Cool Mom

me_Tehreem által

Emma, Daniel and Hazel are The Aarons. They have everything one could dream of: money, family and love. But e... Több

1: Valentine's Day
2: Packing
3: Paris!
4: Sausages
5: Eiffel Tower
6: Souvenirs
7: Morning
8: Shopping
9: Date Night
10: Disneyland
11: Sick Hazel
12: Tess's call
13: Phil
14: Last Day
15: Back Home
16: Normal Day
17: Morgan's Birthday
18: Brother's Teasing
19: Picnic
20: Dinner With Friends
21: Parents Arrive
22: Dinner With Parents
23: I'll Never Forget You
24: Baby
25: Mom Knows All
26: Date At Meeting
27: Tess's Past
28: School Visit
29: Swimming Contest
30: Amusement Park
31: Job Offer
32: Spa Day
33: Aftermath
34: Night Talk
35: Some Quite
36: Cake For Hazel
37: Annual Dinner
38: Taken
39: Tense Night
40: Hazel's Return
41: Reassurance
42: The Police Calls
43: Office Visit
44: Conflict
45: Court Day
46: Decision
47: Night After
48: Second Contest
49: Mia
50: Long Night
51: Maui
52: Beach Day
53: Helicopter Ride!
54: Memories
55: Important Talk
56: Hazel's School
57: Orientation
58: First Day Of School
59: McDonald's Picnic
60: Hospital
61: Revelation
62: The Diagnosis
63: Sickness And Health
64: Miami
65: Meeting In Miami
66: Late Night Pharmacy Run
67: Second Time
68: Big Girl
69: Tess Arrives
70: Hazel's Birthday
71: A Fright
72: Pizza Hut
73: Dire News
74: Direr News
75: Visitors
76: Another Visitor
77: Emma Steps In
78: Office Day
79: Hazel's PTM
80: Christmas Day
81: Daniel's Home
82: New Year's Party
83: Girl Or Boy?
84: Big Sister
85: Carnival
86: Swimming Championship
87: Relay Championship
88: Hair Day
89: Delivery Operation
90: Sebastian Aaron
91: Sebastian's Home
92: Under 10s Nationals
93: Toulouse
94: Graduation Day
95: The H. Program
96: Official Portrait
97: Bern
98: Dress Fittings
100: Epilogue
Author's Note
Sequel Is Up!

99: Tess's Wedding

1K 25 2
me_Tehreem által

The day is bright and sunny, the perfect Swiss weather. On days like these, Tess and I used to play in the field at the back or go for bike rides together. As we grew older, we would head into the heart of the city and have brunch at our favorite café near the river front. Where those days were slow and lazy, today is a busy day because it's wedding day.

The extended Kensinger family, from all over Europe is back in Bern for the wedding and thankfully they all stay in their houses and hotels. The bungalow despite its size feels overcrowded on the day of the wedding. With Daniel, me, mom, dad, Hazel, Sebastian, Tess and her five friends in the house, it's alive with activity,

We all have a late breakfast and Tess is the first one to head to her room as soon as her stylist arrives to start getting ready for her big day. Her bride's maids too soon trickle out of the dining room to help her and themselves get ready.

While mom and dad have always stayed away from hiring help for the house, they handed over the responsibility of food for today to a catering company. So we all leave the dining room so that the servers can clear the dining room and kitchen.

Mom and dad head to their bedroom to get dressed too.

"I think I'm going to change because I have to video call Jeremy about some things." Daniel says as the four of us climb the stairs to the two bedrooms that we're occupying. Daniel and I are using a guest bedroom and Hazel took over my old room since it only had a single bed.

"I'll dress Sebastian and then you two can use Hazel's room while we get ready." I suggest and Daniel agrees. So while he showers and changes in the bathroom, I get hold of Sebastian and change him out of his night suit into a little black tuxedo. It's a white t-shirt with a black jacket and pants and then little white canvas shoes.

He's about to wriggle out of his jacket when Daniel emerges from the bathroom, dressed in a black tuxedo too.

For a moment I'm stunned at the reminder of how dashing Daniel looks in a Tuxedo. Daniel winks at me, making me blush and I turn back to the wriggling Sebastian.

"Seb! Look at daddy!" I tell my son who at the word "daddy" turns his head to look at Daniel.

Daniel takes him from me and calms him down before they leave for Hazel's room and Hazel joins me soon after.

"Seb looks so cute!" She squeals, making me laugh

"You'll look beautiful in your dress." I smile and kiss her cheek.

We both showered when we woke up this morning so our hair is dry by now. We agree that we should start with our hair. Hazel decides on tight curls around the tips of her hair and then I'll pin them back. Once I finish, I grab the white flower clips I got her in Pasadena and snap them in place, over the black bobby pins as Tess had insisted that the bride's maids and flower girls wear white flowers in their hair.

I let Hazel sit on the bed and take a break while I quickly curl my own hair which I have mastered over the years and decide to let it hang around my shoulders. Then I do my make up before instructing Hazel to put on her dress. She puts it on and I button up her back. She looks stunning!

I ask her if wants any make up on and we decide on light pink blush to give color to her cheeks and a nice neutral shade of gloss for her lips.

I let Hazel put on her matching pink shoes while I go into the bathroom to put on my own dress. Luckily, the dress that I picked out for myself was also a light shade of pink. So I match with Hazel.

I sit down on the vanity stool in the bathroom and put on my heels before stepping back into the room.

"Wow!" Hazel's mouth hangs open as she looks at me.

"Thank you, Bunny." I kiss her cheek as I grab my purse and put in my phone, credit card and tissues. With children you can never have enough tissues on hand.

I then help Hazel put on her necklace, the gift from us on her fourth birthday. Finally with one quick selfie to approve of how we look, I take Hazel's hand and walk to the room next door, only to find it empty.

We're halfway down the stairs when I hear Daniel say, "Oh wow!"

I smile as Hazel runs ahead of me and Daniel lifts her into his arms off the last step. "Bunny, you look so beautiful!"

"Thank you, daddy." She smiles at him as he kisses her cheek and sets her down before turning to me.

"What did I do to deserve not one but two stunning girls?" He mulls, wrapping his arm around my waist.

"Well, you did marry me." I say, making us both laugh as Daniel pulls me closer and presses a kiss to my lips.

"The love birds are ready!" I hear dad call out from the stairs and I'm forced to pull away from Daniel.

"I can see that." Mom says from behind him.

"You look beautiful." Mom says, pulling me into a hug.

"Definitely not as pretty as my mother." I smile as mom looks radiant in her subtle grey dress.

"And Hazel!" Mom exclaims pulling Hazel into the hug too.

"So, we were thinking that Daniel, Sebastian and the two of us can head to the church before guests start to arrive and you and Hazel can accompany Tess, in case she needs anything." Dad tells us.

"I'll drive." Daniel offers, picking up Sebastian who waves Hazel and me goodbye. Once they're gone, I turn to Hazel, "Shall we go check on Aunty Tess?"

"Yes!" Hazel eagerly nods.

I find Tess's friends in the ground floor hallway, outside the bedroom where Tess is getting ready. They're all already dressed in their matching pink bride's maid dresses.

"Did she kick you all out?" I ask, making them all laugh.

The maid of honor shakes her head, "She said she needed a minute alone. The stylist just left."

"Tess is ready?" I ask and get nods in reply.

I knock on the door and hear Tess say, "Just a minute."

"It's Emma!" I call out.

There's a moment's silence before she asks me to come in. The bride's maids want pictures with Hazel so I leave her outside with them and open the bedroom door to step inside.

I'm not entirely shocked to find Tess looking frightened.

Without a word I walk over to where she's sitting on the bed and sit down next to her. I wrap an arm around her shoulders and she rests on head on mine. We sit in silence for a few minutes before I pull away my arm to face her.

"Wedding jitters?" And thankfully she nods.

"It's okay, I was nervous too on my wedding day. I'm sure you of all people remember." Tess laughs at the memory of me pacing the length of the hotel suite that I got ready in. "But at the end what got me through was Daniel. It's just the part till the aisle. Once Daniel was holding my hand, it felt as if the whole world had fallen into place."

Tess nods in agreement before asking, "Do I look okay?"

"Okay?!" I exclaim, "Tess, you look like an angel!"

This gets a laugh out of her and she gives me a hug. Then I stand up and hold out a hand to her, "Let's go?"

She nods and I open the bedroom door for her.

Hazel is the only one hasn't seen Tess yet and her jaw drops to the floor.

"Do I look pretty?" Tess asks, kneeling down in front of her as I silently pray that she doesn't get her dress dirty.

Hazel nods, speechless. Tess laughs and kisses Hazel's cheek as she stands up. I notice a cameraman out of the corner of my eye and she's wearing the uniform of the photography group that Tess and Phil decided on for their wedding pictures. Candid ones like these will probably be the best.

Tess's limousine is waiting outside the front door and her friends help her walk to the car and then get in. They all clamber in after her from the other door and Hazel and I follow suit.

The church where the ceremony will be held is on the on the other end of the city, some distance away from the hustle and bustle of city life.

Upon arrival, I leave Hazel with Tess and the others and head inside to inform everyone that the bride has arrived. I greet guests as I beeline towards where I can see dad and Daniel.

"Tess is here." I tell dad who at once starts for the church entrance. Then I turn to Daniel, "Do you know where mom is?"

He points to the front of the church where she's talking to Phil and his parents.

Before I can walk away, Daniel grabs my hand and pulls me back, "Wish Hazel good luck for me?"

I smile at him and kiss his cheek, "Of course."

I inform Phil and mom of Tess's arrival, then grab Sophia from Lily and lead her outside to join the others. They've all stepped out of the limo by now and dad is gushing over Tess.

As everyone takes their places, I crouch down in front of Hazel, "Daddy said good luck."

Hazel is beaming with excitement as she gives me a quick hug before taking her place in the middle of the procession. Once I'm sure that everyone is ready I head back into the church. By now everyone has settled down and the groom and groomsmen have taken their places.

I give Phil a quick thumbs up, making him laugh as I join mom and Daniel in the front to the right side of the aisle.

Mom sits at the end of the aisle with an empty seat for dad between her and me and then Daniel next to me with Sebastian in his arms. Seb is calmly observing the happenings from his father's arms.

The music changes and soon the bride's maids walk down the aisle, followed by the flower girls. I wave at Hazel from my seat who smiles and waves back as she accepts a hug from Phil and takes her place at the church podium next to the maid of honor, while Sophia goes to stand next to the best man.

The music changes and we rise for Tess. I'm sure no one else notices but I can tell that mom read the tension in Tess's posture. I step forward and link arms with mom as we together watch dad and Tess walk up to Phil and then dad gives her away.

As Tess joins Phil, dad walks back to us and the guests take their seats.

"I already want to cry." I whisper to Daniel as we sit down.

He silently wraps an arm around my waist and pulls me closer to him, letting me know that he'll be here if I do start crying.

And sure enough by the time the ceremony ends, I'm sobbing. The newlywed couple leave the church and Hazel runs back to me. I wipe away the happy tears, carefully so that I don't smudge my makeup.

"You were wonderful!" I say, hugging Hazel.

In a few hours the wedding reception is in full swing. Tess did a wonder job with the event planners on transforming the barn they chose into a cozy wedding reception.

I'm sitting at a table to one side of the room, resting my feet. I did not sit down for a few hours straight as I have been meeting extended family members who I haven't talked to in years. And I'm constantly introduced to new members of Phil's family.

Hazel is sitting with me eating a big slice of wedding cake while Sebastian has dozed off in my arms. I spot mom chatting with some of her friends and dad talking to Phil's father. Tess and Phil are laughing with their friends from university.

I sigh and look down at Sebastian in my arms when Daniel joins us.

"How's the cake, Bunny?" He asks, sitting down next to her.

"It's good." She says through a mouthful and gives him a thumbs up for emphasis.

"When did Sebastian fall asleep?" He asks.

"About half an hour ago." I reply, tightening my arms around my sleeping son.

Suddenly the song changes to 'Shut Up and Dance' and Daniel turns to me, a grin on his face.

"Don't even remind me." I groan, burying my face in Seb's hair. What happens in college, stays in college.

"Seb's awake!" Hazel announces and I realize I must have been moving too much.

"Seb, do you want to dance?" Hazel asks, hoping off her chair. Sebastian allows Hazel to help him off my lap and then lead him to the dance floor.

I smile at the two of them as they hold hands and dance to the song.

"I've been meaning to ask you." We both say at the same time.

I laugh and say, "You first."

"That can we make a pit stop in Paris before returning home?" He asks.

I smile at him, "That's what I was going to ask."

"Really?" Daniel asks.

I nod, "There's an architectural summit that PERKINS + WILLIS wants me to attend on their behalf." Then take a sip of the water in front of me.

Daniel sighs dramatically, "I just really miss my darling Jeremy."

I spit out the water onto the floor we both burst out laughing. "I hate you!"

"No, you love me." Daniel cocks his head and smiles innocently.

I shake my head at him and kiss his cheek just as Tess's maid of honor takes the microphone and announces that it is time for speeches.

Phil's older sister and I will make speeches and then the maid of honor and the best man will. Hazel and Sebastian walk back to us as Phil's sister begins her speech. We all applaud for her when she finishes and then it's my turn. Daniel gives my hand a little squeeze as I get up from my chair and make my way to the front of the crowd.

"Hello, I'm Emma, Tess's older sister. Tess actually forgot to tell me that I would be making a speech tonight until we arrived at the reception. So, here I am with my jumbled thoughts."

"I understand that most of you would expect the focus of my speech to be Tess but I'm sure that over the course of nineteen years that we lived together and twenty four years that we've known each other, I've told her plenty how much I love her."

"The real focus of my speech is you Phil, my new brother. Tess can go over the top sometimes, ESPECIALLY when it comes to something special. She brought in twenty inflated pink balloons into the hospital room when Hazel was born and popped two right in her ear. Hazel dear, Aunty Tess is the reason you're still scared of popping sounds. So, Phil consider yourself warned."

This makes everyone laugh.

"To keep you all from dozing off, I just want to let you know Phil that respect Tess and she'll be the most amazing partner you could ever have asked for. Disrespect her and you'll have me to answer to."

"And me!" Daniel calls out.

"And Daniel."  I add, amidst whoops, cheers and laughter.

"I hope you two find the happiness that you very well deserve. Cheers to Tess and Phil's happy marriage!"

Everyone raise their glasses and cheer as I hand the microphone to the best man and make my way back to Daniel and the kids. Daniel wraps an arm around my waist and I lean into him as we listen to the rest of the speeches.

The party continues late into the night until it's time for Tess and Phil to catch their flight to the Maldives, their chosen honeymoon destination. They change out of their wedding clothes in the farmhouse on the property and then say goodbye to the guests before leaving for the airport.

Hazel and Sebastian fall asleep on the way back home and I slip my heels off in the car as my feet cry in relief. Daniel and I are discussing the date we should leave for Paris when I suddenly spot a shop that brings back a memory.

"Daniel can we stop at that chocolate shop?" I ask, pointing towards the one I spotted.

"Sure." He says and stops the car in front of the shop.

"I'll be back in a minute." I tell him and hop out of the car.

I purchase the chocolate that I had in mind and then go back to the waiting car. The children are still asleep when I get back into the car.

"Sudden chocolate craving?" Daniel asks, looking at the box in my hand.

"No and you'll know why. Here have one." When I open the box, I see his eyes go wide.

"No way." He shakes his head and takes one out of the box, "Are these the same ones?"

"Yup. This is the shop that I used to get them from." I tell him.

When Daniel and I started dating in university, I used to get this specific chocolate from Bern every summer and winter when I came home and would take some back with me to America. But when Daniel and I started going out, he would gobble all my stock in a few days and then I'd have to ask mom and dad to have more sent over.

"I'm pretty sure I've been through tones of this chocolate." Daniel laughs, taking his third piece and I chew on mine and I nod in agreement, "Mhmm."

"I should never have offered you one." I shake my head at him.

He turns serious all of a sudden, "If you hadn't offered me that box of chocolates when you did, I would have just passed my low sugar level as late night dizziness and I could've died."

I gape at him, "You had low sugar level that night?!"

"Yes." He nods, "I went to the hospital after I met you and they told me that."

"You could've died." I whisper, tears in my eyes and surprised at how big an impact something that happened eight years ago can have on me.

"But I didn't because I was led to you and we were destined to be star crossed lovers." The end makes me smile before I can no longer hold back my laughter.

I bite my tongue and look at the backseat but neither of the children have moved a muscle.

"I really miss university sometimes." I sigh.

"So many firsts for us." Daniel says, reminiscing the moments.

I lean across the car's console and kiss him, "I love you, Daniel."

"I love you, Emma." He kisses me back before pulling back and pressing his forehead to mine.

OMG 1 CHAPTER LEFT!!!

This was the longest chapter I've ever written for Cool Mom :')

-T

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

7.6M 289K 48
She is fiery, hot-headed and spontaneous. He is calm, composed and calculating. She is fire, burning every obstacle in her path. He is ice, numbing h...
72.9K 2.3K 46
We know the story of Emma Swan, mother of Henry, daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming. But what about the story of Elias Swan, father of Henry...
15.6K 391 75
When Emma moves back home after dropping out of med school, she is not excited to share a house with her mother again. They do not get along, and she...
207K 8.8K 40
Single Mother Emma Swan (32) needs to start over after her baby daddy leaves her. Emma takes the Promotion she has been waiting for. Though it was fa...