Queen of North

By AlfieSolomons00

The story follows Sansa Stark,Queen of North and lady of Winterfell after her brother's Bran coronation as th... More

Prologue (trailer)
Castle Black
The dragon
The pit
A dragon is here
Littlefinger
Tombs
Dragon's awakening
The broken king
Blood of my blood
Lord Dragon
Peace for war
Alliance
Did you miss me?
Ask me
Are you happy?
The other Queen
The Dead and the Fallen
The undying
The dinner
Princess & Bastard
Wine and fire
The Dragon King
Farewell
Illusions and guilt
Lord of Gwendeith
Father's duty
Time to heal
Part of my heart
He's one of us
Sleeping dragon
Flameborn
Poisoned mind
Mad king
Downfall
You'll die tonight, My King
Dark future
Queen of North (second part)
I found you
Snow
Lady commander
Reunited
We need you
The powers you hold
Bedtime stories
You'll pay
Son of Summer
Hunter's wife
You're my home
The trial
The King in the North
Atonement
We live forever (final)

Lord Commander

2.4K 63 58
By AlfieSolomons00

His steps were quite rushed as he walked down the stairs heading to the great hall to seek the attention of the queen. Sansa and maester Sam where sitting across the fire reading on letters and probably complaints from the men around the realm.

"Your Grace." He bows gaining the attention of the young queen.

"Sir Davos? What is it?" Her eyes,pale blue like ice almond shape intimidating and cold to whoever lay eyes upon.
"Your grace, lord Gorak is here. He seeks an audience with you if you're not too engaged with your duties." He explained. Sansa hand the finished and sealed letters back to the maester's hands and nod to sir Davos to show the man in.

Of course the man came in bow in first place show all his respect and start complaining. The situation in the countryside on the east side of the Wall was out of control. Wildlings raiding and purging over everything and everyone. Terrorising and destroying the paid with blood and gold peace that she hardly regained. But the man was right. The Night's Watch had to defend the lands and keep the wildlings away but instead she had robberies and scared people to walk around their own properties. She promised lord Gorak that she'll talk with the Night's Watch or if she must sent her own men to protect them. Something she was willing to do.

Spending no more time, she gather up her council of the most trusted. Sir Davos,of course. Maester Sam and four other members of the closest families of Winterfell. After long hours of discussion with them they came to a conclusion. Night's Watch must act.

So queen had listened to her advisors,her lords and northmen and decided to send a raven to the Castle Black. Maester Sam inform her that there's a new commander among the men in black,James was his name. And the need to meet with him was more than urgent now.

Surprisingly,after months of wandering the wild wolf return to the nest. Arya was back home. Quite disappointed but Sansa was shining bright from her return. She missed her so much. She listened to her stories from the sea every night before they went to bed. Those nights remind her of her childhood. When Arya preferred to be around the boys than her. She couldn't blame her for that now. Now that she could see herself from the eyes of a totally different person she grew up to be,she can't blame her. She never will.

Three days had passed and a raven came back with a small nod wrapped on the animal's leg. The commander replied to her request and let her know that he would be at Winterfell within a day.

With few men commander travelled from Castle Black. His white mare calmly walking, passing by woods until they stopped in front of the gates. James, commander of Castle Black jumped from his horse, holding leash, he took few steps toward a man and Winterfell guards, narrowing eyes. "Queen sent me a note, sir," he gave a small paper with the rest of Queen's seal. "So, here I am."

Sir Davos took the letter and recognise it. They let the man pass in so he can meet with them properly.
"I'm sir Davos. Welcome to Winterfell, commander." Davos watched him curiously extended his hand for a shake. He was quite younger than he expected him to be but not the less as he expect him to look. Broad and strong posture and he was sure that his long black cape was hiding more of the scars that his face was revealing.

James accepted his hand to shake. "Name's James, commander of Castle Black," he said in low voice. "Davos, hm," he then nodded his head, realizing who was standing in front of him, however he didn't say more than. "So, where is the Queen?"

"Follow me please. Your men can remain. I'll send someone to offer them food and something to drink." He nods his head once before he starts to walk towards the castle to the main hall where the queen awaits. The door opened and first to walk in was sir Davos.
"Your grace,this is Commander of the Night's Watch sir James."

Sansa was sitting on the wooden chair holding her back to the fire watching over all the papers her maester bless her with but when she heard them entering and Davos introducing the guest she rose her eyes slowly. She pose for a moment watching over the man then stood nod for them to approach.
"Welcome to Winterfell, commander." She nods quietly watching him.

Hearing Davos' words, calling him sir, James frowned slightly. He looked at Sansa woth narrowed eyes, studying her for a few moments in silence, then bowed slightly, asking. "Your Grace, what can I do for you?"

"You might sit for start." She briefly gave him another look and took back her seat with a small sigh waiting for him to sit. "I understand you must be tired after the traveling and let me tell you that I'm grateful you came. North is facing a terrible situation with attacks and robberies on the east side of the wall. I'm quite surprised that you're unaware of it to be honest."

Young girl entered in silence the room, curiously glancing from one person to another. She remained standing in a corner of room across the room, after she with nod exchanged look with her sister, keeping her hand on a scabbard with her sword. Briefly looking at her with corner of his eyes, James smirked, then answered to Queen. "I am here to protect Winterfell or to stop these attacks and robberies? The fact, that I am sitting here, doesn't mean, my men aren't fighting battles right now, Your Grace."

"You're here to guard the wall,sir." She answered strictly. Davos remained silent and briefly smirk over the nerve of the young commander. "I assume you're new to your duties and maybe your maesters didn't inform you that priority right now is the safety of the North. You duty starts to the Wall and i was expecting you to be aware of what happens there."

Sir Davos tried to explain.
"Sir James.." he started.
"Commander,sir Davos." Sansa correct him. "He's not a knight." Davos awkwardly turn to give a look at his queen and nod slightly to her comment then turn back to James. "Commander,the situation on your Wall effects the people of North and our queen is trying to tell you that keeping these matters away from the land is your responsibility."

"Perhaps Queen should understand one thing," James glanced from him to Sansa. "There is no wall," he narrowed his eyes. "Perhaps if you 'dsometimes make a little trip and left four walls of your castle, you would know. Half of it has been destroyed, what makes enemies pass through it easily. Yes, we do whatever we can, mostly waiting for winter to come back. And..." he rose his hand, when he noticed Davos opening his mouth. "Before you ask, why haven't we called and asked for help. We have, we are doing out best and if you don't believe me. Come with me. You can visit your brother," he then rose his brows. "He'd be glad to hear, that you came back," he briefly turned to Arya. "Why did you give up so soon?"

Arya looked at Sansa, then answered. "We found nothing but a sea."

"Impatience. Shame," James answered, lookimg out of the window.

Sansa was quite mused by his words. Tho on the surface she remained calm inside her temper changed from furious to calm very quickly. He was good with words and apparently not so unaware as she thought.

"You're right. But i believe it would be wise if the queen remain in the castle. With the attacks the Wall will be an unsuitable place for the leader of the North." Davos advice her but Sansa remain silent watching over the commander.

"You've travelled to West? Did you find something?" Arya, who couldn't get over his words, curiously questioned.

"Yes, Princess," he answered, looking at Sansa. "Your Grace... Would that be all? Should I wait for you in front of the castle or do you believe me, that I will accomplish my duties and responsibilities without your presence at the "Wall"?"

"Sister, a word?" Arya said, looking at Sansa.

Sansa without a word stood up.
"Sir Davos, prepare my horse and my guards." She answered shortly before she turns to Arya.
"I know there must always be a Stark on Winterfell but i know how much you want to see Jon so you'll join us too." She smiled briefly and walked down on the narrow corridor leading to the stairs up to her chambers.

"Thank you," Arya smiled briefly, then continued. "Not only that, I must be honest with you, Sansa," she followed her, thinking about words, that man said just few moments ago. "Who is he? Do you know anything about him? Do you think he is telling the truth?" She showered her sister with questions. Her journey to west was unsucessful and young woman came back exhausted and disappointed. Was is even possible, that commander could tell the truth?

"I don't know." She close the door of her chambers as Arya walked in. "And i clearly don't trust him." She sighed walking close to her window. "That's why i want you with me there. You're the only one i trust. And maester Sam said that he was chosen as commander a moon ago, so Jon still haven't regain the trust of the Watch. I want you with me there."

"I'll have your back," Arya nodded her head with small smile. "And my answers," she added with wider smile. "I'll go prepare my clothes and horse. Don't worry, if he just looks at you badly, I'll cut his throat," she came to Sansa and hugged her shortly, then in rush left her chamber.

After quite long maids came to take the queen's most needed possessions for the journey. Not much just the most necessary. She met with Arya on the great hall and together walked outside finding commander waiting close to his horse surrounded by his men. The queen's guards formed a line behind on their horses ready to follow her. Sir Davos had already prepared the horse of princess and queen's.
"Shall we now, commander?" She asked him after she climbed up on her black stallion.

Without a word, just with confirmation nod, he gestured his men to get on horses and jumped on his own mare, who calmly waited until he smacked his lips and their journey began.

The gates of Winterfell open and first to walk towards the landscape spreading on their feet were the men in black. James holding back close to the guard of queen and Arya who was next to her. Arya approach him and ride side to side with his horse and Sansa pick up her run to catch with her guards in the front.

"What is it, Princess?" James asked without looking at her, observing areas around them, listening to the sounds coming from woods.

"You travel western from Westeros?" She narrow her eyes once maybe measuring him if he was serious earlier. "You travel on the other side of the great sea?"
Sansa was keep hee halm pace listening to them carefully.

He grinned briefly, peeking at her with corner of his eyes. "It's where I come from, Princess," he answered in low voice. "It's my home. What made you to give up? Sea? I mentioned impatience before, but I am not sure about you being impatient at all. Perhaps impatience of the others?"

"Your home?" She halted her horse and Sansa briefly turn to look back at him in surprise. Arya grew even more curious then and started her pace again to follow up. "There's a land beyond the sea? Where? What's the name?" She asked him again.

"When you grow up and find better crew for your ship perhaps you'll reach seashore of my land, Princess. Maybe you simply was not ready to all... To see..."

Million questions and thoughts crossed Arya's mind but before she could open her mouth to ask Sansa had already stop her stallion from pacing and turn to them. The guards gather up around her the next second also halting on their feet.
"And what's the name of your house, commander?"

"House of Gwynbleidd, Your Grace. Ever heard of it? No," he answered before she was even able to say a word. "How could you? It no longer exists," he said pensively, clearing his throat.

Sansa narrow her eyes once but remained as motionless as she could. "It's true,i never heard of it before." She admitted and turn to see over the woods. "Neither have the maesters or Citadel and surly you haven't report something such as on the files of the Night's Watch so.." she pace few metres close to his horse. "What was your crime and you came here to serve? And why they sent you away from the other side of the sea?"

"I left myself after my parents were executed, Your Grace. That is why my house no longer exists. So, that is why I am just... James," he said quietly. "My crime. Does it really matter? Who even decides, if my actions were crime or not? Criminals themselves as I would say."

"My question wasn't rhetorical,lord commander." She said watching him directly in the eyes. "What was your crime?"

"A murder," he answered without telling more.

She draw back and return to her position without saying anything else. The guards started to move again behind her. Arya turn to James and gave him a quick look. "Just one?" She smirk teasingly and strike her whip on her horse and the horse started to run inside the woods.

"I guess I lost counting, Princess," James smirked, shaking his head, looking after her.

Sansa grew bolder and speed up reaching the men in black horses they heading on the front. She needed that,the sense of air brushing her face as she ride on her horse. It was liberating. The guards tried to catch up with her but they came too late. An arrow came from the woods to pierce the leg of her stallion. The animal kick on his feet throwing Sansa on the ground. The guards gather up around her with shields to prepare for attack and Sansa shouted.
"Arya! Get down!"

James ordered his men to create line and wait. He himself followed Arya, who halted her horse and James got by her side. "What do you hear, Princess?" He whispered, tilting his own head. It was quiet, lethal silence like before storm. Attack could come any moment.

"One." She murmured watching carefully around the area. "Maybe two. Unorganized and wooden arrow. These must be my brother's friends." She smirk and hit the bridles,her horse started to run through the woods and the only thing that came to them was screams of men. Arya return after a while panting. "Free folks." She shrugged.

Sansa stand with a painful groan,she fall on her leg but she could still walk. Hardly but it was still working. She pace slowly to her stallion. The animal was wounded deeply. His black shining leg was bleeding and she kneel down carefully and tore up her clothe to wrap it around his wound. The animal shattered but she stood up and calm him down stroking his shining mane. "I'll need a horse." She said turning to her men.

James snorted as he approached back. "You can have mine, Your Grace," he said, stretching his arm to her. "She can carry us both. Leave your horse here, he would just slow us down. He will feed hungry throats tonight," he looked at wounded stallion, then back at Sansa.

"No!" She refused categorically. "I'm not making my horse food for the other animals. Sir Rickon." She turns to one of her men. The man approach and bow offering his horse.
"It's alright, your Grace. I'll take Lord to Castle Black. But are you sure you can step on again?" He asked her and she took a deep breath. Her leg was still hurting but she made an attend. Once she raised her feet to the sole step she hissed in pain and her foot fall back down.

"Seven hells!" Aryan curse watching her. "You can't ride a horse alone! Do you want me to send someone to the castle for a carriage?"

"Who said something about animals?" James, who for a moment kep his eyes between trees, noticed a pair of eyes observing them. He kicked his mare to sides and ran toward Sansa, leaning down, grabbing her by her waist. "Keep the horse here, let's go! Woods won't be safe after sun set!" He lifted her likd she was light as feather and made her to sit in front of him. "Let's go!" He without waiting a single second beckoned his horse to go and in galop hit the road.

Arya crooked smile appear on her face as she follows them by and the men of the Night's Watch did so. The guards of Winterfell stood confused for a moment watching at each other if they must react on that but since the queen did command anything else they follow up too.

Sansa was still panting from the unexpected move as she settles on the saddle of his mare. She was slightly shaking from the shock but she tried to calm down. "Don't do that again." She said quietly and briefly turn her head on the side towards him.

"If you hesitate again, I will," he answered almost whispering, and slowed down a little as he saw, that quick pace caused her pain. Men from Night Watch surrounded them and Arya got to their side. "Are they still standing there like statues or what?" He smirked briefly, looking at young Princess, when he heard sound of horses approaching. "Ah, no, they woke up already."

"They learn so fast!" Arya chuckled and speed up once she noticed on the horizon the gates of the Castle Black.

After some time they all arrive outside the gate and when the guards saw their commander one of them shouted.
"Lord commander came back. Open the gates!"
Sansa tried to get down of the horse slowly and James helped her. The gates slowly opened and Black cloths appear. The Night's Watch was still standing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4K 121 13
She used to be stupid. "A great many people underestimated you," Tyrion says, the first time he sees her. "Many of them are dead now." It is meant to...
140K 2.2K 24
My name is Lacee Stark and my father is lord of Winterfell but he has been asked to go to the Kings Landing to be the king's hand. I and my sister Sa...
1.1M 38.8K 115
In which Annalys Baratheon is arranged to marry Robb Stark and when her 'father' dies, she is forced to side with the North in the Five War of the Ki...
1.5K 78 5
A brother coming home, tales of a friend's deceit, stolen birthright....