Princess Thief [✔]

By xxsoteria

A princess in name, in body, and in blood but when her mask is on, she becomes the thief who's the enemy of a... More

Writers's Note
Gallery
Prologue
01. At Present Time
02. Magic of Disguise
03. Fedor Manor
04. Little Damsel
05. An Invitation Sent to Ace
06. Willow
07. The Gem and the Stone
08. Twilight Party
09. Reichen
10. The Second Day
11. The Brazen Knight
12. Haunted Past
13. A Visit from Carrion
14. The Royal Family of Ezriel
15. A Price To Pay
16. The Oubliette
17. White Bandits
18. The Encounter at Mt. Grisly
19. Never Ending Confusion
20. The Amica
21. Verdari, The Magic of Barrier
22. The Siblings
23. The Selection
24. Enchantment
25. The Princess and The Knights
26. Welcome to Deliora
27. Reid
28. The King and His Brides
29. Silverious
30. The Crusaders
31. Carline
33. A Liar
34. The Mark of Deliora
35. Renounce
36. The Goddess, The Fallen God, and The True God
37. Lost Treasures
38. Reichen's Earring
39. His Identity
40. Resonance
41. Sun Month
42. The Goddess Temple
43. Linosas Kingdom of the Far East
44. Arvory Manor
45. Willow's Party
46. A Reaper
47. The Real Monster
48. The Last Treasure
49. Xenon
50. The Magic of Ace
51. The Dead Prince
52. Selfishness
53. Choices
54. The Fallen God's Curse
55. The Goddess' Blessings
Epilogue
Ending Note
Side Story: Cannaria
Side Story: Night
Side Story: Erodessa

32. Hypocrisy

665 89 15
By xxsoteria

It took several more minutes for the two rash men to cool their heads. Once they did, they all became professionals. Our plot had been staged without further troubles and we trekked deeper into the Luriem Forest.

All came to a pause as we stepped to a glade. The full moon and torches of fire were enough to illuminate the area. Luriem Forest was known for its tall and deciduous trees. Due to its denseness, it served as a border between the three kingdoms of Ezriel. Deliora and Relandey.

No kingdom claimed it so it was a public territory in that no one could reside however the sight of the mediocre mansion in front proved me wrong. Knights were surrounding the place which only meant this belonged to a noble. On its walls were not just a pair guarding it but dozens of them patrolling.

"Okay, as discussed, Ace and Night will do the infiltration and we'll follow after," said Blaze.

I nodded and glanced at Night.

"My name is Night, awaken."

There was a rare concentration in his eyes as his shadow covered his whole countenance and made way to find an unsuspecting knight. It didn't take long before a body was delivered to our feet.

He was lanky with crescent-shaped eyes and protruding lips paired with a straight thin nose. After familiarizing his profile, I muttered the incantation.

"My name is Ace, awaken."

I touched the man as I slowly visualized myself and my appearance morphed into his. It was only his face that I copied since I could change it to another one later.

I took off my mask and put it in my bag.

"Impressive," Sullien commented. "You are a fully different person! Now it's unsurprising why you were able to enter the shrine at Mt. Grisly last time and even made Reichen act differently. I thought he had ventured the curved road."

His words earned a kick from Reichen.

"Shut up, Sullien."

"Why? What happened?" asked Night.

"It was nothing," Reichen replied.

"I'm not talking to you, dimwit."

I bit back a sigh. I was aware Night was older than me. Though I didn't know the exact years, despite that, he was acting very petty.

"Night, we need to go," I called.

"Alright."

He then dispersed into our view and slipped into my shadows. That was his ability that I was most envious of. He can control and hide in anyone's shadow when he was awakened. If I had that, I would've left the palace much earlier.

"I'll contact you once we reached the base," I said and made my way on the estate walls.

***

My jaw hung open as my eyes almost popped out from its sockets. The number of knights outside was smaller compared to the countless men in front of me.

All of us were caught off guard but not a second later, all weapons came assaulting us.

"Fvck!" Night cussed.

He emerged out from my shadow and was ready to attack. I quickly pulled out my dagger and it was transformed into a twin sword. Men in all corners barraged us with their sheer numbers. Night and I were back to back as the knights kept their offense.

"Call them, Ace!" he ordered amidst all the attack.

"I can't!"

A strike came towards me and I quickly deflected it as another steered from above.

It went on and on. One managed to wound me on my arm. Each slash was countered with one. They approached us with killing intent and they should expect us to repay the favor. Still, I only hit them where they could lay immobile and didn't do any fatal blow.

Another stepped closer and I immediately transformed my other arm into a blade, rebounding his attack and returned a slash. I jumped back and morphed my hand back immediately. 

On my other side, all I could hear were bodies being thrashed all over with some bashing from time to time. I wanted to get the portier but I could not even have a proper breath as the enemies only seemed to grow in numbers.

Then and there, a ring of fire encircled me and Night which warded off all the knights. The explosive thrum of bodies being pummeled resounded and they were ambushed from behind. In one swoop, I could see that almost a third fell to the ground.

Upon that clearing of bodies, several swords coated with fire were floating in the sky. Each lashing a different person. Willow was there but she was not just in one place. They were replicas of her scattered while Sullien appeared and absconded in a speed of light making them unable to move from their shock and it was too late when they felt the pain from his strike.

"Let's go! It's our chance!" Night shouted and leaped into the fire like it was nothing.

The blazing flames had scared our opponents but the assurance of having our burns healed was what led me to follow him. Those who were distracted were immediately knocked out and lay lifeless.

Soon we were sprawled out and only had ourselves to fend off them.

"Awakening dispel," I breathe out.

I felt my face alter back to its original and I quickly did another incantation. It was time to test this out.

"My name is Verdari, awaken."

As soon as I finished speaking, the red sheen radiated from my body. I let it expand. It grew larger and larger, hovering around twenty men that surrounded me.

I imagined them paralyzed and it became a reality. Those knights who were in that border of the ruby light that encircled us had all collapsed.

Well, I'll be damned. My lips lifted upwards seeing the effect of my new magic. This was a powerful card. Even if I could only use one sphere and its radius has its limits but anything could happen within.

The barrier slowly dissipated and wrapped my body again. The men who were outside it were once again stunned and could not move. A moment of lapse was an opportunity to knock them all off.

"So that's your other magic."

I spun around and Reichen was behind me right after I finished the last guy near me. He was holding his spear on his side, appearing nonchalant with the whole circumstance.

"Why are you dallying? Go and help others," I said since we were obviously not done yet.

"Don't worry, I'm helping. See?" He pointed to the swords that were moving on their own around Blaze.

"What of it? Blaze is injured and you need to support him."

"It's my swords that are protecting him."

I glanced at it again and then at him. When I thought about it, I had no idea what his magic was all about.

"He's just enhancing the weapons so he needed to be here and be awakened," he continued.

"He's awakened? But he's not glowing? What is your magic, anyway?"

"Yes. It's because his mask is custom-made for him since he is quite famous for his showy awakening. Everyone will be aware of his identity if he uses his magic. There are instances like him with other Amicas and they were paired and needed to work together to avoid suspicions. Our abilities and identities are usually kept private even within the organization. In spite of that, it seems like they trust you seeing that they even imparted their true identity. As for my magic, let's just say I can control certain things."

He explained thoroughly even when I just asked randomly. I honestly didn't count him to answer my questions since I oftentimes had delayed answers. Besides, we were in the middle of a mission.

That quickly recovered my impression of him a whole lot.

"Does it mean it's not just swords?"

"...Yes I---"

"You!" Night yelled and advanced to us, eliminating everyone who came in his way.

He was squinting his eyes at Reichen who didn't even turn to see Night striding his way. Except, it was not his choice because when I glanced into his feet, Reichen really could not move because his shadow had been locked by Night.

"Quit yapping and help here, bastard!"

Night dragged him to where Willow and Sullien were at as I walked to Blaze and assisted him.

***

At last. There were only six of us standing in a pool of motionless bodies.

"Damn! It's been a long time since we fought this many. Not to mention, I was supposed to be the lookout," stated Blaze as he dusted off his robe from all the dirt he accumulated in the courtyard.

"You fvcker. You told us that the knights here were only tens in number but even a stupid person can see that this passed over a hundred."

"That's what the intel said. I was surprised myself too."

"Who's that bastard and let me cut off his tongue for his misinformation."

"No, I think the intel was right but today is an exception. We knew today was not an ordinary one since the basement can be opened. We had expected the knights to increase in number but not this much," said Sullien.

"But guys, not everyone was dealt with. Someone must have escaped and informed their lord," Willow reminded.

Reichen inclined his head. "I agree. We need to hurry before they appear."

With that said, we walked inside the empty mansion. It looked more like an abandoned house with linens draped all over the furniture. It was not even maintained as cobwebs decorated the walls and ceilings.

We trod behind Blaze who was holding the map. Minutes later, we arrived at an archway with an iron door that reached up to the ceiling. It looked humongous situated in such a small passage.

I had already dispelled as Verdari so I awakened as Ace. I pictured my finger as a needle and my forefinger deformed into one. Urgh. I really hated this transformation.

"Woah! You can do that!" Blaze exclaimed.

"That's amazing, Car---Ace!"

I picked the lock but there were more mechanisms so it took time. Night helped me with the rest. Before Ace was known, it was Night who ruled the underworld. His name rang as the person who would revenge the weak from their oppressors.

I would not be an excellent thief if I had not learned from the best.

As the last lock clicked, the door automatically swung open. Barbed wires that had thorns, that could heavily wound anyone who touched it, filled the room.

"Be careful. There must be an enchantment," Reichen warned.

"Got it. I'll burn these and Sullien can transport with Ace and Night to unlock the door ahead."

We did as he told us. Sullien offered his hand to me and the other to Night. We were easily sent to the other side.

"If you can do this, why can't you just teleport inside? It will save much trouble, right?" I inquired while I was busying myself.

"I can only move to places I had once gone to."

I stopped and turned to him. "Then how come you were able to appear right in my chamber?"

"Well, of course, because he is an underling of that bastard king. He must have toured him all around the palace," Night answered instead.

"But Sullien is from Helia?"

"That's why I said underling. Not an aide or vassal."

My brows scrunched together. I did not understand what he implied. My gaze alternated between the two of them and they were just leering at each other.

"You mean..."

"I told you, I fvcking know," Night hissed at Sullien.

Before long, it was not only the raging flames that could be heard in front of us but also the sharp whistle of rushing arrows.

Hundreds came raining down on us. Sullien and Night were quick to put their discussion behind them and protected me. I promptly resumed picking the lock.

No wonder they needed a lot of people. This kind of trap could withhold several people at once but with our abilities, we were able to withstand it.

I hastened my movements and finished it in due course.

"Let's go," I said.

"You two can go first. The jewel's case had another lock."

I nodded and went inside. Night was already there facing the treasure in the middle of the room. It was not just an ordinary jewel but a cape that was draped into a mannequin. The cloth was iridescent silver. It had a similar splendor of a jewel and could be mistaken to be purely made out of silver when it was an impossible feat.

Night beckoned on me. I drew nearer and noticed that it was adorned with various white stoned gems on its collar making its value higher. My eyes gaped as I looked closer. There were tiny jewels spread throughout the entirety of the cloth, proving that the whole garment was made of precious material.

The mesmerizing beauty and technique used on this were enough to awe me but I was wrong as I stared at the central gem that linked the cape. The trillion cut encrusted jewel had a luster like silver but the more I observed it, it was actually palladium on how reflective it was. This piece undoubtedly deserved its name as Candor of Ores.

My hand stretched out to the glass. There were no locks on it except for the glass but as soon as I touched it, the decorated armored knights started moving.

"Damn. There's an enchantment!" Night alerted. "You get the cape, I'll handle this."

I raised my dagger and strike down but it was to no avail. The glass didn't shatter nor there was even the slightest crack. I struck several more times but it was useless.

"The glass is from Fryae. You need to strike it at all corners at the same time."

I swiveled around, only to see Reichen with a tilt on his lips. Urgh! why is he consistently appear so stealthily?

"What are you doing here?"

"Helping the damsel of course."

Swords suddenly were darting in our direction. It was swift and hit the glass which was completely destroyed into pieces. But that was not all. Light flashed as the floors shone bright with unfamiliar text.

"Carline!"

Night's voice blasted among the ruckus but I could only gawk wide-eyed at Reichen and everything went black.

***

My body felt as if beaten down and the rough ground did not provide comfort either. The stone floor and cold atmosphere felt like we were inside a cave.

"Where are we?"

"I have no idea," Reichen replied who was sitting not too far away from me.

Holy shit. I cursed in silence as my eyes met his which had become a color of early autumn.

"Your eyes..."

He was staring right at me too. His face became clouded as if something dawned on him.

"Bloody tarnation. We are at Tetrae Lands."

Tetrae Lands. I mumbled to myself. I had read about it. It was said to be nothing but plain sands and no humans could survive in the harsh weather. It was a place that connected the Far East and the Grand West.

 But that was not what I have to solve right now.

It just occurred to me that we were miles away from Deliora. Depending on where we were, it might take a day or two. Out of all places we were sent to, it was the farthest and most difficult region on the continent. Even the Winterlands was a better option than here.

"What happened back there? How did we even get here?"

"There were layers of enchantment in the room. We had assumed it was only outside. The moving armors were unexpected and there must be another enchantment when the glass broke. That was the only plausible reason we are here," he explained with no trace of cockiness that was almost second skin to him.

"Did you contact Sullien?"

"We are in Tetrae Lands," he repeated.

"So?"

"This is the hell of all Amica. The portier won't work here."

"What do you mean?"

"We cannot use magic. The color of our eyes returns to its original only if we were dying or our magic has gone weak and this is the latter case."

It just kept going worse. I rose to my feet. I need to get back. Come hell or high water, I needed to be at Deliora or they might find me missing and alert Father.

"Then we have to find our way out here the sooner the better."

"I don't think I am adequate to travel. I was waiting for my wounds to heal but it will be impossible right now with our current situation."

He was wearing dark clothes so I could not tell his injuries. I crouched over him and took off his robe. There were tears all over his shirt and even in his pants. I should have known he would not be able to exit the room full of arrows unscathed.

"Take your shirt off."

"You are so bold for a princess."

"It is not time to jest, Reichen. Take it off."

He did so and I was gaping as my eyes fixed on his chest.

I recognized that mark. The first time I saw it, I was so fascinated by its beauty. The white mark was shaped like a snowflake-like a piece of winter embedded in the body.

Is he also a bastard son of the old king of Deliora?

A face came to mind. The longer I looked, the more I realized that there was indeed a likeness between them. Aside from the black hair, they had similar features, notably their high pointed nose and naturally perfect-shaped lips.

However, it was strange. The person I was thinking of and Reichen looked more alike but Reichen, Reid, and King Freed who had the same voice didn't even have a slight semblance except for their citrine-like irises.

I finished dressing up his wounds while pondering the whole time.

"I hope it's a little better now. I have to get back at Deliora no matter what," I stated after giving back his shirt.

He made a large intake of breath before agreeing after a bit. "Alright."

***

I rejoiced silently as we somehow were able to leave the place. Now, we just need to navigate our way into these endless sands.

"We can search for an oasis. This is the only path to other kingdoms beyond the continent and people travel here often. If we get lucky, we can encounter some travelers."

The night grew deep. The full moon was even larger in these vast lands. The wind was warmer than what I was used to. We walked for like an eternity until I saw an abundance of greeneries in the middle of yellow sands.

As went nearer, chatters were coming there.

"Should we just steal one of their horses?" I suggested seeing the gathering crowd who were laughing merrily.

"No, they are dressed in high-quality clothes and had several knights among them only means they could be nobles or merchants. We don't have our weapons right now so it's better to cooperate with them," he said and took off his mask.

"Then how shall we do it?" I asked and copied his action, putting my mask inside the bag.

"You just need to lie unconscious and I'll do the rest. You're good at faking it, right?"

His sudden smile made me want to scratch his face for no reason. There was just something in him. Wrong. There was definitely something in the three of them that bothered me for even a small reason. I hated how I could not keep my calm every time I talked to them.

He scooped me without notice and came running to the strangers who were enjoying their rest. I had no time to react and just closed my eyes.

Weapons were drawn out as men asked who we were.

"We are from Rumies, good sirs and madams. We are on our way to Deliora but our caravan had been robbed by bandits. My wife is pregnant and fainted due to shock. We are afraid that the climate of Tetrae is not suitable for her health." His lies came smoothly.

The impression I had given earlier slowly plummeted down. I absolutely hated liars, especially those who could do it as easily as breathing to manipulate. I preferred no answers at all than believing deceptions.

"Oh, how unfortunate. We are only stopping at Helia. We can drop you there."

"That is plenty, madam."

"We are going in a minute. Our caravan is only a few and full. If you don't mind sitting with our produce, my servant can lead you there," said a man.

"I am very grateful, sir. May you forever be blessed."

They exchanged pleasantries until we left soon after and I was lowered on a wooden floor.

"These are some refreshments the Madam had sent."

"Thank you."

When the doors had creaked, Reichen was nudging my arm.

"Wake up."

"You're such a fraud," I stated right away, my eyes narrowing to him.

He snickered. "That is rich coming from you."

"And why is that?"

"You won't be a disreputable thief if you aren't good at deceiving others, am I right? I admit you are best at that as I have fallen several times. Such hypocrisy."

Well, that shut me up.

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 290 34
After carelessly promising to marry the king of monsters, Elle wakes up to find herself trapped in a kingdom of mythical creatures. Soon she discover...
358K 11.4K 80
When vengeance strikes in the form of a bullet out for the princess's blood, Princess Aleia VonAuclair must flee the heart of her country in order to...
81K 6.1K 45
One mistake changes Hannah's life forever, exiling her from her realm and isolating her from the man who loves her. Now, Hannah must find a way to re...
416K 25.9K 42
Nadine is an 18-year-old thief living in a nation of darkness. The people of Ravenna never come out during the day - not unless they want to be kille...