His Innocent Rose (Hinley Man...

By RaeySam

-Damian Davensport- He was the next Duke of Hinley and all of his Father's responsibilities fell into his sho... More

Chapter One: The Master is Home
Chapter Two: Engaged and Enraged
Chapter Three: An accident
Chapter Four: Old stirrings
Chapter Five: Hesitation for decisions
Chapter Six: The Chase
Chapter Seven: Cornered
Chapter Eight: A motherly offer
Chapter Nine: Morning ride after
Chapter Ten: Unwanted confession
Chapter Eleven: A lady's plan
Chapter Twelve: Lordly Encounters
Chapter Thirteen: Suprise guest
Chapter Fourteen: Ripped feelings
Chapter Fifteen: One desirable meeting
Chapter Sixteen: Steps taken and another to take
Chapter Seventeen: Family dinner
Chapter Eighteen: Unguarded impulse
Chapter Nineteen: Plan gone wrong
Chapter Twenty: Abducted
Chapter Twenty-One: That white dress
Chapter Twenty-Two: Men talk
Chapter Twenty-Three: Unveiling
Chapter Twenty-Four: A Tryst
Chapter Twenty-Five: Afternoon tea
Chapter Twenty-Six: His Majesty
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Handful
Chapter Twenty-eight: It's a must
Chapter twenty-nine: Day before the wedding
Chapter Thirty: Night before the wedding
Chapter Thirty-one: Tying the knot
Chapter Thirty-three: Who are you?
Chapter 34: The departure
Chapter 35: Hand me downs
Chapter 36: One rainy afternoon
Chapter 37: Dew drops
Chapter 38: Fire
Chapter 39: Royal ride
Chapter 40: Seductress
Chapter 41: The City
Chapter 42: Dinner party
Chapter 43: Escort
Chapter 44: Noble guests
Chapter 45: Corsets
Chapter 46: Blush
Chapter 47: Allerdale Rooms
Chapter 48: Confused for love
Chapter 49: The first suitor
Chapter 50: Princely intervention
Chapter 51: Presumed scandal
Chapter 52: Curiosity
Chapter 53: Seemingly challenge
Chapter 54: Knight's bell tower
Chapter 55: Surrender
Chapter 56: Scheme
Chapter 57: On bended knee
Chapter 58: Engaged and Enraged...again
Chapter 59: Knight over flowers
Chapter 60: The helpful prince
Chapter 61: Search and you shall find
Chapter 62: What is the truth?
Chapter 63: Barfield
Chapter 64: The final piece
Chapter 65: Under siege
Chapter 66: Unveiling, once more
Chapter 67: Habsurg
Chapter 68: Rheinhold
Chapter 69: Bloodline
70: Love and Protection
Author's note

Chapter Thirty-two: Mine

128 4 2
By RaeySam

"Truth demands confrontation. It must be loving confrontation but there must be confrontation nonetheless."
-Francis  Schaeffer
⚜️

Hinley Manor

Damian's room

Peterson was helping him disrobe and change into a simpler riding habit. He planned to leave by the back door instead of announcing to the guests that he and his wife would now consummate their marriage. He did not need to humiliate Lydia further.

"That is all, Peterson. Be a good man and have them draw the carriage would you?"

"Yes my lord." Replied the servant.

After the door closed, Damian turned to look outside the window. He could see the people dancing from up here. His mother and father seemed pleased with everything and he let out a sigh. He did lived to please them at every turn. He wondered what would have happened had he followed his brother's footsteps. If he went to Portham and worked physical labor, slept in a shared room, ate very little or none for dinner. Would they still give him Hinley?

His thoughts halted when a knock came sounding outside. "Who is it?"

"It's me brother."

Damian went to the door and pulled his brother inside. He then looked to the left and right to make sure no was there. Once the coast the clear he slammed the door and locked it.

"Why are you hiding up here?" Dathan asked. He looked his brother up and down. "And why are you dressed in a riding habit?"

"I do not want people to gawk at us when we leave for the cottage. Lydia and I shall leave through the back." He replied.

"I see." But Dathan's mind was whirling around. He planned this afternoon different but his brother outsmarted him, again. "Can you spare me a few moments then?"

Damian was ruffling through some papers before putting them inside his satchel. "Go on."

Dathan inhaled deeply. How was he going to say this? He figured he could just be affront with his brother. "I know about you and Emelia."

Damian paused. His eyes slowly moved to his brother. His face looked guilty. Dathan's knuckles crunched but he fought himself back. "Brother, I can explain."

"Can you now?" He snapped. "How long have you been snooping around with her?"

"I was not snooping around with her. We had feelings for each other, yes. But that is on the past. We have since long moved on."

"Is that so? Or did you just dropped her off because you have your Lady bride now? Was Emelia not enough? Was it because she was a servant?"

"I cannot fathom why you are upset, Dathan. And I certainly do not have the time to answer these questions right now. Can it not wait some other time?" Damian closed his satchel and made his way towards the door but Dathan beat him to it.

"I am not upset, I am mad brother! Because she was our friend. You knew what she had been through and we could have been the brothers she never had but instead you chose to play with her emotions. What sort of gentleman does that?"

Damian sighed. "Spoken like a real gentleman, brother. Are you not the ladies sort of man? Who left women hanging for your attention when you've already moved on to another?" He shook his head. "I did not play with her emotions. I loved her, Dathan. Ever since we were little. We sort of grew closer and...and we were young. We thought we could beat the world together. When we separated ways five years ago I thought I'd forget about her. I thought she'd grow her fondness with someone else." He touched his brother's shoulder. "I did not mean to hurt her. When we came back I realized I still had feelings for her. And she felt the same."

"So you continued your affair with her. And you used her innocence." Dathan accused him. "Tell me, have you taken her to your bed yet?"

"No. I had my chances but she stopped me in time. I offered to provide for her but she refused that too."

Dathan's eyes darkened. "You asked her to be your mistress?!"

"Don't bat your lashes at me. During that time, it was all I could think of. I wanted to be with her but I cannot disobey Father's wishes to marry Lydia. Then Emelia had asked me to stop seeing her. So we had an agreement."

"You are pathetic, Damian." He brushed his brother's hand away. "If you truly loved her you would not make her a second option. I could strangle you right now.....but I won't. Can't have your bride wondering why her dear husband cannot perform on their wedding night." He opened the door and gave Damian one last glance. "You stay away from Emelia, you understand?"

He did not wait for Damian's reply and slammed the door loudly.
***

Lydia's room

After Em helped her disrobe and set aside the wedding dress, they rummaged through her wardrobe and decided which ones would Damian like. With a heavy heart, Em tried her best to smile politely at her.

"What about this one, Emelia?" Lydia asked.

It was a red night gown with a very thin material. She could practically see through Lydia's chemise.

"It is quite revealing, My Lady."

"Well if I intend to give Damian a son then he should be at least enjoying it, don't you agree?"

Em turned her eyes away. "Y-yes, My Lady. Though the red washes away your color."

"Is that so?" She sashayed gracefully and went to the mirror. She looked pale, yes. And even with her cherry tint lips she did not look dashing with this ensemble. "Or is because you know that Damian hates the color red?"

"I beg you pardon?" Em asked.

Lydia caught her eyes through the mirror. "You and Damian were close when you were little, were you not? You must know a lot about him, hmm?"

Em's face flushed. She bowed her head. "Yes, My Lady. But so were the other children at that time."

Lydia wasn't buying it. "And pray tell, what do you think is Damian's favourite color?"

Em debated with herself if she should tell her or not . Lydia might get the wrong impression. In the end she did. "G-green, My Lady. His valet, Peterson said so."

"Green. Hmm." She turned around with her hands on her hips. "Then what are you waiting for? Take all of my green outfits and help me get dressed."

"Yes, My Lady."
***

They tried about four or so outfits before settling on a mint green ensemble. Outside it looked simple and not so attractive but underneath had so many lace and ribbons that accentuated her legs and hips. Lydia could not help but smile. There was no way Damian could look away once she took it off.

"This will do, Emelia."

Em bowed and picked up the scattered outfits thrown on the floor. Once they were all safely tucked inside the closet, she turned to put away the wedding dress when she noticed something was missing. She shook her wrist and it was suddenly lighter. She pushed her sleeve up and her eyes widened.

"Is something the matter, Emelia?" Lydia asked.

"I...uh..Nothing, My Lady. I shall put away your wedding dress now."

"Oh, leave that be. The other servants can handle that." She intercepted Em and stepped right in front of her. "You do have something to tell me, do you not?"

"I am not certain that I understand, My Lady."

"Well, how about we start by telling me where you got this lovely bracelet?" Lydia pulled it out from her pocket. "It came off when you were picking up my clothes. Quite lovely. This is pure emerald, an expensive stone and is very sought after."

"It was gift, My Lady." Em said immediately.

"Oh, I figured that much. You do not seem like the thieving kind. But I was asking who gave it to you."

Em looked down. "A friend. It was from a friend."

"And what kind of friend is that? I have wondered who in this house could afford this?" Lydia took a step closer but Em stepped back. "Is he a servant? A rich lady or...perhaps, one of the Davensport's?"

Em's heart stopped. Did Lydia know? "My Lady, if I could just have my bracelet back. You are expected downstairs, are you not?"

Lydia's nose flared. "You dare not answer my question? You? You are nothing but a servant who moved one step up but will always be lower than my station. I am the new Duchess of Hinley and I can fire you anytime. Not unless you give me what I want." She pushed Em against the wall and held the bracelet up to her face. "Did he give this to you?"

"H-he? Who do you mean?"

"Do not feign your innocence at me. I know you were Damian's mistress. He must have given this to you. Am I wrong, Emelia? Or should I say, Rose?." Lydia snapped.

Em couldn't help but gasp. "I was not his mistress, My Lady." But he offered for me to be one, her mind screamed. Em refused to say it least the woman go berserk. "And Lord Damian did not give me that bracelet."

"Liar. I heard you two during the welcoming party, he chased you on that corridor and I followed you. And it was you in his room when I tried to push the door open, were you not? And last night, he was speaking with you alone. He was holding your hand while whispering who-knows-what in your ears. Tell me." Lydia lowered his voice. "Have you slept with my husband?"

Em's eyes watered. "No, My Lady. I swear." Oh god. How did Lydia find out about their meetings? Is that why she looked upset when their eyes met before the wedding? She thought she was all alone with Damian after Sam left and that incident at the corridor which was a dark, cramped place, a Lady like her should not venture. "I have naught but feelings for him as a child but it was long gone. The last time we spoke we had agreed that we put the past behind us and that is all, I swear." As much as it hurt, her only escape was to be honest.

Lydia blinked. She could tell Em was telling the truth. But knowing that she had feelings for him as a child was alarming. Did that mean they had been together before? She took a lungful of air before continuing, "Did he, returned your feelings?"

Em nodded very gently. "For a time. But we both knew we cannot be together. I am merely a servant and he was my lord." Em's tears fell now. "You may have heard only his side of the story that night but I shoved him away and nothing happened to us. Please believe me. He chose you, My Lady."

Lydia did not know if she should be happy or stay mad. She thought that the woman held Damian back and prevented him from loving her instead. But Em had freed him, despite the obvious feelings she still felt for her husband. How could she ignore the sacrifice Em had made?

They were quite for awhile until Evangeline came in. She went to Lydia, "My Lady, the carriage is waiting for you."

Lydia turned her head but her eyes went back to Emelia's tear stained face. She planned to confront her and make her spit out the truth but it was not the truth she expected. Emelia did not want to be Damian's mistress, she was not planning to steal him from her. All this time Lydia thought she was competing with a woman who would fight for Damian's heart until the end. But what she got was someone who loved him so much that she managed to let him go.

"Tell them I shall be down soon." Lydia told Evangeline. "I just have few things to settle before I go."

"Yes, My Lady."

Once alone, Lydia approached Em. This time she was calmer. "You can keep this." She said, handing the bracelet back to Em. "I shall be away for atleast a fortnight. By the time I am back I expect you gone from here."

"Y-yes, My Lady." I will never return. Her mind said.

Lydia opened the door and gave her one last glance, "And Emelia? Stay away from Damian. He's my husband now."

Em could not say a thing. Lydia slammed the door and left.
***

Time passed and Em felt it was probably supper time now. She stood up and looked around. The wedding dress laid on the bed, beautiful and wrinkled. She ran her hands on it. Such a waste to throw it out but no one else would be using it. Mayhap she could take it? She knew little about sewing. She could cut off the sleeves and turn it into another dress.

There was a burst of laughter downstairs and she decided to act before she changed her mind. She folded the dress and went out of Lydia's room. The new Duchess hated her and wanted her gone, then she would do so for her own good.
***

"Dathan?" Lucille called her son. "Spare me a dance will you?" She noticed he'd been quite and distant since disappearing for a moment. She wondered if he had been with his brother.

"With pleasure, mother." He replied courteously.

He took his mother's hand and led her to the dance floor. They were playing a waltz. Much as he hated dancing when he was a child, it came at his advantage when he chased women. He was actually good at it.

"My, my. You have certainly learned to dance properly."

Dathan chuckled. "It would seem so, mother."

They were quite for awhile, enjoying the cold evening wind. It was Lucille who broke the silence. "You could come with us, Dathan. To Westershire."

"A lovely offer, mother. But I must decline. I am afraid work awaits me at Portham."

"So soon? But Vincent would be away for most of the day. I could use some company."

"You would have Emelia, would you not?" He asked.

"Yes. But she is not a blood relative. I reckon this might be my chance to make it up to you."

Something by the way his mother said it melted his heart. He knew she loved all her children but because Damian was the heir, she had to spend more time with him, grooming him for his role. While he was left with the governesses and the servants. He gave Lucille a genuine smile.

"I appreciate that mother. Mayhap I can visit you every now and then."

"I guess that will do." They continued until the song ended. Dathan returned his mother to her giggling friends and turned around to see Emelia in a corner with a handsome stranger.
***

"Ah, finally. A friendly face!" Alexi said and pulled Emelia from the door. "Would you like something to eat?"

Em just got back from her room. The beautiful wedding dress tucked in her luggage. She tried to smile, "That would be nice, Alexi. But you do not need to hold my hand." She said shyly.

Alexi laughed and let her hand go, "Fine. But don't disappear and follow me, alright?"

"I assure you, I am not going anywhere." Yet. I would enjoy tonight as it is my last. "Lead the way, please."
***

Alexi found them a vacant table and insisted he make her a plate. Em succumbed and waited for his return. Her eyes surveyed the place and noticed that the party was still going on and showed no signs of stopping any time soon.

"Here is some roasted pork, potatoes and I believe a lemon pie."

He laid down a plate and she marveled at how nice the food arrangement was. She took a bite of the pork and savored the right amount of saltiness and sweetness of the meat. "This is good." She said. Her plump lips chewing gracefully. "Are you going to eat as well?"

Alexi smiled and proudly presented his own plate. It had the same roasted pork but with more variants compared to hers. There was chicken, peas, shrimps, fish, scallops and even wine. Alexi saw how she eyed his plate, "See anything you like?"

"I most certainly do."then without asking Em grabbed her fork and took the chicken leg.

"What? But that's the only chicken left!" Alexi said.

"Then you should have filled my plate with more." Em chuckled and bit unto the chicken. "This is mine now."

Alexi shook his head, "Aren't you women supposed to be watching your figure?"

"Oh, I do not have to. I can eat as much as you could and do not get fat." She said proudly.

"Well aren't you lucky."

After awhile, Em was full. She turned to Alexi, "I seem to recall you preferred gardens so much. Remember when I first met you in Laure?"

Alexi nodded, "I grew fond of the plants and flowers that grew here. Back home, we usually have cactuses or vines. A few roses strived in the middle of the city but those around the beaches often died. So I visit every garden I could while I'm here."

"It is like a hobby then?"

"Perhaps," he wiped his mouth with his napkin, "I study how they grow, develop and even perish. I have planned to bring samples when I return. My late mother, Queen Valerie, adored flowers. It would be nice to erect a garden in her memory."

"That sounds like a wonderful plan. I am certain she would love it."
***

Dathan watched from a distance and eyed the man beside Em. He was not familiar. But the way they talked looked like they have known each other for some time now. Where did the bastard come from?

"Good evening, my lord. May I offer you some wine?"

Dathan turned his head and saw Lydia's cousin who had the same lovely gray eyes. She was wearing a seductive smile and a non-provocative dress. Beauty certainly ran in their family. He wanted to applaud her boldness in approaching him instead of waiting for someone to introduce them. Perhaps propriety went home early. But he was not interested in another redhead. In fact, none of these beauties caught his eyes.

"No, thank you. I am quite content." He replied raising his glass.

But Cristina was persistent, it was not everyday she came across a handsome rich lord's son. He may the second son but he was definitely a catch. If her spinster-rebellious cousin snagged the first brother perhaps she could do the same on the other one. She tried batting her eyelashes, "Oh but this is a rare piece of gem, my lord. They said this very wine came from Habsburg."

Dathan wanted to scoff but he did not wish to be rude. "That is indeed interesting. However, I have travelled far and wide and already tasted the best Habsburg could offer. I shall let you in on a secret," he leaned over, "Their wine is not the best the in the world."

"Ohh." She said sadly. Cristina knew she was a good actress and men easily fall for her fake disappointed face. Often times men's vanity would tell them to try their best and win her back. Surely, this Davensport was the same.

But she was wrong.

Dathan excused himself and walked away. She was left with a half-opened bottle of wine and two glasses in one hand. She looked ridiculous.
***

Dathan was not ready to intrude with Em and her friend. He knew she was still wary of him ever since the proposal he made. He satisfied himself by observing them for now.

He continued to move around and noticed that Lydia's cousin seemed to be following him. He cursed silently. This is why he hated social gatherings. Women knew he was a bachelor and with his brother off the list, he was much more vulnerable. When will they realize he had no interest in them?

To further escape his admirer he snatched Julianna away from her friends, "Jules, have you forgotten you promised a dance for your brother?"

Julianna was surprised and had no idea what her brother was talking about. But something in the way he looked at her told her he was desperate to get her away. So she excused herself and went with him. Once in the middle of the dance floor she clutched her brother's lapels, "What is going on Dathan?"

"I am being chased." He whispered and tried his best to remain in the center. This way, no one would know where they could possibly corner him. "You're my only salvation."

Julianna rolled her eyes. "Chased by whom?" She felt him gestured towards the direction where Cristina was. "You're a grown man, why would you need a child to defend you?"

"Because when another lady is in my presence I do not look very approachable."

"Well, I am quite flattered that you treat me a real lady. But I do not see why you are eluding Lydia's cousin. She seemed rather nice."

Dathan scoffed, "She is nice to you and mother perhaps. But I can see through her beauty and presumptuous wiles. She is here to find a rich husband."

"Are you not being unfair, brother? We do not know Cristina that well. She could be genuinely interested in you."

"She is interested in my family name, riches and the extravagance it could offer. I know you cannot understand these things yet but once you come of age, you will see how misleading nice people could be. People like ourselves need to thread carefully or they would feed on us until we run dry."

The dance was ending and he could see Cristina eyeing them. Blast it. He searched around where he could possibly run off to. His eyes landed on Em and her friend once more. An idea struck him.

"I shall remember what you said, Dathan. But I do hope you shall find a lovely wife like how Damian found Lydia." Julianna said.

Dathan smiled at her. His sister need not know the friction between the newly weds. "Mayhap, I shall."
***

Dathan dragged his sister towards the far end corner. Cristina had to tiptoe to keep an eye on them but they were too far.

"Are you not returning me to my friends?" Julianna asked.

"A moment would you please, Jules?" He replied until they came upon Em's table. She saw them arrive and had a surprised look on her face. She opened her mouth but nothing came out.

"Emelia! You look wonderful! I hardly recognized you." Julianna said. Thank God for her sister's short span of attention. She immediately eyed their mother's companion.

"T-thank you, my lady." She said and lowered her eyes shyly.

"And who might this be?" Jules asked as she looked at Alexi. "Is this charming young man a friend of yours, Emelia?"

Dathan wanted to box his sister's ears but he was also curious who this stranger might be. Em stared at Alexi and smiled, "Yes, my lady. He is."

Alexi stood and reached out for Julianna's hand. He planted a respectful kiss before bowing, "Pleasure to meet you Lady Julianna. I am Alexi." His eyes went to Dathan, "And of course the renowned Davensport twin. It is my pleasure to make your acquaintance." He shook Dathan's hand and only got a nod from him.

They were quite for sometime and Em felt she needed to breathe. "Would you like to join us, my lord? My lady?"

"We should be going—"

"Oh, that is prefect Emelia. I do wish to sit down." Julianna interrupted and pulled her brother next to her. A servant came to give them refreshments. His sister courageously took the wine and shoved the orange juice at him. Dathan carefully switched the glasses with a helpful hand trick his friends taught him. If she gets drunk, his parents would have his head. She was far too young to enjoy liquors. So he sat there contemplating what to do next.

"Are you from Lydia's side of the family, Alexi? I may call you Alexi, can I?" Julianna asked.

"Of course, my lady." He said charmingly. "But I am not a relative of neither side. I came as a friend."

"I see. And who's friend might you be? Damian's perhaps?"

Dathan wanted to kick his sister's foot. She was prying too much. He ought to remind her governess to teach his sister proper manners. He wondered why would she be interested in this young fellow. True, he was quite easy on the eyes but his sister was too young to be attracted to men, is she?

"No, I am afraid not. I have merely met your eldest today and your other brother just now."

Dathan raised his brow. How could someone be so charming? Was this Alexi doing it on purpose to enchant the ladies present? He stared at Julianna and saw how her eyes flutter with a hint of interest. He never saw her this adamant to stay in one place.

"Will your friends be looking for you, Jules?" He whispered to her.

"Oh, do be a doll brother. I am certain they are having fun without me." She replied. "I have just the loveliest idea!"

"What is it, my lady?" Alexi asked.

"Dathan, dearest brother why don't you ask Emelia for a dance?"

"What?!" Both Em and Dathan blurted out.

"You do love dancing, do you not Emelia?" She asked Em.

"Y-yes, my lady. But I do not think it is proper for me to dance with Lord Dathan."

"Oh, posh. You are no longer a servant, Emelia. And Dathan is not Damian, he can very well dance with anyone he wants." Julianna said.

"I agree with you, Lady Julianna." Alexi said. "You have finished your food, have you not Em?"

"I..um..yes. I believe so."

"And your dance card is empty?"

"It has been since this afternoon."

"Perfect!" Julianna clapped. "Dathan happens to be the best dancer in the family. I am certain he shall take care of you, Emelia."

Em could not argue further. It was two against her. Dathan was quite but he seemed to be upset about it. He sighed deeply and said, "Would you care to dance with me, Emelia?"

"I..my lord..I.." why is everyone pushing her into this? Even Alexi seemed amused. Anyhow, she would deal with him later. She knew she had to face Dathan soon. "If you would have me, my lord."

"Wonderful!" Julianna nudged her brother and he had no choice but to stand. "Off you go now." She shooed them away.

Dathan held Emelia's hand and led her to the dance floor.
***

"Do forgive my sister, Em. She and her unpredictable ploys gets me every time." Dathan said when they have taken their positions. "Believe me, I did not wish to ruin your evening. I apologize for making you angry."

"You have not. I am not angry at you, Dathan." Em replied. "Lady Julianna simply abhors being in your presence and shoved you into my care."

He was quite for sometime. He seemed to be absorbing what she just said, "Do you think so? Does Julianna really dislike me?"

Em chuckled, "I am jesting, Dathan! Your sister adores you of course."

He scoffed but smiled secretly, "Not as much as she adored Damian, I am certain."

"Whyever do you say?"

"Oh, I was the opposite of the loving, gentle brother of what Damian was. I always brawled with the kids outside and often hated studying. I was picky with my food as she was but I got away with it, always. That upset her. So Damian would tell me to set an example for her and like a good brother he was, he compelled me." He paused as they were taking a turn, "She used to sleep next to him but never with me when she had nightmares. They were the perfect picture of noble siblings. Whenever I try to play or speak with her she either ends up crying or flying into tantrums."

Em weighed her words before responding, "Mayhap it was because she used to be a victim of your pranks, as well?"

"That, I can agree." He laughed. The dance was ending and Cristina had spotted him yet again. "I hate to intrude further, Em. But may we speak in private?"

She was uncertain what to say but finally yielded, "Whyever not, my lord?"
***

When the musicians reached the climax of the song, Dathan and Emelia used the opportunity of swirling dancers to escape outside. Cristina lost her prey once more.

Dathan pulled her gently to the balcony. It was getting cold but the moon shone beautifully. So their attention was turned elsewhere.

"Well, this is much better than the crowded ballroom, is it not?" Dathan asked her.

"Certainly."

He let the silence sit with them for a little while. When Em made an obvious shivering noise, he took off his coat and covered her with it.

"Thank you, Dathan." She said.

He smiled and leaned against the wall, "This is awkward, I know. But, I would like to apologize for startling you with my proposal, Em. It wasn't the most romantic gestures in the world but I really meant it."

"Apology accepted." She turned around and faced the garden, "And it need not to be the most romantic gesture to be accepted as a proper proposal, you most certainly could have captured any woman with that boldness, Dathan. The way you prepared the place to do it, the decorations and my God...you even made the ring!"

"Such generous words, Em. And what is the "but" that I feel will come soon?"

"But," she kept her back to him, "I had to decline. I cannot accept such offer. Not because you and I are of different statuses, nor because we are friends but it was just..I do not know if had feelings for you. Feelings that are beyond friendship or feelings that are enough to marry you. And I think that is unfair."

"Can you give me a chance to convince you then?" He took a step forward and pulled her towards him. Her back bumped into his front. "I could always persuade you, Em. I recalled how you willingly responded to my kisses, to my touch and my voice." He nuzzled against her ear and whispered, "We could do it again, right here."

Em's eyes went wide. "Is that the kind of woman you think I am? A wanton?"

"No. Of course not. I only meant you responded like one." A resounding slap echoed on the balcony. Stupid Dathan! Why would he ever think of her that way?

She slowly turned around, "If you wish to marry to satisfy your appetite, I am certain a number of ladies would be willing enough. I may be just a companion for your mother but I am no light skirt!"

Dathan touched his cheek, there was a slight pain there but he had worse. "Apologies, Em. I meant it in a good way not to offend you. You have to believe me." Drats. How did he lose his charming flirtatious ways?

Em was fuming with anger but she tried to keep it low. "If we keep arguing and I ended up forgiving you then perhaps there is nothing more for us to talk about. I still do not accept your proposal."

She tried to get past him but he caught her arm, "What about my brother?"

"W-What do you mean about your brother?"

Dathan slowly turned around and met her eyes, "You had an affair with him, am I right?"

"I..I do not know what mean." She averted her eyes and longed to escape. But his grip on her was too strong to break away. "Is this another prank of yours to make fun of me?"

"If someone was playing pranks here it would be you, Em. You tricked me into believing we had something between us. But all this time, you had my brother's hands all over you." He sighed. "God, you must have been disgusted whenever I touched you."

Em had finally lost it, "Whatever it is that may have been between me and Damian is none of your concern. Before you judge me for whatever accusation you have, I will stop you right now."

"You are not even denying it."

Em held her chin high, "I did not break any law, Dathan. Yes, I loved your brother. I cared for him more than I should have and I almost gave him my heart. But we both knew we cannot be together. We are worlds apart. I have forgiven him for hurting me and I let him go. So yes, I am not denying being with him."

"Is that why you cannot accept me? Because I am not him? Then pray tell, why were so willing to submit to me? Do you imagine him when you were with me? Because we share the same face?"

"Let me remind you that it was not me who forced you to kiss my lips. I did not lead you into anything. You flirted with me in every occasion you get. What was I supposed to do? I had no idea you wanted more from me. We've been friends when we were kids. But you suddenly came unto me like a hungry lion. I did not know why my body seemed to like whatever you did to me. It was as if I was not in control of my own mind. The next thing I know, I was just enjoying it."

Dathan was going uphill and downhill with all the mixed emotions the way those words affected him. Emelia just confessed loving his perfect little brother and at the same she had innocently confessed that she liked what they had shared.

They stared at each other for long time. He knew he had over stepped his bounds when he accused her of having an affair with Damian but he was never the thinking type. He would act first and always regret the consequences in the end. Now he had no idea how to talk to her anymore. If he apologized again Em might as well throw him off the balcony. He needed to think and weigh his words carefully.

"This is not how I planned the evening should go." He blurted out. Em held her breath. Her eyes still angry but not as murderous as it was before. He gulped down before continuing, "It was wrong of me to accuse you immediately. A proper gentleman should have asked carefully."

Em sighed, "You are no proper gentleman, Dathan. You are an honest man. Too honest that you cannot filter whatever you wish to say out loud. No matter how hurtful your words could be or how improper and insulting, it is just the kind of person that you truly are. But I cannot shrug off how painful the accusation is. I might be able to forgive you one day but I am afraid this conversation ends now."

She whisked his hand away and went for the exit but he caught her again. He held her shoulders on both hands so that she faced him, "You are right. It was very insulting of me to accuse you immediately. I just could not hold back the betrayal you two gave me." He averted his eyes, "Damian confessed about the affair before he left. I was still trying to deduce and blame him for everything. That maybe he corrupted your innocence and that he should be punished for hurting you. And when you confessed the same thing just now, I just bursted from my shell. I do not wish to blame you for loving him but I am very, very..hurt." He looked up and felt an itch around his eyes. "I cared so much about you, Em. And knowing that my own twin brother had used and abused your heart broke my entire being. I could not stand seeing the person I cared about got tossed away by him."

Em said nothing. She was too shocked for words. She had not realized how painful this was as well for him. He truly cared for her.

She took off his hands on her shoulders and held his hands, "You are a wonderful man, Dathan. Despite your pranks, your none sense humor and no love for riches, any woman would want you." She slowly hugged him but this time it was without pretense. "I did not realize how it would affect you when we started the affair. I should have known how betrayal between friends could destroy a person. But I was being selfish. I chose what my heart wanted and got blinded by it. Forgive me, Dathan. I was young and naive."

He returned the hug back and let the tears fall. Damnation. No woman had ever made him cry! But here he was. Hugging the very reason behind the hot streaming tears.

"We were both impulsive, Em."

"Yes, we certainly were."

They held each other for a little bit. Until he finally calmed down. He managed to wipe away the tears before she saw them. If Em had ideas he shed those, he was going to deny it.

"Can we put this behind us?" Em asked him.

"Are you truly over him?"

She looked away, "My heart is not ready just yet. But I have made up my mind. I shall go away and forget him. With luck, I may be truly over him."

"That is good enough for me. Now that he is married, he shall not be bothering you anymore, I hope. Less competition for me then."

"Less competition against what?"

"You of course!" He grinned.

"I did not know such competition existed."

"Oh, well not anymore. I am your only suitor now."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.6K 1.6K 23
"I don't have a heart . " he said leaning away from her touch . her light was too overwhelming for the darkness inside his very soul . he was the tr...
1.4K 115 20
"They think I am just some princess they can control. That they can just order me what to do and have it done! I'm not a servant." Princess Emmalyne...
4.4K 716 39
**THE PRINCESS SERIES is part of the GOLDEN UNIVERSE, and considered a sequel to THE GOLDEN QUEEN/A BRAZEN LOVE** ♦YOU MUST HAVE READ THE GOLDEN UNIV...
1.6K 498 29
Iris Mays knew being accepted to a prestigious high school as a lower class citizen would have it's ups and downs. But she didn't know one of those...