Chapter Seven

I was already in Kinsley's room when I woke up. I touched my aching head as the things that happened before I fell asleep flooded my mind.

I was at the coffee place with Silver because of my plan. Silver was going to talk about me but was interrupted by Jakob who stole my drink. It turns out Kinskey's allergic to nuts. I would have died if it weren't for Jakob... and fine, Silver.

Paano kung wala si Jakob sa coffee shop nung araw na 'yon? I would have died again! I'm just so grateful that I didn't even bother questioning his sudden appearance there. It's just near the campus after all. It's most likely a lucky coincidence.

Then I remembered the conversation I had with the female angelic voice. Was it a real conversation? Did I just hallucinate? Or maybe it's just a dream?

"Doesn't matter. Work fast, Fabie. You only have until your birthday. Now, sleep."

And if it's true, what does it mean? Work fast what? And what does she mean when she said I only have until my birthday? Is it a deadline? My expiration date, maybe?

My first thought is that I'll be ejected from Kinsley's body on my birthday. Siguro ay aakyat na ako sa langit sa araw na 'yon. That's... poetic. It's like my chance to rebirth.

Work fast... Does it have something to do with my own investigation? Am I on the right track then? Does that mean I'm right? That I was placed in Kinsley's body so I could find my killer? My head hurts just by thinking about all of this.

Everything that's happening right now is just too surreal. I'm still not sure if I'm just delusional and I just think I'm Fabienne or I'm really Fabienne and I'm really in Kinsley's body.

If I'm not Fabienne and I'm just delusional Kinsley, then why do I know things about Fabienne? And the things I know are not just public information. I know everything, from the smallest details to details that are highly significant.

But if I'm really in Kinsley's body... Why? Why Kinsley? Does it mean anything? Or is it just because Kinsley's body happened to be convenient and present at that time?

So many questions, but no luck in finding answers. I feel so pressured. Lalo na ngayon at nalaman ko na may deadline pala akong kailangan habulin. My birthday is on the 30th of November and the date today is October 3 which means I have fifty-seven days left to find who killed me and why.

Soft knocks came from the door. Bumukas din ito kaagad. I saw Mariah peek from the outside. Her eyebrows raised when she saw that I was awake. Nilakihan niya ang bukas sa pinto at pumasok. She closed the door behind her before walking towards my bed.

"Hey, honey," she called.

I calmly raised my body to sit up. Mariah sat on the bed beside me. "How are you feeling? May masakit ba sa'yo?"

"No. I'm okay," I replied.

Mariah heavily sighed. She raised her hand and brushed the top of my head. "I'm sorry. We failed to mention about your allergies. It slipped my mind..."

"It's okay, Ma... Uh." I gave her a reassuring smile. "I'm really fine. I'm still alive."

Tears filled her eyes. She looked forlorn. "I almost lost you again, Kinsley. Sobrang pabaya ko bang ina?"

Parang pinisil ang puso ko sa narinig sa kanya. It reminded me so much of my Mom. Ito rin kaya ang sinabi ni Mama nang mabalitaan ang nangyari sa akin? Did she blame herself just like what Kinsley's mother is doing?

I shook my head. My eyes pooled with tears as I thought of my mother. I imagined she was her. I imagined that it was my mother that I'm talking to.