The Haunted Bhangarh Fort- Ra...

Von mansi84pattni

(Undergoing heavy editing.) You are on a tour to the most beautiful state of India- Rajasthan. Pretty excited... Mehr

CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48

CHAPTER 7

35.7K 655 171
Von mansi84pattni

"It's grotesque," she said.
"What is?" I asked, concerned.
"Maybe the fact that the circle of life and death revolves around responsibilities we strive to complete."
"Why is that?"
"Inner peace. It makes it difficult to find inner peace."

Nandini-

We were gathered around the table enjoying- maybe enjoying, our first meal together.
Well, I certainly was. It was a cheese burst pizza topped with excessive jalapeños and vegetables. I felt elated as I dived into my first bite. My eyes shut in anticipation as I licked the melted cheese about to drip from my lips. Heaven. The only place where my subconscious and I agreed heartily.

My eyes didn't leave my food unless I wanted another seasoning of chilli flakes or oregano.
With my last bite, I leaned back on the chair with a smile of contentment. The only thing I loved about this trip.
Now I had time to focus on other things.
Opposite to me, I noticed a frowning Nikhil leaving his food untouched.
He looked up at me and smiled weakly.
I raised my eyebrows.

"Why aren't you eating?"

He only looked even more embarrassed.
His mom responded, "let him be, I'm tired of his antics. Never eats anything that's available. Always picky about his food." She shoved him, "think about the people who are not even blessed with one morsel of food. Here you are, wasting it all the time, basking in your privilege." Nikhil rolled his eyes enough for his mother to not notice.

Nicki was stuffing her mouth without a care in the world.
She looked at him, and then his plate, "you mind?" She paused for his response, but before he could she scoffed, "of course you don't." And picked two slices from his plate.

------

The night dawned slowly and the stars glimmered, twinkling in glee, shimmering its light; happy about being visible in less pollution.

My satisfaction had washed off the moment I noticed Nikhil hadn't touched a morsel and went back to his room hungry, following an angry mother.

I slipped off my clothes and pulled on a soft, comfortable and silky blue night suit. Quickly buttoning my shirt up I left my room saying I'm going downstairs for a walk with my mother's voice fading away telling me to be careful in a rush or processing what I said.

I opened my palm to reveal a few crumbled chunks of money. Is it worth it? Shut up, he hasn't eaten, stop being so selfish all the time!

I looked back to a a sprinting Sagar shouting, "I'll come with you too."
Great.
Oh wait, actually great! I now had a plan.

I knocked on Nikhil's door. His mother received it.
"Hello Mrs. Rathod. I was wondering if Nikki and I could take a refreshing stroll in the garden after eating so much."

She gave returned a warm smile, still in her pista green salwar suit and hair plaited neatly.
"Of course honey! That's a good idea. Helps in easy digestion."

I smiled back.
"Nikki, your friend has come for you sweetie!"

She ran out of the room, obviously expecting Sagar and her smile faded into a disappointing mere curl of lips.

"Bring Nikhil along," I whispered curtly.
She disappeared into the room and dragged a struggling Nikhil trying to button his night dress out. Eyebrows furrowed and focussed on the top last buttons of his shirt he trained his eyes at the door and gaped in shock.
I suppressed a giggle.
"Sagar wanted company," I defended.

"Sure," he gave a warm smile.

As we walked out of the door, as I expected, Nikki ran towards Sagar and Sagar walked away with Nikki leaving the two of us alone.

"Guess they found their company." He said nervously.
I didn't know what to say.
"Maybe I'll go back to the room now, let me know if I can do anything to help. Good night."

My heart panicked a little, "no stop!" I said hurriedly.
He stopped in his tracks.

"Follow me, I guess."

"Can I not walk along?"

I rolled my eyes, "of course."

His lips parted to reveal a lopsided grin as he accompanied me excitedly.
I stood in front of the reception counter which was full of snacks and goodies for tourists to carry along for their trips throughout the city.

I pointed at a cup of instant noodles.
"I'd like to have that, please."
And then my eyes trained towards a bar of my favourite chocolate.
Control, control, control-
"Uh, and that bar of chocolate too."

He picked the items and placed them on the counter with a formal smile, clearly annoyed for bothering him when everything was packing up.
"That'll be fifty," he said. His voice gruff with a hint of fatigue. His hair was slicked back and he was wearing a suit. But his royal moustache and ear studs gave away an Indian vibe.
I smiled and thanked him leaving hurriedly with Nikhil behind my back.

Grabbing a protesting Sagar with one hand, managing the snacks in another, I dragged him to the pantry with me along with a snickering Nikhil and whining Nikki following.

"I wanted a cup of hot water, please?"

A man wearing a stained white Kurta along with a Dhoti turned around and stared at me in disbelief. I instantly took a step backwards.
"The pantry is shut," he said in his traditional, strong accent.

"Sir," I took a step forward and said softly.

He certainly looked startled at the sudden respectful adressal.
"My little brother cannot stop coughing. It's too late to fetch for medicines, we don't know the place well. We thought a cup of hot water would sooth his throat down."

His eyes trained down towards the cup and bar of chocolate in my hand. And he looked up expecting an answer with a raised eyebrow.

"Oh this," I laughed nervously.
"Th-this is for tomorrow's trip!"

I smacked my brother's back and he started coughing incessantly.
I cringed. He's overacting so much, oh my God, we're going to die.

The man's eyes softened and he hurried to the kitchen.

I whispered with gritted teeth, "you're a horrible actor."

"Thank God that I took the cue and acted for you, you ungrateful monkey."

I was about to give him a nice flick on his head but I heard footsteps.

He handed the cup to my brother.
"Take little boy, drink this. You will feel better. You want pinch of turmeric?"
He said in his slightly broken English. Granted articles were not much of use in Indian languages.

"No no!" I fumbled hurriedly. "He's allergic to turmeric. Thank you so much sir, you're too kind. I'm sorry for disturbing you during such a late hour."

He smiled and his long curled moustache curved up.
"It's no problem. Take care of your brother."

"I shall. Thank you again!"

With that we ran away.

"Return the cup in the morning!" I heard his fading voice.

"I will," I said as I kept running.

Snatching the cup from my brother and shoving him away with Nikki, I poured the water in the noodles, stirred it and covered it with a lid.

I sat on one of the swings in the garden, Nikhil followed.
"You're still hungry?" He asked with a sheepish smile.
"This is for you," I said curtly.
His expression changed from amused to befuddled in a matter of seconds.

"You.. You did all of that for me?"

"Quit flattering yourself. Your mom was mad. She's a nice woman. I didn't want her to go to bed angry, knowing you haven't eaten."
I stared at the grass, unable to look at him. But I knew his gaze was intense. Bearing into my face expecting me to look at him.
We sat like that for a few minutes.
I opened the cup and checked. The noodles were ready.
Picking the folded fork out, I erected it and stuck it in the noodles.

I extended my arm out towards him.
"Here, it's ready."

He couldn't contain his grin. The dimple deepened again.
"Thank you, Nandini. I was honestly starving."

I gave him a small, embarrassed smile and tore open the wrapper on my bar of chocolate to keep myself busy.

"You seem to love chocolate."

"I do."

"Surprising."

"Why?"

"Thought you munched on raw coffee."

I stared at him confused.

"Because it's biffer," he said, his mouth stuffed with food and gave a sloppy, chubby smile.

I couldn't help but chuckle. Idiot.

"Why don't you like pizza?" I asked disappointed.

He almost choked on his food.

"Eat slowly, I only had one cup of water."

He contained his laughter with a stuffed mouth.

"Well?"

"I don't know how to explain. But I can't stand the taste of polished flour, you know?"

"Noodles are made of polished flour, I see you stuffing yourself up."

He opened his mouth and closed it again.
"Well, yes," he paused. "I was starving, and you got it for me and plus it wasn't like a bready pizza, so this was a favourable option."

I nodded understandably.

"Why did you care about getting me food?"

"Humanity."

"I see, you've been quite a human."

It was my turn to choke but I didn't, instead I snapped my head at him with a death glare.

His eyes widened and he started fumbling, "I mean, you know. That was very sweet. Like the one you're eating. It's nice. We need more chocolates like you. Noodles. People like you. Sorry. I'll eat."

I threw my head back and started laughing uncontrollably. That was the most adorable thing today.
By the time I was back to my senses I noticed him looking at me with a joyous glint in his eyes.

I took a deep breath and straightened my posture.

"Um. Are you done?"

"Hm?"

"The noodles?"

"Oh, yeah. Yes. One last spoonful."

He gulped it down quickly.

----------

We started walking back to our rooms.

"Hey Nandini?"

"Yes?"

"Thank you."

"It's not a problem, really. This is like the thousandth time." I smiled.

"I'll tell my mom how it's the second time you helped me."

"No! Don't tell her."

"Why? I thought you did this because you didn't want my mother to be angry? How else will she not go to bed angry?"

My breath hitched. Crap.

"Good night, Nikhil."

I said and shut the door on his face.

Author's note:
And there's, hopefully, a longer chapter! Thank you for sticking by!
Lovely love,
Mansi.

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

1.8M 97.2K 74
Swallow is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon purchase. When Mildr...