Beauty and the Brewer

By StellarStellaLeigh

*** COMPLETED STORY *** Book 3 of the Design Series. Could be read as a stand alone, but if you're curious ab... More

1: Ash - The Mastermind
2: Stuck in the Past
3: Reese - Starved for Friendship
4: Suddenly Nervous
5: See Where it Goes
6: Bitch-Wrangling
7: Winner, Winner
9: Stop Trying to Run
10: Making Me Feel At Home
11: Let Me Have What I Want
12: I'm In Trouble, Aren't I?
13: Explain Yourself
14: This is So Happening
15: This Is Not Happening
16: I'm Falling
17: Backstabber
18: I'm a Grown Man
19: Personal History
20: Mick - A Private Tasting
21: Violated
22: Pushing Buttons
23: More to My Past
24: We Have A Deal
25: Game On
26: Betcha Can't Have Just One
27: Keep Underestimating Me
28: Keep The Energy Up
29: Feels Like the Right Thing
30: An Olive Branch
31: Nothing Wrong With Boring
32: Us Against the World
33: It's Just A Mess
34: What I Needed to Hear
35: Now or Never
36: News to Me
37: Don't You Dare
38: Always the Rabble Rouser
39: Another Milestone
40: Met My Match
41: Perfectly Imperfect
42: Welcome Home
43: Gratitude I Feel In My Soul
44: I'm Hers Tonight
45: Can't Get Enough
46: She's Gone
47: Out of Tragedy Rises Beauty
48: Horrible Company to Keep
49: Message (Not) Received
50: Get to the Bottom of This
51: Playing House
52: I See My Life Come Together
53: I Just Might Shatter
54: Interwoven Intricacies
55: Pawns in Some Game
56: A Surprise Party
57: In Need of a Getaway
58: Never Want to Let Go
59: Take a Leap
60: Tastes Like Paradise
61: There's More To Life?
62: It Could Be Fun, Right?
63: Pawprints on Our Hearts
64: I Will Follow You
65: Accept All Responsibility
66: Taking Precautions
67: Avoiding the Reality of Tomorrow
68: Happy Accidents
69: What Else Are They Capable Of
70: Consumed by Fire
71: You Saved Me
72: At Peace in the Moment
73: Support Me in This
74: The Long Road of Recovery
75: Don't Ever Let Go
76: No Regrets

8: Aspiring Young Professional

224 35 8
By StellarStellaLeigh

"Devon Ashley Lewis is described in his nomination as entrepreneurial, innovative, and committed to his craft. In the year since his brewery launched, No Regrets has earned three gold medals in national championships, a silver in state, and an honorable mention in international competition."

I can't believe my ears. They must be just reviewing all the nominees for this prize. I mean the event is so goddamn long it's completely possible.

"But No Regrets is not only known for its award-winning beer. Lewis, known by his friends and colleagues as Ash, is also committed to the community, raising over 25K for local charities in the last year alone. Please come accept your award for Aspiring Young Professional of the Year, Mr. Lewis."

Reese's coworker squeals excitedly. "Um, Ash? Go!"

I snap out of it and make my way on stage. Cameras are snapping, people are clapping. It's disorienting. I shake hands with someone who looks important who then gestures to the microphone.

"No that's okay. Thank you, though." I try to defer.

"Speech!" I hear Mick bellow from the crowd. Others encourage me too, following his lead. Why did that asshat open his mouth?

I step up to the microphone, clutching the plaque that was handed to me. Another camera goes off and once my eyes adjust from the flash, I see those liquid amber eyes peak over the camera at me. I can't help but smile as she mouths the word congratulations.

But then I see the scowling couple seated with her - Della and Jordan. Della looks downright pissed. I smile smugly at her.

"I would like to thank everyone who made this brewery and what we represent a reality. I am only one person who dared to dream and tinker and work hard. But it's the people who support and challenge me daily that really deserve this award. Please continue to support all the local businesses and find your own ways to give back to the community either through them or directly. Thank you."

The crowd applauds again and I make my way through the crowd and back to my table. I take a detour to pass by Reese who looks proud, but cautious as I come closer. As I pass by, I don't give two fucks who else hears. "You owe me a dance tonight, Reese."

"Yes, sir." She replies demurely. I look back over my shoulder at her and wink. When I get to the table, Mick lets out a loud battle cry and hugs me tight. It disrupts the introduction for the next award and draws the attention of the room.

"Thanks, Mick, but seriously they're going to revoke it if we're not on best behavior." I joke with a laugh.

"I'm pretty sure that isn't how this works. Hello, Ash." I look up at a weathered face that I wasn't expecting to see.

"Dom?!" Well screw not making a scene now! I hug my old mentor, friend, and the man responsible for setting this course in my life. He gestures to me and Mick to come with him and we step away from the event.

The three of us walk along a lighted path, catching up. Dominic moved with his wife from the island about five years ago. She had family in Southern California she wanted to be closer to due to their age and Dom wanted her to be happy. With few reservations, he picked up and left the only home he had known.

"I'm so proud of the work that you have accomplished, Ash." He says gripping my shoulder and making me blush under his pride.

"You asshat, Mick! You should have told me you called Dom to let him know about this." I redirect my emotion so as not to get misty-eyed.

"If I had known calling him was going to perk your sorry ass up, I totally would have went for it. But I didn't call him." Mick jabs back.

"Who do you think nominated you, son? I've been following your success even if I don't call or write as much as I should." Dominic confides.

"You? Man, Dom, I don't know what to say." He's got me feeling all the feels.

"Don't say a thing. You earned it, kid." He tells me and hugs me around the shoulders.

Mick basically grew up with Dom as a father figure too so he speaks easily to him. "He doesn't realize how good he is sometimes, Dom. I think this goes quite a way in reminding him of that."

"Well what he said is true too, Mick. He couldn't do it if he didn't have good people at his side. Now what's this about a sour mood?" Dom asks curiously.

"Nothing."

"There's this girl."

Mick and I respond simultaneously. I shoot Mick a look like "really?"

"You know Della is psycho, right?" Mick asks Dominic.

"I am aware there was quite a stir when she made Ash choose, yes." Dom puts it politely.

"Mick, seriously man..." I don't need my dirty laundry being aired, and truth be told, I'm a bit embarrassed to be nearly 30 years old and still needing dating advice.

Mick continues. "He's put up barriers that makes it impossible for him to meet someone, but he met this girl, smoking hot and sweet, but Della poisoned the well, and..."

"Mick, shut up!" I shout and try to swing at him, somewhat playfully, somewhat not.

"I was just going to say she's here." Mick finishes.

"This wouldn't be the girl you spoke with on your way back to the table, would it? She is cute." Dominic acknowledges.

I'm caught. "No!...Yes. Gah, I don't know. Everything was going so good until Della fucked it up."

"Well it looks like you're doing what you need to make it right." Dom doesn't push. He never has. He trusts that I'll make the right decision and he's always been there to either cheer me on or lift me up. The guy is more of a father than my old man ever was. Should the time come where I become a dad, he's the role model I'll look to for guidance.

We make our way back to the table and the ceremony is still going. I'm starting to doze off when I hear a familiar voice take the microphone.

"Good evening, everyone. My name is Reese Hutton and I am here representing Gerber Philanthropic Ventures, a sponsor of tonight's celebration. Mr. Gerber was unable to fly in as he is presently entering the sacred union of marriage, but he regrets...no scratch that, he would absolutely pick his beautiful bride over us any night."

The audience laughs. They are captivated by her. She is confident, charismatic, and animated. She has the room in the palm of her hand as she tells us a little bit about the organization she works for and their local projects.

"Well, as the newest team member and the one given the speaking engagement as a rite of passage, I thank you for being a warm and welcoming audience. We have a lot of talented people on this island and it helps to know they're the type of people you can pop down at a bar and share a drink with while talking about ways to solve the issues facing our small corner of the world. On behalf of Mr. Gerber, thank you. Keep innovating and caring. Please enjoy our remaining time. I'll be on the dance floor."

The audience laughs and starts mingling. I watch Reese come down off the stage and disappear into the crowd. I sit there dumbfounded.

"She seems to have gotten your attention. Don't shut yourself off to what could be, Ash. They aren't all like Della. Sometimes it takes time to find the one who fits your heart better than all the others." Dom says in a hushed voice.

I jump out of my seat. "I need to go get that dance she owes me."

"Atta boy, Ash." Mick cheers me on.

"What about you, Mick? You have to think about the example you're setting for Reilly." The smile falls off Mick's face with Dominic's truth bomb.

I leave the plaque at the table, pat Mick's back, and head off to find Reese.

*** Reese's POV ***

That speech was nerve-wracking, but it went well, I think. I mean judging by the people clamoring to talk to me, at least. Thankfully it has kept me from having to return to my table where Della had been making snide comments about everyone since Ash accepted his award. I don't even want to imagine what she was saying about me.

It's actually part of the reason why Jordan ended things with her. After the whole blow up with Ash, apparently she wouldn't stop berating me to Jordan. Through Jordan I learned that Ash wasn't giving in to Della anymore and she was pissed.

So pissed in fact that she got rid of Lupa. Had her ready to be transported to another island through a dog rescue program. I couldn't let that happen. I broke my resolve to stay out of their business, weaseled the information from Jordan, and arranged to adopt Lupa myself. It has been the best choice I've ever made. She is a loyal dog and she helped with the intense loneliness I've been feeling, especially after my blow-up with Della and Ash.

Gini and I have also gotten closer since she found me crying into my lunch one day shortly after the incident. I told her everything and she has been supportive.

I had shut him out, even after I knew the very reason why he couldn't stand up to her. But now something had changed in him. Having Lupa is also a constant reminder of him. I had just decided this morning that I would reach out to him, if nothing else to assure him Lupa was safely in my care. And then here he is tonight.

I am dancing with some guy who does environmental protection agency clean-up in the oceans when I see Ash walking towards us. He looks so dapper in that bowtie.

I overheard quite a few rude comments about his tats, though. As someone who has been bullied for being different, I know how awkward he must feel here tonight, a night when he should be proud. The good thing about his tats is that people automatically assume he has a rough exterior. They find him threatening.

"Mind if I cut in here?" My EPA dance partner defers quickly and scurries off.

As Ash pulls me into hold, I try to brush off my nervousness by making a joke. I also tease by using his real name. "I may need the name of your tattoo artist to see if I can up my threat level, too. What do you think, Devon?"

He growls. His eyes darken as he pulls me close. He grabs my chin and before I realize what is happening, he plants a scorching kiss on my lips. I am breathless. I am dizzy. I am hungry for what comes next.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 102 22
Alicia is just getting out of an abusive relationship. Her brother puts her in touch with a friend who's a former professional MMA fighter. Ruben "...
9.5K 307 9
That one-night stand with Gojo Satoru was a mistake. Utahime doesn't make mistakes, or at least she isn't supposed to. She's working hard at her Juju...
14.2K 1.9K 65
*** COMPLETED STORY *** (This is Book 2 in the Design Series. I tried to write Book 2 as a stand alone, but if you're curious about what happened bef...