Haven Harbor • a.i. •

By cliffordpunkrock

"Being in love with Carter was the most beautiful and horrible thing at the same time; because I knew if I to... More

Chapter One
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100

Chapter Two

1.8K 54 8
By cliffordpunkrock

The wind whipped my face making my cheeks pink. My hair flew behind me like a cape and a smile graced my face.

"You've got this Car!" I heard my father shout behind me and I smiled wider.

The plastic pedals beneath my feet squeaked as I pushed them, my hands griped tightly to the handle bars.

I made a risky move and decided to turn around in a circle, raising a hand to wave at my father as I did so. My ignorance of bike riding led me to know nothing about the consequences.

"Don't let go Car!" He yelled but he was too late. My small body hit the concrete of the aquarium parking lot with a thud.

I didn't realise what had happened but out of my shock tears gathered in my eyes and began to flow down my cheeks.

I looked in the direction of my father but he was already in front of me, crouched on his knees and beginning to pick me up.

"It's okay baby. Shh...sweetheart don't cry. You did great for your first bike ride. I'm proud of you."

I sniffled and gasped for air as I tried to stop crying.

"I-I fe-el." I managed to say.

"Everyone falls the first time they ride a bike but they pick themselves back up and keep riding. Don't give up just because you fall." He said stroking my cheeks with his tan fingers.

His thin framed glasses were sliding down the bridge of his nose, the sun reflecting off the rims.

"Ok d-daddy." I said again and he gave me a tight hug.

"Now next time, keep your hands on the handle ok?" He poked my cheeks.

I giggled and he cradled me against him in one arm while he pushed the bike back to our house with the other.

"Handle bars never let go for anyone." He said quietly while I was still in a fit of giggles, not understanding what that meant.

-

"BEEP BEEP BEEP"

I slammed my hand down on the alarm clock next to me, silencing the obnoxious noise that abruptly woke me up from my dream.

"How rude." I grumbled at the alarm as I forcibly removed myself from my bed.

I fumbled around in the dark until I found the light switch, the sudden brightness causing me to squint my eyes.

I wasn't fully awake. Part of me wanted to crawl back in bed and dream more about my dad. That seemed to be the only place I could see him. But I knew I couldn't.

I sighed instead and stumbled my way to my closet to yank a navy blue t-shirt that had "Chase Marina Tours" printed across the top in white letters.

I took a pair of ripped shorts and threw on the clothes. I laced my old, dirty, black and white converse on my feet and then opened my bedroom door, heading to the bathroom.

After brushing my hair and teeth I took the stairs down to the kitchen, pouring water into the coffee maker and pressing the heat button before scaling the steps back up.

I reached the white wooden door to Enders room and knocked.

I got no response from the other side of the door and sighed.

I knew he would be difficult to wake this morning. After all of his excitement and hard work yesterday he was exhausted.

I opened the door and flipped on the lights, his arm flying over his eyes to block the brightness.

"End. Time to wake up." I said walking over to his curled up body.

"I can't want to." He mumbled and I chuckled.

"Sorry bro. I wish we could sleep in but we have work to do." I shook his shoulder.

"No." He pouted and flipped over in the covers.

"Fine then." I smirked. I placed a hand on each side of him, running my fingers down his sides.

"No!" He squealed as I tickled him.

I laughed as he flipped around trying to get away. He rolled to the side and off the bed.

"I'm up, I'm up!" He yelled, laughing.

"Get dressed or the tickle monster will make a return." I threatened with a smile on my face.

His eyes widened and he ran to the bathroom not wanting to get tickle attacked again.

I chuckled as I headed back downstairs to the kitchen.

I grabbed the pancake mix from the cabinet and poured it into a mixing bowl, adding eggs and milk.

By the time Ender came downstairs, the pancakes were just coming out of the pan.
I placed the plate in front of him and we ate our breakfast quickly.

I hopped off of my chair and took my plate to the sink while Ender did the same.

"Your turn to do dishes." I reminded him and he whined.

"Aww." he pouted but grabbed the soap anyway.

I left him to do his chore while I went to the shop.

I turned on the lights and the computer, letting the electric buzz fill the room.

I opened the front door to let the air into the room.

"Radar looks clean today." Ender said as he walked into the front room of the shop where I sat at the front desk computer.

"Awesome." I chimed.

"Hey Car. Do you think we'll see Ashton and his friends today?" Ender asked behind me.

"Um, I don't think so? They don't have a tour booked." I informed him and I could see the frown on his face.

"Oh, ok." He walked off, his shoulders stooped.

I turned away from his moping figure and went back to the logging sheet.

I hoped that this would be the summer that Ender would make some friends. He needed more social interaction than just spending time with his sister all day.

A jingle of the bell above the door signalled the arrival of our first customer and I lifted my head up, replacing my frown with a friendly smile.

-

"Ugh." I grunted as I tied the boat to wooden post. I yanked hard on the rope and then gave Ender a thumbs up to signal we were good.

He gave me thumbs up back and then turned the motor off.

The group of three middle aged couples made their way off the boat and I led them to the shop so they could change and pay, making small talk as we went.

As they went to the back to change, I finished filling out the information for their bill.

As I typed in the date the front door burst open and Ender burst through, followed by four teenage boys walking in casually after him.

"Car, can I go to the skate park with Ashton? He said I could go!" Ender asked excitedly.

"Hey." Ashton gave me a smile.

"Um Ender, we have two more tours today." I reminded him and his face fell.

"Please Car please." He begged.

A man from the group walked up to the desk.

I sighed. "End, just hold on okay?"

I smiled at the man as he handed me his credit card and I swiped, letting him sign the receipt.

All the while the boys just stood there, Ender with a puppy dog look in his eyes.

"Have a lovely rest of your day." I said to the couples as they left.

I turned to Ender as soon as the door closed.

"Car, please!" He pleaded.

I looked to Ashton and he gave me an apologetic smile.

"I can cover the last two tours by myself. You can go if it's really alright with them." I sighed.

"It's all good." Ashton smiled.

"Yes!" Ender ran over and hugged me. "I'm going to get my skateboard!" He said excitedly before running to the house.

I shook my head after him.

"Sorry about this." Ashton said apologetically.

"It's fine." I admitted. "I'm sorry about him. I'm sure you don't want to spend your day with a ten year old."

"No really it's cool." Ashton smiled. "I like talking with him."

"You don't have to lie." I half laughed.

"I'm not, believe me." He flashed his grin again. "And I promise we'll take good care of him."

"Thanks." I smiled back at him.

Seconds later Ender rushed back in the room, skateboard in hand.

"Ready!" he announced.

"You're not leaving here without your helmet." I said firmly.

"But-" he began.

"No buts. Get your helmet or you can't go." I crossed my arms.

"Fine." He stomped out, returning moments later with his helmet on his head.

"Thank you." I patted his head. "Alright, be good. Don't give them any trouble." I leaned down and kissed his cheek. "Be safe."

He grinned at the boys and ran out of the shop shouting "race ya" , Luke, Calum and Michael on his heels. I could hear their laughter already.

"Is there a time he should be back?" Ashton asked.

"8:00 is fine." I answered."Just please take care of him..." I said in all seriousness. "I'm trusting my little brother with...and no offence...but four strangers."

"I completely understand how you must feel right now. I believe I would feel the same way if I was you." He nodded at me.

"Ashton come on!" Ender ran back in, poking his head through the door.

"Alright, I'm coming!" Ashton turned back at him with a lopsided grin.

"Have fun." I smiled nervously.

"We will." He gave me a wave goodbye and went out the door, chasing the guys up the docks towards the skate park.

I sighed as I watched them go. I didn't know if I had really just made a wise decision. I'm trusting four teenage boys that I've only met once with my ten year old brother.

I stood at the front door and watched them go until they disappeared from sight. When I could no longer see them I turned away and went back inside, waiting for the next tour group to arrive.

-

Seagulls flocked around the end of the pier as I drove in the last boat. The sunset on the horizon cast an orange glow over the marina.

I threw the rope over the side of the boat, tying it to the post and pulling hard.

The tour group of seven hoped off board and I led them down to the shop where they could change and pay.

"Thanks." I smiled at them as they left.

I checked the time on my watch and it said 6:30. Ender should be home in an hour and a half. Normally i'd have him turn off the boat and clean up while I closed the shop and went to cook dinner but since he wasn't here it was all on me.

I sighed and clapped my hands together before walking back out to the boat. I climbed on board and began turning off lights, switching off motors, taking out the trash and mopping the deck.

After the boat was cleaned I checked my watch again. 7:30 appeared in bright letters in the surrounding darkness. As I walked up to the shop I could see someone leaning against the front wall.

The light caught the persons face for a moment and I smiled when I saw who it was.

"Hey Ari!"I called.

The head that was staring down at a phone looked up at me.

It was my best friend of 18 years. Aria and I had known each other since the day I was born  and we had been inseparable ever since.

"Hey doll!" She called back at me. "Wheres End?"

"He's out with some friends." I shrugged.

"What brings you here?" I finally walked up to where she was standing and gave her a hug.

"I just wanted to see you. Oh and i'm bringing you your mail." She handed me a thick stack of envelopes, all bills probably.

Aria's dad was the owner of the town's post office so she would drop off my mail whenever she came by.

"Thanks." I opened the door letting us both into the shop. She sat down at the computer while I plopped the stack mail of the desk.

"How's business?" She asked.

"Good. We've had a busy couple of days so thats a great start to the season." I leaned against the counter.

"That great. I know last season was a real struggle. Im glad thing are looking up." She said, looking at me with a sincere expression.

A moment of comfortable silence passed between us.

"So...how would you feel about going to a party this weekend?" Ari said, breaking the silence.

My eyes widened in shock. "Ari you can't be serious?"

"Why not. I mean come on Carter you can't avoid the rest of the world forever. Have some fun." She begged.

"I have a business and a brother to take care of, I can't." I defended myself.

"I can have my parents watch Ender, you know they love him. And we only have to go for a few hours and if you hate it we can leave. I just don't want you to miss out on having a childhood." She pointed out.

"Okay maybe you have a point. I'll think about it."

"Yay!" She jumped up, giving me a hug. "It's this Saturday!"

I shook my head as she sat back down, a smile gracing her face.

The sound of the bell jingling behind me caused us to draw our attention to the door.

Ender ran inside followed by the four teens.

"Hey Car!" Ender ran up to me, throwing his skate board on the ground and flinging off his helmet before hugging me.

"Hey End, how was the skate park?" I ruffled his hair.

"It was fun! Ashton taught me some new tricks and Michael bought me ice-cream!" He said smiling widely, I could see the little traces of the chocolate ice-cream on the corner of his mouth.

"Wait- these are his friends?" Ari said next to me, her face shocked. "When you said he was hanging out with friends I thought you meant someone his age, not some teenagers! How could you possibly think that was a good idea?"

"Ari it's fine. I trust them." I said, looking at Ashton, who had a small smile on his face.

"This is my friend Ari." I said introducing her to the boys. "Ari this is Ashton, Michael, Calum, and Luke."

"Well, Car i'm going to go. I'll call you later doll. Bye End." She said, kissing Ender on the cheek and walking out the back door.

"Whoa mate. She's hot." I heard Michael whisper to Calum and I turned around crossing my arms.

"She's also engaged so back off." I snipped at him.

"Damn." He frowned.

I rolled my eyes.

"Anyways, well i'm glad you had fun." I smiled.

"Yea. It was really fun." Ashton returned my smile.

"Carter, Ashton said they're going to see a movie this Saturday night, do you think I could go with them?" Ender asked, giving me his puppy dog face. "You could come with us!"

"You were actually going to be spending the night at Ari's parent's house. But i'll do anything to get out of going to that party so sure, why not?" I shrugged.

"Yay! Thank you Car!" Ender hugged me tight.

"No problem bro." I hugged him back.

"This is awesome, i'm glad you can come with us." Ashton said.

I flashed him a smile.

"Alright, well it's time for you to eat dinner and go to bed." I said to Ender who frowned.

"Ugh fine. See you later Ashton. Bye Michael, Calum and Luke!" Ender called as he ran out the back door to the house.

"Thank you guys for offering to hang out with him today. You have no idea how much that means to him, and me." I said, turning back to the four teenagers.

"It was no problem." Michael said, tapping Luke on the shoulder and nodding for them to head out.

"See you later!" They said as they left.

"Bye!" Calum said as he followed the two guys, a confused look on his face.

This left Ashton and I alone.

"Well, i'll see you saturday then?" Ashton asked.

"Yea. Shop closes at eight so anytime after that." I nodded.

"Cool. Goodnight Carter." He said, hesitating before walking back to the door.

"Night." I waved slightly.

I watched as the door closed behind him and stood there a moment before turning off the lights, locking the door and walking back to the house.

-

The week went on as scheduled. The weather stayed nice and clear for our tours and Ender behaved well with no attitude problems (after I told him we would not be going to the movies if he misbehaved).

Saturday morning I woke up at the crack of dawn to open shop and get ready. After I showered and dressed I went to Ender's room to wake him up.

"Is today the day we go to the movies?" He asked, his eyes fluttering open.

"Yes. But only if you get your sleepy head out of bed." I chuckled.

Ender flung the covers off his little body and ran to his closet to get dressed. I shook my head laughing and went down stairs to make breakfast.

"Pancakes or waffles?" I called up to him.

"Waffles!" He called back down to me. I nodded as I began heating up the waffle iron and mixing the batter. I heard the banging of doors closing and his footsteps running down the stairs before he sped to a stop in the kitchen.

"You all dressed?" I asked as I poured the batter into the iron.

"Yup!" He cheered.

"Really? Are you sure?" I asked without looking up and I waited for him to notice.

"Oh." He said quietly as he looked down to notice his mismatching shoes.

"Couldn't decide on what colour to wear today?" I smirked.

He turned around and bolted back up the stairs. In a few minutes he came back down just as I was placing his waffle on the plate.

"Oops." He gave me a small smile.

"Eat your breakfast kid we've got a big day ahead." I smiled, handing him a fork.

He dug into his breakfast, almost inhaling it before running to take his plate to the sink. He washed it and placed it on the dish rack.

"I'm going to go check the radar!" He called as he dashed out the front door.

"That kid." I sighed, chuckling to myself as i finished my breakfast.

I took my plate to the sink and washed it before walking out to the shop.

When I stepped in, Ender was already at the computer, his eyes entranced on the screen.

"How's it looking?" I asked, grabbing a broom from the cleaning closet.

"Fine for now, but I see a few signs of swells but they probably won't get here till mid next week." He informed me.

I proped the broom against the wall and leaned over his shoulder.

"Yea, theres a few spots there," I pointed to the screen. "We'll just have to keep watch.

I leaned back and took the broom again, sweeping out the shop. Ender turned on my computer for me and checked our bookings as I swept.

After sweeping I headed out to the boat, it white exterior gleamed in the morning sunlight.

I placed one hand on the side of the boat as I pushed myself up. I went around the boat, turning everything on and making sure it was ready.

I hoped off board and strolled back up the boardwalk to the shop. Our first tour had already arrived and Ender was showing them to the wet suits.

"Thank you, young man." One of the gentlemen in the group said. I smiled as Ender showed them to the changing rooms.

I grabbed four oxygen tanks in my hands and began to carry them down to the boat, going back and getting four more.

When I looked up after making my second trip, Ender was leading the group towards the boat.

As they got closer I could see a smile spreading across his face as he chatted with two of the men from the group.

"And that's Carter, she'll be your guide today!" Ender said as they approached the group.

"Hi, nice to meet you all. Are you ready to get started?" I heldout my hand, shaking everyone's hand with a firm grip before leading them onto the boat.

As they settled onto the deck I listened in on their conversations as I drove us out onto the open sea.

-

The day went smoothly.

As I drove the last ship in and Ender hopped overboard to tie up the boat to the docks.
I stood at the step of the boat, helping the group get off board.

"My my, the Halle is a beautiful ship." One of the men said, eyeing the silver letters printed on the side of the boat.

"Yes, yes she is." I smiled, making eye contact with Ender who gave me a smile that said we knew a secret that was shared only between us.

I let Ender check out the group at the shop as I turned off the boat.

I checked the time on my watch and it said 7:45.

Ender had not stopped talking about going to the movies today. He was guessing on which movie we were going to see since Ashton never told us and he was debating on what candy to get at the cinema.

I hopped off the darkened ship and then made my way up the dark dock to the shop. The group had just left.

"Ashton will be here in 10 minutes!" Ender said as opened the door.

"I know. Why don't we go change clothes yea?" I asked him and we ran back to the house.

I changed from my sweaty white t-shirt into a clean blue one and put on a new pair of white jean shorts with frayed edges. I slipped on a pair of matching blue flip-flops and sprayed on some body spray before jogging back to the shop.

Ender joined me a few minutes later, locking the house front door behind him.

The moment Ender came in the back door, Ashton walked in the front.

"Hey! Who's ready to see a movie?!" Ashton greeted us.

"I am! I am!" Ender jumped up, giving Ashton a high-five.

I laughed behind them.

"Hey." Ashton smiled at me.

"Hey." I smiled back.

"You ready to go?" He asked.

"Yea." I said. I told them both to go outside while I locked up. I met them out front when I was done.

"Where's the other guys?" I asked as we began to walk up the dock to the Marina parking lot.

"You know that party you were invited to? Well they decided to go there instead." He explained, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Ah." I nodded.

He led us up to where his car was parked. It was a red jeep. The top was down and it had no doors.

"Nice Jeep." I commented as we got closer.

"Thanks." He smiled.

Ender ran over to the car and climbed into the back. I pulled myself up into the front seat.

Ender placed the seat belt around his waist as Ashton and I did the same.

He pulled out of the parking lot and onto the side road that led to the main road of town.

For being the small sea-side town that we were, we only had one main road, but you could find everything on it. In the middle of the main road was a intersection where the cinema, grocery store, bank, and an appliance store were located. Ashton parallel parked in front of the cinema.

We all jumped out of the jeep and walked up to the ticket booth.

"I need two adults and one child for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles please." Ashton told the guy at the booth and Enders face lit up.

"We're seeing the Ninja Turtle movie?! No way!" He cheered and Ashton and I both laughed at his reaction.

"Of course little dude, what else? I've been dying to see this movie forever!" Ashton laughed and a smile spread across my face.

The ticket booth attendant handed Ashton our tickets after Ashton paid and we made our way into the building.

Ashton paid for our snacks, which I protested but he did it anyway, and then we all went to find our theatre.

The theatre only had three screening rooms and we were in the second one.

The theatre was barely crowded and we sat in the middle, Ashton and I on either side of Ender.

The before show previews started and I could feel Enders excitement as if the smile on his face wasn't obvious enough.

Ashton shot me a smile and looked at Ender, chuckling before the lights dimmed and the movie started.

Watching Ashton and Enders expressions throughout the movie was almost funnier than the movie itself.

They kept moving and laughing and smiling like idiots the entire time, cheering on their favorite turtles.

Once the movie ended and the credits started rolling, Ashton and Ender stood up and cheered, receiving strange looks from everyone in the theatre.

I pushed them out of the doors, them still laughing and talking about the movie excitedly.

When we reached outside, Ender asked if he could get an ice-cream from the shop across the street. Ashton handed him a 5 dollar bill and we watched as he carefully walked across the street before running into the ice-cream shop.

"So what did you think of the movie?" Ashton asked me, giving me a wink.

"Well it was definitely better than a party, I can tell you that for sure." I laughed."But seriously it was good."

"I'm glad." He smiled back.

"You know, you didn't have to pay for everything." I chuckled.

"It's seriously no problem." He smiled a toothy grin.

We let the quiet take over as I watched for Ender. I could see his press his face up against the glass through the shop window, trying to decide what flavour he wanted.

I shook my head as I watched him.

"This was all he could talk about the entire week." I told Ashton.

"Really?" He asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes. It was getting borderline annoying. I was about to call and see if we could move it up so he would shut up." I joked and Ashton let out a breathy laugh.

"He really likes you." I added.

"I like him too. He's fun to hang around and actually can carry an interesting
conversation." Ashton said, talking with his hands.

I smiled to myself. "Yea, he is pretty cool isn't he?"

I watched as Ender walked out of the shop and waited for traffic to stop so he could cross.

"So Ender said you're eighteen?" Ashton piped up.

"Yea." I nodded.

"And you run the shop and take care of him all by yourself?" He asked again and I nodded slowly. "Sorry, I don't mean to make you uncomfortable, it's just that Ender talks about you a lot."

"No it's fine." I assured him.

"So your parents..." He trailed off.

"They died." I finished his sentence. "Car accident."

"Oh." He nodded, his lips forming a thin line. "I'm sorry."

"Thanks." I sent him a small smile.

"Car look! I got sour worms!" Ender said running up to us.

"Thats awesome!" I said, ruffling his hair.
Ashton walked us back to his jeep and we drove back to the house.

I turned around to see Ender asleep in the backseat as we pulled up to the Marina parking lot.

Ashton parked and we both climbed out. I unbuckled Ender from the backseat and picked him up, his head falling onto my shoulder.

"He's had a long day." I said as Ashton walked us back to the shop.

"Yea. Little mate's exhausted." He looked at Enders sleeping face on my shoulder.

"He's going to be mad he didn't get to say goodbye." I chuckled.

"I'll just have to come back soon then." Ashton grinned.

We reached the shop and I turned right, walking alongside the building and then turning left to walk to the front door of the house.

I slid the key from my back pocket and unlocked the door. I walked inside and turned around, facing Ashton.

"Thanks for doing this. We both really appreciate it."

"No problem. I had fun." Ashton smiled.

"Well, goodnight." I said quietly.

"Goodnight." He smiled before walking out into the night.

I closed the door behind him and locked it.

Slowly I carried Ender upstairs and laid him gently in his bed. He snuggled into his blankets.

I smoothed his hair and kissed his forehead before turning off his lights and closing his door. I crept quietly to my room and stripped of my clothing changing into my pyjamas and curling up on my bed.

Ashton was really nice for taking us both out to the movies. He didn't really let on how much he knew about our family that Ender had told him but he was nice in trying not to impose.

My phone dinged from my nightstand beside me.

It was a text from Ashton.

'Ender left his gaming cards in the backseat. mind if I bring them by tomorrow?'

I typed out a quick reply.

'That's fine.'

I waited a minute and the phone dinged again.

'K. See you then!'

I set down the phone and pulled on the chain to my lamp, the lights going out and I closed my eyes letting my body relax.

The smell of the salt water and the sound of the waves lapping at the shore provided the perfect lullaby for me to fall asleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

129K 2.8K 40
After 3 years being separated from each other, Misty moves on after Calum leaves her behind to go on tour and starts a new life away from her hometow...
87.2K 1.8K 72
"You're just out of my limit." Ashton said. "Do you know what our experiences has been like? A roller coaster. We both had our ups and downs. We bo...
1.3K 40 41
Alex is a young girl suffering with emotional issues and the only person she's ever managed to be close to leaves her behind to follow his dreams. Wh...
523 24 23
Ashton was bestfriends with Jack ever since they were 2 years old. Then something happens Ashton meets this new girl who moved accross from him and h...