Chapter Sixteen

Congratulations!

You have been qualified to be a part of the Auburn University Varsity Swim Team.

I was beyond surprised upon reading the introductory statement of the e-mail. It was sent seven in the morning.  Halos lunch time na at kagigising ko lang pero ito agad ang bumungad sa akin.

I can feel the excitement and kilig as I continued reading the contents of the e-mail kahit na alam ko naman na ang mga 'yon. It's the very same feeling when I got accepted for the first time.

I honestly can't believe it. I think I sucked. They attached my results and it was many seconds away from my best record back when I was alive. Did the others suck that bad? I can't say that I'm that good. To be honest, my scores were almost average. Almost.

I showered and got dressed for today's agenda. Mamayang hapon na ang napag-usapan namin ng pinsan kong si Gavin.

Mixed emotions ang nararamdaman ko. I'm thrilled to see the mansion again after such a long time but at the same time, I'm sad because I know there's a possibility that this will be my last chance to step foot in my own home.

Lunch time na nang makababa ako. All of Kinsley's siblings were on the living room, watching a movie.

"Oh, good. You're awake," Mariah's voice suddenly came out of nowhere. Napatingin ako sa kanya na mukhang galing sa dining area. "We're about to eat lunch."

I smiled and nodded. Tinawag na ni Mariah ang iba at ako naman ay dumeretso na sa dining area. The table was already set and there were two dishes served aside from the rice. Fried chicken at isang vegetable dish. There's clam soup, too.

I settled down and waited for the others. Like every lunch, we offered a prayer to give thanks for the meal. Based on my weeks of being Kinsley, I've learned that their family is not a regular church-goer. Pumupunta lang sila kapag may mahalagang okasyon but they always pray.

Meanwhile, my parents were agnostic. They don't see any proof of celestial beings but they're not dismissing the idea either. My grandfather was a true believer though. That's why he used to require me to attend masses with him every Sunday. Personally, I think religions are doubtful but I do believe in the existence of someone powerful out there. The Creator.

I remember telling my grandfather my opinion about religions. He laughed and said, "True faith isn't measurable with your religion practices and beliefs. It's about your belief in God."

Mariah mostly talked, like always. Nagtatanong ng mga updates tungkol sa buhay ng mga anak niya. They mostly talk about school. Kirsten had a lot to say. Si Noah naman ay wala masyadong sinabi.

"How about you, Kinsley?" Mariah asked. "Anything new?"

They never asked me directly if I remember something. Pasimple lang lagi ang tanong nila. I think they're just trying to be sensible of my condition.

"Nakapasok ako sa swimming team," I told them. Wala na kasi akong ibang maisip na sasabihin sa kanila maliban doon?

"Really?" Noah's the first one to react. "I didn't know that you're into that sport."

"That's amazing, Kinsley!" maligayang sabi ni Mariah.

"Wow. Ang galing mo naman, Ate," manghang sabi ni Kirsten.

"Sinubukan ko lang." I timidly smiled and shrugged. "It's actually fun."

"It's really nice to see you participating in activities. I'm glad," Mariah said.

They looked genuinely happy for me. They were beaming with pride. I couldn't help the guilt that was crawling on my skin. I don't like the feeling.