Fish Out of Water

By DrewJes

Astrid is the crown princess of Atlantis, but she barely has time to worry about the kingdom with six younger... More

Author's Note
Meet the Mermaid Sisters
Part One
Scene One
Scene One II
Scene One III
Scene One IV
Scene One V
Scene One VI
Scene Two
Scene Two II
Scene Two III
The Sisters' Curse
Astrid's Curse
Elspeth's Curse
Anastasia's Curse
Liana's Curse
Calypso's Curse
Priscilla's Curse
Lina's Curse
Scene Two IV
Scene Three
Scene Three II
Scene Three III
Scene Four (Brendan)
Scene Four II (Brendon)
Scene Four III (Brendan)
Scene Five
Scene Five II
Scene Five III
Scene Fifteen
Scene Fifteen II
Scene Sixteen
Scene Sixteen II
Scene Seventeen
Scene Eighteen (Brandon)
Scene Nineteen (Brandon)
Scene Nineteen II (Brandon)
Scene Twenty (Brandon)
Chapter Twenty II (Brandon)
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-One II
Scene Twenty-One III
Scene Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Scene Twenty-Four
Scene Twenty-Five: Brandon
Scene Twenty-Six: Brandon
Scene Twenty-Six II: Brandon
Scene Twenty-Seven
Scene Twenty-Eight
Scene Twenty-Nine
Scene Thirty
Scene Thirty-One
Scene Thirty-Two
Scene Thirty-Two II
Scene Thirty-Three (Brandon)
Scene Thirty-Four (Brandon)
Scene Twenty-Five (Brandon)
Scene Twenty-Five II (Brandon)
Scene Twenty-Five III (Brandon)
Scene Twenty-Six
Scene Twenty-Six II
Scene Twenty-Seven
Scene Twenty-Seven II
Scene Twenty-Eight
Part Two
Scene Twenty-Nine
Scene Twenty-Nine II
Scene Thirty

Scene Twenty-Five II: Brandon

12 1 0
By DrewJes

Above me, I hear Astrid begin to cough, blessed sound that it is. Then she begins to cry out in pain.

"Astrid, I'm coming!" Fisting the raft material, I push myself upward- only to get kicked in the temple.

"Astrid!" I cry, losing my grip and falling backward, into the waiting claws of the water.e

Too late, I realize I should have closed my mouth instead of yelling. Then I choke as the water comes into it, into my lungs.

Just as I think the ocean is going to claim me after all, a pair of frail hands grab hold of my wrists and tug me up.

Gasping and choking at once, I roll into the boat, and find myself staring up at Astrid's concerned face.

I reach up and pat it, just to make sure she's really there. That I'm really here.

"Are you well?" Astrid asks, droplets of water dripping off her face like tears, only they came from the ocean rather than her own sadness.

"Am I well?" Groaning, I push myself up into a sitting position. "Are you well?"

She nods solemnly before glancing down to where her legs are carefully folded beneath her, like she wanted to make sure she had them or something.

Laughing dryly, I lean back gingerly. "You know, Astrid. I think fate is trying to tell us something."

"What?" She blinks at me slowly, her eyelashes seeming longer than ever now that they're wet.

"Maybe we should stay away from the ocean."

"What? No!" The sheer horror in Astrid's tone shakes me to my core, and it's my turn to blink slowly.

Her cheeks color slightly, but it's a strange contrast to sallowness of the rest of her skin. Whether Astrid is pale because of our recent trauma or because the thought of being parted with the ocean is too terrible to her, I don't know.

"I'm sorry," Astrid whispers, ducking her head. "But it's not the ocean's fault that these things happen. There are other forces at play here."

"Other forces?" I furrow my brows. "What on earth are you talking about? I should blame the weather, too?"

"No," Astrid counters before opening her mouth as if to elaborate. But only a squeak comes out. She tries to speak again, but only more strangled noises.

Frowning, she runs touches her throat, as if Astrid can somehow dislodge her words by doing so.

I reach toward her and touch her hand. "Astrid?"

"I'm... sorry." Lifting her chin, she glances beyond me. "Oh, look, your friends."

Lifting my head, I see that my boat is indeed, heading our ways.

Relief washes over me with the thought of going home and getting to lie in bed and sleep this whole ordeal off. But it's mixed with a bit of regret that Astrid and I have to go back to pretending, and that we can't talk openly.

As if she can sense my emotions, Astrid leans onto me, wrapping her arms around her waist, and rests her head on my shoulder.

And so we wait together.

-Signature by -krystallite

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

380K 13.3K 29
"You. Yes child come. Aye that's a good lad. Have you heard of the prophecy? No? Well have a seat next to me. I'll tell you. A great treasure has bee...
33.8K 2.6K 18
~The Little Mermaid Retold~ Ares has always hated the sea: a problem given that he lives beneath its waves. While his family are content to rule the...
71.7K 2.6K 41
Astrid is a Siren, her only purpose in life is seducing men until she can drown them in the murky depths of the ocean. Caspian would be a trophy for...
2.1K 136 45
There's one thing in the world that Arielle hates above all else. Humans. Eighty years ago, the human kingdom of Anjord destroyed the merfolk kingdo...