Chapter Thirteen

A/N: please watch our vlog hehe! RoxandRae on youtube. 😛

A knock came from my door as I was getting ready for school.

"Come in!" I yelled and continued fixing my bag.

"Happy Birthday to you..." voices began to sang, making me jump in surprise. I quickly turned to look at the doorway.

Kinsley's whole family was there. Noah was holding a small but beautiful circular cake with lit up long candles on top. Kirsten was standing beside Noah as she sang. Nial was hugging Mariah's leg but as he sang, too.

"Happy birthday, happy birthday... Happy Birthday to you," they finished singing.

"Happy Birthday, Ate!" Kirsten was the first one to chirp. She walked towards my direction and gave me a hug. Meanwhile, I was still very much surprised.

It's Kinsley's birthday! For a moment, I thought it was my birthday but then it's only 10th of October. Besides, if it was my birthday, I don't think I'll still be here.

Isa-isa nila akong binati at niyakap. Noah was the last one. He held out the cake in front of me. A boyish grin was plastered on his face.

"Make a wish, Kinsley," he said.

My mouth tasted sour. I can feel the guilt that was heavily anchored at the pit of my stomach.

I was living Kinsley's life. Guaranteed, I didn't do it by choice... but I stole her life. But then what can I do about it? It's not like I can tell anyone that I'm not Kinsley. Telling her family that will make them worry about my mental condition. They might even send me to a mental facility! Who would believe me anyway?

I don't even know where Kinsley is. I don't know what's really happening here. My only lead is a voice that I heard when I was heavily medicated. She said I only have until my birthday. That's it. Hindi ko man lang alam kung ano talaga ang dapat kong gawin habang nasa katawan na ito.

I closed my eyes and thought of Kinsley.

Kinsley, I hope you're happy wherever you are. I'll look for Jasmeen's killer. Hahanapin ko ang gumawa sa'yo nito.

I opened my eyes and blew the candles. Nial and Kirsten cheered, clapping their hands as soon as the small flames were out.

"We'll be hosting a small dinner party tonight. Just us and your friends. I already invited Maqui and Pen for you," Mariah serenely explained. "Pwede ka rin mag-imbita ng kahit sino na gusto mo."

I wanted to tell her that she didn't have to do this... but she almost lost her daughter. She doesn't want to take celebrating her life for granted.

"Okay, Mom. Thanks," I briefly replied. I matched it with the sweetest smile.

"Can we eat the cake now?" Nial cutely asked.

"Ikaw! Ang takaw mo talaga!" Kirsten laughed as she picked up Nial from the the floor.

Sabay-sabay kaming kumain ng breakfast. Noah drove us to school. Hindi niya na ako hinatid sa room ko kagaya nang dati. He probably trusts me enough to remember my schedule and my way around the school.

We arrived early. May mga tao pa sa loob ng room ko kaya pinili kong maghintay muna sa study area.

Kinsley received a lot of messages. Puro birthday greetings sa mga taong hindi ko naman kilala. There were texts from Maqui and Pen. Simpleng 'happy birthday' at 'see you later'. I dutifully responded to the texts with a simple 'thank you'.