To Love A Beast | Gay MxM |

Oleh dollygrand

Inhumane experiments are turning Dante Gray, a werewolf, into a monster - can he and Chase, a hot-headed warl... Lebih Banyak

1. Day in Hell
2. Born Again
3. Broken Man
4. Morning After
5. Bed and Breakfast
6. Storm Arises
7. Njizrski
8. Promises
9. Solving Problems
10. Time and Effort
11. The Alchemist
12. Friday Night Party
13. Lord Roeruiz
14. Rage
15. News
16. Road Trip
17. Benjamin Heist
18. Not Dead Yet
19. Taking Chances
20. Burning Vale
21. New Homebase
22. The Lab
23. The Importance of Feng Shui
24. Early Christmas
25. Surprise Visitor
27. Coopers Plus Two
28. Friends in High Places
29. Up the Mountain
30. Washing Away
31. Forgotten Moments
32. Knowledge Is Power
33. Going Crazy
34. Advancing
35. To The Dark Side
36. The Blood Spell
37. Never Giving Up
38. The Mentor
39. Another Lead
40. Pixie Forest
41. Mad Science
42. Symbol
43. Cursed Seconds
44. Battling the Beast
45. The Seventh Patient
46. Secrets Revealed
47. Lost Morals
48. Rescue Mission
49. Desperate Determination
50. Secret Allies
51. Time
52. The Ring
53. Nothing Is Impossible
54. Friends and Foes
55. Rise Chaos
56. Lord Chazar
57. Back in Hell
58. Storming the Base
59. Revenge
60. The Mastermind
61. Losing No One
62. Bound Forever
63. Day in Heaven
To Love a Beast is now Free!

26. Two Books and a Skeleton

5K 307 30
Oleh dollygrand

-Chase-

I was really reluctant to leave Dante alone, but I couldn't take him with me. I really wished there was a time when nothing was threatening us, and I could show him everything about my world. The fear of losing him right after I got him back was slowly eating me away...

I should've seen the gem I had back when Dante was still a human. I should've stopped him from leaving me. None of this would've happened... But no... I was young and stupid and so goddamn self-absorbed to see past the money and the looks.

When I stepped through the portal, part of me wanted to immediately go back to make sure Dante was still all right. I didn't. Instead, I looked up at the large hall that opened in front of me. It was the visitors' entrance to Sikjdri, the capital city of Njizrski.

The hall was five stories high, the middle part open so I could see all the way to the top floor. The walls were lined with dozens of archways where the portals kept emerging and disappearing as the travelers came and went. On the ground floor where I was in, the center had a big garden of small, crooked trees that never grew any leaves or flowers, but the branches moved around a few inches every day. These trees were rare and expensive, and I had always found them fascinating. I would've gotten one for myself, but they didn't survive outside of Njizrski.

When my portal vanished, I moved away from the arch to make room for the next person that was coming in. Eru climbed on my shoulder as I started making my way towards the main entrance, wrapping her tail around my neck. She wasn't particularly careful with her claws as she tried to keep herself in balance, but I had gotten used to it.

Once outside, I took a better hold of my bag and started walking down the main street. It was so refreshing to be back there. I had truly missed Njizrski. Some humans were fun, but it was so exhausting to be careful with my words and make sure they didn't find out I was a warlock.

It wasn't the only reason why I loved Njizrski. For one, I had felt the new surge of power going through me immediately after stepping through the portal, and two, the climate was perfect. Not too hot, not too cold, the air was dry and clean, and the vibrant smells and colors pleased every fiber of my soul. I felt like I was home.

And I wished Dante was there with me. I was sure he would enjoy the small houses, the colorful nature, and the diverse people just as much as I did.

I passed by the shops and taverns, trying not to bump into the humans and demons wandering the streets. The merchant I was going to visit had a shop in the city, but these beings didn't really care about street names or numbers. All I had was a map drawn by Roe, and he didn't have a single clue about art. Or holding a pen, by the looks of it.

I sighed as I peered down at the piece of paper he had given me. I wasn't sure if it was a map or instructions to perform a ritualistic killing of myself, but I tried to follow it the best I could.

Half an hour and way too many missed intersections later, I was fuming, but at least I was now staring at the door of the place I was in this dimension for. I walked up the stone steps to the wooden door, knocked on it and stepped in.

The small, dusty shop was filled with all kinds of random things from books to armor to talismans to weapons, and there wasn't almost any room for me to move around, and I was a small man. I was careful when I walked deeper into the building but still managed to knock down a few of the expensive-looking items on the shelves. Nothing broke, thank God...

The owner heard the noise I was making and stepped out from the back to greet me with a nod. He seemed much older than me, but since he was an ardrion, just like Roe, he could've been much, much, much older than me.

"How can I help?" he asked politely, measuring me from head to toe like trying to evaluate the size of my wallet.

"Mr. Arthyzn?"

"Yes, that is me," the man nodded.

I smiled as I stepped closer. "I'm here on behalf of Lord Roeruiz to collect what belongs to him."

The man stared at me for a moment and then burst out in laughter. "That old fool just doesn't give up, does he?" he chuckled. "You can go back to him and tell him to kriws nhran. Don't gamble if you can't afford to take the risk."

"It is a family heirloom we are talking about," I said, keeping my voice calm because Roe insisted this was a deal this man couldn't resist.

"And what a fine heirloom that is!" Arthyzn barked a laugh, pointing at a shelf that was above the door he had stepped through. There was a small glass container with a skeleton of a sleeping cat inside it. "Tell the stubborn nhran that I'm taking good care of his grandmama's companion."

"I wouldn't call him a dick if I were you," I said as pleasantly as I could. "The skeleton is useless to you but means a great deal to my master."

I stressed the word, my, on purpose, and his eyes flinched just a little bit. With the connection Roe shared with me, it was easy for him to eavesdrop on our conversation. This merchant knew it, but he only scoffed at my remark.

"I'm not surprised that stubborn nhran sent his mridien here instead of showing his own ugly nose in my store... It's been ten years, Roe, you're not getting your little trophy back, you hear me!" he yelled the last part at me like I was a broken cellphone.

"Are you sure?" I asked, fishing the necklace out of my pocket, holding onto the chain and letting the big stone drop out of my fist.

Arthyzn glanced at it and was about to look away in disinterest, but then his eyes grew wide and he stepped closer, staring at the weird stone.

"That's not real, is it?" he breathed out, leaning even closer.

"It is," I smiled. "I'm requesting a trade."

"How did he get it?" he whispered. "No... It can't be real," he added with a stronger voice.

"Well, you're free to test it," I said, stretching my arm to give it to him.

His hand trembled when the stone touched his skin. I placed the chain on his hand, but he could only stare at it.

"It is real," I repeated, turning my attention to the glass box. "There are two things I want in return. The heirloom... and a book."

"A... A book?" Arthyzn repeated, finally tearing his eyes off the stone. "What book?"

"A book of blood spells," I told him.

"I... I don't know what you're talking about," he mumbled.

"Sure you don't," I sighed. "I want the book and the heirloom for the necklace. Otherwise, I'm leaving, and you can say goodbye to your family crypt forever."

"Why would he need such a book?" Arthyzn asked, glaring at me.

"He doesn't need it – I want it."

"And he allows this trade?"

I smiled again. "My master takes good care of me."

"No mridien has any business meddling with blood magic," he nearly spat at me. "What are you up to?"

I could've told him to mind his own business, but if I had learned anything while working in customer service, it was that pissing off the person you're trying to do business with rarely leads to a successful outcome.

"Look..." I sighed, "I have a sick werewolf who will die if I don't find a cure for him."

"Then go to a pharmacy," he snorted.

"I am the pharmacy," I said, keeping myself cool. "I don't even need the whole book – just let me copy the blood purification spell and you can have that necklace."

He squinted his eyes at me, still suspicious, but then turned his attention to the stone. He turned his back on me and walked behind the register. As I watched, he grabbed scissors and poked his finger just enough to draw blood. He let it drop onto the stone, holding a tight grip of the chain, and stared at it dangling in the air.

For a brief second, nothing happened, and I feared it was a fake after all, but then the stone moved, rising upwards like an invisible hand was pulling it, and stopped when the chain was perfectly horizontal.

I guess we both had held our breath. I sighed at the same time when he sputtered something incoherent, his eyes wide open.

"It's real," he whispered.

"My master – nor I – would never mess around with important things like this," I said, hoping that the situation was now turning in my favor. "All I'm asking is the heirloom and the spell in return."

He had to force his eyes off the necklace when he turned to look at me. I could tell that having the necklace back in its rightful owner meant the world to him, but was it enough?

He stared at me for a moment and then sighed. "I'm afraid it won't be that easy," he muttered, looking at the necklace again.

"What do you mean?" I asked slowly in annoyance, suddenly feeling like he didn't have the book any longer.

He sighed again, snapped his fingers and a big, old book appeared in his hands. Without a word, he gave it to me and walked away. I squinted my eyes at his back and placed the book on a small table, opening a random page.

The second I saw the page, I closed my eyes and bit my lips in irritation, leaning against the table. "What is this?" I asked.

"Ancient northern Njizrski dialect I suppose," Arthyzn said. "But written by a madman."

"Great," I muttered, looking down at the page again. The book was truly old and completely written by hand. The ink used was most likely blood, and so faded it was a bit hard to read. If it could be read at all since the handwriting was complete shit. "Thanks, Roe..."

"Take the book," Arthyzn said. "I doubt you'll find it useful."

"And the heirloom," I said, even though I wasn't sure if Roe deserved getting it back.

"And the heirloom," he sighed. "It's taking up space anyway..."

I didn't reply to him. I just stared at the book for a long time. Then, I flipped the next page, and the next one, and the next one... I could recognize a word or two, but other than that, it all seemed like unintelligent gibberish. I couldn't even tell which spell was the one I needed, and I would've doubted it was the spell book I needed if it weren't for the extremely detailed, accurate drawings of all kinds of nasty things that happened to the victims of the spells.

There was no way the writer and the artist were the same person...

Did I fail again...?

"Here's the heirloom," Arthyzn spoke, placing the glass box next to the book. "Thank you for giving me my family back. And tell your master that... that he is welcome to my shop again."

I nodded, still unable to believe I got screwed over once again. I had planned on going to pick up the ingredients for the spell while I was here and start working on it as soon as I got back home, but this... Which fucking spell was it?

"And here... If your werewolf really is in danger, this might get handy," he said, placing another big book on top of the box.

I peered at the name. "How to kill a werewolf?" I frowned and turned to glare at him angrily.

"With antidotes and counterspells," he said before I could get angrier. "It's a very comprehensive guide about their health and history. If you don't mind reading a book that was written by someone with scorching hate towards werewolves, that is."

I grimaced at that thought. I'd probably be steaming with anger while reading it... "Thanks," I muttered, straightening my posture. "I'll better get going. Thank you for the books. And the heirloom."

"No, thank you. I don't think you know how much this key matter to me," the demon replied.

"Probably only a bit more than the heirloom means to Roe," I said – these two demons were very attached to everything related to their families.

He nodded slowly, watching me gather my things. "Would you like a bag?"

"Yes, please."

*****

After getting back to Ben's place, I lowered the bag on the ground and let Eru down, I slowly climbed up the stairs. My previous excitement was gone, and I dreaded facing Dante. I already felt like I had failed once again... I wasn't giving up yet, but... I wasn't sure if anyone could read the scribbles in that damned book. I did know a professional, but I really didn't want to call her. It just... I had to do it. For Dante.

I pushed Dante's door open and saw him sitting on the bed, leaning against the wall. He was looking down.

"Hey," I smiled, walking closer to him. He didn't move a muscle. He didn't even blink. "Dante?!" I rushed to him and placed my hands on his cheeks. His eyes were open, but they didn't move. At least he was still breathing... "Dante!"

I shook him hard, but it didn't work. My fear was nearly consuming me when I couldn't get him to look at me. He didn't even know I was there. I looked around hastily and spotted a ring on his finger.

"What is this..." I muttered and suddenly recognized it. Mjyrna! I yanked it off his finger, and Dante immediately gasped for air and started coughing. "Where did you get this?" I demanded, shaking the ring in front of his face.

"Your lord... he visited me," he murmured.

"Roe?" I said with wide eyes, and he nodded. "ROE!" I screeched at the ceiling, but that damn jerk didn't reply to me. "You know goddamn well I don't want you anywhere near Dante!"

"It's fine – it's fine," Dante spoke, and I turned to look at him. "He just wanted to meet me, that's all."

"What did he do? What did he say?"

Dante told me shortly about his meeting with Roe, and no matter how hard he tried to convince me everything was fine, I still wanted to murder Roe.

"No, that is unforgivable," I hissed. "I should've been the one to arrange that meeting. He knows the risks of showing his face in front of you! Things could've gone terribly wrong! And that ring!"

My eyelid twitched when I looked at the ring, and I turned to yell at the ceiling, "You gave him a Mjyrna ring?! What the hell is wrong with you?!"

"Chase," Dante spoke, taking my hand in his. "Chill – he's cool, and to be honest... it was really nice meeting him. I can tell he cares about you a lot."

I took the deepest breath to calm down. I studied him closely, and he did seem surprisingly calm. Although it was probably because of that damned ring.

"He shouldn't have given you this," I said. "You're not allowed to use it."

"He said it will help us in the long run."

"You don't even know how to use it. You could've died!"

"What?" he frowned.

"Some people stop breathing if they're not careful!" I said, trying to keep my voice down but I was still freaking out. I was so mad at Roe... Yes, it was extremely rare that people died using it, but it was still a possibility.

But my anger suddenly vanished when his expression turned sad. "I didn't know... I'm sorry... I just wanted to... he said it'll help..."

I suddenly had a strong need to hug him, so I wrapped my arms around his shoulder and held him tight. "I'm sorry for getting mad... You scared the shit out of me," I murmured soothingly.

He hugged me back and rested his head on my shoulder. "I just want to get better..."

"You will. I promised you that," I said, thinking about the book.

I guess he was thinking about it too, since he asked, "Did you get it?"

I closed my eyes for a brief moment, wishing I had better news... "I did, but... We might have a problem."

"I see," he muttered without asking what I meant. I knew he never believed the book could help and hearing the defeat in his voice killed me.

I pulled back, placing my hands on his cheeks. "If there is a problem, I will fix it, okay? I already know what to do next."

He nodded but stayed silent. I hugged him again, placing my hand on the back of his head. "Roe was right... The ring might help us, but you're not allowed to use it on your own. I must be there with you, okay?"

He nodded again.

"Good," I muttered and let go of him again. "Let me go fix that little problem, and I'll be right back, okay?"

"What are you going to do?" he asked as I stood up.

"Just making a quick call," I smiled at him. "I'll need someone to translate the book for us."

"That's the problem?"

"It's... not easy to translate, but I know a pro, so it should be fine," I said reassuringly, feeling both confident and uneasy about my plan. I was not lying, but... "I'll be right back."

I returned back downstairs, grabbed Eru from the couch, and opened the portal to my home. After I stepped in, I went into the kitchen, grabbed a big, wooden bowl from the shelves and headed into my own room. Once there, I made sure I was alone in the house before mixing a bunch of ingredients in the bowl. Lastly, I took a sharp knife. My blood was the last ingredient.

Once the stuff in the bowl had turned red, porridge-like substance, I peered at the door once again, taking in a deep breath.

I was so going to regret this call...

I closed my eyes and moved my bleeding hand over the bowl, forming a picture of her in my head. "Hello?" I called out quietly.

"Ch... Cha...? I ca... ou..."

I sighed and focused harder to make the connection stronger.

"Can you hear me now?"

"Yes! How are you?"

"I'm good, but... uh... I need your help, Mom."

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

343 1 50
The Badger Series (Book 25) Can be a stand alone. Warning: BoyxBoy Pascal Badger is a werewolf who trusts people a bit too much, at least if those...
3.5K 129 8
*MATURE* Dantè Willow, a 21- year old omega abhorred Alphas after an unsightly incident that transpired right before his eyes. His life immediately v...
1.5M 67.5K 174
''After a few seconds of them staring at one another, Dante finally spoke. But his voice had changed; it was breathless and soft, echoing with a swee...
175K 6.9K 36
Caleb is your everyday dorky 19 year werewolf. He's the youngest omega of the pack but everyone loves him. Caleb lost his parents when he was 9 due t...