Mnasthai (The Order #1)

By kissmyredlips

After waking up in a different body, Fabienne Leona Sloan questioned her own sanity and struggled between rea... More

Prelude
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Final Chapter
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty-Three

17.6K 1K 187
By kissmyredlips

Jakob suggested that I should stay away from Pen for the mean time. At least until we've cleared up Pen as the culprit. I agreed. I don't want to be around her anyway. She was too creepy.

Pen called me that afternoon para kamustahin ako. She claimed to hear the news from Maqui. Our conversation was brief but every second that I spent talking to her, all I could think about is how I think she's the true killer. I only realized how cold my body turned after I was done talking to her. I was that creeped out.

I told Silver what happened and asked to make a file for Pen. Silver called the same night to make sure that I was okay and promised he'll give it to me on Monday.

Hindi ulit ako naka-attend ng practice ng Sunday. Coach Haidee sent me text to take a break and just attend the training on Monday. It worked out well because we had to return to the hospital for the discussion of the MRI result.

The doctor asked me about my condition. Kung may naalala na raw ba ako. I told them the truth. Wala akong naalala. Ipinaliwanag ng doctor na normal naman ang resulta ng MRI ko. Nothing's changed. Mariah talked to the doctor alone and I had to wait outside.

For the rest of the day, I stayed inside the house para makapagpahinga. Jakob texts me. Sobrang bored ko kaya sinasagot ko naman. I think he's bored with hanging out with his friends too, kasi nakuha niya pa rin na makipag text sa akin.

Monday morning came, I was so surprised when I saw Jakob at the living room. Hindi na niya ako sinusundo sa bahay at wala akong naalalang sinabi niyang susunduin niya ako. Plus it's only seven o'clock. It's too early for him!

Mariah and the two kids aren't here anymore dahil maaga ang pasok nila. Si Noah naman ay mamaya pa panigurado ang gising.

"What are you doing here?"

"Picking you up," he answered.

"What? Why?" I asked, completely perplexed.

"To keep you safe," he casually answered; like he doesn't know that what he said has an effect me; like my heart didn't do a crazy flip after hearing him say it. And as if he's not yet done with giving me heart attacks, he continued, "I can't be with you 24/7, so I'll take the minutes that I can be with you."

I don't know how to react. Bumabanat din naman ng ganito sa akin si Silver noon but my response to Silver's cheesy pick-up lines are groans and sarcastic responses. Kay Jakob... Hindi ko alam kung paano.

So I did the first thing that came in my mind. I slapped my hand on my face and turned my back on him. I wanted to face palm again at my pathetic reaction.

"K-Kakain lang ako!" I yelled before stomping my way to the kitchen. Napahinto ako nang may maalala. Lumingon ako kay Jakob na nakatitig pa rin sa akin mula sa kinatatayuan niya. "Gusto mo rin bang kumain?"

A boyish smile slowly crept on his lips and he nodded. I just pursed my lips and turned again to resume my tracks.

Jakob waited for me after the morning practice. Hinatid niya ako sa aking room pagkatapos. We didn't see each other until the afternoon. He constantly texts me though.

Mag-isa ako nung vacant time ko dahil ayaw kong sumabay sa mga kaibigan ni Kinsley. It gives me the creeps to be around a potential killer.

Today 4:31PM

Fabienne:
I'm off to my afternoon training.

Jakob replied instantly.

Jakob:
I'll be there at six. Please take care.

I changed into the appropriate swimear and rinsed off my body with cold water. After wearing my swim cap, I headed to the pool area. Coach Haidee was already there.

"Mag-stretch ka na, Kinsley," Coach instructed.

Tumango ako at nagsimula nang gawin ang stretching routine. I was good to go after fifteen minutes.

"Let's work on your speed first then endurance later, alright?" sabi ni Coach at kinuha ang stopwatch. "Position."

Isinuot ko ang goggles at pumwesto. I waited for Coach's whistle before diving in the water. I reminded myself to keep my arms and legs straight as I began swimming. Less drag, more balance.

Unlike before, I can hold my breath longer. I only use my right side to breathe. The key is not to raise your head but to lean your head to your shoulder as you lift your other arm, para hindi napuputol ang action.

I spun under the water and kicked on the wall to do the final lap. That's actually my favorite part. Mid-way, my arms are already tired but I kept on swimming and gave my all.

Nang makarating na sa dulo ay hinabol ko ang hininga. I braced my arm on the edge of the pool for support.

"Your record is good but not enough," Coach Haidee said as she stared at the stopwatch. She brought her eyes on me and smiled. "How about we work on your kicks?"

That's what we did for the next thirty minutes. My legs were almost sore after repeatedly swimming back and forth. Nang natapos na ako ay nakita ko si Coach Haidee na may kausap sa phone. Her eyes were on me though. She gave me a thumbs up before showing me a five as a gesture to wait for her.

While waiting, I floated on my back and let myself breathe. After a few minutes, I raised my head and Coach Haidee was crouching on the edge of the pool.

"I'm being called at the office. How about you work on your lung capacity for the mean time?"

"Okay, Coach," I said and nodded.

"If I'm not back here on time, you can leave without me," she instructed.

Nang umalis na si Coach ay ipinagpatuloy ko na ang paglangoy. My thoughts wandered as the time passes. I thought of what our next step would be, now that we have Pen as the prime suspect.

What was her motive in killing Jasmeen? How can we tie her to the three incidents? This would've been easier if I can remember what happened the week before I woke up in the hospital. Or if I had Kinsley's journals. I feel like her missing journal is the only key to finding out the truth.

My muscles already feel strained. I've been swimming non-stop for what felt like almost an hour. I turned and kicked the wall for my last lap. I'll rest and take a shower after this.

I took my time on swimming and focused holding my breath for a longer time. Upon seeing the wall, I extended my hand to lift myself up but I was startled when something held the back of my head.

I brought my feet on the floor and forced myself to stand up but something was keeping my head submerged on the water. I reached for the back of my head and felt the two hands that were preventing me from getting some air. My heartbeat sped up when I realized what was happening.

I tried to remove the hand from my head but it only forced one hand to hold me by my nape while the other dunk my head deeper. I flailed my legs and struggled to free myself. I was already running out of oxygen. I could see black spots in my dimming vision.

My arms and legs were getting weaker. My lungs were searching for air. I involuntarily breathed in and inhaled water in the process instead. It burned. My nose, throat, and chest felt like it was on fire.

Fire. That's the last thing I remember.

Black. I couldn't see anything but darkness. I heard a distant voice calling out for my name but I don't know where it's coming from.

"Fabie, come on," a frustrated voice said. I felt something repeatedly brushing the center of my chest. It was subtle.

I wanted to ask who he was. I wanted to ask him why he's calling me but I couldn't move my lips. I still couldn't see anything and my chest still felt like it's in flames.

"Fabie, breathe. Please," the voice sounded desperate now. The brushing on my chest became harder. No. My chest wasn't being brushed. It was being pumped. "Silver, where the fuck is the help?!"

"They're on their way. Just don't stop with the chest compressions," I heard another voice but it sounded like he's not in the room.

"Am I not supposed to give her mouth-to-mouth?" the voice asked.

"You're not trained to do CPR. You might do more harm than good. Just continue with the compressions," the other voice instructed.

"Breathe for me, Fabie," I heard the voice say.

***

I almost groaned when I heard the familiar steady beeping of the Holter monitor. Not this again.

Hindi ko agad binuksan ang mga mata ko. I recollected what happened before I blacked out.

I remember drowning. I remember that someone drowned me. I still remember how painful it felt when water entered my nose and mouth. I could faintly remember the two voices talking. The other one was pleading me to breathe.

I opened my eyes. The white ceilings welcomed me.

"Kinsley," I heard Mariah's voice. I turned my head and saw her sitting beside the bed. Her eyes were red and she looked like she aged years with worry. "How are you feeling, honey?"

"I'm okay," I croaked. I looked around the room and saw Noah who was now standing on the side of the bed. Silang dalawa lang ang nasa kwarto. "Where's Jakob?"

"He's outside," Mariah answered. "We owe him your life. The doctor said if he didn't perform the hands-only CPR..."

Hindi iyon itinuloy ni Mariah pero alam ko na ang kasunod. I wouldn't have survived if it wasn't for Jakob. I was snapped out of my own thoughts when I realized how quiet they were.

Nakatingin silang pareho sa akin. Noah looked angry. Mariah, on the other hand, looked guilty and worried at the same time. Something's wrong.

"What is it?" tanong ko.

"Kinsley, I have to ask you something," Mariah reluctantly said.

"Mom," Noah sternly called out.

His mother ignored him and continued staring at me. Her eyes were filled with tears. "Honey... Were you trying to end your life again?"

Nanlaki ang mga mata ko. Noah cursed out loud. Tumalikod siya at naglakad palapit sa pader. Mariah remained staring at me.

"I'm not!" I hysterically answered. Tumitig lang sa akin si Mariah. I gave him an incredulous look. "Believe me. I swear, I'm not!"

Huminga nang malalim si Mariah. She looked disappointed as she nodded. "Okay, I believe you but honey I'm really concerned about your mental condition. You've been into a lot of traumatic experiences lately... I'm scared that it'll take a toll on you."

"My mental condition is fine," I assured her.

"You have amnesia, Kinsley. It's been weeks but you barely remember anything at all. I'm worried that these stressful incidents will prevent you from getting your memories forever," Mariah exclaimed. "The doctor suggested that therapy might help you. She mentioned a facility..."

Nakaramdam ako ng kaba. I know where she's going with this. "You can't make me go to a mental ward. I'm old enough to decide for myself."

"Your condition convinces us otherwise," Mariah said in a clipped voice. "It's not like other mental health care hospitals, Kinsley. It's a private clinic. The facility looks more like a hotel. You can see it as a retreat."

No way. I'm not going to spend the rest of my weeks in a mental clinic. It's the twenty-seventh of October. I have a month left before my birthday.

"I'm not trying to kill myself. Someone tried to drown me, okay?" I told them the truth.

Nanlaki ang mga mata ni Mariah sa sinabi ko. Even Noah who was standing by the wall walked back to the bed in surprise.

"What? Who?" sunod-sunod na tanong ni Noah.

"I-I don't know. Hindi ko nakita. I was in my last lap. Nasa dulo na ako ng pool. A hand held on me before I could even raise my head," pagpaliwanag ko sa kanila.

"What the fuck, Kinsley?" Noah reacted.

"Kinsley, if you're just making this up just so..." Mariah began.

"I'm not," I cut her off. "Don't send me to that clinic. I don't belong there." I turned my eyes to Kinsley's brother. "Noah, please..."

"We'll report this to the police and the university," Kinsley's mother austerely exclaimed.

"Does that mean you're not gonna send me to that clinic?" I asked.

Mariah looked crestfallen at my question. "Honey, I already submitted your form. I'm sorry but it's for your own good."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

279 21 20
when Roxanne Amacara, the worlds favorite pop star, finds out she is going to star in her first movie, a film called s.p.y., she is very excited. The...
34.9K 1.6K 37
"I fell into darkness but I didn't mind, I liked it." Amy Adams thought everything was alright, but when she heard her very best friend Rose committe...
196K 11.1K 63
She has forgotten everything Simply everything. Her childhood, her Memories, her family and loved ones. She even forgot the man who devoted so Much t...
114 0 12
A shut in girl dreams of living in her games, the action, the mystery, the adventure all of it, she dreams of living in their wold, but when her comp...