Fish Out of Water

By DrewJes

Astrid is the crown princess of Atlantis, but she barely has time to worry about the kingdom with six younger... More

Author's Note
Meet the Mermaid Sisters
Part One
Scene One
Scene One II
Scene One III
Scene One IV
Scene One V
Scene One VI
Scene Two
Scene Two II
Scene Two III
The Sisters' Curse
Astrid's Curse
Elspeth's Curse
Anastasia's Curse
Liana's Curse
Calypso's Curse
Priscilla's Curse
Lina's Curse
Scene Two IV
Scene Three
Scene Three II
Scene Three III
Scene Four (Brendan)
Scene Four II (Brendon)
Scene Four III (Brendan)
Scene Five
Scene Five II
Scene Five III
Scene Fifteen
Scene Sixteen
Scene Sixteen II
Scene Seventeen
Scene Eighteen (Brandon)
Scene Nineteen (Brandon)
Scene Nineteen II (Brandon)
Scene Twenty (Brandon)
Chapter Twenty II (Brandon)
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-One II
Scene Twenty-One III
Scene Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Scene Twenty-Four
Scene Twenty-Five: Brandon
Scene Twenty-Five II: Brandon
Scene Twenty-Six: Brandon
Scene Twenty-Six II: Brandon
Scene Twenty-Seven
Scene Twenty-Eight
Scene Twenty-Nine
Scene Thirty
Scene Thirty-One
Scene Thirty-Two
Scene Thirty-Two II
Scene Thirty-Three (Brandon)
Scene Thirty-Four (Brandon)
Scene Twenty-Five (Brandon)
Scene Twenty-Five II (Brandon)
Scene Twenty-Five III (Brandon)
Scene Twenty-Six
Scene Twenty-Six II
Scene Twenty-Seven
Scene Twenty-Seven II
Scene Twenty-Eight
Part Two
Scene Twenty-Nine
Scene Twenty-Nine II
Scene Thirty

Scene Fifteen II

13 1 0
By DrewJes

Distractedly, I stab the food with the two-legged utensil for consummation, and stuff a bite of their version of sea weed into my mouth.

And almost choke. I've never tasted anything so... not wet before in my life.

Brendan awkwardly pats my back with one hand before using his other to raise my own arm above my head.

Somehow, I force the dryness down my throat. I fight the urge not to gag it back up.

"Here." Brendan holds a chalice filled with water at me.

I stare down at it. Why do the two-legged capture water?

"We don't poison our drinks either," Brendan assures.

Drinks? I'm supposed to put this in my mouth, too? I suppose it is something they would have to do up hear, without the water always flowing into them.

As I stare down at this strange turn of events, I suddenly feel a deep yearning in my throat to feel water there again. It's a need, apparently, that we merfolk take for granted.

Bringing the cup to my lips, I take a deep drink.

And go back to coughing. My body is apparently not as able to swallow liquids as it was before this curse. What I had anticipated to be refreshing instead leaves a burning sensation all the way to my lungs. And the taste... How do two-leggeds bear to drink unsalted water?

Again, Brendan is patting my back and raising my arm. "Wow, is this your first time eating a meal ever?"

"Brendan," the manservant warns.

I put the utensil down. I've lost all appetite I had, with all the changes ahead of me just to provide nutrients to my strange, new body. I don't have any energy left in me to do anything else.

Lifting my eyes to meet the manservant's, I hope he understands that I'm saying I appreciate his hospitality, but must now retire.

Then I push my chair back and hurry up to the room that was assigned to me.

Approaching the bed, I wonder what it will be like not having to secure myself to sleep without worrying about the water carrying me from my bed.

Probably not as comfortable as home.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.2K 1K 33
The ocean can be gentle, lulling one into a false sense of security. But the waters are never calm in the Bermuda triangle, and when the waves pick u...
71.7K 2.6K 41
Astrid is a Siren, her only purpose in life is seducing men until she can drown them in the murky depths of the ocean. Caspian would be a trophy for...
189K 12.4K 70
The sirens have been evacuated to a remote island after years of being pillaged and murdered for their ancestors crimes. Though the sirens enjoy thei...
142K 8.7K 29
'In every story, there is a villain who has been defeated. What happens to the defeated villain?' After Lorelei's plot to overthrow the gods failed...