Princess Thief [✔]

By xxsoteria

A princess in name, in body, and in blood but when her mask is on, she becomes the thief who's the enemy of a... More

Writers's Note
Gallery
Prologue
01. At Present Time
02. Magic of Disguise
03. Fedor Manor
04. Little Damsel
05. An Invitation Sent to Ace
06. Willow
07. The Gem and the Stone
08. Twilight Party
09. Reichen
10. The Second Day
11. The Brazen Knight
12. Haunted Past
13. A Visit from Carrion
14. The Royal Family of Ezriel
15. A Price To Pay
16. The Oubliette
17. White Bandits
18. The Encounter at Mt. Grisly
19. Never Ending Confusion
20. The Amica
21. Verdari, The Magic of Barrier
22. The Siblings
23. The Selection
24. Enchantment
25. The Princess and The Knights
26. Welcome to Deliora
28. The King and His Brides
29. Silverious
30. The Crusaders
31. Carline
32. Hypocrisy
33. A Liar
34. The Mark of Deliora
35. Renounce
36. The Goddess, The Fallen God, and The True God
37. Lost Treasures
38. Reichen's Earring
39. His Identity
40. Resonance
41. Sun Month
42. The Goddess Temple
43. Linosas Kingdom of the Far East
44. Arvory Manor
45. Willow's Party
46. A Reaper
47. The Real Monster
48. The Last Treasure
49. Xenon
50. The Magic of Ace
51. The Dead Prince
52. Selfishness
53. Choices
54. The Fallen God's Curse
55. The Goddess' Blessings
Epilogue
Ending Note
Side Story: Cannaria
Side Story: Night
Side Story: Erodessa

27. Reid

703 94 22
By xxsoteria

The palace that was washed with white filled my view. It gave off the same eternal cold feeling as the last time I went here. Lonely. Lifeless. I didn't really like the place, much more the people but it was just my prejudice speaking as they were still morally good people from other's perspectives.

I glanced at Reid who was kneeling outside with his palm sticking out. I took the offered gesture even when I was fully able to get out on my own. This was one of the most confusing customs I had known. I didn't get why women needed assistance stepping out of the carriage when it was just even two steps from the ground when we were not that frail in the first place.

"We are grateful to have your presence here, Princess, on behalf of the royalties of Deliora. I am deeply honored to serve you," he said those preposterous words as several people approached them.

He stood up and we were greeted by the butler and maidservants.

"Greetings, Princess Carline of Ezriel. We gladly welcome you and are thankful for your grace to travel and come here in our beloved kingdom," stated the butler, all the while with his head down.

"I should be the one to be thankful that you reached out to me when I did not have the qualifications to even become a candidate."

"You are very humble, your highness. No one can deny you are the perfect bride for our king."

I stilled even if it was just empty compliments. I certainly did not want to be chosen no matter what prestige I got from it.

I looked back and saw Reid whose expression was as blank as a paper. Am I seeing an illusion?

"By the by, your highness, the servants are here to help you settle down for your visit while I show you around, Princess."

I nodded and we went inside. The whole palace of Deliora was eerily beautiful even from its interior despite the lack of color. The all-white decorations and ornaments did not only give a sense of elegance but also a hint of purity to the place but as beautiful as it was, I did not see myself living here.

The butler helped me familiarize the place as he introduced me to every room we passed by. It was pointless as I would not be staying long anyway. Our conversation was disrupted when a manservant excused himself.

"The Princess of Caious had arrived," the man whispered but it was futile since I could still hear it.

The butler gave a slight nod and faced me.

"I have to apologize, your highness. I have matters to attend to, I shall implore Knight Reid to escort you instead."

I almost forgot about Reid's presence if not for my senses. He had been awfully quiet the whole time and even his footsteps were so light that no ordinary person could hear them.

We were left alone and we passed by many servants as we head further but we were so silent. I was used to this kind of atmosphere in Ezriel but it weirded me out since I was with him.

I admittedly did prefer his audaciousness to this kind of attitude. He felt so cold and distant, just like the whole palace was. I could not contain it anymore so when we were far from any keen eyes, I initiated to talk.

"Do you know anything about the Selection?"

"We cannot disclose anything about the trials, Princess," he answered, his tone was formal that it surprised me a little.

"I did not mean that. So far, I only knew that each country is different but everyone held it for three days with a customary banquet every night. What I want to ask is what normally happens during this time," I clarified.

"You acted like you're not interested but you actually are, Princess. I'm glad to see you trying. You don't have to worry. You have the highest chance," he replied with his presumptuous remarks.

I let his comment pass since I was truly curious about it. We ceased walking and were currently at the end of the hallway, facing a huge glass window that overlooked the maze where we first met.

"So is there anything I should know of? What makes it different from other kingdoms? I heard yours were the most unexpected," I probed.

"Unexpected? In a sense, I do assent with that, Princess. Every king had unique ideas that no one would think about. But I still could not tell you anything about that since explaining it to you would be divulging crucial information for this event."

I wanted to groan. Every time I became intrigued, no one answered me directly.

"I can give you a clue though since you're a favorite pick," he added.

"Never mind." I twirled in my heels and treaded my way to the empty corridor since I would not get anything from him.

I needed at least a clue to avoid it but there he was pushing his idea that I was likely to be chosen. There was no doubt it was just an opinion since a knight had no word to a king but it still made me nervous.

"It's the maxim of our kingdom. Each trial relates to it."

I tried to recall their crest. At the bottom of every royal crest had a banner that showed their maxim. Peace. Progress. Prosper. Those were the words but I could not think of anything.

"You're really in deep thought, your highness. I'm sure the king will be touched if he knew how dedicated you are."

He had that cheeky grin that I felt the need to defend myself or he would assume his outrageous ideas were true.

"Of course not. I am purely curious."

"Curiosity is always the beginning of interest, Princess. And interest can always lead to something else. Who knows? You might end up falling for a person because of your curiosity."

"Goddamnit! Stop putting words in my mouth," I fussed as his grin turned into a teasing one.

However, not a second after, his smile quickly disappeared as I heard footsteps.

A maidservant was treading towards us at a fast pace when I looked back. The woman curtsied when she reached us and almost stumbled on her feet.

"Greetings, your highness, Knight Reid. His majesty awaits at the Throne Room and requested your presence," she informed.

"I understand. We'll be right there," replied Reid.

He had the serious tone again that for a moment he reminded me of Xenon.

My eyes weren't deceiving me after all when I noticed his change. He was really different earlier. Where was the annoying guy a while ago?

"Please come with me, Princess. I shall accompany you to the Throne Room," he spoke with his voice rigid.

I was caught off-guard by the sudden change of atmosphere but I managed to say my agreement and made our way to the Throne Room.

"Hey, what happened to the mouth of yours? How come you're treating me like a lady now?" I could not help but ask when there were only the two of us again.

"What are you talking about Princess. Why won't I treat your highness as a lady?" He smiled, the kind of smile that looked empty and had no emotion. Something must be wrong with him.

We had not met for long but I could not get used to how easily he switched into a stiff character and brazen in just a minute like he was two different persons. Really... Don't tell me he had issues with his head, too? I thought and damned myself since it appeared like I was a magnet attracting all the screw-loosed ones.

I did not even think to stop myself from smacking his head.

"What was that?!" Reid scowled at me and finally showed some expression.

"You've become weird."

"Says the princess who beat their knight out of nowhere," he retorted.

He was becoming shameless once again and if I were to be asked, that frankly relieved me.

***

Not long, we arrived at the Throne Room. The dark blue draperies made the room darker as it contrasted with the white marble. It was the only burst of color since the place was desolate of embellishments. If not for the throne, I would have mistaken it for an empty hall on how bare it was.

Reid and I bickered along the way but after we entered it was like a switch was turned on every time there were people around us.

I had not detected it before but unlike the Throne Room of Ezriel, every royal had their own chair. Although the thrones for the princes and princesses were added, later on, the thrones for the king and queen were permanent. Whereas, there was only a single one here.

We drew close to the podium before Reid spoke, "We greet you, your majesty. May I present to you Fifth Princess Carline of Ezriel."

"I'm honored to meet you, your majesty." I held my skirts on both sides as I gave a deep curtsy.

"I, too, Princess Carline. You can raise your head," the King said with his ridiculously similar voice as Reid.

It was a big riddle to me why they have the same voice yet have different physical features.

King Freed stood up from his throne. When he was standing at his full height, he looked outrageously tall but he looked no different the last time I saw him aside from the crown in his head that made him look formidable.

He was wearing a dark blue mask this time. It was the same shape as the golden one, a half mask that covers from his nose up to his forehead. Regardless, due to my memory, his uncovered face was embedded in my mind.

"I assume you had a comfortable journey coming here, your highness? I hope my best knight did not disappoint you," he stated.

"He was a wonderful companion, your majesty," I lied.

"Truly? I am pleased to hear that. Anyhow, Reid will be your personal knight during your stay here as we do not allow any knights from another kingdom to stay here."

That was the first time I heard that. I guess there was really no use even if I persuaded Xenon since it was prohibited.

"It is my pleasure to be the sword that will serve her highness, your majesty," Reid said in response.

I looked back and forth between them as King Freed inquired about some matters. I had confirmed they were three different people but it was strange hearing two people with exact same voices converse.

A few more questions followed then we were dismissed.

***

This time, Reid was escorting me to my chambers. We passed by the Central Wing and met another princess in passing. I tried to remember her face but nothing came to mind.

She sent me a glare which confused me after I even planned to greet her but she swiftly disappeared along the corridors.

"That is a normal occurrence, Princess," said Reid.

I looked up at him, still confused. I expected enmity but not right off the bat and blatantly obvious that even Reid noticed it.

"You should be prepared, Princess. The Selection in Deliora is well known as the fiercest, even if the King is not good in the eyes, he still had great authority in the continent and riches only a few can compete."

My brows scrunched at his choice of words. "Did you just insult your king?"

I really did not understand him. All this time he was siding with the king but in the end, he was still judging him.

"Well, it's no secret that his face was certainly not appealing. Everyone buzzed about him as the Hideous King behind his back."

"Appearance is deceiving. What do you know? A person with an angelic face can be the vilest person in this world and a person may be ugly but he can have the kindest heart," I snapped.

His grin just grew wider. "You're right, Princess. I have to apologize for my rude words."

Of course. I only spoke from experience. There was no better prime example of that than my very own father. A living devil wearing the angel's halo and viewed himself as a god.

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

906 87 21
It's a mad world and they're too good at hiding it. *** Sierra Montrose didn't like her life. If anything, she wanted it gone. The end. It was a life...
1.6K 230 60
She is fierce. She is the future queen. She is a whole definition of power. The powers she has are amazing but she keeps them hidden. She doesn't tru...
500 26 13
A young spoiled Princess seems to find everything funny. She loved and lived for practical jokes, especially when she was behind them. On her fifte...
2.6K 290 34
After carelessly promising to marry the king of monsters, Elle wakes up to find herself trapped in a kingdom of mythical creatures. Soon she discover...