Half Magic | Book 2

By SabrinaBlackburry

Book 2 of the Wylde Series Thank you @AWFrasier for the amazing cover! Wren has come out of the Wyldes with m... More

Author's Intro
One: Sulls
Two: Markings and Mysteries
Three: Waiting
Four: A Friend of a Friend
Five: Oracle
Six: Supplies
Seven: To Cross a Desert
Eight: The Sands
Nine: A Storm of Sand
Ten: Mist in the Desert
Eleven: Empty Sorrow
Twelve: Forward
Thirteen: Horses
Fourteen: The Shaman
Fifteen: The Stone of Souls
Sixteen: A Curse
Seventeen: Seeping Souls
Eighteen: A Storm of Souls
Nineteen: Redemption
Twenty: Leaving the Sands
Twenty One: Follow the Birds
Twenty Two: The Witches
Twenty Three: Mila
Twenty Four: A Familiar Face
Twenty Five: Different Magics
Twenty Six: The Half Witch
Twenty Seven: Lessons to Learn
Twenty Eight: A Bath in the Valley
Twenty Nine: The Healer
Thirty: Sleep
Thirty One: The Sleeping Spell
Thirty Two: On the Trail
Thirty Three: Meditation Revelation
Thirty Four: Shadow of Ice
Thirty Five: The Gathering
Thirty Six: The Mother's Healers
Thirty Seven: Chasing Lark
Thirty Eight: Finding the Forest
Forty: Kalor
Forty One: The Elven Children
Forty Two: The Garden
Forty Three: Decisions
Forty Four: A Meeting of Importance
Forty Five: Kalor's Daughter
Forty Six: A Black Night
Forty Seven: An Agreement of Elves
Forty Eight: Half Elf Expectations
Forty Nine: Study and Practice
Fifty: Monsters Among Elves
Fifty One: Unlocking Secrets
Fifty Two: A Night of Stories
Fifty Three: Whole
Fifty Four: We Three
Fifty Five: Going Home

Thirty Nine: Eidelhein

7.8K 956 133
By SabrinaBlackburry

I burned with questions as we walked through the rain. It was hard not to spew them all out, but with the curious looks from what I discovered were other half elves, I decided against it. At least until we were safely inside somewhere warm and dry and private.

Teyber had insisted I take his cloak, despite my protests that I had one of my own. He said theirs were treated for the rains they were accustomed to here, and in the end I wore a cloak that was about three sizes too big.

And Teyber himself was a mystery. I knew he had spent time with Lark, but his origins were a curiosity for me. He had long, dark hair twisted in thick locks, but under them I caught glimpses of ears like mine. He had seen his share of battles and had the scars to prove it. I hadn't seen so many scars since Thain, and even by fae standards Thain was old. If anything, it just made me more curious about Teyber. Apart from his rugged clothes and long hair, he kept a mostly shaven chin and wore little adornment except for a thin chain around his neck that held a thin ring on it.

We walked, darting from tree to tree to avoid the bulk of the rain. But even that didn't take us far until we were pulled to a twisting trunk that was bigger than the ones around it. Into the side had been fastened a swirling staircase that wound around the tree.

"Are you all comfortable with heights?" Teyber asked.

"I think so, are we climbing the tree?" I asked.

"Caw!" Puko took off, swirling around the stairs and up into the canopy.

Teyber laughed. "I guess that is a yes."

It was pretty clear that the half elves were still suspicious of Nassir and Schula. They didn't say as much, but the expression of the woman who had first spoken to us was of pure dislike, and she refused to be anywhere but the back of the line, watching them the whole way. But we proceeded anyway, Nassir and Schula saying as little as possible as we went.

The stairs took us up, and up, and up into the branches. I hadn't thought myself someone bothered by heights before, but the ground below continued to drift away and I realized I had never been this high up before.

"Where exactly is this place we're going to?" I asked, resisting the urge to reach in front of me and hold onto Teyber for assurance. Schula squeezed my hand, helping me feel somewhat better but not completely dispelling my unease.

"Eidelhein is only accessible from above. You will see when we get there," Teyber said, amusement plain on his face. "It won't be far."

I nodded and focused on where to put my feet, which was easier on the stairs then when I realized we would be walking between the trees on paths that had been placed in the high branches. There was a thin rope strung over the narrow wooden paths, and we were expected to hold onto it with a hand to stay upright.

"Don't look down and you will be fine," Teyber said.

I noticed that none of the half elves used the rope, and neither did Teyber. They may have been showing off, or they may just be that comfortable in the trees. Puko was happy to swirl and glide around us, especially after the rain overhead stopped and all we were left with was the wet drips off the tree leaves.

The rest of the journey remained in the trees. It felt longer than it probably was, considering the alarm and unfamiliarity with the high paths. Finally, we reached a break in the canopy. Ahead I could see a tree that climbed up high to a steep plateau where I could just make out evidence of more people.

It was a shock to see. The trees, and the buildings. Almost familiar buildings that were made from stones and clay and wound through the trees in a natural way, much like the buildings in the Wyldes were constructed to flow with the nature around them. They were beautiful, no surface was left unadorned. Colorful paintings and carvings were everywhere. As we grew closer, I could see the shear size of the structures too. Everything was grandly and elegantly built.

"Is this Eidelhein?" I asked.

"It is." Teyber grinned. "Beautiful, isn't she?"

"Very," Schula said. "But will we receive the same welcome we did from you earlier?"

"No, not with me here," Teyber promised. "But Wren, I need you to draw the hood of my cloak. Just for now, all will be told soon. And the rest of you, stay silent of what you've seen."

"Of course, Teyber," the woman from before said. "I would rather cut out my own tongue than betray your secrets."

I glanced back at her. Her face was serious, and so were the others. What a grim thing to say, but I didn't question it. These half elves were obviously disciplined, and loyal to Teyber. Perhaps to a fault.

We followed Teyber along the treetop paths, and then they reached the tree that climbed up high enough to reach the plateau. Another staircase wound around it, and with each step my stomach knotted up. This was it, this was Eidelhein.

I took my last step off the top of the stairs and onto a solid bridge that crossed the short gap from tree to solid ground. I took in the sight before me, the first real look at Eidelhein, with my breath caught in my throat.

The buildings were gorgeous. On either side of the bridge was a thin waterfall that flowed from a lazy stream that wound from a lake furthur into the city. And it was a city. Not as big as Thanantholl or Dwellonmar or Icehold. But it was a city for sure. There were nearly as many buildings built into the trees as there were on the ground. It all looked to be parts from the same design. The curve of the rooftops, the shape of the bricks. Even the chosen colors for what things were painted. There were flowers everywhere. Blues and yellows were the dominate colors, apart from the greens and browns and grays of the natural building materials.

It was stunning, and it told the story of a peaceful, hidden gem inside a vast, ancient forest.

"Welcome to Eidelhien," Teyber said. "Follow me."

He lead us across the bridge and through the cobbled street. Everything had an air of sophistication to it. It felt so formal, yet people lived here. No, half elves lived here.

I saw the ears everywhere. In windows. By fountains. At the lake. Not sparing me a second glance, but staring openly at Schula and Nassir. There were some humans too, but they were the minority by far.

Teyber didn't stop in the city though. He wound us around part of the lake, to where a grander stronghold sat. There were more people in green cloaks standing guard outside. The building was just as formal and elegant as anything else we had seen so far. My stomach churned as we approached.

He was able to walk us through with no question. Puko didn't come with us though, he instead chose to fly up to the roof and keep his own watch instead. The guards in cloaks glanced at Schula and Nassir as we passed, but didn't say anything. We walked into a grand entry hall, and Teyber stopped.

"You are dismissed. This next part I will have to do alone," he said.

The others in the green cloaks must have known he was addressing them, because they each gave a hand sign over their foreheads and went off in different directions. We were alone with Teyber, and once the other half elves were out of sight, he walked us forward.

Down a long hall and around one corner, Teyber stopped at a heavy wooden door. It was elaborately carved, depicting a giant tree with five branches.

"Allow me to go in first, please," Teyber said.

We had no argument, and he opened the thick door and stepped inside, closing it behind him.

Not that we couldn't hear every word.

"What is it, Teyber?" a lighter voice said. A chill ran down my spine. I had heard this voice once before. Much like I knew Teyber through Lark's visions, I knew this voice.

"I need you to remain calm, friend. And if you would consider not slaying me where I stand, I would appreciate that too." Teyber sounded cautious, not the merry giant I had known for the last hour.

"Should I be worried, Teyber?" The voice asked.

"I have brought two fae into Eidelhein," Teyber said. "It was unavoidable, but I promise you we welcome them."

"Fae? Not high fae?" The voice sounded panicked.

"Calm down, Kalor," Teyber said firmly. "I don't know how to... Kalor, Nassir is here."

Silence.

"I know, but I promise you, it's him," Teybor said softly. "And, there is someone else with him. Do you think you're ready to meet?"

"Yes, yes let them in," Kalor said, shock evident in his voice.

The door opened slowly, and Teyber gave us a tired look as he ushered us inside. He looked to me and tugged my hood down lower. "Soon," he whispered to me.

We had been taken into a comfortable room that was more of a library than anything else. Plush carpets lined the wood floor, a small hearth was alive and dancing in the corner, despite the warm air outside. I could barely tell the walls were made of stone with all the shelves that lined the place. There were two overstuffed sofas facing each other in the middle of the room, and even those had books on them. One of the only surfaces not covered by books was the desk covered in scrolls.

And in the middle of it all, stood a tall man. He was regal, holding himself elegantly but still somehow feeling warm. Friendly. He had straight brown hair, swept back from his face. He had a sharp nose, hawk eyes, thick brows, and... familiar gray eyes. His ears had a similar curve to them as mine, but they were a little different. A bit longer, a bit sharper.

But he wasn't looking at me. He was staring at the fae. He seemed at a loss for words, so Nassir spoke first.

"I am Nassir. I can see why Lark would have taken to you." Nassir smiled, sadly.

That seemed to snap Kalor out of his stupor. "How... how..."

"This is my friend, Schula. She is..." Nassir looked to me, then Schula. "You know of Lark's triquetram?"

Kalor nodded.

"This is... his daughter. But she is not like him at all. She is a close friend, and part of why I am still here."

Kalor didn't know how to take that one. He was visibly alarmed at the confession, but he pulled himself back together well. "It is... nice to meet you, Schula."

Schula snorted. "That's one of the better greetings I've gotten after telling someone who my father is."

That eased Kalor quite a bit. He even smiled. "I don't mean to seem unwelcoming, I'm just a bit shocked is all. Please, have a seat. Let me get you some refreshments, I want to hear everything."

Teyber cleared his throat. "Kalor, I do have one other person for you to meet. May we use your private rooms for this one?"

Kalor gave Teyber a curious look, but nodded and walked toward a door I hadn't noticed by a bookshelf. "Of course, old friend. Please, excuse me a moment."

Teyber nodded to me, his expression grim. I gave Nassir and Schula one last glance as I followed them into the next room.

The new chamber was a bedroom. A large bedroom, but a bedroom. The canopied bed sat in the corner, and the rest of the room was filled with yet more books. If I wasn't so nervous, I would have smiled at the image. From what I gathered of Lark, it was hard to picture her with such a quiet scholarly figure. But somehow it all fit. I could picture Lark leading the way, and Kalor happy to follow.

My heart pounded as he looked at me briefly, and back to Teyber. "What is it?"

"Kalor, stay calm." Teyber came over to me and gently took the edges of the hood, sliding them down slowly to show Kalor my face. My hair. My ears. My eyes. My trembling mouth as I struggled to keep my breath even.

"She named her Wren," Teyber said softly. Then, he slipped out the door behind us.

My eyes watered, and Kalor's eyes watered. He sank into a nearby bench, just staring at me. And I stared back. His eyes were my eyes. I knew it the moment I saw him. And I knew how I looked like Lark, it was plain as day.

"H-hello," I said.

Kalor sprung into action. He stood, and walked straight for me where he wrapped me in a hug. A ferocious hug that pulled out my tears. I thought I was empty of them when I met Teyber, but I was wrong. So wrong.

I cried freely in Kalor's chest. He stroked the top of my head. Suddenly I was a little girl again, crying for comfort and clinging to Bryn. Only it wasn't Bryn this time, it was my father. My birth father. There would be no way for Kalor to take Bryn's place, but he had shown me in the few minutes I had seen him that he had a place of his own in my heart that I didn't even know about, and he was more than willing to fill it.

"Wren, my Wren," he whispered, kissing the top of my head. "Where have you been, my sweet daughter?"

I wiped my eyes on Teyber's cloak and pulled back enough to answer him. "I didn't know. I... didn't know."

I started crying again, and Kalor joined me.

Kalor whispered sweet things to me as he held me tight. We sat on the bench nearby, Kalor practically cradling me as I finished crying.

A girl.

And her father.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

303K 30.8K 59
Fearing for Will's life, Alex crosses the Rim to save him from the Rhean monarchy, but the dark truths awaiting her will make her question everything...
778K 60.7K 53
Half-blooded Wren escapes her old life among humans to go live with the fae. After a warm welcome, Wren slowly begins to accept herself for who she i...
192 0 114
Tags: Romantic Fantasy, Intrigue, Royal Family, Sexy shifter smex, Love triangle angst, Fierce characters Summary: Mikah Aux Duvrex, Princess of t...
365 33 11
Hey so this the sequel to my previous book, "Not just Mortal and Fae". After escaping Under the Mountain and finding herself in the Night Court, Sure...