The Deadly Trials

By MadisonYuresko

Princes with dark pasts, girls out for vengeance, and creatures with a thirst for blood. These trials may liv... More

Copyright
summary + aesthetics
«prelude»
1.1 | Invite
1.2 | Invite
2 | Chameleon
3 | Numbered
4 | Hamster on a Wheel
5 | Twelve | rune
6 | Royal Gardener
7 | Melting Sugar
8.1 | Lava
8.2 | Lava
9 | Second Impressions | rune
10 | Fire Wall
11 | Rewards
12.1 | Splash
12.2 | Splash
13 | Water Droplets | rune
14 | Lightheaded
15 | Cruel Illusions
16 | A Fickle Thing | rune
17 | Tiny Flowers
18 | It's Too Late
19 | Flowers and Light | rune
20 | Named
21 | Abandon
22 | Faerie Hides and Castle Trinkets
23.1 | Fairy Light Festivals
23.2 | Fairy Light Festivals
24 | Reciprocation | rune
25 | Like Snow
26 | Dance
27 | Something Fluttered
28.1 | Then So Shall It Be
28.2 | Then So Shall It Be
29 | Bad Emotions | rune
30 | Heartbeat | Heartbreak
31 | Princess
32 | The Fire's Gone
33 | Simplified
34.1 | A Wish on a Flower
35 | I Could

34.2 | A Wish on a Flower

116 11 11
By MadisonYuresko

// a wish on a flower | part 02 //

I caught Annalyse's eye, and she gave a tiny nod. I swallowed, set my spoon in my empty cereal bowl, and said, "Mom, I'm not going to college."

    She dropped the cup she had been washing, splashing water. She whipped around, hands dripping. "What was that?"

    "I already talked to Dad about it, and he said it's okay." I played with the sleeves of my thin cotton sweater. "That I don't go to college."

    "Why aren't you going?" She put her hands on her hips and scowled.

    "I've never wanted to, Mom. It's always been what you've wanted for me, not what I want for myself."

    "Of course it's what I want for you!" She shook her head. "Getting a college degree is necessary in today's day and age. And someday, not even a bachelor's degree will be enough. You'll get better offers and opportunities with a degree under your belt."

    I bit back a smile. She had no idea of the opportunities waiting for me in Eternity.

    "I have opportunities, Mom."

    "Yeah? Like what? Dancing?"

    "They're amazing opportunities."

    "No." She turned to the sink again.

    "What?"

    "You're going to college and that's final." She picked up the cup to rewash it. "I'm not going to let you throw your life away because you don't want to leave home."

    Annalyse removed her spoon from her mouth and added, "But she's going to leave Oregon, Mom."

    When Mom rounded on her, eyebrows furrowed, my sister quickly shoved the spoon back in her mouth and shrunk in her seat. Mom turned to me, glaring. "So you're not going to college, but you're leaving anyway?"

    I also slid down in my seat. My voice shook as I said, "Yes. There's — there's a political activism position available out of town. And, well, actually, this guy I met at camp lives there too."

    When she dropped the plastic cup this time, it hit the floor, bouncing and clattering. Her nostrils flared and her eyes became hard as ice. "Absolutely not, young lady. There is no way I'm letting you throw away your future and your life for some boy you met at camp. Your education is far more important than some summer fling. I thought I'd raised you better than that."

She rose to her full height, nose tilted up. "You're going to college, and that's final."

    Before she could return to the dishes as if nothing happened, I stood up. "Mom, this is my life. I can make my own decisions, especially about how to live it. And I know this is disappointing and you're just worried about me. But I'll be okay. And — I'm not going to college. That's final."

    We glowered at each other until I huffed and stomped from the kitchen. Mom followed, but Dad appeared at the bottom of the stairs, smiling. He caught Mom by the elbow and said, "Krysta, let's talk in private."

    He guided her upstairs, and once I heard a door click, I bounded to my room and started to pack for Eternity.

    Mari buried her head in my shoulder and squeezed me tightly. "I can't believe you're off to protest unfair practices around the world."

    I laughed. "I'm starting off at a much smaller scale than that."

    Evette shook her head. "And you're off to protest with some boy. I thought you were above all that." She cast me a teasing smile.

    "She's secretly a romantic." Mari rubbed my arm.

    "Well," Evette said, hooking her arm around my neck, "our old Belline is back, and that's really what matters. We were worried for a long time there. But now it seems like you're back to your old self. Obviously this activism thing — and this guy — are good for you."

    Mari held a fist up, trying to look intimidating — a look she would never achieve."Speaking of this guy, he'd better treat you like a queen, or he'll have to answer to us!"

    I laughed in spite of myself.

    Donovan sidled up beside me and nudged me. "Liar."

    "What?"

    He shot me a lopsided smile. "You said you didn't meet anyone at camp."

    I lifted my index finger. "Technically, I never said that."

    "You also said you were going through with the college thing."

    I shrugged a shoulder. "I sucked it up and dealt with the lecture."

    With a playful growl, he chased after me, and the four of us played an impromptu game of tag. It soon turned into a tour of our old haunts: the high school, a couple cafés, the mall, several parks. By the time we looped back, the sun was setting, painting the sky a candy orange.

    We sat in the grass, watching the sunset against the horizon. Mari laid her head on my shoulder, and Donovan tapped his foot to mine. Evette settled on the grass, face to the sky.

    "I can't believe you leave tomorrow," Mari said into the still air.

    "It's surreal, isn't it?" Donovan said, glancing between us. "Our lives are changing directions, whether off to college or careers or into the vast unknown."

    A smile tugged at my lips. "It's exciting though, taking the next step."

    After a brief silence, Mari asked, "Hey, Belline? Will we get to meet this mystery guy you met at camp?"

    "I'll make sure of it."

    As the sun dipped behind the trees, I imagined Prince Rune among the sights of Portland. Even in my imagination, he stuck out like a sore thumb. I chuckled to myself.

    When the sun arose next, I would be wishing on a flower. I would return to Eternity, to explore what I'd left unexplored, to bring hope to a despairing land, to thrust myself outside my comfort zone to finally live my life.

    I couldn't stop smiling.

    "Simply hold the flower and make your wish, and it will obey," I whispered to the air, electrified with anticipation. I sucked in a deep breath, heart pounding and toes tapping. I lifted onto pointe, lowered, on, off, joints popping.

    While the note did come with instructions, they were vague, apropos for Prince Rune. I had no idea how this worked. Would I immediately be transported to Eternity, or would Guide's bus materialize outside the house?

    I held the note between my fingers and the black rose in my other hand. I glanced about my room. It surprised me how empty it didn't look. My bed was still made, my dresser still half-full with clothes. I thought when I packed up and left, I would leave a bigger hole. But a part of me would never truly leave. I had too many memories, too many loved ones here.

    I lifted the rose to my lips and closed my eyes. Petals soft against my lips, it smelled like spring: mowed grass, blooming trees, a recent rain.

    I tried to recreate Eternity the best I could. I envisioned the castle, the gardens, the sun and moon. I imagined Eika, Kit, Jack, the King, and Prince Rune.

    I pulled in a heavy breath. And on the exhale, I whispered, "I want to go home."

    My eyes fluttered open. Nothing. No flash of light, no dizzying sensation, not even a splash of rain. Just my bedroom and a sunny August day beyond the window.

    My shoulders fell, and I swallowed the lump in my throat. Did it not work? Was the flower a ruse, a final twisted trick?

    But a strange rumbling sounded outside, like someone bringing their trash cans to the curb. And the noise got louder, deeper, as the sky darkened. Black clouds caused an imitation of nightfall in midday, and a clap of thunder rattled the house.

    I gasped. "Rain. The bus stop."

    In a flurry, I gathered my things and raced downstairs.

    Rain assaulted the roof and windows, and Mom remarked, "I have no idea where this storm came from. I was hoping you'd have better weather while you traveled."

    "I like the rain."

    At the front door, Mom fumbled over me. She tugged on my raincoat, counted my bags, constantly asked if I had enough bus money for the trip.

    Finally, we all embraced. We shared teary smiles. This goodbye was hard, but the pulsing of my veins reassured me that I had made the right decision.

    I opened the door and grinned at the deluge.

    "Call us when you get there." Mom's voice cracked.

    "I won't have service for a while. But I'll make sure to tell you I got there safe. I love you."

    There was a chorus of "I love you."

    And then I stepped into the rain.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

70 12 29
Can she fall for human or forget about him forever? The secrets that been kept for thousands of years long, at the end revealed by the moment when sh...
12.2K 5.3K 37
Unknown to the average human world, there is a place where every supernatural being that fuels nightmares resides. Shielded completely from prying ey...
216K 2.1K 35
One day, I read that in real-life fairy tales, the princess sometimes needs to befriend the dragon and kill the prince, perhaps not to the most extre...
5.5K 465 39
A cynical Necromancer with a terrible secret. An optimistic Crown Prince crumbling under the pressure. A talented mage living in the shadow of his y...