Fish Out of Water

By DrewJes

Astrid is the crown princess of Atlantis, but she barely has time to worry about the kingdom with six younger... More

Author's Note
Meet the Mermaid Sisters
Part One
Scene One
Scene One II
Scene One III
Scene One IV
Scene One V
Scene One VI
Scene Two
Scene Two II
Scene Two III
The Sisters' Curse
Astrid's Curse
Elspeth's Curse
Anastasia's Curse
Liana's Curse
Calypso's Curse
Priscilla's Curse
Lina's Curse
Scene Two IV
Scene Three
Scene Three II
Scene Three III
Scene Four (Brendan)
Scene Four II (Brendon)
Scene Four III (Brendan)
Scene Five
Scene Five II
Scene Five III
Scene Fifteen
Scene Fifteen II
Scene Sixteen II
Scene Seventeen
Scene Eighteen (Brandon)
Scene Nineteen (Brandon)
Scene Nineteen II (Brandon)
Scene Twenty (Brandon)
Chapter Twenty II (Brandon)
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-One II
Scene Twenty-One III
Scene Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Scene Twenty-Four
Scene Twenty-Five: Brandon
Scene Twenty-Five II: Brandon
Scene Twenty-Six: Brandon
Scene Twenty-Six II: Brandon
Scene Twenty-Seven
Scene Twenty-Eight
Scene Twenty-Nine
Scene Thirty
Scene Thirty-One
Scene Thirty-Two
Scene Thirty-Two II
Scene Thirty-Three (Brandon)
Scene Thirty-Four (Brandon)
Scene Twenty-Five (Brandon)
Scene Twenty-Five II (Brandon)
Scene Twenty-Five III (Brandon)
Scene Twenty-Six
Scene Twenty-Six II
Scene Twenty-Seven
Scene Twenty-Seven II
Scene Twenty-Eight
Part Two
Scene Twenty-Nine
Scene Twenty-Nine II
Scene Thirty

Scene Sixteen

15 1 0
By DrewJes

I lie awake on the dry bed and stare out of the window into the night. The winds have stopped beating on the house, and from the sound of things, both Brendan and the manservant have retired.

The ocean, however, never sleep. Instead, they call me; beckon me; taunt me.

Once, I was queen of the waters, and the currents directed me where I willed them to. Perhaps it still will again, and I'm letting fear over the curse dictated by a usurper control me.

Climbing out of bed, I search around in the darkness until I find where I folded my dress. Still clutching it, I open the heavy object Brendan called a door before rushing toward the stairs.

By some kind of miracle, I don't trip and fall as I rush down them too fast in the dark on my new feet.

The outside door is a little harder to open and keep quiet at the same time, but no one comes running down from above, so I must be somewhat effective.

Then my feet take me across a hard, scratchy surface, the ticklish sensations of their plant life, and finally to the sand that is both hard and soft; wet and dry.

Lingering in the shadows, I change back into my dress before approaching the shore. The waters are still a bit choppy, but nothing like they were before. But still I hesitate at the edge.

What magic will take hold of me if I move back into my watery home? Hopefully, only my own.

Changing back into my dress as quickly as possible, I try not to focus on my humiliation at changing in the open, something a queen would never do. It isn't hard, because my fear that Cerce has truly banished me from my home is crippling. At least, before now, I had a glimmer of a hope.

Now I'll learn the truth of whether I'm a fool for listening to her in the first place, or a fool for not believing her.

But a queen doesn't let her emotions govern her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.3K 596 30
This is the story of a girl called Astrid, and it starts with a prophecy. A prophecy of a life that is not hers but one that will be forced upon her...
7.1K 351 43
After a strange meeting a life is left changed for the better. Another life given to the care of a stranger for safe keeping. Two people, two lives c...
2.8K 51 13
One day on a stormy night a young mermaid meet a young prince saving his life from drowning into the ocean. Later on they meet again but this time it...
1.6K 177 19
Are you a fan of fantasy? Unreal things, adventure, unrealistic persons? If yes, this story is the perfect one for you. Turn on your imagination and...