Don't Write Me Off (Christian...

By GloryOrah

|Completed| After finding out she's pregnant for the senior pastor of one of the biggest churches in New York... More

From The Author
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter Twenty-four
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Epilogue
From The Author

Chapter Thirty-Three

2.3K 357 29
By GloryOrah

A lady was yelling. Her voice seemed to be coming from downstairs. Caroline looked through the window to see what was going on. She saw a man and a woman. The man was holding a bouquet; he looked strikingly familiar. Caroline looked more closely. It was Isaac Luke. Her heart skipped a beat. What was he doing here? Who was the woman and what was she yelling at him about? The woman had her back to her, so she couldn't see her face. Caroline tried to hear the commotion was about.

"Please, let me go in and see her." Isaac pleaded.

"No." The woman yelled. "She doesn't want to see you. She doesn't need you in her life. Go away!"

Caroline gasped at the woman's remark. Who was she? She was wrong. Caroline wanted to see Isaac with everything in her. Now, the woman was succeeding in weakening Isaac's resolve. Isaac was relenting. Looking dejected, he was taking a few steps backward. No! Caroline didn't want him to go. She rushed downstairs to prevent him from leaving but she was too late. Isaac was gone and the woman, who still had her back to her was laughing sadistically. Who was this woman? Caroline walked to her to see her face and what Caroline saw shocked her. The lady was her. How on earth was that possible.

"Why did you send him away?" Caroline asked her. Not waiting for her reply, Caroline ran out of the gate to catch up with Isaac. She ran as fast as she could but Isaac was already far away. She tried shouting his name but he couldn't hear her.

"I won't let you get to him." The woman was running after her. "You're safe without him."

"No." Caroline cried as she ran.

"Don't let him fool you." The woman's voice and footsteps sounded louder as she came closer.

Caroline tried to run faster but her legs weren't cooperating. The woman grasped her hand and Caroline tripped, but before she could hit the ground, everything changed. She was no longer on the tarred road running after Isaac and no look-alike was pursuing her. She was lying down in her room, panting and perspiring like never before. What a nightmare. Caroline sighed and closed her eyes. What was the meaning of this dream? She wasn't surprised she'd dreamt of Isaac, considering the fact that she'd thought about him every single day for the past eight days, and... wait... Wasn't today Monday. She was supposed to resume work today after the eight days the company had given her to rest. What time was it? she glanced at the wall clock. 7:45. Oh, Lord. She was supposed to be at work by 8:00. What happened to her alarm? And why didn't Aunt Emni wake her up?

She showered as fast as she could. By the time she was done, it was 7:55. She sighed in defeat. There was no use rushing, she was going to be late no matter what. She picked up the pink palazzo pants and white chiffon top she'd set aside for today. She'd been anticipating this day for the past eight days, not because she missed work or anything. It was because of Isaac. When she asked him to stop coming to see her, she didn't think he'd take it this serious. For the past eight days, she hadn't received a single call or text from him. She couldn't count the number of times she'd hold her phone for hours just waiting for Isaac's call which never came. Was he angry with her? Did he hate her now? Maybe he'd lost his feelings for her. She couldn't bear those thoughts. The last thing she wanted was for Isaac to stop liking her. The hurt will be unbearable. The past eight days had seemed slower than usual as Caroline had been anticipating this day; the day she'd see him and be sure they were still cool.

She hurried out after dressing, not bothering to eat; she wasn't so hungry, after all. She needed to make it to work before 8:30. It seemed her aunt and uncle had already gone out to work. They probably didn't remember her eight days were over or they would've woken her up. She was very late. She locked the house and boarded the first cab she saw, but not before checking to make sure the driver wasn't inebriated.

The drive to Jay's wears took about fifteen minutes and by the time she got there, it was 8:20. Twenty minutes late. Not so bad. Isaac must be in his office. Did he know she'd be back today? Would he come to check up on her? She could only hope. She walked upstairs, glad that most of the people downstairs didn't know her and wouldn't disturb her with welcome-back greetings. She entered the production unit and walked to the table where Lawrence and the rest of her team members were. She was met with squeals and hugs that almost threw her on the floor. She wasn't comfortable with the attention, but she couldn't deny the fact that she felt very loved and that made her happy. Sandra and Lawrence were standing at the end of the table. Sandra was scowling while Lawrence was smiling. When she got to the end of the table, Lawrence gave her a hug which lasted longer than necessary.

"Babe, I missed you." He whispered in her ear. "Did you get the cards I sent you."

Although she felt like pushing him away, she forced a smile and squirmed free from the hug, not answering his question. Yes, Lawrence had sent her get well soon cards every day since her accident, but she never opened any. She didn't want anything to do with Lawrence She'll beg Isaac to move her from Lawrence's team to some other team. And speaking of Isaac, she hoped he'd come by to see her.

Minutes later, the noise died down as everybody got back to work.

"Did you get the card I sent?" Jennifer asked her as they cut materials for a pencil trouser.

"Yeah." Caroline grinned. Everyone had sent her cards except Sandra. "Thank you so much."

"We wanted to come, see you, but there was just no time. Work starts in the morning and ends in the evening." Jennifer explained.

"I understand," Caroline whispered. "Your card meant a lot." She smiled.

Caroline heard the door open and quickly looked up hoping it was Isaac who'd come to check up on her, but she was disappointed as a random worker walked in. She continued working, looking up whenever she heard the door open only to get her hopes shattered as it was never Isaac. As the hours passed, Caroline got depressed. Why hadn't Isaac come? Didn't he know she resumed work today? Afternoon came and Lawrence released them for their thirty-minute break.

Caroline rushed into the hallway leading to Isaac's office. If he didn't come to check on her, then he probably didn't know she was around. She contemplated knocking on the door to his office. But what would she say to him? She wasn't that bold. But if she didn't, how would she see him? Should she just knock? She lifted her fist to knock when she remembered something Lawrence had said just that morning. The board members would be in a meeting from 12 to 2 pm. That meant Isaac wasn't in his office, he was in the board room. What was the time? She checked her wristwatch. 2:05. Perfect. Isaac would be out any moment from now. She'll just wait a little.

Soon, she started hearing voices and footsteps coming from the direction of the board room. They were done. She smiled to herself. If she should walk in that direction, she'll definitely bump into Isaac. What a genius she was. She started in that direction and after walking past a lot of people, she sighted Isaac from far. Her heart skipped a beat as she adjusted her shirt. Isaac wasn't looking forward, his attention was on a paper in his hand, meaning he hadn't seen her. As they drew closer to each other, he looked up and Caroline's heart beat faster. She looked away, but she knew he'd spotted her.

"Caroline!" He called to her as she was about walking past him. "You're back." He smiled. "How are you?"

"I'm fine." Caroline slowed down her pace but didn't stop walking. She smiled as she walked past him. He'll call her back. This was the part she loved. Where he'd call her back so they could talk more. Caroline smirked as she walked away expecting to hear her name, but after taking several steps and not hearing her name, her smirk died down. She looked back. To her surprise and hurt, Isaac was walking to his office, still engrossed in the paper he'd been looking at. Her shock knew no bounds. He hadn't seen her or heard anything from her for eight solid days and this was how he acted when he saw her? Hadn't he missed her at all? Caroline stood there watching Isaac as he approached his office and walked in, never for once turning back to look back at her.

She back to the production unit feeling defeated. For the past eight days, Isaac hadn't called her or texted her, which was very unlike him. And to crown it all up, he wasn't even excited to see her today. Was Isaac angry with her for what she said to him at the hospital? Had he lost his feelings for her? She tried to fight the tears threatening to fall. Why did she say those harsh words to him? She missed his attention more than anything. She spent the remaining hours of the day thinking about Isaac and paying little attention to her work. Evening came and Caroline couldn't wait for Lawrence to dismiss them. Isaac would give her a ride home after work and then they'll talk.

When Lawrence dismissed them at 7:30, she hurried out before Lawrence could tell her to wait for him. She'd waited downstairs until she was sure Lawrence had left before going back upstairs to wait for Isaac. She wouldn't go and meet him. She'll wait for him to come, look for her or call her. He'll do one of those. But 7:30 turned to 8:30 as people gradually left the office, yet there was no call from Isaac. Feeling hurt, Caroline walked downstairs. Had Isaac left her to go home all by herself or had he forgotten she was here? Was this how bad things had gotten? She walked out of the building and scanned the parking lot for Isaac's car. She sighed in relief when she saw it parked at his usual spot. He didn't leave her after all. But Caroline couldn't wait any longer. She'd go home by taxi. Isaac would look for her when he was ready to go and when he didn't see her, he'll definitely call.

Caroline boarded a taxi home after checking to make sure the driver wasn't drunk. She took her bath, had dinner and ironed her clothes for the next day, all the while anticipating Isaac's call. At 9:30, her phone rang. He finally called. She smirked as she picked it up from her bedside table. She was about to answer the call when she noticed the caller ID. It was Lawrence. Caroline groaned in frustration as she flung the phone to the other side of the bed. Her hopes had just been raised only to get smashed. The phone kept ringing and for the umpteenth time, Caroline contemplated blocking Lawrence's number. But she couldn't because sometimes he sent her relevant information. If she was ever successful in getting off Lawrence's team, blocking his number would be the first thing she'll do.

Minutes turned to hours as Caroline waited for Isaac's call and by midnight, all her hopes gone. She was heartbroken. Isaac didn't care about her anymore. He didn't even care to know if she got home safely. But she couldn't blame him, it was all her fault. Why did she push him away? Caroline fought the tears as she held her phone with no hopes of him calling her. She searched for his contact phone and considered calling. She was on the verge of tapping the green button when she remembered it was midnight. What would she tell him? She didn't want him to see her as one of those cheap models who threw themselves at him. She dialed Lois' number instead. Lois wasn't an early sleeper. That, Caroline knew. She hoped Lois would answer her call.

"Caroline!" Lois' jovial tone brought Caroline some relief.

"Lois." Caroline tried to hide the sadness from her voice. "I hope I didn't wake you up."

"No, you didn't. Is everything okay?" Lois sounded concerned.

"I don't know." Caroline sighed. "I just want to ask you something."

"Okay, ask."

"Does Isaac still like me?" Caroline held her breath as she waited for Lois' answer.

"Of course." Lois laughed. "Like is an understatement. Isaac is mad over you." She paused. "Why are you asking?"

"I don't know." Caroline sighed. "I just feel he doesn't."

"Don't feel that way. He does."

"Then why isn't he talking to me?"

"He's not?" Lois sounded surprised.

"No, he's not." Caroline nodded.

"Did you try talking to him and he didn't answer?"

"No." Caroline sighed. "But—"

"Caroline." Lois sighed. "Isaac respects you. That's why. He's considering your wants above his own." She paused. "I don't know if that makes any sense."

"No, it doesn't." Caroline was frustrated. "I feel he's angry with me."

"He isn't. Why would you think that? Did you offend him?"

"I... I didn't mean to."

"What did you do?"

"I told him to stop coming to see me. But I didn't think he'd take it this seriously. And I didn't do it to hurt him, I just didn't want to be a distraction."

"Sweetheart, Isaac isn't angry with you." From her tone, Caroline could tell Lois was smiling. "But if you feel he is, there's no harm in making things right with him."

"How do I do that?"

"Wait. I have an idea." Lois sounded excited.

"What's that."

"Do it on his birthday, Caroline. It'll be so romantic."

"When is his birthday?"

"You don't know Isaac's birthday is the day after tomorrow?" Lois sounded surprised. "I thought the news was all over the office."

"It's probably because I haven't been around."

"That's true. I'm glad you know now." Lois replied. "We're planning a surprise party for him after work that day, I'll make a way for you to be alone with him at some point, so you just get ready. Is that okay?"

"Yes." Caroline was happy and at the same time, tensed. She needed to get Isaac a birthday present but she didn't know what he liked. "What gift do you think I should get him?" She asked.

"Just get him anything from your heart. Isaac is usually more concerned about the heart of the giver than the gift."

"Okay." Caroline nodded.

After they'd said their goodbyes, Caroline ended the call. She needed to prepare for Isaac's big day. What present would she get him? What would she wear? How could she make things right? These thoughts stayed with Caroline. Before she slept, she prayed, sharing all of them with the Holy Spirit, and she slept like a baby as the peace that passes all understanding enveloped her like a blanket.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

50.1K 6.7K 37
Jeanette Arthur had no idea what was going to happen to her when they opened the doors. Was she going to die? Or would she wish she was dead? She be...
22.7K 3.2K 23
Family may break you, but there are strangers that will walk you through the journey of healing and help you find the light. After the death of Mary'...
417 31 20
Chloe thought she knew it all, and everyone was against her. But a trip to a Christian summer camp might be the opportunity she needs to see the trut...
140K 14.8K 26
Sold for nothing, bought at a price. Where is God when it hurts the most? Sisi knows a thing or two about pain. Given away in a child marriage by t...