Chapter Twenty-Six

"Kinsley!" Kinsley's mother called out as I treaded my way towards their table.

It's lunch time and they promised to return at lunch. Noah and Nial were with her. Siguro ay nasa school si Kirsten. Food were already set up on the table.

Kanina pa umalis si Jakob dahil may pasok ito. He only stayed for an hour. I wish he could stay. Gusto kong sabihin sa kanya 'yon pero hindi ko sinabi. I don't think I needed to. I saw his reluctance to leave me behind. Hirap siyang iwan ako pero nagawa niya dahil kailangan.

They hugged me before letting me take a seat. Mariah fixed my plate with some food and even uncapped the mineral water.

"Sinabi na ba ni Jakob?" tanong ko kay Noah.

Tumigil si Noah sa pagkain at tumingin sa akin. "Yes. I already forwarded the info to the police."

"I can't believe it," Mariah exclaimed. "Paano nagawa ni Pen 'yon sa'yo? She was such a sweet girl."

Right now, I could care less about Pen being the killer. All I want is to get out of here.

"Does that mean I can leave here?" tanong ko.

"Honey, they said you have to stay for 72 hours before you can be cleared," Kinsley's mother forlornly answered.

I dropped my utensils. "72 hours?" I gaped.

"I'm sorry, Kinsley," malungkot na sabi ni Mariah. "I should've listened to you. I was just worried..."

Seventy-two hours. I need to be here for two more days. I already hate the fact that I'm here but after what happened last night? Am I going to survive the next two nights? Will more demons haunt me? I think I'm going to be sick.

"Your landlady called, by the way," sabi ni Noah. "Pinapakuha sa akin ang mga gamit dahil may bago na raw magle-lease ng room mo."

My mind quickly focused on what he said. Some of Kinsley's stuff is in her old dorm! What if Kinsley left more clues there? What if the missing journals are there too? It will help link Pen to Jasmeen and Kinsley's deaths! This

"Can you tell Jakob that I asked him to come with you?"

Noah's face turned thoughtful. "You know that Jakob is being nice to you because of your condition, right?"

Of course he'll think this way. Jakob never liked Kinsley in a romantic way and Noah knows that Kinsley liked Jakob a lot. He also probably knows that Jakob liked Fabienne.

I gave him an innocent look. "What? We're just friends."

"I just don't want you getting your hopes up and end up getting hurt," he guardedly said.

I smiled and shook my head. Hindi mo lang alam, Noah. Right now, I'm more worried that I'd end up dead.

Umalis din sila matapos ang lunch. I successfully evaded Mabel and spent the rest of my time inside the reading room. I was jumpy around people. Na-traume yata ako kagabi. I was scared to look at people's eyes, afraid to find full black circles staring at me instead of normal ones.

I suddenly wondered too if my guardian angel is just beside me or something. Gusto ko sanang itanong pero baka imbis na makaalis ako rito ay mas lalo lang akong mapatagal. Talking to imaginary people definitely shouts crazy.

Just like yesterday, I attended my therapy session with Dr. Encallado. I talked to him about Pen's case. Just like any other shrink, he asked me how I felt about what happened and what I would feel once it's been proven that Pen's the one who tried to drown me.

I answered what I think Kinsley would say. It's smarter that way. He'll surely notice if I gave him answers that I know he'd like to hear.

"Do you think I can leave this place tomorrow?"