Chapter Twenty-Two

We crashed on a tree. My head and neck hurt but that's only thanks to the seatbelt I was hearing. Unforunately, Maqui's not wearing a seatbelt because he had to reach for the steering wheel. His arm slammed on the dashboard.

I held my stiff neck and looked at Maqui. His face was contorted in pain. Worry flooded me over. "Oh my God, Maqui." I unbuckled my seatbelt and reached for him. "Are you okay?"

"Fuck. My arm," he grunted.

"Don't move it," I instructed. I carefully held his arms and supported him so he could sit back to the passenger seat. Maqui's eyes were shut tight. "Does it hurt that bad?"

"I think it's just a contusion..." Maqui grumbled underneath his breath. He opened his eyes and looked at me. "You? Are you hurt anywhere?"

"Not as bad as you," I answered. I looked away from Maqui and checked the brake pedal. That's the only time when I noticed the leak and a piece of paper was peeking under the matting of the car floor. With a knitted forehead, I leaned down and picked up the paper.

My jaw clenched as I read what was printed in a plain black ink.

STOP LOOKING FOR ME

"What's that?" Maqui asked.

"It's nothing." I crumpled the paper and returned my attention on him. "Stay here. I'm gonna call for help."

Lumabas ako ng sasakyan para pumunta ng guard house at humingi ng tulong. My head and neck still hurts but I'm not injured anywhere else like Maqui.

The guards assisted us. May kumuha ng barricade para maharangan ang sasakyan na nakabangga sa puno for the mean time at ang isa naman ay tumulong sa amin na kumuha ng taxi at sumama na rin sa malapit na hospital.

We were both attended at the hospital. We were asked for personal information and contact persons. After some physical and neurological examination, we were asked to get immediate diagnostic test. It's a standard procedure after every accident.

Maqui and I had to wait for what felt like an hour for the x-ray result. Nauna siyang tinawag sa akin para kausapin ang doctor. Habang naghihintay ay bumalik ang utak ko sa nangyari kanina. The brake failed to work and after seeing the note, I can easily conclude that it wasn't an accident. The crumpled note inside the pocket of my jeans felt like it was burning.

It was obviously done by someone who has access to the house. It couldn't have been Kinsley's own family. Her maids and the guard don't seem suspicious either. My brain is pointing towards Maqui and Pen.

Looking back, Maqui answered a phone call when they reached my place. Si Pen naman ay nasa labas na nang makababa ako sa living room matapos mag-ayos ng bag. They both had opportunity to alter the car.

But if it was Maqui, then why would he get in the car with me if he's the one who messed with the brake? Paano kung sa main road kami naabutan ng pagkasira ng sasakyan? We'll most likely be in an emergency room right now... or worse, dead. It just doesn't make sense.

My gut is telling me that it's Pen. Everything just points to her. She's got access to Kinsley's house and the university. She knows Kinsley's schedule. She knows a lot about Kinsley. She knows about Kinsley's investigation. It's possible that she was just testing me when she told me about the novel she was working on. That makes more sense. Everything, all of it, leads to her. All I need right now is a concrete evidence to link her to the crime.

"Kinsley!" I heard Mariah's voice before I saw her.

Noah was behind her as she rushed her way to where I am. Tumayo ako nang makalapit na siya. She quickly pulled me in for a tight hug and released my body to check my face and arms for any visible bruises.