SET APART

By poppaldn

Based in South London x Wura was not the average girl, in fact she was far from it, for her, success was not... More

Characters
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15

1

8K 175 104
By poppaldn

It was Wednesday during the Easter break and I was at my friend, Isabella's(Isa) house to chill. It had got be a good three years since I went to one of these get together things, before it wasn't so bad given that I actually knew the people but this time the case was slightly different. Isa is an extrovert to put it simply. So, the case was that I'll know the girls but the boys? Nuh uh. I would sound like some next loser if I said I am nervous. I'm not, don't get it twisted. I get people nervous not the other way round.

I was with my good friends Isa, Nicole and Lisa. It's had been us four since year 7, most friendships don't last this long, and if they did the likelihood that they were fake was quite high. So, it was actually an achievement that we're still so close after so long.

"Wura, just watch how I will get a man for you today. Listen, all my boys are leng. I promise I'm not speaking a word of a lie!" Isa fussed. Unfortunately, my friends are obsessed with the idea of me being in a relationship. I mean, who's gonna tell them? No, nigga is worthy of me. I won't be so easily acquired, and not now anyway, not with everything I have on my plate. I sigh and turn to her, "Babe, give up. It's futile, there's is too much money to be made in this world to be spending my time with a nigga that's not my husband. Remember time is money and time is limited."

"Preach!!! Wura, well said!" Nicole praised me like and old man, we think veryyyyy alike it's borderline creepy. She's the only one that doesn't push me for a boyfriend. Isa gave up and connected her phone to the speakers not long after ivoriandoll starts blasting, watch how her white neighbours call the police on us.

"Oh shit, I heard a rumour IVD is a thot! They said I'm leaking from the STDs that I got! They say I f****d *beep* *beep* *beep* and *beep* *beep* *beep*" Ladies and Gentlemen, my ghetto friends. At this moment when my friends were performing their hood rat antics four boys walked in.  Isa was ghetto, she didn't lock none of her doors except at night, the girl honestly did not know what fear was. "I honestly don't get why you girls like ratchet s**t like this." A light skin boy kissed his teeth, they walked in like it was their home and sat down on the couch.

"Shut up man! Are you tryna say Ivoriandoll ain't lit? Shuuuuuush." Isa paused the music. "Alright so, you man this is Wura." I waved, I had a weird feeling that things might be awkward since everyone already knew each other. "This is Camz, Reckz, Sav and Vanni." She pointed at them respectively. Truthfully speaking, they were all very good looking.

However, out of all of them Vanni stood out to me the most. He was what you would call a stiff chocolate. As in, clear dark brown skin that looked as if you pinch it, chocolate would come out. His well moisturised waves had a nice shine in the light, he also had a fully connected beard which was impressive for a year 12. The earring in his left ear that glistened every time he moved, it was definitely real. As cringe as it sounds his whole aura demanded attention. Naturally, my interest in this individual was greater than the other's.

At the very least it's good to see that Isa wasn't lying when she send her boys were leng, the whole group had to have been blessed because they all stood at 6'1 and above. Coming like some next boy band.

"So, what areas are you lot from? I haven't seen you lot about." I moved further into the room to get to know them. One of my new years resolutions was to become more sociable, I am the type of person who you would refer to as an introverted extrovert. Contrary to what I initially thought they were actually easy to talk to and it wasn't awkward at all, apart from Vanni. He only spoke when necessary or when someone asked him a question but mainly just observed or was on his phone. I'm not gonna lie I thought it was borderline rude, but it's whatever though, each to their own innit?

"Lemme be real, us man know from the jump if we want a relationship or not. So when some man say they are not into relationships, they are not into relationships. You girls think you're Holy Mary, thinking you can 'change' them. That's why you girls are out here getting your hearts broken!" Sav argued, Nicole brought up a hood love story that she saw on Twitter then we ended up discussing. Somehow we ended up here. "Let me not even lie, I lowkey agree..." Lisa agreed, the boys were sitting opposite us. It was a boys vs girls type of thing. Let me not lie, I agree too, sometime girls are too dumb.

"Exactly, cos you know I'm right! That's why you're silent now. If girls said the same thing, it's cap! Do a little sweet talking and it's a wrap! You lot are too easy." Sav kept going. "Okay, that is where you go wrong! You're making it seem like we're fickle, the fickle ones are you! That's why we have hood love stories because you man are selfish and go out cheating!" Us girls clicked to that. Even I knew that was the case despite never being cheated on, let alone have a boyfriend, but that's besides the point...

"Arghh man, look at these girls! You lot love to change the subject..." This argument went on for a good hour. Black people can argue sha. After the conversation shifted to another topic I got up to go to the kitchen for a drink. As I was pouring some cranberry juice, Vanni walked in. "You want some?" I offered to pour him a drink, he nodded. Seeing as he was settling down I decided to try get a few words out of him.

"They chat bare alie?" I passed him his drink and hopped up to sit on the counter. He let out a small laugh and nodded. I observed him discreetly while taking a sip, trying to figure out how to initiate conversation. It was weird because he gave off an unapproachable vibe, that made it difficult given my introverted personality. Was it weird his distant attitude made me curious? Probably.

"You don't talk much, do you?" I was silently praying that he wouldn't give me dead replies because that would just make me feel like a beg. Thankfully that wasn't the case and he answered, "Yeah, it's gets me in trouble from time to time..." Did I mention his voice was flipping deep? No? How do I describe it? Abra Cadabra. Pop Smoke. You get it now? Well, yeah. Something like that. Okay, so how can I find my very type to the T at such an inconvenient time? I wondered if God was testing my self control or something.

"How do you mean?"

"Arghh, I guess I come off as rude. Camz started telling people I'm autistic after some older got onto me about it." I genuinely could stop myself from laughing after hearing him say that with such a straight face. "That's funny yeah?" He smiled.

"He's cute" I thought. We ended up speaking for longer than I intended in the kitchen. He was actually way easier to speak to than I thought and was really nice, contrary to his appearance. "We should get back before they start suspecting stuff." I made a move to leave before he stopped me. "Wait."

"Let me get your snap?" He passed me his phone, I contemplated whether it would be appropriate. If he was asking because he wanted to move to me, I won't give it to him. Don't get me wrong he's lengggg and he has a good personality, but me right now I'm too busy for any relationship. I mean that in every sense, mentally, financially, faithfully etc.

"I'm not tryna move you man, you seem cool so I was gonna shout you later." He smirked as if to poke fun at me. Seeing as that was the reason I gave him my number instead, "I'm not active on snap."

"Say nothing, I'm cutting now so I'll shout you later though." He stuffed his phone and AirPods in his tracksuit pocket then gave me a side hug before leaving.

I finished my drink that went back into the living room to see that all the boys had left. It was around 7pm and they lived far so that wasn't strange. "You man look, it's Ms IDontWantAMan." Isa gave me a dirty look. Oh my days, what kind of crazy situation did they make up in their minds now?

I sigh, "What I do?"

"You think we didn't clock you and Vanni all comfy in my kitchen? I told you we were gonna get you a man today. Lisa run me my money." Isa gassed, evidently she's going to have to get her eyes checked because nothing comfy was happening in any kitchen. Second of all, I know my friends are not betting on my business, what the hell? "Lisa, keep your money. Nothing happened if that's what you were thinking. Let me not lie, even I thought he was moving to me at one point but he said he thought I was cool. So, get rid of any notions of a potential relationship out of your head. Thank you."

"I told you! That time we met Tion Wayne sis didn't even bat an eyelid." Lisa gloated with the money Isa owed her. "Right, so did any of them catch your eye?" I had to hand it to her, Isa was stubborn to the T. Even after losing money sis still did not let go.

"I mean, Vanni is leng! However, Camz yeah. If he moved to me I wouldn't say no..." I bluffed, I payed close attention to Isa's facial expressions. Her face immediately twisted up, I knew it! This girl deffo likes him. "What? But you barely even know him, and he's not even your type. You like dark skins and waves, Camz has long hair and he's light skin so...?" I just looked at this girl. Did she think I wouldn't clock. This girl and Camz were play fighting as if to announce to the whole world that they were talking.

"You just baited yourself out by the way." Nicole laughed at her. "Were we that obvious?" We all nodded, even the Lisa clocked and this girl was the definition of dopey, "Listen, I don't even know man. He keeps playing, like he says he likes me but sometimes he'll just ghost then come back like nothing happened. I know what he's been like with other girls, I know he's changed but I don't know, when he does stuff like that it puts me off. That's why I didn't want to tell you man."

"Does he chat to other girls or...?" I asked because if he was then, snip snip. That's it.

"Nah not even, it's just me. Like he just won't speak to me. The boys live far so it's not like I can even see him often because of school." I nodded sympathising with her, it seem like a problem that they'd have a solution to. I mean I didn't know Camz to root for them like that but he did seem like a guy with a good head on his shoulders. On top of that, Isa was a lot of things but she wasn't dumb and she knew better than to waste her time. If she's still talking to this guy after all that then he must have some worth to him.

"I guess you can only call him out on it then. It's like 8 now, so I'm bout to cut and go home." Today was good. It was weird and a feeling I wanted to ignore but, I felt like I was about to be exposed to new experiences and people after meeting Vanni. Perhaps I was getting too excited I don't know. Would this be a good thing or bad thing, could it affect what I have already got going on? If yes, would it be good or bad? Those were the thoughts that I had on my way home.

~•.•.•~

That's Chapter 1, this is barely proofread and I feel my writing style is a bit stiff but I tried sha. Lemme know your opinions of Wura and Vanni in the comments too x

-poppaldn

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

433 47 6
A sequel to Completion (on my profile), best advised to read that one first xo A London based storyπŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ a story by 𝑻𝑯𝑬𝑢𝑡𝑳𝒀𝑱𝑨𝒀𝑫𝑺𝒁𝑺.
SINNERS. By torixteni

General Fiction

52.4K 2K 34
𝕀𝕠𝕦π•₯𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕀π•₯ π•π• π•Ÿπ••π• π•Ÿ 𝕓𝕒𝕀𝕖𝕕 π•€π•šπ•Ÿπ•Ÿπ•–π•£ /Λˆπ•€Ιͺπ•ŸΙ™/ π•Ÿπ• π•¦π•Ÿ 𝕒 π•‘π•–π•£π•€π• π•Ÿ 𝕨𝕙𝕠 π•₯π•£π•’π•Ÿπ•€π•˜π•£π•–π•€π•€π•–π•€ π•’π•˜π•’π•šπ•Ÿπ•€π•₯ π••π•šπ•§π•šπ•ŸοΏ½...
6.2K 360 20
"Hey! She already said she was sorry. What more do you want?!" I screamed loudly in his face. His face turned from angry to shocked. No one had ever...
9.1K 16 1
Follow Jordan, a 17 year old teenager who grows up with one of the most infamous gang in the western suburbs of Melbourne for all his life he is taug...