Chapter Twenty-Three

Jakob suggested that I should stay away from Pen for the mean time. At least until we've cleared up Pen as the culprit. I agreed. I don't want to be around her anyway. She was too creepy.

Pen called me that afternoon para kamustahin ako. She claimed to hear the news from Maqui. Our conversation was brief but every second that I spent talking to her, all I could think about is how I think she's the true killer. I only realized how cold my body turned after I was done talking to her. I was that creeped out.

I told Silver what happened and asked to make a file for Pen. Silver called the same night to make sure that I was okay and promised he'll give it to me on Monday.

Hindi ulit ako naka-attend ng practice ng Sunday. Coach Haidee sent me text to take a break and just attend the training on Monday. It worked out well because we had to return to the hospital for the discussion of the MRI result.

The doctor asked me about my condition. Kung may naalala na raw ba ako. I told them the truth. Wala akong naalala. Ipinaliwanag ng doctor na normal naman ang resulta ng MRI ko. Nothing's changed. Mariah talked to the doctor alone and I had to wait outside.

For the rest of the day, I stayed inside the house para makapagpahinga. Jakob texts me. Sobrang bored ko kaya sinasagot ko naman. I think he's bored with hanging out with his friends too, kasi nakuha niya pa rin na makipag text sa akin.

Monday morning came, I was so surprised when I saw Jakob at the living room. Hindi na niya ako sinusundo sa bahay at wala akong naalalang sinabi niyang susunduin niya ako. Plus it's only seven o'clock. It's too early for him!

Mariah and the two kids aren't here anymore dahil maaga ang pasok nila. Si Noah naman ay mamaya pa panigurado ang gising.

"What are you doing here?"

"Picking you up," he answered.

"What? Why?" I asked, completely perplexed.

"To keep you safe," he casually answered; like he doesn't know that what he said has an effect me; like my heart didn't do a crazy flip after hearing him say it. And as if he's not yet done with giving me heart attacks, he continued, "I can't be with you 24/7, so I'll take the minutes that I can be with you."

I don't know how to react. Bumabanat din naman ng ganito sa akin si Silver noon but my response to Silver's cheesy pick-up lines are groans and sarcastic responses. Kay Jakob... Hindi ko alam kung paano.

So I did the first thing that came in my mind. I slapped my hand on my face and turned my back on him. I wanted to face palm again at my pathetic reaction.

"K-Kakain lang ako!" I yelled before stomping my way to the kitchen. Napahinto ako nang may maalala. Lumingon ako kay Jakob na nakatitig pa rin sa akin mula sa kinatatayuan niya. "Gusto mo rin bang kumain?"

A boyish smile slowly crept on his lips and he nodded. I just pursed my lips and turned again to resume my tracks.

Jakob waited for me after the morning practice. Hinatid niya ako sa aking room pagkatapos. We didn't see each other until the afternoon. He constantly texts me though.

Mag-isa ako nung vacant time ko dahil ayaw kong sumabay sa mga kaibigan ni Kinsley. It gives me the creeps to be around a potential killer.

Today 4:31PM

Fabienne:
I'm off to my afternoon training.

Jakob replied instantly.

Jakob:
I'll be there at six. Please take care.

I changed into the appropriate swimear and rinsed off my body with cold water. After wearing my swim cap, I headed to the pool area. Coach Haidee was already there.