Aurora [H.S AU]

By writhali

[COMPLETED] "And as for owning you, princess" He pauses, hissing between his teeth. "When I decide you're min... More

Warnings
Characters and Mood Boards
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
AUTHOR'S NOTE
DUSK - TEASER

Chapter 10

18.3K 484 366
By writhali

2019, September 11h - wednesday | 2pm

Aster's P.O.V:

If I wasn't waking up this late in the middle of the week, I would never believe last night - this morning? - actually happened. I mean, I'm still having some hard time to even think about it.

Did we actually kissed?

Maybe I was just hallucinating from, you know, sleep deprivation.

It just don't seem quite possible that Harry and I would do it. Not nowadays, anyway. We cannot stand each other, so why the fuck kiss? It was so weird, in the moment he touched the bunny charm on my wrist, it was like we were teleported to 9 years ago. Seriously, I even felt like I was 15 again and was having my first kiss, it was that good. I mean, it was even better, considering it got a lot steamier than the other time we've kissed.

But now, now I have no idea what should I do about it. I mean, yeah, Harry was being nice to me before it happened, we even got to have a normal, civil conversation like the two adults we are, but I haven't forgot the mean things he said to me just a little earlier. He was just so cruel, and touched such a sore spore, and it was totally uncalled for.

I know I'm not the same Aster he met twenty and something years ago - I know that I've changed after we left New York and never came back to see me, but it's not like I've turned to a completely different person. I've just grown up. I've matured, turned into a woman. Yes, we did grow up together and for a period of time, Harry was the person who best knew me, but I was a child, then a teenager, just as he was too.

During the past 9 years, we turned to adults, living different experiences that molded us to what we are today. I don't know what Harry has been through ever since he left New York, and he definitely doesn't the experiences I had over the past 9 years. I'm sure that if he did, he would never call me uptight, like ever again. I can only imagine what it would've been like if Harry was around when I went to college, and even though I have no idea if he is into that kind of stuff, I'm pretty sure we would have a great time together.

But I promised myself I would leave that part of me behind, along with the cigarettes, the parties, the liquor. The moment I left college and started my adult life in S&L, I've promised I would never do that again. I'm an adult now, a business woman, and I should act like one. I need to be collected, respectful, tough and that's exactly what I'm doing. Can't say that that part of me is dead, but it sure is locked deep inside of me and it won't come out to play any time soon.

My career is my main focus. My only objective. And while I don't prove myself worthy of everything I'm going to inherit someday, I won't let myself fall down to that rabbit hole again.

It doesn't matter how good it was.

Albeit, I have to say I'm definitely curious to know what Harry would have to say about it... Would he be surprised? I bet he would. To see what the corporate robot is really like.

Don't be so idiot, Aster. The rational part of myself laughs in my mind. He would probably find something rude and diminishing to say.

Sighing, I roll over the bed, finally crawling myself out and stretching my back. Tate is still full asleep by my side, as he usually does, and I tiptoe to the closet attached to my room. It's almost 2:30pm and I know I will have a full day.

Enough of fantasizing, reality is calling.

***

"Good afternoon, Ms. Aster" Mrs. Davis throws me a bright smile as soon as I step out of the elevator, and I see with the corner of my eyes when Dennis and Stephanie straightens their postures, both putting their phones down in record time. "Is everything OK?"

They were probably thinking I wasn't going to show up at all today.

"Good afternoon. Everything is fine, I had a few things to do this morning." I lie through my teeth "Dennis, Stephanie, I want to see you both in my office in 40 minutes." I need to bite back a smile when I see the horror expressions on their faces while I pass through them and enter my office.

I won't lie - I kinda love to see how worked up I can have those two with a simple sentence. I don't want them to be scared of me, it's not that, but I think it's good when people that are under you, hierarchically speaking, get nervous about seeing you - it shows who have the control over the situation, and I would rather it'd be me surprising them, then the other way around.

The smile fades from my lips in the moment I step inside of my office. I was hoping to have at least a few minutes by myself before bumping into Harry again, but he is already here. I'm kinda nervous on how to act around him - I mean, I'm totally in favor of pretending this morning has never happened, but I have no idea how he is going to act. What if he uses it in his favor, to taunt me even more? What if he holds the fact that I kissed him against me?

Fuck, I shouldn't have done that.

I blame the sleep deprivation. If I wasn't so tired, I wouldn't let my guard down to the point of letting my instincts and that other part of me taking control of myself. Because at the end of the day, I know I was the one to start everything. I was the one who initiated the kiss.

He is not sitting behind the big, wooden table as he would normally be. Instead, he is sitting on the white armchair, the same one he was yesterday when I first got here, and he ignores my presence completely. He is using big headphones, the music blaring so loud it's leaking a bit, but I don't recognize what he is listening to, and he seems to be deep in thought, his back curved, chin in his hand, elbow in his lap, eyes looking down, frowning. 

Today he is not wearing one of those hideous suits he seems to like so much. Instead, he is rocking an outfit that my grandfather would envy. Colored striped knitted vest, black and white striped dress shirt underneath, large grey pants and what I think are black Vans shoes. What is up with his wardrobe?

I don't know what pisses me off the most - the fact he is looking like a fucking grandfather or that he pulls it off perfectly, looking as handsome as always and somehow making this absurd outfit look so great. From the ludicrous amount of rings he uses on his fingers, with the cocky H and S on his left hand to the silly painted nails, everything he wears displays his personality, the contrast of old-fashioned clothes with flashy accessories, colored nails with black tattoos, a mix of delicate and rough.

I'm pulled out of my own rambling mind when Harry looks up, his eyes locking on mine and making my heart jump immediately. I open my mouth to say something, but he just gives me short nod, barely acknowledging my presence before he looks down again, completely unfazed, eyes back to the hand on his lap, his head moving in the same slow, rhythmic beat I can hear leaking from his headphones. Snapping out of my contemplative state, I shake my head, quickly crossing the office and going behind my desk, the click of my heels against the hardwood floors pulling me back to reality.

What the fuck is wrong with me? Since when do I get this distracted at work? Having Harry around has done nothing but bug me, and I would have to be a fucking idiot to let someone like him take my concentration away. That kiss was a fucking mistake that won't happen again, end of the story.

Start working, Aster.

My inbox is filled with unread emails, so as soon as my eyes falls over the clock and I realize it's almost 4 in the afternoon, my heart races inside of my chest for a totally different reason - I'm screwed. I hate to admit that Harry's arrival to S&L is already starting to make sense, the number of new client's contracts almost doubled when compared to the previous month, which is great for our net cash but also means a lot more work for me and my team. But I'm not complaining.

I'm not afraid of work.

I'm always ready for more.

As I usually do when there's just so much to be done it's almost impossible to decide from where to start, I start listing everything that has to be done, along with the deadlines. There are two litigations I really need to go over and analyze the deal our senior attorneys have figured out, to see if it's something S&L would do, and if not, give them enough material and insights to come up with another solution. Besides Dennis and Stephanie, who helps me with the daily tasks and do most of the operational work, I also have three senior attorneys on the team, who are the responsible for lawsuits, new deals and all the legal issues we might have. My job is to supervise everything, make sure things are being done according to S&L best interests and, if not, showing the way of how to do it better.

Besides these two litigation I really need to give my attention to, I also need Dennis and Stephanie to help me with 5 new contracts, due tomorrow morning - a.k.a today. Problem is, it's past 4 and they leave at 6pm. There's no way they will be able to get everything done by today, so I will have to do it myself after they're gone.

I'm really screwed.

Another sigh and I start typing the list of things I need Dennis and Stephanie to do, so I can send them by email and use them as much as I can before it's their time to leave.

"'Cause I will be your honey bee" Harry's voice blares suddenly, making me jump on my seat and accidentally hit send before the email it's done. I look up,my mouth slack open, just in time to see Harry grabbing two pens from over the center desk and start hitting them rhythmically over the wood surface, still singing. "Open up your fruit cake, where the fruit is as sweet as can be..."

The blood boils in my veins immediately - could he be more disrespectful? This is not the time, or the place, to start this little personal performance. He is singing out loud, pens and feet thumping, as if he was in his own fucking room.

I don't even think twice before I'm standing up and circling my desk, my heels clicking loud, but not as loud as him. When I'm close enough, I grab the headphones and pull them from his head, the music blaring so loud from the speakers I'm actually surprised Harry hasn't gone completely deaf by now. He widens his eyes open, the cheeky grin playing on his lips getting bigger and provocative.

"Can I help you?" He asks nonchalantly.

"Do I even need to say something?" I roll my eyes "Keep it down, please."

"Why?" He raises his eyebrows, totally unfazed.

"Because I need to concentrate. This is not the time, or the place, for your little performance. Stop it." I try to sound nice, or as nice as I can be in a situation like that.

Harry rolls his eyes, reaching for the phone on his pocket and closing the music app, and I give his headphones back. "I have a question for you." He says casually.

"What?"

"Are you always a pain in the arse or do you save it especially for me?" He grins, his tone cool.

"You know, I could ask you the same thing." I don't cave. If he thinks he is going to get under my skin like he did yesterday, to touch on my sore spot again, he is vastly mistaken. I'm not in the mood for his games today.

Going back to my desk, I turn my attention to my laptop again just in time to see there are two new emails with urgent in the subject. I can't hold a sigh, shaking my head and momentarily pressing my temples and trying to focus back on my work. I should've not have come here last night. I should've stayed in bed trying to sleep. This is all Harry's fault -- if it wasn't for his condescending comments, I would not have lost sleep thinking about it, and consequently I would've kept my usual routine and would not have this many things to do today.

"Do you regret giving me a ride this morning?" Harry's voice startles me and I almost jump in my seat when I realize he just sat over my desk. Is he being serious? Like, does he has the same insecurities I ha--

Nevermind. I can see in his eyes - this is a joke for him.

"I regret many things in my life, Harry." I close my eyes, pressing the bridge of my nose between my fingers "Having this conversation is on the top of the list, though. Go sit over there."

"Oh, don't be like that, Honeycup." His cheeky grin goes wider, that sly look never leaving his face. "I know you would rather had ride me, but you know, we can always make up for that later--."

That's it, I'm not having it anymore. I've been trying to be nice and to build some kind of relationship with him, and deep down I actually believed we could put the... Incident of this morning aside and act like adults, but if he won't cooperate, neither will I.

"Ha-ha, you wish, Styles." I roll my eyes, ignoring how fast my heart is racing inside of my chest. I would rather die then show any more weakness in front of him, considering he turns everything to a joke, then uses it against me.

If he thinks I'm an uptight, corporate bitch, that's exactly how I'll act around him from now on. No more trying to be nice, no more trying to be friendly. It's time to admit to myself that he is an asshole and the version of him that I used to adore when I was younger, is long gone now. I don't know what have I done for him to be such a jerk with me, but you know what? I'm tired of trying to figure him out.

Harry moves, standing up from my desk, eyes pinned on mine. He is frowning and I watch, almost in slow motion, as he darts his tongue out to lick his plump lips, probably preparing a hell of a comeback for me. 

However, before I'm blessed with what I'm sure would be another rude and condescending sexual remark from him, there's a knock on the door, followed by the sound of someone stepping in.

"Aster?" Stephanie's voice fills the room and both Harry and I snap our face towards her. She is standing awkwardly in front of the door, holding a pink notebook and a pen, Dennis right by her side with empty hands "Did you wanted to see us?"

"Yeah, sure." I nod, completely ignoring Harry. "Please, sit here, we have a few new contracts that I really need your help with today."

Stephanie and Dennis crosses the room, and I can't help but notice her eyes are glued to Harry. He is still half sitting over my desk, but now his attention is completely focused on the two interns, as if they're two brand new toys for him to play with.

"Oh, hello" Harry greets them, a wide grin cracking up on his lips, a complete change on his demeanor. "How are you?"

"Hey, I'm fine." Stephanie smiles, at the same time Dennis extends his hand for Harry with an efficient how are you?

"Would you lads like some coffee?" Harry offers, all smiles and good manners, finally standing up from my desk while Stephanie and Dennis sits on the chairs across my table, both glaring at me quickly before looking back at Harry.

"Yeah, it would be great" Stephanie is the first to answer, a flirty smile playing on her lips.

"For me too." Dennis adds.

"Excellent. Honeycup, dear?" Harry raises his eyebrows for me, and my hand closes to a fist unintendedly when he calls me Honeycup in front of my interns. "How do you like your coffee?"

What is up with this little act he is playing? He is never this friendly with me, so why be so pleasant and nice all out of the sudden?

"Clock is ticking, Honeycup" He sing-songs, and I realize I've been staring at him with my eyebrows frowning.

"Black. No sugar."

Harry sucks his under lip inside of his mouth, as if trying to keep himself from saying something. He turns on the heels of his shoes, going to the door and tucking his head outside. "Mrs. Davis, would you be a dear and provides us some coffee? Four mugs, please. Thank you, honey." He gets back to the room, winking towards me and the interns and goes sit behind his desk again.

"Thank you, Mr. Styles." Stephanie smiles, and I notice the slightly flirting tone barely disguised on her voice.

Harry just looks at her, winking and smiling, that bullshit dimple sinking on his cheeks, looking gorgeous as ever. I need to really concentrate not to roll my eyes, turning my attention back to Dennis and Stephanie, who now has her cheeks tinted red.

"So... I know it's a little late, but I have some contracts I really need your help to get done today. I've sent all the information you need on your email, and I would really appreciate you two give your best to get the most possible done before you leave."

"What's the due date?" Dennis asks, raising his eyebrows.

"Today" I sigh. "But don't worry, I just need you to do as much as possible till 6pm, then I'll assume and do the rest."

"Well" Stephanie straightens her back on the chair "I don't have plans today, so I can stay after 6 if you need me to."

"Yeah, I mean..." Dennis frowns "I kinda have a date, but I'm not very in the mood for it, so I could totally like, reschedule that and stay here."

"Really? Would you do that?"

"Sure." Stephanie smiles "I mean, Dennis here must really not like the girl he has a date with, but I'm totally free." She raises her voice a bit, and I notice when she gives Harry the side-eye.

Oh. I get it now.

Poor girl.

She thinks that by staying late to help me she would win some extra points with Harry. Little does she know that it will actually have the opposite outcome - he will start calling her corporate robot and uptight and the one who has no friends. And I'm pretty sure Dennis only offered himself to stay too because he didn't want to look bad when compared to Stephanie.

Well, it's a win-win for me.

"Great! Thank you so much, guys." I give them both a rare smile, something I don't do very often, and they both seem to be taken aback. "Here, let me show you what we need to get done."

I turn the screen of my MacBook towards them, opening the files and starting to explain the details of what they're going to do. As I'm passing through the third contract, there's a knock on the door.

"Coffee is here!" Harry announces, opening the door and grabbing the trail from Mrs. Davis hands "Thank you very much, dear." He gives her a bright smile before turning on the heels of his shoes and walking towards my desk.

"Thank you, Mr. Styles." Stephanie's voice sounds breathy as she grabs the mug he is offering her, and I watch as Harry brushes his fingers on her purposefully, that charming smile never leaving his face.

What a jerk.

"Thank you." Dennis smiles, also accepting the coffee, but there's no fingers brushing from Harry's end this time.

Then, Harry turns his face to me, the mischievous smile playing on his lips making me squint my eyes suspiciously. He is up to something, and I'm sure it's definitely no good.

"Here's your coffee, Honeycup" He announces, placing the cup over the desk right in front of me. Then, he leans his chest a bit further, kind of blocking Stephanie and Dennis from my sight, his face getting really close to mine. I look away immediately, snapping my head to the other side, my breath catching up on my chest.

His lips brushes against my left ear and I need all of my self control not to squirm, and then he rasps "Hot and bitter, just like you." and straightening his back before walking away and back to his desk.

I feel my cheeks getting red as I look back to Stephanie and Dennis, both of them looking at me with a puzzled expression on their faces. I clean my throat, taking a sip from my coffee and again wearing the best poker face I can manage - I've noticed that ever since Harry started working here, I've been using my abilities to keep a neutral face a lot more frequently.

Pretending we haven't just been interrupted, I keep explaining Dennis and Stephanie everything they need to do, Dennis nodding with his head so much he is looking like one of those little ornament puppies that has their heads loose, Stephanie writing everything down systematically.

"I'm here if you have any doubts" I tell them after going through everything. "Thank you again."

"Of course!" Dennis smiles and follows Stephanie out of the room.

Turning my attention back to my laptop, I start to type immediately, opening yet another document that needs my attention, but before I can start, the loud buzzing leaking from Harry's headphone starts again.

Great.

This is going to be a long day. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Seven By She

Fanfiction

157K 5.4K 96
When Lily's university financial scholarship is revoked she explores a new avenue for income. A mutual friend introduces her to a darker underbelly...
9.6K 229 14
Harmony, a pop & rap troll, who specialises in low harmonisation, she loved to sing but lost her confidence due to being pestered because of her unna...
1M 64.7K 119
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
880K 25.5K 43
In which Harry attempts to take advantage of a sweet, innocent girl and is shocked to find out she is the complete opposite. Cover by @-PAPAYA Starte...