Beautiful Mess (Book II)

By hideinzshadows

[Completed] Two scarred lovers trying to leave their past behind them, but it comes back to torture them when... More

Aesthetics
Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter three
Chapter four
Chapter five
Chapter six
Chapter seven
Chapter eight
Chapter nine
Chapter ten
Chapter eleven
Chapter twelve
Chapter thirteen
Chapter fourteen
Chapter fifteen
Chapter sixteen
Chapter seventeen
Chapter eighteen
Chapter nineteen
Chapter twenty
Chapter twenty-one
Chapter twenty-two
Chapter twenty-three
Chapter twenty-four
Chapter twenty-five
Chapter twenty-seven
Chapter twenty-eight
Chapter twenty-nine
Chapter thirty
Epilogue

Chapter twenty-six

735 87 25
By hideinzshadows

"Every positive change in your life begins with a clear decision that you either do something or stop doing something."

-------------------------------

Rae•

Two days have passed since Jess decided to keep the baby, but Trevor is no where to be found.

She hadn't wasted a minute to call him that night, eager to let him know that she changed her mind about the pregnancy, but he didn't pick up. She wanted to talk to him in person, so she left a text asking to meet up. He didn't reply. She went over to his house the next day, but he wasn't there either. If she didn't have the spare key and knocked instead of getting into the house, she would've thought he was ignoring her on purpose. But as she went in and checked his bedroom, she realized most of his clothes were gone.

Jess came back to our apartment right after that, crying just like the day before. We couldn't do anything because his phone wasn't working at all.

It's the third day now, and there's still no sign of Trevor. Jess stayed with us the whole time, insisting to spend the nights on the couch even though Kyle offered her his side of the bed.

"I should've told him when I still had the chance," she mumbles, while the three of us are having lunch in the kitchen. "That night when I left the text, I should've told him my decision then. He probably thought I wanted to apologize or something. If he knew I changed my mind... he wouldn't have left. Now I don't even know where he is."

"I'm sure he'll be back soon," I try to assure her, reaching out to hold her hand. "His... vacation, won't last forever, right? Trust me he's still gonna be so happy when you tell him."

"It'll be fine sis, don't worry about it," Kyle adds. "It's you and Trevor, nothing will separate you."

"Getting an abortion would," she mutters. "Which is what he thinks I'm gonna do. Or already have done."

"But that's not what happened. So everything will be just fine, trust me," I tell her.

My phone rings at that moment, and both Kyle and Jess stare at it expectantly. "Is it..." she trails off with a hopeful look.

"It's just Peter," I tell them, glancing at the screen.

Jess slumps back into her seat in disappointment. I don't even know why they thought Trevor would call me first out of the three of us.

"Why would he be calling you? Something must've happened," Kyle mumbles.

I pick up. "Hello?"

"Hello, Raelyn," Peter starts. "I called to inform you something."

"Okay." I hold my breath.

"We caught the suspects. We are still questioning them now but there's no doubt it was them who hired that man to cause that fire. It's a matter of time before we get them to confess."

"Wow," I breathe out. "I mean, thank you. I'm glad it's over."

"There's something else you should know."

"What is it?"

"After we found out that the murder was committed as a revenge on your grandparents, we contacted them and made them come to the police station to ask them some questions. And the surprising thing was, they didn't know about their daughter's death."

"They didn't?" I ask in surprise.

"Yes, and after they gave us the information we needed, they started asking questions about you."

"Me?"

I look up to find Kyle and Jess giving me a questioning look as if they can't wait a few more minutes until I end the call and tell them.

"Yes, they said they wanted to see you."

"Did you give them my address?"

"No, but I took their phone numbers and told them you'd call them if you wanted to meet."

I breathe out in relief. Why am I so scared to meet them? Maybe it's because they were responsible for someone's death, but Peter had told me it wasn't planned and that they were charged with second degree murder.

"Um... thank you. I-- uh... I'll call them if I... decide to talk to them."

"I'll send you their number."

After I end the call, I look up at Kyle and Jess.

"Guess what?" I mumble. "My grandparents want to meet me."

Raising their brows, they glance at each other.

"You didn't even know you had grandparents and now all of the sudden..." Jess trails off.

"I know, I still can't believe it." I take a deep breath.

"Are you gonna talk to them?" Kyle asks me.

"I don't know." I sigh. "I don't have a good feeling about this. I mean my parents must've had a reason if they wanted them to stay away from our lives."

"Maybe your parents lied to you about them because they didn't want you to find out that your grandparents were in prison, not because they wanted them to stay away from your lives," Jess says.

"When did they get released from prison?" Kyle asks me.

"Peter said it's been eight years," I tell him.

"Oh," Jess mumbles. "Then that dismisses my theory. Your mom could've gotten back in touch with them after they got released, but she didn't. That means she really didn't want them in your lives."

"Don't stress about it now," Kyle tells me, noticing the frown on my face. "You don't have to decide right away, we'll think about it."

I nod, and we get back to our lunch which has been forgotten for the past few minutes.

*   *   *

"I've decided," I tell Kyle that night, as we're about to fall asleep. "I want to meet them."

"Really?"

The lights are off and I can't see his face, but I can tell he's surprised by the sound of his voice.

"Yeah," I whisper. "I always wished I had grandparents."

"That stuff doesn't bother you? What they did in the past?" he asks me. Turning to face him, I feel his hand brushing my hair back and resting on my waist.

"I don't know... a little. But I don't even know what happened yet. Peter was going to tell me the whole story but I didn't want to know the details. I wasn't even paying attention half the time, too shocked with the sudden knowledge that I had grandparents. All I know is that they were charged with second degree murder, and that gives me hope that maybe they didn't mean for it to happen. But then there's also the fact that I don't know why mom made them stay away from us... I'm so confused."

"Maybe we're jumping to conclusions here," Kyle mumbles. "Maybe your mom didn't make them stay away."

"What else could it be? If they didn't want to see their granddaughter back then, why would they want to see me now?"

"Maybe they feel guilty now that they found out your parents are no longer with you. Maybe they don't want you to be alone."

Hearing his theory fills my head with even more questions, and I groan in frustration.

Kyle pulls me closer and I rest my head close to his chest. "Don't worry about it, okay? Now that you decided to meet them, we'll find out the truth. And then you'll decide if you want them in your life or not."

"You're right." I breathe out, relaxing. "Tomorrow's Saturday, so I think they'll be free as well. I'll give them a call."

"I don't want you to go alone, so don't set an appointment before 6:00. We'll go together after I close up the library," Kyle tells me sternly, knowing I'm about to argue.

"Why do I have to wait until then? It's okay, I'll go by myself."

"Rae," he warns. "I'm serious. We don't even know the people. There's no way I'm letting you go alone."

"They're my grandparents."

"Yeah, grandparents who you've never even seen and your parents didn't want you to find out about. Not to mention their criminal record."

"Don't you think you're being a bit too... paranoid?" I ask, smiling in amusement.

"Paranoid?" He snorts. "I prefer protective."

I laugh as I lean up to kiss his neck. "I appreciate your... protectiveness, but I'll be fine."

He puts both his arms around me and holds me closer to his body. "Fine, but promise me you'll meet them in a public place, and call me if you feel uncomfortable or if anything happens. I'll come rushing, okay?"

"Okay." I smile at him even though he can't see me in the dark. "I promise."

Truth be told, I'm not entirely sure about my decision. But whatever happens tomorrow, I really hope with all my heart that things go well and I'll finally have someone to call Grandma and Grandpa like I've always wanted.

But I can't shake the feeling that maybe that's just wishful thinking and far from the actual reality.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

249 2 13
A romance between two beautiful souls. They fell in love, everything goes perfectly and is like they are living their dream. Every day feels like if...
Psychotic ✓ By liarsdiaries

Mystery / Thriller

3.5M 173K 78
#1 in Mystery/Thriller ( 05/17/17 ) "I'm afraid to be alone with my thoughts..." "why?" "Because they're dangerous... and that makes me dangero...
118 0 12
A sad romance story. People don't last forever...
49 3 11
After being ripped away from each other, a young couple try to find each other as the world collapses around them. Do they even want to be together...