His Innocent Rose (Hinley Man...

By RaeySam

-Damian Davensport- He was the next Duke of Hinley and all of his Father's responsibilities fell into his sho... More

Chapter One: The Master is Home
Chapter Two: Engaged and Enraged
Chapter Three: An accident
Chapter Four: Old stirrings
Chapter Five: Hesitation for decisions
Chapter Six: The Chase
Chapter Seven: Cornered
Chapter Eight: A motherly offer
Chapter Nine: Morning ride after
Chapter Ten: Unwanted confession
Chapter Eleven: A lady's plan
Chapter Twelve: Lordly Encounters
Chapter Thirteen: Suprise guest
Chapter Fourteen: Ripped feelings
Chapter Fifteen: One desirable meeting
Chapter Sixteen: Steps taken and another to take
Chapter Seventeen: Family dinner
Chapter Eighteen: Unguarded impulse
Chapter Nineteen: Plan gone wrong
Chapter Twenty: Abducted
Chapter Twenty-One: That white dress
Chapter Twenty-Two: Men talk
Chapter Twenty-Three: Unveiling
Chapter Twenty-Four: A Tryst
Chapter Twenty-Five: Afternoon tea
Chapter Twenty-Six: His Majesty
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Handful
Chapter Twenty-eight: It's a must
Chapter twenty-nine: Day before the wedding
Chapter Thirty: Night before the wedding
Chapter Thirty-one: Tying the knot
Chapter Thirty-two: Mine
Chapter Thirty-three: Who are you?
Chapter 35: Hand me downs
Chapter 36: One rainy afternoon
Chapter 37: Dew drops
Chapter 38: Fire
Chapter 39: Royal ride
Chapter 40: Seductress
Chapter 41: The City
Chapter 42: Dinner party
Chapter 43: Escort
Chapter 44: Noble guests
Chapter 45: Corsets
Chapter 46: Blush
Chapter 47: Allerdale Rooms
Chapter 48: Confused for love
Chapter 49: The first suitor
Chapter 50: Princely intervention
Chapter 51: Presumed scandal
Chapter 52: Curiosity
Chapter 53: Seemingly challenge
Chapter 54: Knight's bell tower
Chapter 55: Surrender
Chapter 56: Scheme
Chapter 57: On bended knee
Chapter 58: Engaged and Enraged...again
Chapter 59: Knight over flowers
Chapter 60: The helpful prince
Chapter 61: Search and you shall find
Chapter 62: What is the truth?
Chapter 63: Barfield
Chapter 64: The final piece
Chapter 65: Under siege
Chapter 66: Unveiling, once more
Chapter 67: Habsurg
Chapter 68: Rheinhold
Chapter 69: Bloodline
70: Love and Protection
Author's note

Chapter 34: The departure

96 2 0
By RaeySam

"Don't ever think that everyone who leaves wants to."
-Unknown
⚜️

Sundays at Hinley Manor was usually quite. Today was not an exemption. Guests have slowly crowded the dining area for food while others wandered around the halls for entertainment. They were too spent to go home just yet.

And just like everyone else, three people have found themselves trapped inside. Right in the heart of the manor: The family library.

Alexi felt the heaviness of the gun against the back of his head while his hands grasped Emelia's ties. He cannot make sudden moves if he wished to live.

"I believe you are interrupting us, sir." Alexi said, still maintaining that superior air. "I demand you step away from me."

"And I am glad I interrupted just in time." Replied the man behind him. "How dare you force yourself on her?"

Em opened her mouth but could not say anything. Her throat was dry from all the crying she did. Alexi tapped her hands to assure her he would not let the man hurt them. But she merely looked at him with scared eyes.

"I understand that this looks compromising but I assure that it is not." Alexi told the man. "I am a guest of the Davensport's. I suggest you step away now."

The man scoffed but he removed the gun and stepped back. Alexi sighed with relief and slowly rose to his full height before turning his head towards the man.

"You better explain yourself, guest." Dathan said, his right hand still clutching the gun. "And you better start now."

Alexi was expecting an assassin or some sick gentleman to come after him. Just like the usual commoners that have tried to sneak up to him. But seeing the Davensport's second son shocked him for a moment. Dathan did not look like a dangerous man when he met him the night prior.

"Dathan...you surprised me. I did not take you as a gun kind of man."

"I am not. Mostly I use my bare hands to snap someone's neck but a gun is efficient, too." He replied after clenching his other hand and the bones cracked loudly. "I supposed you did not expect me to pick the lock as well."

He picked the lock? Alexi shook his head. What a puzzling man. "No, I have not. I guessed you may have used a false wall to get in."

Dathan's eyes turned dark. "I may have but that is not what I want to hear from you." He raised the gun at Alexi's face, "Now, tell me what drove you to harm this woman?"

Alexi raised his hands up in the air. He must show Dathan he did not wish for a fight. "Let me explain."

"Sit." He motioned Alexi to sit on the cushioned seat he had disregarded awhile ago. "Make no move while I untie her."

Alexi nodded and slumped down the seat. Dathan lowered down his gun and went on his knees. His hands worked on Em's wrists while he kept an eye on Alexi from the corner of his vision.

"Are you hurt?" He asked her.

Em shook her head while she touched her wrists. They hurt.

Dathan sensed she was still shaken so he sat beside her. His bulk hid most of her face from Alexi. The couch groaned beneath his weight. His eyes caught Alexi's. Both men measured their strength.

"Talk."
***

Being a royalty was a right Alexi enjoyed. He had authority on almost everything and that gave him pleasure. Being above the nobles and gentries was something he indulged whenever he could.

But it was not all unicorns and rainbows. As he grew up, multiple assassins have attempted to take his life. Being the only son and heir of the Kingdom had roused jealousy from the King's cousins and other relatives. They all wanted to seize the power from the young Prince. And so, he began to hide his true identity and travelled quite often to widen his influence. If he couldn't rally allies from his own Kingdom then he shall do so from another monarchy. He was in the middle of doing so when he came into this tight situation.

"I have mistaken Emelia as someone." Alexi began. "But I did not mean to hurt her, I swear upon my life."

"Her wrists are tied with your own cravat. Somehow, that tells me otherwise." His hands clenched in a fist. He had been holding himself back but if this Alexi would continue to taunt him, hell would break loose. "She is a dear friend of mine. And whoever hurts her is an insult to me."

Alexi held his breath. He knew Em was no ordinary servant here but he did not expected she was much, much more. He debated whether he should tell Dathan who he was or he could make up an excuse.

"I apologize, truly I do. There was a misunderstanding and I could not stop myself so soon. I was just about to untie her when you came upon us. Please, my lord, I did not know she was that important to you. If you wish to ban me from here then I shall pack up immediately."

Dathan leaned towards him, his eyes ready to kill. "You're a smart ass with a mouth. Quite good with words but you are not walking away unscathed. No one—not anyone can lay a single finger on her. What you did was unforgivable. I ought to challenge you at a duel. But that would be too easy."

Alexi's eyes panicked. He realized he was dealing with a hot tempered man. "I shall accept any punishment, my lord. But let us not be hasty about a duel. Again, I apologize for laying a hand on her. It did not appear to me that she was your...woman."

Dathan did not like how Alexi said it and he probably did not mean it. It was as if he was saying that Em was a light skirt that belonged to him. He ought to strangle this man so that he could see how Em should be respected. Duels are not his forte and this man may not fare too well. He couldn't let his family's name ruined because of one mistake. Whether he wins or not the result could ruin him.

But the image of Em wriggling beneath him while her wrists were tied, burned his thoughts. He had been holding his anger back way too long now. His demon longed for a fight.

"She need not be my woman for you to know your place. A gentleman does not go around forcing helpless women against her will."

"I understand, my lord. But I did no such thing. Em appeared much too willing to me and I mistook her friendliness for something else." Alexi hoped that his words reached Dathan's consciousness. "I totally misunderstood. She appeared so inviting and I just couldn't help myself."

It was the last straw. He jumped at Alexi while the man was off guard and succeeded. The sudden attack toppled the chair over and both men sprawled on the floor. Grunts and groans could be heard. Em realized that they were brawling. With Alexi on the bottom and Dathan above him. The former held his arms across his face shielding himself from the punches that rained on him.

"Stop...Dathan, control yourself." Em plastered herself on Dathan's back. Her weight hindered him from delivering another blow.

"Let me go, Em. This man thinks he can walk in here and do whatever he wants. Well, I am just about to show him how we treat our guests who misbehave."

Em reached down and wrapped her arms around his chest. Then she pulled him back with all her might. She knew her strength could not match him but she can't let him hurt Alexi. She knew the risks of what harming a royalty could do to them.

"You can't! Please, Dathan. Stop..." she struggled against him. But he was too heavy for her. He was so intent on beating Alexi that removing him from the the floor was like pulling out a leech from it's prey. He was bent on a killing spree. Em grunted and tried her best to stop him. Finally she said, "He's a Prince!"

Dathan's right arm wriggled free from Em's body and was just about to drive another punch when her words stopped him. "What?"

"He's a bloody Prince. You can't hurt him!"

Dathan stared down at the man. His hair was disheveled, his lip was torn and his cheek was bruised. Bloody hell. This was a Prince?

"You are?" He asked Alexi.

The man nodded. His chest heaved and blood began to leak from his torn lip. "Alexi Fredericks, Crown Prince of Habsburg, at your service."
***

Em let go of Dathan and helped Alexi stand back to his feet. He wasn't badly beaten but if Dathan had his way, the man could be unconscious now.

"I can stand on my own, Emelia." Alexi said softly, "Though I cannot fathom why you would help me."

"Is it not obvious? You were about to die. I cannot just look away."

"You are most kind."

"He does not deserve your kindness, Em." Dathan murmured. "Royalty or not, he was being a lecherous bastard—"

"Dathan! Enough." Em snapped. "Alexi has apologized and I forgive him. You've beaten him to a pulp, you should be even now. Besides, you understand that you attacked his majesty first. What would your family think if you get persecuted?"

Dathan scoffed. He could care less if the man was the King himself. There was now way he was going to apologize for what he did. "He's fine. Look at him stand in his tippy toes." He pointed out. Frankly, he had not done enough. "You are making this too easy for him, Em. I am merely defending your reputation."

"And you have my gratitude. Now, can we get out of here? The library is quite suffocating me right now." She did not wait for neither men to respond and simply stalked out of the room.
***

Em did not know where she was headed for she was too shaken for what just transpired in the library. She wanted to get an explanation out of Alexi for his sudden outburst but she need not include Dathan on it. The man was bound to burst when angered. Mayhap if their paths crossed again she would demand an elaborate discussion.

She found herself wandering down the servants' quarters. Perhaps she can get a moment with her friend Sam. She turned the knob like usual, they just let each other in immediately but she stopped when she heard soft voices behind the door. She leaned against the wood and her ears burned red when she realized that her friend was in a delicate act, perhaps with Peter!

Em stepped away and left them alone. There was one more place she could go and not be bothered for awhile. She carried her skirts and made her out towards Damian's study. It would be locked but she knew where he hid a spare key. She could stay there and think.
***

After Em left, Alexi and Dathan did not know whether they should continue brawling with each other or just walk away. The library door was slightly ajar and the light from the candles made a thin line across the floor. Alexi broke the silence.

"I suppose you would want an explanation, Dathan. But I'm afraid I cannot reveal any information that may cause trouble for the royalty. Though I would appreciate it if you can keep my identify hidden until I leave." He said. "I will not hold you accountable for what happened as I recognize my own fault in this. You can blame me for hurting Em but believe me when I say, I did not mean to do so. I have mistaken her for someone else but she proved to be innocent. You have my word that this will never happen again, I swear upon my name as Prince."

Dathan wanted to scoff again but he knew better than disrespect royalty. So instead, he said "No one will know who you truly are because I believe you will leave on the morrow. Since Em has forgiven you then I would too."

Alexi's torn lip curved slightly, "I can tell you do not wish to."

"No, I do not. But if she could forgive your behavior, who am I not to?" He said nonchalantly. "But I do not like you very much."

"I believe the feeling is mutual." He replied. His eyes went to his thrown away cravat, "I'll make my leave now, my lord."

Dathan nodded and picked up the garment for him. "As you should, your majesty."

***

Alexi wasted no time. He called for his valet and packed his things.

"Should I send word to Lady Marianne, your majesty?" The man asked. It was quite sudden to depart this time of the day.

"There is no need for that, my friend. My Aunt knows I am a free spirit, here today and gone tomorrow." He jested.

"If only you were, your majesty. If only you were." The man replied as he closed the door. He would need the help of the servants to  carry the trunks down.

While alone, Alexi pulled out his journal and flipped through the pages. He saw something worthy of keeping and tore the page. Using his quill, he penned a few words on the paper and sealed it with his ring.

A knock sounded moments later.

"We are ready, your majesty." The valet said.

"Very well." He turned to the man and handed him the letter. "There is woman in this household called Emelia Roderick, give this to her and join us downstairs."

The valet need not question his master and simply took the letter carefully.

Alexi gave his room one last glance, making certain he left nothing of import behind. He was glad to have seen Hinley and its people, they were worthy of his Father's sentiments. Remembering why he was there in the first place made him pause. His Father, King of Habsburg was friends with Duke Vincent. Due to his duties as King, he could not attend the wedding. And so, the crown prince was sent as his representative.

He had witnessed the wedding and took part in the evening party. Alexi knew his duty was over. He need not stay any longer. He pulled the door and closed it quietly. His arm shook slightly when the pain from Dathan's attacks came alive. He gulped the pain down and felt it eased a little bit. Then a smile crept into his face.

Dathan Davensport was a mysterious man. A twin, second son and very used to physical labor. He did not act like he was a noble's son. In fact, if he did not share his twin's face he would be intimidating enough on his own. He would make a wonderful ally, had they been into good terms upon meeting he had no doubt they'd find common interests.

Alexi sighed.

He had been so paranoid lately and had been doubtful of many people he met. Confronting Emelia got so out of hand that he wondered whether he was simply craving for a woman's touch. And now it resulted badly. He'd love to apologize to her but he needed to go.

He went down the hall and was thankful no one was there to stop him.
***

Em found the peace and silence she sought after. Damian's office was untouched. No one was scheduled to clean it today and so they locked it. But ever since Damian got his own study after turning ten and six, he had slipped a duplicate hidden in a place that only he and Em knew.

She used the spare key several times before just to be close to him. The five years he was away made her lonely. She would visit the empty room and simply imagine he was there. His books, ledgers and painting collection gave off his presence. At that time, she was content by just admiring him from afar. If only she stayed that way then none of this mess would have happened. But then, being reminded of what they used to have gave her some sense of security. It was if the empty room could erase what transpired between her and the Prince. Not to mention, Dathan's intrusion.

A normal lady would have swooned by the events yet here she was, calm and confused. Calm because she was no longer in a compromising situation with Alexi and confused why it had happened. But then she thought, she was no lady. She was shaken, of course. But that feeling dissipated as soon as she saw Dathan beating Alexi. Anger came surging fast and the worry of getting punished for hurting a royalty seemed like a good remedy.

Perhaps, being a servant proved more useful than she ought to give it credit with. Growing up, she had learned to control her emotions and was taught to stay strong.

She was pacing the study just fine. Her wrists no longer hurt but it still had a bit of numbness when she tried to flex it.  While doing so, she came upon an earlier painting of the twins. Her eyes focused on the first born. She wondered what would have happened had it been Damian who found them. Would he think she had seduced Alexi? Or would he react like Dathan did?

She shook her head in dismay. Why does she keep thinking of the past? Her mind was set on leaving all of these behind and start anew. Will Damian's affections haunt her at every turn? She hoped not.
With a sigh, she left the room.

Upon returning the spare key she came upon a servant that she was not familiar with.

"Excuse me...are you looking for someone?" She asked the man.

He seemed relieved to see her. In fact, he looked like he had been looking for her but that made no sense. She could not think of anyone who might want to find her. Mayhap, there was one. But surely, Lydia found no reason to send her own servant to drive her out of the manor? That did not feel right. They agreed that she leave one the new Duchess stepped in. What would this man possibly want with her?

"Are you Emelia?"

Now this is getting odd. He was indeed looking for her!

"Y-yes. I am Emelia. Do I know you?"

The man smiled and it softened the areas of his dull face. That calmed her a little. He pulled something out of his pocket and handed it to her. It was a sealed letter. "My master would wish you to have it."

"Your master?" But who—

"You are the only one who knows his real identity. Or so I was told."

Em's eyes locked on the letter. "You serve...his majesty?"

The man nodded and gave a faint bow. "I shall take my leave now."

Em let him go. At least she learned that Lydia was not hovering at her. So why would Alexi leave her a letter? And why did he need his servant to send it? Was he hurt badly?  With that thought, she made her way towards the east wing of the manor where the guests were staying. If he meant to explain everything through the letter then he might be unable to do so in person. Worrying that Dathan may have done something to him after she left, she found herself facing  the door to Alexi's room. Her hands turned the knob and pushed it open.

It was empty.

"You stupid man!" She hissed. Her eyes darted all over the place but saw no traces of him. She leaned against the wall and sighed. "He left, today. Of course."

Which explains the letter. He must have planned to leave without telling her right after their encounter. She stared at the seal with two axes and a crown above them. His royal seal. She broke the wax and unrolled the paper.

It was a drawing of a flower, she thought. It had thorns and a lot of withered leaves. Because it had no color, it took a second for her to recognize the picture.

It was a rose.

Beneath the drawing was neat handwriting that simply said: "To the kindest Rose there is."
***

Dathan wadded his way towards the kitchen and asked the servants to bring him his food upstairs. His mother had asked to see him but he had things to do. He needed to make his plan. Also, he had a slight bruise on his left eye and his mother would demand him to explain where it came from. He had no energy to deal with her sermons for now.

Upon reaching his room, he noticed that the door was slightly ajar. And he never left it like this. Worried that someone had snuck into his belongings, he pushed the door immediately. Intent on capturing the culprit he made his presence known in the boldest way he knew.

"Who's there?" He said in a loud voice.

"Dathan! You scared me!"

"Em? What brings you here?"

Em sank down to his bed and sighed. She looked troubled. "I have come to speak with you."

"In my room?" He asked in a surprised voice.

"I shall not be long." She pulled his neatly folded blanket next to her. "If someone ought to question my presence here, I can pretend that you asked me to change your linens."

Dathan scoffed and kicked the door close. "No one is going to believe that, Em. You are no longer a scullery maid."

"That I am." She said. "Will you hear me out?"

He placed his hands on the back of a chair and remained standing by the door. If he crossed their distance he'd be tempted to spring unto her. And they have just entered a truce.

"I'm all ears."

"Very well." Em started. "What have you done to Alexi?"

"You saw what I did to him, Em. I hardly beat the man which left my hands hungry for more."

"Do not jest like that, Dathan. You jumped at him because you could not control your temper. Did you not think of the consequences? What did you do after I left? Did you harm him?"

It was his turn to sigh, "I held back, Em. Truly I did. But the man was trying to make it look like it was your fault that he had his way with you. And even if I knew he was royalty, I'd still fight for you. That is how much I care for you." He said the last part softly. Hoping she would appreciate what he done.

But Em was not having it. "No, what you've shown us was how reckless you were. He was trying to explain what happened and apologized for it. You were just looking for an excuse to fight."

"Or you could just thank me for defending you, Em."

"Ohh, you!!!" She stood up and moved towards him, her ears fuming. "Do you not understand what this could mean to you? They could take you away for treason and lock you forever. Even if I testify against Alexi, its his words against ours. Are you not worried what could happen?"

Dathan reached out for her hand, "I know what could happen to me. And I would not deny that it scares me what the Prince could do. But it has already happened, Em. He and I simply talked after you left. I did not ask him what he wished to do with me or if he even wanted to do anything with me. We just agreed that we did not like each other's presence."

"Do you swear you did not punch him again once I was gone?"

"I swear. And you know me, I do not swear anything if it is not true."

Em believed him. He may be jester but he was never a liar. "I know that you are a man of your word, Dathan. But now that he's gone, how would we ever know? What if he sends for his servants to take you away?"

"Wait. Did you say he was gone?"

Em nodded. "I was in his room and all of his belongings are gone. No one knows where he is. Even his Aunt had not received a word."

Dathan pursed his lips. Alexi gave his word that the matter was settled and he believed the man to be true to his word. But his disappearance was bugging him. Why did he leave so soon? He gave him until the morrow and even swore to keep his real identity a secret.

"Dathan? What are we to do?" Em asked.

"Worry not , Em. The Prince will not take me away."

"How can you be so calm about this? Have you thought what your mother would feel if she learned about your fight?"

He locked gazes with her and they stared at each other for few moments. Dathan had not said a thing but Em felt he was telling the truth again. It was as if he was making her feel that everything was alright. There was something in his eyes that spoke to her without uttering any words. Somehow, she understood him and it calmed her, too.

"You worry too much for everyone, Em." He said afterwards. "That is why I like you so much."

Em looked away, her cheeks were blushing. "You are important to me, Dathan. And I cannot bear to see you taken away. And your mother, if she loses you, it will hurt her so much. I do not think I can just stand in one corner and watch her cry for you."

Dathan slowly pulled her close and crushed her against his chest. It was an innocent gesture. He simply wished to soothe her worries away.

"My mother is lucky to have you. You care for her emotions and well-being." He heard her sniffle slightly, so be stroked her hair. "But you cannot live like this always. You have your own emotions to think about as well. I am grateful that you are even thinking about me. At the same time, you have to think about yourself too."

"It is easier said than done, Dathan. But I shall try."

"That's good enough for me."
***

Em left just as the same time his tray was sent up. As planned, she carried his soiled linens and pretended she was summoned to do so. The girl carrying the tray was new and is not familiar with her. So after laying his tray down on the table, Em walked with the girl back to the servants' quarters.

Dathan ate his dinner fast and slowly gathered his things. He did not wish stay long after the wedding, specially after his father had raised an ultimatum for him to wed a rich lady. His duties as the best-man is done and he had even pretended to enjoy the party. He needed to get away from this crowd. Soon, the ladies who failed to capture his brother would turn their attention to him. Not to pat his own back here but despite not having a title to inherit, he was a great catch still.

With a determined mind, he packed his meager things and began to pen a letter for his mother. He planned to depart first thing in the morning.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

113K 4.1K 64
Medieval England - Year 1450: Eleanor was a poor shopkeeper's daughter whose only hope for a better life for herself and her family was to marry well...
102K 6.6K 44
Completed ✨👸🏼 Born to the fairy elite, the royal line, next in line to take the crown, a queen to be announced on her next birthday, with her royal...
44.6K 1.6K 23
"I don't have a heart . " he said leaning away from her touch . her light was too overwhelming for the darkness inside his very soul . he was the tr...
4.4K 716 39
**THE PRINCESS SERIES is part of the GOLDEN UNIVERSE, and considered a sequel to THE GOLDEN QUEEN/A BRAZEN LOVE** ♦YOU MUST HAVE READ THE GOLDEN UNIV...