Influence

By kensy_lane

The curtain around the hospital bed slides open to reveal an African American man with warm eyes. He walks in... More

Chapter One-Defense
Chapter Two-Undiscovered
Chapter Three-Lunch
Chapter Four-Persuasion
Chapter Five-The Facility
Chapter Six-Science Bros
Chapter Eight-Stay
Chapter Nine-Experimentation
Chapter Ten-Discovery
Chapter Eleven-Surprising Guests
Chapter Twelve-Answered Questions
Chapter Thirteen-Tense
Chapter Fourteen-Skogsra
Chapter Fifteen-Alien?
Chapter Sixteen-Dates?
Chapter Seventeen-Fancy
Chapter Eighteen-Captains?
Chapter Nineteen-Fondue
Chapter Twenty-Home Planet
Epilogue

Chapter Seven-Water

3.2K 118 18
By kensy_lane

"I'll join the jet ski lobby. Maybe start a petition." Steve chuckles as we make our way across the yard and through a patch of trees. There's a small strip of land that juts out into the water with a single tree casting its shade across the middle. Stones, half smooth with the persistence of the rise and fall of the tide descend into the muddy green water and invite me closer. I shed my jacket and toss it over a low hanging branch before shedding my shoes and socks as well.

"Are those Christmas socks?" Steve asks with mirth and I nod sheepishly. My foot reaches out towards the closest rock and I wobble slightly. Steve's there in a second, now without his leather jacket as well. He slips his hand down my arm so we're holding hands while my eyes snap up to his. Bright, clear, and blue, my brain stalls a moment as we look at one another.

"...careful." He seems to remember why he grabbed me and I nod once. My hand unconsciously tightens on his. He keeps me steady as we move all the way down to two big rocks big enough to sit on. Our hands release. I instantly sit and put my feet in the water, shivering happily at the chill. Looking at Steve, I find he's already looking at me with laughter in his eyes. "Little cold?" He questions and I wiggle my toes in the shallows.

"Feels nice. Afraid yours will fall off?" I tease and he shakes his head, putting his bare feet in the water too.

"Christ." He breathes and I laugh, the picture of a super soldier avoiding chilly water apparently hilarious to me. After I settle down I look at the concrete behemoth to our left.

"What was on the bottom floor of the facility?" I ask and look back at Steve. Light from the fading sun frames Steve in gold light so he looks like a saint in a renaissance painting. Dear god, the man is beautiful.

"That's the gym for the whole team. Usually, that's where we go to practice team maneuvers, powers, and things like that." He explains, eyes soft and glowing in the warm light. "You know, I've never actually been down here." Blue eyes scan the water and trees on either side of it.

I hum with interest as I watch him. "I'm surprised. This would be a great place to draw." Steve's nodding as if the thought occurred to him as well, but he's looking back at me when he does. Blinking, I turn back to the water. Cold strikes my shoulder and I feel the wetness, huh, was it supposed to rain today?

"Are you an artist?" Steve asks and leans into me playfully, I push back with a grin.

"No, definitely not. I do love to read though. In fact," I laugh a little at the memory, "when I was little and read about the Sirens I wanted to be one. A Siren that could charm people with a song." Of course, at the time I had no clue what that wish would entail. Steve smiles along with me.

"Reading is good." He comments and suddenly smirks. "So, how many books have you read about me?" I scoff and my cheeks turn a bit red. His grin grows. "Has to be a few since you said, 'in all the books I've read'. I'm flattered, really." My foot splashes water on his as I roll my eyes.

"Ugh." He laughs goofily as rain begins to fall at a constant rate. I turn my face up to it and relish each drop as it falls onto my skin, then runs off in rivulets. "Mind the rain?" I ask, opening my eyes and turning my head to Steve. Hair damp, blue eyes made bluer by the fog of the pouring rain, small droplets gathering on his long eyelashes, sliding down his cheeks and sharp jaw when he blinks. He's the picture of beauty and a privilege to see. Especially with the way he's looking at me.

"No." He answers simply and we both look out to the river once again, the rain causing thousands of ripples every moment. It's peaceful here. Surprising given my peace is usually found alone, so having Steve here and feeling this way...is rare. But nice. A little time passes and I'm shivering more than enjoying when Steve reaches over to me. "Come on, let's head in. I owe you dinner, right?" I smile and nod. This promises to be interesting.

We clasp slick hands and help each other escape the rocky terrain, laughing when we both nearly die on the slippery rocks. Even so, we make it to the wet grass and grab our things before sliding up the hill back to the facility on our bare feet. Giggling like children and breathless, we track water inside and grow quiet as people stare as they walk by.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, you're soaked." I laugh and he shakes his head.

"Just as soaked as you." He returns brightly. "You can borrow something of mine if you don't mind?" He asks strangely and I follow him as he starts walking.

"Won't be the first time. Think I actually still have your shirt, by the way." I tell him and he scoffs.

"The blue one? Damn, I've been looking for that." I laugh and cling to his bicep when I slip on my own feet. His other arm is quick to wrap itself around me and both of us stop breathing as I'm pressed against his chest, the both of us wearing soaked clothing pasted to our bodies like a second skin. A beat passes before I blink rapidly and stand back up, taking a step away and pressing a button on the wall for the elevator.

"Uh, anyway. You make it sound like I'm doing you a favor, Steve." I tell him as the elevator doors open. We slip inside and Steve punches the button for the top floor.

"Well, uh, in the '40s wearing something from a single man meant you were going steady. Some mindsets are harder to break than others, I guess." His big shoulders shrug and his expression turns slightly bashful.

"That's sweet," I reply as the elevator dings. We walk the short way to Steve's room and he does his best to find something I can wear.

"Sorry, this is all I've got that might fit you." He hands me a plain grey sweater folded on top of navy sweatpants covered in little Shields. A giggle falls out of my mouth.

"As long as they're dry, they're perfect. Thank you." Steve nods and smiles at me before turning and getting his own clothes. There's a split second where I pause, after all, we've seen each other naked before so why does it seem to matter now? Even so, I slip into his bathroom to change, my face beet red. Sighing, I strip and change, leaving my wet clothes on the end of the counter neatly folded. Hoping he's already changed, I step out just in time to see him pulling down a light blue shirt. He perks up the second he sees me walk out. "Not too bad, right?" Steve smirks at me and steps forward.

"Here." He offers his hands and I put one of the sleeves containing my arm in them. Amused smile on his face, he rolls back the sleeve until my hand is free. His touch is gentle and goosebumps rise when his fingers skim my skin. My eyes stare at the tender expression on his face as he does the same to the other side. Warmth spreads throughout my limbs, negating the coolness of the air around us. "There. Now you at least have hands." He grins and glances at my hidden feet. I reach down and tighten the white drawstrings into a bow before folding the waistband a couple of times.

"Bit better." I shrug with a smile and let the sweater fall partially off my shoulder. Since it's most likely never going to stop, I don't bother fixing it. There are actual shirts that do that anyway, right? Steve's eyes follow the movement and his lips part just a little.

"What are these?" Carefully, he raises his hand and brushes his thumb across small pink circles etched into my skin. I catch his wrist and shrug the extra cloth off my other shoulder, knowing there aren't any scars on that one.

"Burns," I reply honestly, for some reason not wanting to lie to Steve. "Seems you were a bit distracted last time you saw them."

"Not exactly something you ask when in that situation." He says logically, brows furrowing. I release his wrist and shake my head.

"My story isn't quite as heroic as yours, Captain." My tone is light, but I know he sees the pain in my eyes. He nods slowly.

"Are you safe?" He asks and my entire body softens. Of course, he'd ask that first.

"The person who did that has been out of my life for a long time, Steve. I'm okay." I assure him and he instantly sighs in relief. A strange mix of happiness and fear swirls in my gut at seeing that he already cares somewhat.

"Glad to hear that." He lets it go, gesturing to the door. We walk out together and slowly walk down a flight of stairs. "You can tell me, you know," Steve says quietly, eyes steady on mine. Affection fills me and I grab his hand without thinking about it. Jesus this guy is making me soft.

"Thanks. I might." I tell him simply and squeeze his hand before letting go. My feet carry me into the kitchen first and I'm pleased to see Sam made it along with Bucky. Both nod to me before continuing their argument about 'The Office' who is worse, Dwight or Michael? Steve breezes by me with a sigh to stop them from fighting as I walk over to the couch where Wanda and Tony sit. When she sees me she instantly perks up.

"Hey, Reagan, right?" She asks and I nod, sitting a little ways away from her.

"Just Rea, but yeah."

"Nice outfit." Tony comments, rescinding his arm from behind Wanda and mussing her hair on the way.

"Steve's letting me borrow a couple of things since we got caught in the rain," I explain, feeling bad that Steve is most likely going to get teased about this. Tony hums, amusement dancing in his eyes.

"Little Notebook action, huh?" He waggles his eyebrows and Wanda smacks his chest with a small smile.

"Have you decided whether or not you're staying?" Wanda asks sweetly.

"Well, she's got to stay the night, right?" Tony leans forward and winks at me. "Still got scans to do." I blink. Forgot about that.

"That would actually be great. Would hate to make Steve drive me back to the city." Tony nods at my words to encourage me.

"Please, stay. We've got the room and you've got to come back here anyway. Besides, you seem to get along with Steve and god knows we all need more female influences around this place. Audition for the team notwithstanding." Tony continues and he flatters me, but I find I'm very close to agreeing. This has been a great day and I must say I don't see myself fitting in anywhere else. There certainly aren't any Steves anywhere else.

A/N

Will she stay? She certainly seems to fit the criteria. What do you think Tony and Bruce will find after they scan her? o_O Tell me your thoughts, readers!

And, of course, keep reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62.3K 1.5K 85
So guys it's a Romanogers /CapWidow story including all Avengers . This follows the original MCU timeline. Starting from The Avengers to aftermath...
3.3K 365 9
A young child is used to settle a debt. Many deemed her defective due to her inability to speak. But she didn't need to talk to get her job done. She...
59.6K 1.5K 40
Mistreated from a young age and sent away in her teens by her parents, she all but disappeared off the face of the Earth. Years of abuse from her new...
51.2K 2.4K 25
Sequel to Punching Bag! My heart is beating about as fast as I'm spinning the two rings around my finger. I stare out the jet windows at the changing...