Don't Write Me Off (Christian...

By GloryOrah

|Completed| After finding out she's pregnant for the senior pastor of one of the biggest churches in New York... More

From The Author
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter Twenty-four
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Epilogue
From The Author

Chapter Eighteen

2.8K 383 44
By GloryOrah

Caroline's frustration was overwhelming. She was finding it hard to concentrate on the tomatoes she was slicing. She'd been praying for days but hadn't gotten any tangible response from God. She was at a crossroad in her life and one thing she feared was having to make a decision only to have regrets later. Isaac Luke's offer was too good to be true. These kinds of offers were best handled with caution. She strongly believed the saying 'Nothing good comes easy.' Hadn't this offer come easy? But her years of designing had cost her time and energy and even she, herself couldn't deny the fact that her designs were good. She remembered the verse they'd studied from Proverbs just this morning during devotion. 'Seest thou a man skillful in his work, he shall stand before kings. He shall not stand before mean men.' This passage reminded her of her prayer time two nights ago, her mind had been filled with thoughts of a verse she'd read weeks before. 'A man's gift makes room for him.' These thoughts were so strong she was almost convinced that it was God speaking to her. The only reason she doubted was the fact that the devil also used scriptures to deceive people. Hadn't he tried to tempt Jesus with scripture? Maybe he was trying to tempt her to betray her boss. After all, God would not tell her to do that.

"Is something bothering you?" Aunt Emni was slicing carrots for the meal they were about to prepare.

"I'm just so confused. I don't know what to do concerning this job offer and the fact that I'm having a difficult time hearing from God frustrates me. I don't want to make any decision that I'll regret later."

Aunt Emni smiled. "I'm happy you're not jumping into making any decisions, that's very commendable. But there's something you need to know, and I believe knowing this will help in your decision-making process."

"What's that?" She was eager to hear it.

"Do you know that there's a specific reason you're on earth? There's a reason why God created you and placed you here."

"Yes. To worship him." Caroline had been thought this in Sunday school. But, what did that have to do with her situation?

"Yes, but that's general. God created all men for his pleasure, but he also created each man for specific things. Remember what He said to Jeremiah, 'Before you were formed in your mother's womb, I knew you and ordained you as a prophet to the nations'"

"Yes. He did."

"That was Jeremiah's specific purpose. Remember when Jesus read 'Lo, I come in the volume of the book as it is written concerning me, to do Thy will'."

"Yes, I remember."

"That thing Jesus was referring to which was written concerning him was his purpose. Everyone has something written concerning him. You have something written concerning you, Caroline. There's a specific reason you were created. And his purposes are always great. Greater than our dreams and ambitions."

This made a lot of sense.

"If you want to know your purpose, God had placed a lot of pointers in you like your gifts and talents, your likes and dislikes, the things that hurt you or give you joy, all these point you to your purpose."

"Wow, I didn't know this."

"Now, Caroline, I need you to be very honest with yourself. Between Fashion designing and making faces up, which do you love more? Which one comes more naturally to you?"

Caroline didn't need to think twice.

"Fashion designing." She'd pick fashion designing at any time over making faces up. She'd started designing clothes right from when she was a kid without being taught, but she'd started making faces up when she was a teenager and she hadn't even been able to draw an eyebrow without watching tutorial videos. Fashion designing came naturally to her but making faces up didn't. She'd pick fashion designing a hundred times over making faces up.

"I thought as much." Aunt Emni poured the diced carrots into a bowl. "I'll advise you to go for what comes more naturally, not because of the pay but because it's in you. Who knows, God may be trying to lead you to his purpose for your life. And about James Eke, Candid Clicks was running smoothly before you started working there, do you think it'll suddenly crash down because you left? James Eke is already a made man. It's high time you also got made. Do you understand?

"I do." Caroline nodded. Every iota of doubt Caroline had about accepting this job offer was gradually crashing down as she listened to aunt Emni.

"And one more thing." Aunt Emni smiled. "You know you don't need to hear an audible voice before you know God has spoken, right? It may just be a thought in your heart that's in line with scripture or it could be through a dream, it could also be through other people or maybe a video you're watching. God speaks through diverse means."

Caroline was awed at the wisdom coming from her aunt's. Everything she said made complete sense to her. "I've learned a lot from you in so little a time. Thank you, aunt Emni."

"It's what I'm here for, darling."

Aunt Emni glanced at the clock. "Hey, it's twelve already. You should start preparing for lunch. I'll finish things up here."

Caroline wished she could stay and help, but time was not on her side.

"I'll see you later." She said as she went to shower.

~~~

At the sound of the doorbell, Caroline hurried to open the door. Lois Luke was a few minutes early, elegantly dressed as usual. Caroline in her whitewashed jeans and white t-shirt felt intimidated by Lois in her black, leather pencil gown with gold loafers and a matching bag. But Lois' smile told Caroline that she wasn't here for a dressing competition. Lois had taken this meeting serious but Caroline had taken it casual, the way they dressed said it all. Caroline felt like hurrying to change into something else but she knew that would look somehow.

"Caroline." Aunt Emni called from the parlor. "Aren't you going to let her in?"

"Oh." Caroline moved aside making way for Lois. "I'm sorry." She smiled awkwardly causing Lois to laugh.

"Good afternoon, ma." Lois Greeted aunt Emni.

"Welcome, honey." Aunt Emni hugged Lois. "Please have a seat, make yourself comfortable."

"I'll be right back." Caroline rushed to wear her shoes and pack her hair. Packing her hair took more time than necessary because of the nature of her thick hair which was due for relaxing. She picked up her purse and hurried to the parlor. Aunt Emni and Lois were engrossed in whatever they were discussing.

"So, when is the wedding?" Aunt Emni asked.

"In three weeks." Lois grinned.

"Three weeks! That's closer than I expected. I hope the preparations are going well. Have you gotten your gown?"

"Yes. It's one of the most beautiful wedding gowns I've seen. Caroline designed it." She smiled at Caroline.

"Are you serious?" Aunt Emni gave Caroline a questioning look. "You didn't tell me it was her wedding gown you designed."

"I did. You probably forgot."

"No. You didn't. You only said you designed her dress."

"My bad." Caroline smiled.

"Make sure you send me pictures okay? I'd love to see your gown." Aunt Emni said to Lois.

"Pictures?" Lois looked confused. "Aren't you coming?"

"You just said the wedding is strictly by invitation."

"I thought I already invited you." Lois laughed. "I must have been talking too much. I said that because I wanted to know the number of people in your family so I could send a card to each one of them."

"Aww, that's so sweet of you, dearie. But you don't have to."

"I want to." Lois smiled.

"We'll be honored to attend." Aunt Emni smiled.

Caroline glanced at the clock. Fifteen minutes had passed, she was about to sit down when Aunt Emni spoke, as though she had read her mind.

"I've taken much of your time. You guys need to get going."

Lois looked at Caroline. "Ready?"

"Yeah." Caroline nodded.

"Alright." She stood. "Thank you, aunt Emni. This place already feels like home."

Caroline wasn't surprised at the change in the way Lois addressed aunt Emni. Minutes ago, she had called her 'ma'. Now, she called her 'Aunt Emni'. Aunt Emni always had a way of making people comfortable with her; Caroline admired her for that.

~~~

"Place your order, bills on me," Lois said as they reached the counter.

"No, don't worry. I brought some cash with me."

"Come on, this is my treat." Lois insisted.

Caroline smiled. "Thank you."

She ordered jollof rice, salad, and fried chicken while Lois ordered fried rice, salad, and grilled chicken. Soon enough, they were seated and ready to talk about what brought them here which both of them knew of but neither had spoken of.

"I think I owe you an apology," Lois spoke first.

"Why."

"I have a confession." Lois sighed. "It was me who asked Isaac to offer you the job. But I didn't do it to hurt you. I thought I was doing you a favor because, from the way you spoke that day, it seemed as though you wanted to work as a fashion designer. I honestly didn't think you'd reject the offer. I should have at least asked you before going on with my plans. I'm so sorry about that."

Wait. Had Lois deceived her?

"Are you saying that your brother didn't offer me the job because he saw my work and loved it? You talked him into it?" She tried not to let her hurt show.

"No. That's not what I'm saying. My brother did see your work. In fact, when I had brought you up the first time, he shoved your case aside because the highest level of academic qualification you had attained was just secondary School, by then you hadn't even designed the dress. But when he saw the dress you designed, believe me, I didn't need to persuade him because he was bent on having you work for him."

"Oh, I understand." All the hurt she'd felt dissipated. "But why are you apologizing when you did me a favor. I'm supposed to be thanking you."

"But you rejected the job. I should have at least asked you first before taking any step. All this drama could have been avoided."

"No Lois, you did the right thing. I know you were trying to surprise me and honestly, I was happy."

"Really?" Lois looked happy.

Caroline smiled. "Yeah."

"Then what made you reject the offer?"

Lois wouldn't understand. Caroline's faithfulness to James may seem like foolishness to her. She didn't want Lois to think she was dumb.

"Hey, you don't have to tell me it's something confidential. I'll understand."

"No. It's not." Caroline sighed. "It may sound silly to you but if you're in my shoes I think you'll understand me better."

"Try me."

"It's my boss."

"What's up with him?" Lois was looking intently at her.

"Nothing bad. It's just that he's been very nice to me. He always tells me that I'm one of his most competent workers. I feel he'll be disappointed if I leave."

"Oh, I understand. My brother went through this same thing in his former workplace. Do you know what he did?"

"What?"

"He left."

Caroline didn't know what to say. She probably wasn't as strong as Lois' brother.

"Imagine what would have happened if he didn't leave. He wouldn't be where he is now and all the impact he's made on people through the avenue of Jays wears would be nonexistent."

"That's true."

"Your boss didn't just wake up one day and build his studio. He started from somewhere. He probably worked under others before now. Imagine what would have happened if he didn't leave his former boss to pursue his dreams. Candid Clicks Studios would still be in the realm of the imaginations just because someone didn't want to disappoint his boss. Do you understand what I'm trying to say?"

"I do."

"There's a lot God has put inside of you. These things are crying out, waiting to be let loose. It is very obvious that fashion designing is one of them. Are you just going to cage these things down or will you let them out and allow them to lead you to the places God wants to take you?"

Caroline was dumbfounded. It was as though her eyes were opening and she was seeing things better.

"You're very right Lois. I just want to be sure I'm doing the right thing. I want to be sure it's the will of God."

"Have you prayed about it?"

"I've been praying; I haven't gotten any tangible response."

"Just keep your heart open. Don't stop praying." Lois smiled. "You know God should have the final say, don't you? Not me, my brother or your boss."

Caroline nodded.

"Look, inasmuch as I want you to take this job, I'll respect God's counsel. And If He says otherwise, that won't stop us from being friends, will it?"

"Of course not." Caroline laughed. "We're friends forever."

Lois grinned. "High-five?" She raised her hand head-high.

Caroline grinned as they high-fived. She was becoming so comfortable around Lois. It was obvious that Lois cared about her. There was no harm in telling her more things about herself, including the pregnancy.

"There's something I need to tell you."

"What's that?" Lois look turned serious.

"I'm three months pregnant."

The shock on Lois' face didn't do unnoticed by Caroline.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"It's a long story. If I go into details now, I don't think we'll leave anytime soon, but the bottom line is I made a mistake I'll probably regret for the rest of my life. I promise to tell you next time we see. I may even chat you up."

"No problem, whichever way you chose. Just make sure you don't get hard on yourself; you know everybody makes mistakes."

Lois didn't judge her and she couldn't have been more grateful.

"Do you think the pregnancy will in any way reduce my chances of getting the job?"

"No. Not at all. Pregnancy doesn't last a lifetime and as long as it doesn't take away your skills, you're good. Besides, I don't see any bump yet, so we still have time, that's if you decide to accept the offer you know."

"Thank you so much, Lois. I'm lucky to have a friend like you."

"I'm also lucky to have you." Lois smiled.

They finished their lunch and Lois gave Caroline a ride back home. She showed her Isaac's house which was just a stone throw from Caroline's. Caroline was excited to know that. She couldn't wait to meet the Isaac Luke she'd heard so much about. She wondered if he looked in any way like Lois. If he did. Then he must have been a very handsome man because Lois was the epitome of pulchritude.

Caroline felt much better that night. She was no longer confused as to what to do. She remembered the two scriptures that had filled her thoughts. God might have been the one speaking through her through those verses. Aunt Emni said God also spoke through people. God may have been speaking to her through aunt Emni and Lois.

Father, if it's your will for me to accept this job offer, please make it easy for James Eke to let me go.

Caroline slept like a baby that night, not knowing what will behold her in her workplace on Monday morning.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

802 94 12
Remi knows what she's doing is wrong but she can't seem to stay away from it. As a Christian being raised by virtuous parents it eats her up whenever...
50.1K 6.7K 37
Jeanette Arthur had no idea what was going to happen to her when they opened the doors. Was she going to die? Or would she wish she was dead? She be...
22.7K 3.2K 23
Family may break you, but there are strangers that will walk you through the journey of healing and help you find the light. After the death of Mary'...
11.1K 2K 44
A story of love between two hearts, struggling to blossom and a family trying to find Christ through all their struggles and dark times. With every o...