for the remainder of her life or the brewery's demise. I also add Reese to my life insurance policy. I have never had someone I felt deserved a piece of my legacy, but Reese...I know it's soon, but I'd be rolling in my grave if something happened to me and she wasn't cared for.

By the time I'm done, it's nearly time to pick her up from work. I swing by a small market I know and pick up a bouquet of flowers for her. I show a little early and head in. I ask for Reese.

I'm surprised when Gini comes up. She looks surprised to see me. "Hi Ash! Those are pretty. For Reese?"

"No, Jordan." I joke.

"Oh, haha." Gini laughs, but it's weird and hollow.

"Gini, where's Reese?" I ask just as I hear Reese giggle behind me. I turn and am surprised to see her walking up with Mick, the two of them laughing and looking chummy.

"Reese? Mick? What the heck is happening here?" I ask.

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

120K 6.9K 42
Born the first daughter of the Hell's Tribe MC-Carter McPherson has never been afraid to take risks and cause trouble. Even when she tried to behave...
37.8M 1.1M 68
Deadly assassins Allegra and Ace have been trying in vain to kill each other for years. With a mutual enemy threatening their mafias, they find thems...
3.7K 206 43
Angel Kent often wondered why her parents named her after a celestial being, especially when in her own opinion, she looked nothing like one. She wa...
14.2K 1.9K 65
*** COMPLETED STORY *** (This is Book 2 in the Design Series. I tried to write Book 2 as a stand alone, but if you're curious about what happened bef...