Chapter Fourteen

Seeing Pen's instant camera and the photo film really stunned me. Could it be a mere coincidence? Or does it have something to do with the photos that I found in Nial's toy car?

Could it be the person who killed Jasmeen and maybe Kinsley is Penelope? But why? What could be her motive?

She seemed like a nice person and a good friend to Kinsley but then again, it's not like she can't pretend. It could all be part of an act and she's taking advantage of Kinsley's amnesia.

She claims that Kinsley told her about Kinsley's suspicion that Jasmeen didn't commit suicide. But what if it was just a test? What if Kinsley really didn't tell her and the truth is that she knows all of that because she's the killer?

If so, then this body is in a graver danger than I thought. For sure, she's just waiting for the right opportunity to kill Kinsley again.

I was snapped out of my thoughts when my phone pinged for a new message. I reached for my phone to check it.

Today 8:40AM

Pen:
We're outside na!

I felt a shiver ran down my spine. My warning bell is alarming.

Pinipilit ko maging matapang pero natatakot pa rin ako. If she's the killer, then she's dangerous. I may have taken self-defense classes but this is different. She already has experience in murder.

My only advantage is that she doesn't know that I already got my eyes on her and I have to keep it that way. Kaya kahit na naduduwag akong makasama siya ay pinilit kong ituloy itong plano niyang sumama sila sa akin ni Maqui sa swimmig tryouts.

After calming myself, I quickly typed in a reply.

Kinsley:
Coming.

Binuhat ko ang gym bag ni Kinsley at lumabas na ng kwarto. I continued calming myself as I went downstairs. I can do this. I can acts like everything's normal. I've been doing exactly that for weeks as Kinsley anyway. This will be easy right?

Maqui's car was parked by the gate. I didn't take my time and opened the car door to enter.

"Hi!" Pen chirped. She made an effort to turn her body to look at me. Si Maqui naman ay tumingin lang sa rearview mirror bago pinaandar ang sasakyan.

"Goodmorning," I replied with a smile.

"Are you ready?" she asked.

I feigned a laugh. "I'm nervous."

"I'm sure you can do it. Although I really haven't seen you swim as in swim like a pro." She grimaced.

"Kinsley knows how to swim but I don't know if it's good enough to compete. I don't follow the sport," Maqui explained as he drove.

"Kaya mo 'yan. We're rooting for you." Pen flashed me the sweeetest smile.

I can only smile back. With these growing suspicions in my head, her smile seemed fake to me. It gave me the creeps.

Pen looked thrilled while Maqui curiously gazed at the surroundings, like he was inspecting every inch of the place. I think that's because this is their first time to come here.

Meanwhile, I was feeling nostalgic. Pakiramdam ko ay taon na ang nakalipas simula nung huling nakapunta ako dito kahit na ang totoo ay weeks pa lang naman. I still missed this place though.

I remember waking up early almost everyday just for swimming practice. Minsan ay nagiging gabi ang practice dahil sa mga scheduled classes. I can perfectly remember the daily drills. I remember the friendship I built with a few members from the swimming team.