Mnasthai (The Order #1)

By kissmyredlips

After waking up in a different body, Fabienne Leona Sloan questioned her own sanity and struggled between rea... More

Prelude
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Final Chapter
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty-Seven

20.6K 1.1K 517
By kissmyredlips

Her hands were wrapped around my neck that I couldn't breathe. I'm starting to wonder how many times I am going to be choked to death in this life time.

I gripped on the hands on my neck and dug my nails as hard as I can. It helped loosen her hold on me but it wasn't enough. I was running out of oxygen and at this rate, she'll surely break my throat.

What are you gonna do now, Fabie?

I desperately reached for her face but I couldn't. My eyes fell down on her long flowing hair. I didn't think twice in grabbing it and pulling it down. She yelped but I remained dragging her head down. I grabbed both side of her face and pressed my thumbs on her eyes.

She wailed in pain and stopped her from choking me. Inabot niya ang kamay ko pero bago niya mahawakan 'yon ay sinuntok ko na siya sa mukha at matapos ay itinulak palayo sa akin. I successfully managed to stand up.

My throat feels sore and I was still coughing as an effect of being choked. I hurried my way to the door. Just as when I was about to reach for the handle, I felt a stinging sensation at the back of my head when she gripped my hair and pulled me back with so much force.

My head tipped back. I reached for her hand that was clutching on my hair. She used her other hand to hold my jaw as tight as she could. She forced me to face the mirror. A malevolent smile was splattered on her face as she stared at our reflection.

"Why are you doing this?" I cried out.

She looked at me through the mirror. She ostentatiously grinned. "Because it's fun."

I gave her an incredulous look. This lunatic is going to kill me for fun. I don't know how to react to that.

"Say goodbye now," she happily bid and held my hair tighter. She pulled my hair back as if getting some momentum. My eyes widened when I realized what she wanted to do. She's going to bash my head on the mirror.

Before she could do what she was planning to do, the door made a banging sound when it opened. My eyes flew towards the door and saw Mabel.

Shock was casted on her face. Her eyes were nearly bulging. "Kinsley!"

That caught Valerie's attention. I didn't waste a moment and elbowed Valerie as hard as I can. I don't care where it hit her. I didn't make another mistake by escaping immediately. I kicked her on her leg to make sure that she stays on the floor before I made a run for it.

I ran towards the opened door. Mabel was still stunned while staring at Valerie that she didn't even flinch when I held her wrist and pulled her with me. As soon as we were out of the restroom, I screamed for bloody help as we ran.

May dalawang nurse staff ang sumalubong sa amin. Akala ko ay lalapit sila sa amin pero lumampas sila. It made me looked behind me. I saw them restraining Valerie whose eyes were flaring with disdain. She looked hell bent on escaping their hold to attack me again.

Another nurse came to assist me and Mabel. He brought us to the infirmary. Mabel remained silent the whole time. Nang makita ng nurse na wala siyang galos ay pinabalik na siya sa kanyang kwarto. She never glanced at my way as she left the room.

"Is Mabel okay?" I asked the nurse who's treating the bruise on my neck.

He nodded. Patuloy lang siya sa paggamot sa akin. "Traumatic events can trigger her episodes. Magiging maayos din siya."

The door opened without any knocks as a prelude. Pareho kaming napatingin sa pumasok. Napatayo ako nang makita si Jakob na nasa likuran ng nurse.

I saw him release a deep breath that he's been holding at the sight of me. His eyes scanned me from head to toe. He brought back his eyes to my face and squinted near my lips. I'm pretty sure my cheek is swollen. His jaw clamped.

He directed his angry stares at the nurse who was previously treating me. "Anong nangyari?"

"I got attacked by one of the patients," I answered for the nurse. It brought back Jakob's attention on me.

I'm not even wondering how he knew. Sumugod siya dito nang maramdaman ang takot ako. I wonder how Jakob feels every time he senses that something bad is happening to me. If I were him, I'd probably die from worrying too much.

The nurses excused themselves and quietly left the room, leaving the two of us alone. Jakob remained quiet until the nurse closed the door behind him. He brought his eyes back to me.

"A demon?" he asked.

I smiled and shook my head. "No. She's just really crazy."

Jakob didn't find it funny. He remained unsmiling and let out a heavy sigh. He looked away. His jaw was ticking.

I reached for his jaw to soothe it. He looked back at me. I smiled at him. "I'm okay, Jakob."

"I hate it, Fabienne," hirap niyang sabi. "I hate knowing that you're scared and I can't do anything about it. It makes me feel helpless."

My smile faded at that. I felt something squeezing my heart.

"If something happens to you..."

"It won't be your fault," I quickly said.

Jakob shook his head. He was about to say something but the nurses returned. Kasunod nila sila Mariah at Noah. Jakob distanced himself to let Kinsley's family hover and worry.

Mariah was enraged over what happened. She demanded for me to be discharged from the facility or she'll file a lawsuit against the facility for negligence. Hindi na ako sumabat at hinayaan si Mariah sa gustong mangyari.

It was a blessing in disguise. That same night, I was allowed to leave. Siguro ay para hindi na magkagulo ay pinili na lang ng facility na paalisin ako.

Nang makaalis kami ay tsaka lang sila nagtaka kung bakit nandoon si Jakob. Jakob smoothly reasoned that he was going to visit me when it happened. Pinalampas naman 'yon ni Mariah. Noah just gave the two of us the stinky eye.

I stayed at home the next day. Saktong walang pasok dahil October 31. The classes will resume on November 3.

Aside from Jakob, Pen sent me a couple of texts. Hindi ko 'yon binuksan o binasa man lang. I deleted it and blocked her number. She wasn't detained. According to Noah, the police said that the plug found in the pool is not a strong evidence to file a case against Pen. The proper term is circumstantial, I think. Walang footage na nasa pool siya nung oras na nalulunod ako.

I took the key from Nial's toy and stared at it for hours. I have a big feeling that this will lead us to the answers that we've been looking for... but where does it go?

For November 1, the whole family went to the cemetery to visit the graves of their loved ones. That's how I spent the whole day. Jakob was with his family too but he made sure to check on me through text messages.

It reminded me of my plan to talk to Granddad. I know exactly where to find him tomorrow. Ever since my grandmother died, he goes to the church where their wedding was held instead of the cemetery.

Jakob insisted on coming with me because he didn't want me going anywhere alone. I didn't complain. I feel safer with him and Mariah easily allowed me to leave the house when I told her that Jakob will be with me.

I knew I was right the moment we reached the parking lot. I saw the Mercedes car that Granddad always uses among the cars that were parked.

"You can stay in the car," I told Jakob as I watched him unbuckle his seatbelt.

"No. Where you go, I go." It wasn't up for debate. He didn't give me a chance to respond and stepped out of the car.

I heavily sighed and opened the door to slip out. Hinintay ako ni Jakob na makalapit sa kanya bago nag-umpisang maglakad.

I found my grandfather sitting at the first row. His eyes were transfixed at the altar in front of him. Siya at ang agent niya lang na nakatayo sa gilid ang nasa loob ng simbahan. The agent effortlessly spotted us but he didn't make a move to stop us from approaching the director.

"Mr. Antonio Sloan," tawag ko nang hindi niya mapansin ang pagdating namin.

His eyebrows raised at the sight of me. He gazed at Jakob next. He looked curious and surprise at the same time.

"Miss Kinsley, this is a pleasant surprise. Anong ginagawa mo rito?" he asked.

"I'm here because I knew you'd be here," I truthfully answered. His forehead creased at that. "I need to talk to you about something."

He calmly nodded and gestured his hand on the space beside him. "Please, have a seat."

Tahimik akong umupo sa espasyo sa tabi niya. Jakob shadowed my move and sat beside me as well.

"Do you know Kaelene?" I started.

He shook his head. "No. Dapat ko ba siyang makilala?" He seemed genuinely puzzled as he stared at me.

I was quiet for a few seconds; trying to weigh if he's telling the truth or he's just pretending to be clueless. Why would he need to pretend though? I pursed my lips and thought of a different question.

"What's the connection between Fabienne and angels?" I asked.

His eyes widened. He looked extremely shocked. His body straightened in alarm. "Paano mo nalaman ang tungkol doon?"

So it's true. Haniel was right. My grandfather really knows something. My heart speeds up in anticipation.

I reached for his hand and looked intently at him in the eyes. "You have to tell me."

His brows were knitted and he looked completely muddled as he stared back at me. He was silent for a moment; like he was contemplating if he's gonna tell me or not. After a long minute, he heavily sighed.

"The night Fabienne's mother was in labor, an archangel appeared before me and claimed that he's Gabriel; one of the messengers of God," he began. I removed my hold on him and breathed carefully as I listened. "He said that my granddaughter is special; that she should be loved and protected in this lifetime."

"He said that her soul was hidden among the humans for nearly six centuries; reincarnating after death from one body to another. Each body uniquely allows her to reincarnate as a mortal."

My lips parted as I processed the information that my grandfather was telling me. My soul has been reincarnating for six centuries and I don't know or remember any of my past lives and I was hidden among humans. That implicates that I'm not a human being. I inhaled sharply.

"Does that mean," I stopped because I couldn't finish the sentence.

"Yes." He nodded. "Fabienne may be in a human's body but she's not a mortal," he paused, gravely looking at me. "Fabienne is an angel."

Hearing that made me stand up from my seat. My hands were shaking. Hindi ko magawang maniwala. My head was still reeling from what I just learned.

I don't understand. I don't understand any of this at all. The things I've learned didn't give clarity. It turned my whole world upside down. My brain feels numb and my eyes were hazy with pent-up tears.

Everything's not what it seemed to be anymore. I don't know who and what I really am anymore.

"Kinsley," Granddad called out.

I slowly shook my head. "Hindi ako si Kinsley." I slowly turned to face my grandfather. His head was slightly tilted back to properly look at me. Tears remained constrained in my eyes as I croaked, "I'm Fabie."

His eyes circled widely. "What?"

"I'm Fabienne, Granddad," I shakily uttered again.

My grandfather was stunned as he stood up. His widened eyes never left my face. "Fabie?" he repeated.

I bit my lip and nodded.

Several emotions crossed my grandfather's face. He was uncertain at first, then he looked stunned. His last expression showed both relief and joy. He spread his arms and I willingly stepped closer to welcome his embrace.

"Paano 'to nangyari?" naguguluhang tanong ni Granddad. Hindi ako sumagot. Nanatili lang ako nakayakap sa kanya. Pakiramdam ko ay sasalampak ako sa sahig kapag bumitaw ako.

I'm an angel. My soul was hidden among the humans for nearly six centuries. I reincarnated after death from one body to another. Bakit ako kailangan itago? For what reason? To hide me from the demons who want to kill me? Why do they want to kill me anyway?

My body as Fabienne will allow me to reincarnate as a mortal after death. That's probably why Haniel and Azrael told me that I shouldn't die in Kinsley's body... but what will happen if I did?

Inimbita kami ni Granddad para mag merienda para na rin makapag-usap nang maayos. He demanded to know everything. I told him about the threat on Kinsley's life.

"Don't worry, Fabienne. I'll be placing security details on you starting today. I'll send a request letter to your university about it para makapasok din ang bodyguards mo sa loob," Granddad assured me.

I wanted to be stubborn and tell him that it's not necessary. My father tried to force this idea on me so many times but I was adamant about not wanting it. I didn't see any threat then, iba yung ngayon. The thought of having someone around to watch over me feels comforting. I have Jakob but he said it himself; he can't be there 24/7.

"That will be better po. Mas mapapanatag po ang loob ko kapag may ibang nagbabantay sa kanya," casual na sabi ni Jakob.

Umangat ang kilay ni Granddad dahil doon. Namula naman ang mukha ko. Jakob must have realized the impact of what he just said. He cleared his throat.

"Uh, Sir," pahabol niya.

Granddad chuckled. He took a sip of his juice before talking. "You know what, I haven't thanked you yet for watching over my granddaughter. Maraming salamat, iho."

"No need, Sir. I just really want to keep her safe," Jakob somberly said. His eyes were stern and staring straightly at Granddad. He looked like a soldier talking to his superior. I didn't resist the smile that was creeping on my lips.

It was around six when Mariah called to ask kung anong oras ako makakauwi. She wants me to be at home for dinner. Hindi ako tumanggi at sinabi na lang na pauwi na kami ni Jakob.

"Please take care," Granddad said as he hugged me and kissed me near my temple. "Always remember that I love you."

I smiled at that. My eyes were closed as I cherished my grandfather's embrace. "I love you too, Granddad."

My grandfather walked us to Jakob's car. Jakob opened the car door for me. Pinauna niya na akong makapasok. I was already inside when he shook hands with my grandfather. Nakita ko na may sinabi sila sa isa't isa bago inikot ni Jakob ang sasakyan at pumasok.

Walang naging imik si Jakob nang patakbuhin ang sasakyan kaya pinili ko rin na manahimik. My thoughts began to flood my brain.

Everything that happened the past weeks came back to me. It's all too much. I remember how I woke up in Kinsley's body and later found out that I was allegedly dead. While finding the perpetrator of my supposed death, I found out that Kinsley got killed because she was investigating her late best friend's death who was also most probably killed by the same person. Their killer began to threaten me and then I found out that I was really alive. Jakob's eye glowed. The killer started acting on the threats and Mariah thought I was trying to kill myself so she sent me to a mental facility.

A freaking demon tried to kill me. The archangel of death came to save me and told me that my body is just a shell. The day after that, I talked to my very own guardian angel and a madcap tried to kill me. At ngayon malalaman ko na isa akong anghel?

I'm an angel who was hidden among the mortals for centuries. I was hidden for a reason; the same reason why a demon attempted to kill me. Anong meron sa akin kung ganoon?

Is that why Azrael said we used to be friends? Because I was an angel like him too? What about Jakob? His eye glows just like Azrael's. Posible kayang... tulad ko rin siya na itinago sa mga mortal? Pero bakit?

"What are you thinking?" Jakob asked; breaking the silence and pulling me out of my trance.

I looked away from the outside of the window and looked at Jakob. His eyes were on me. Wala na rin ang hawak niya sa steering wheel. I checked the road and realized that the car was halted because of the red light.

I smiled at him. "A normal day." Kumunot ang noo niya sa pagtataka. Mas lalo akong napangiti. I continued, "I want to a normal day. No killer. No demons. No reincarnation. No angels. I just want a normal day."

"You can have it, Fabienne," Jakob softly said.

I sweetly smiled at him. "Can you spend it with me?"

His lips parted. He looked stunned as he gazed at me. It's like his mind flew somewhere else.

"Jakob?" I called.

He lightly shook his head and bit his lip. He breathed in deeply. "Tomorrow. After class. I'll take you somewhere... normal." He smiled at the end.

"Promise?" I gave him an innocent look.

He nodded. "I promise."

***

The next morning, Jakob picked me up in the morning. I didn't attend the swimming practice anymore since I might withdraw from the swimming team. Wala naman nang dahilan para manatili pa ako sa team.

I could see the black SUV that was trailing us. Napansin din 'yon ni Jakob. He got worried about it at first. I just assured him that it was the security detail that my grandfather was talking about.

The guards failed to shadow me inside the campus. Wala pa sigurong approval ang university sa request ni Granddad. That will probably take at least three days.

I dutifully attended my classes like a regular student. Sa lunch ay nakuha kong makasabay si Jakob. Ang sabi niya ay wala ang professor nila. We ate at one of the fast food chains across the campus. It was the normal day that I wished for and he promised to give me.

"Why are you smiling?" Jakob asked while scooping his sundae.

I grinned and shook my head. "It's just... This feels normal."

"I still have to take you somewhere," he exclaimed and popped the spoon in his mouth. There's something about watching him eat an ice cream... Hmm.

I vigorously nodded. "I know." My smile faded when I remembered what day it is. "'Di ba hanggang Monday ang pasok mo ngayon?"

"May ipapa-check lang kami na plates pero idi-dismiss din agad." He pursed his lips. "You can wait for me or you can ask your guards to take you home."

I pouted a little before responding, "You'll be quick right? Maghihintay na lang ako para hindi mo na ako kailangan sunduin mamaya."

Jakob compliantly nodded. "Okay."

After lunch, pumasok ako sa sumunod kong dalawang klase. My last class ended fifteen minutes earlier. Habang papalabas ng room ay nag type na ako ng text message para kay Jakob.

Today 4:16PM

Fabienne:
Saan ang 4:30 room mo?

His reply was instant.

Jakob:
Tech Bldg 705.

I was about to answer when my phone rang and an unfamiliar name flashed on my screen. Out of curiosity, I answered.

"Hello?" I greeted.

"Hello, Kinsley. Si Lydia 'to, yung landlady sa dorm mo dati," paliwanag nito.

Why is she calling me? Nakolekta ang mga gamit ni Kinsley sa dorm diba?

"Yes po?" I politely asked.

"Yung mail locker na ginagamit mo kasi may padlock pa rin. Nakalimutan yata ng kapatid mo na kunin," the landlady explained.

"Mail locker?" I echoed. And it has a lock that needs a key. It's like something got plugged in my brain. My heart began to pump fast. "Maliit na susi ba ang kailangan?"

"Oo. Nasa campus ka pa ba? Pwede mo na bang kunin ngayon?" magkasunod na tanong nito.

"Pwede naman po. You can text me the address and I'll be there immediately," maagap na sagot ko.

"Sige. Salamat, Kinsley," sabi nito bago ibinaba ang tawag.

Wala pa ang address pero naglakad na ako palabas ng campus. It was just across the university. Kaunting lakad lang ay nandoon na ang dormitory building ni Kinsley. Malakas ang tibok ng puso ko nang makarating sa tapat ng building.

A lady greeted me as soon as I entered the lobby. She introduced herself as Lydia, the one who called on the phone.

"Ayan yung mail locker. 4E ang sa'yo." Tinuro niya ang mail locker na nakasandal sa kabilang pader.

I held my breath as I took in the locker she was talking about. It looked like a typical metal locker except the cells were smaller. Sa halip na patayong rectangular shape ay maliit na square lang ang bawat locker.

Kabado akong humakbang palapit sa mga locker. I stopped in front of the locker that she claimed to be Kinsley's. I carefully retrieved the small key from the bag.

I bit down on my lip hard as I inserted the key inside the lock. My hands were shaking. I closed my eyes and slowly turned the key. I let out a gasp and removed my hold from the key as if I was burned when I heard a click.

It unlocked.

I really unlocked.

Halos hindi ko na mahabol ang puso ko nang buksan ang alisin ang padlock sa locker at binuksan 'yon. I was welcomed with a couple of envelopes and brochures. I could taste blood from my lips as I reached for the unwanted objects. Inangat ko 'yon at halos mapaatras nang makita ang matagal ko nang hinahanap.

Kinsley's journals.

Kinuha ko ang tatlong itim na journal mula sa loob ng locker. Hindi makapaniwala na nasa kamay ko na ang sagot sa mga katanungan ko. The truth... is here.

I could feel my lungs freezing as I continued staring at the journals. Hindi ako makahinga. The fear was growing and gnawing at me; slowly shutting down my entire system.

"Kinsley," a female voice called from behind me. It's probably Lydia. "Ayos ka lang?"

I clutched the journals against my chest. Isinara ko ang locker at matapos ay hinarap si Lydia. May bakas ng pag-aalala sa mukha niya nang harapin ko.

"I'm okay," I quickly responded and forced a smile. "Salamat. I need to go."

"O sige, maraming salamat din," sagot nito.

Today 4:47PM

Fabienne:
Jakob, I found the journals!

Please hurry.

Hindi agad nakasagot si Jakob. I kept the journals inside my bag and rushed my way back to the campus. I can't stay and wait for Jakob in one place. Hindi ako mapapalagay. I need to see him now. I don't know if I can look at the journals alone. I need him. I need him beside me.

I was gnawing my fingers as the elevator went up. Bumaba ang tatlong kasabay ko sa fourth floor. I was all alone as the lift rose to the seventh floor.

Walang tao sa maluwag na tila lobby na nasa tapat ng elevator. That's normal. This building is mainly used for computer laboratory subjects. Hindi ito palaging may nagaganap na mga klase katulad ng ibang building.

I searched for Jakob's room number. Nasa dulong corridor pa ito malapit sa kaliwang fire exit. I peeked through the small window of the door. Nakita ko siya malapit sa harap ng klase at mukhang abala sa papel na nasa desk niya.

Today 4:54PM

Fabienne:
I'm outside your room.

Pinili kong umupo sa tapat ng room nila Jakob. Gusto kong maglakad-lakad dahil hindi ako mapakali. I bit on my finger again as I waited. I stared at the door. Every second feels like an hour. The bag on the floor beside me felt like it was burning.

Should I read?

I carefully reached for my bag and took one of the journals from it. Huminga ako nang malalim bago nag-umpisang magbasa.

I zoned out as I flipped the pages. My eyes blurred with tears, a gasp escaped me more than once, and my lips and hands trembled with fear.

Pakiramdam ko ay wala nang pumapasok sa isip ko pero patuloy pa rin ako sa pagbabasa. My breathing become shaky. Parang umiikot ang paningin ko habang tumatagal.

I stilled when I heard a footstep. My eyes passed through the journal and I saw a pair of black shoes right in front of me. I held my breath before slowly lifting my eyes to the owner of the shoes.

My eyes widened with fright. I breathed out like my lungs just collapsed. Kahit na nanlalabo na ang mga mata ko sa luha ay kitang-kita ko pa rin ang mukha niya.

"I-It's you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

196K 11.1K 63
She has forgotten everything Simply everything. Her childhood, her Memories, her family and loved ones. She even forgot the man who devoted so Much t...
279 21 20
when Roxanne Amacara, the worlds favorite pop star, finds out she is going to star in her first movie, a film called s.p.y., she is very excited. The...
3.4K 209 51
One night changed Juliane's world forever. No parent ever wants to go through the death of a child because you're supposed to go before your children...
3 0 17
Ameliee has grown up with a great family and awesome friends. But what seemed different was her families shade of appearance. She was different than...