Mum's The Word (Sequel To Jus...

By Brianna_Alexis

This is the sequel to my very first book on here, Just Say The Word and I highly recommend you read it before... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18

Chapter 12

105 4 0
By Brianna_Alexis

Chapter 12

Lance's P.O.V.

Surprisingly enough, the weeks after getting Mackenzie back weren't that bad. Luca had become my rock. She was amazing and while we knew we would never last, we were holding eachother together while we did. Things were just really free with her. I didn't have to worry about hurting her feelings or trying to be perfect. I was me and she was her. That's all there was to it.

Mack and I hadn't spoken much. I could tell she was getting along with Liam's friends again though. They were taking her out and he was spoiling her. She looked genuinely happy and no one could stomp on that. I kept visiting Dr. Cortez though. She kept me updated on Makayla's progress. So far she hadn't relapsed back into her host personality, but she hadn't had any meltdowns either so I couldn't complain much. I knew it would take time. I couldn't be bothered to rush it now anyway. I had Luca. Kat was happy. Mack was alive. I was happy.

I watched Luca approach the school with a grin on my face. She was beautiful. She had this way of walking that made you know she was one of a kind. She emanated rebellious and self righteous.  "Hey there good lookin," I greeted her as she found her place under my arm.

"Sup pretty boy?" She smiled as we entered the school together.

Shortly after we got into the building, we had to say goodbye. She headed to her first class and I headed to mine. We wouldn't see eachother again until lunch.

I found myself in English class with Makayla. She glanced up at me as I entered the room and sent me a small smile. "Hey Lance, long time no talk."

I returned her smile as I took my seat. "I know. We've got a lot to catch up on."

"You don't say," she commented off handedly. "I hear you're dating someone."

I felt the blush go to my cheeks. It was sort of awkward discussing that with her after everything me and Mack went through. "Yeah, I kinda am. You wouldn't like her." The old Mack would. "She's all hardcore and rebellious. Lives life on the wild side. You know, typical movie bad ass chick."

She laughed, tossing her curly dark hair over her shoulder in the process. "She sounds perfect for you."

"Why do you say that?" I kept an eye on the teacher as he started the lesson. Me and Mack weren't his favorite students.

She shook her head. "You just seem like you brood a lot. Don't the bad ass and the brooding guy always end up together?"

I shook my head. "Oh contrary my friend, the bad ass and the good girl always end up together. Does that mean you two are gonna get together?"

Her mouth fell open. "Ew!"

I laughed, keeping the conversation going. "I don't know...I think I can see it. You two would be perfect for eachother."

Makayla thwacked my arm. "What even? You're such a guy." She rolled her eyes at me.

I rubbed my arm. "God, Kayla.. I can't control what parts I'm born with."

"But you can control your mouth, Mr. Randall." I met the angry eyes of Mr.Sourpuss. "Stop distracting Ms.Davis."

That ended our bonding time.

I met up with Kat at lunch and we got into line together. She was chatting away about some art project she was doing and asking me really personal questions that i just kept nodding and ignoring. I had never seen Kat as talkative as she had been for the last month or so and that was probably because of her new boyfriend. I had to admit I didn't like Kace much when he first started hanging around Mack, but he was the best thing that could've happened to Kat..especially after I abandoned her in her grief.

"Crap," I heard her mutter in front of me.

Tuning back into the present, I addressed her. "What is it?"

She looked sheepishly back at me. "I left my wallet at home."

I rolled my eyes and handed the lunch lady a five dollar bill.

Kat averted her eyes in embarassment. "Th-thanks for that.."

I moved up in line. "Just like old times," I commented, referring to the first day of school when a similar scenario went down between me her and Mackenzie.

She smiled a little at the memory. "I miss her."

I grabbed my tray and we headed to our table. "Me too," I agreed. "But we might get her back sooner than we expect."

I glanced over at Liam's table and me and Makayla made eye contact. Shyly, she waved at me. I smiled and just as I went to wave back, I was tugged from behind.

Luca's lips slammed into mine passionately. After a moment,  I had to pull away for breath. She smiled up at me. "Hi."

I smirked down at her. "Hello."

Makayla's P.O.V.

My hand dropped awkwardly. She couldn't even have let him return my wave before she attacked him? I found myself involuntarily scowling in their direction. Who did she think she was? Why did she think she had a right to Lance? I had years on her! Years!

I told myself to be cool. There was no reason for me to be feeling so inferior. Those thoughts were so out of the blue and unlike me. Quickly, I straightened my face up. This is what I get for bonding with my sister's friends. Maybe we still had that twin telepathy thing going on. Oh my God. What if I'm like psychically linked to my dead twin sister?  How wickedly creepy would that be?

"Earth to Kayla," Tracy called out to me. "Get your head in the game." She bumped my shoulder as she said this.

I smirked at her and bumped her back. "Get your head out of Coach Dunne's ass," I smickered.

That caught me a laugh from both Macey and Clark. I had really hit it off with Tracy. I could see why we were best friends before. She was chill and easy to hang out with.

She mock glared at me before letting it lighten up into a smile. "Shopping this weekend?"

Macey answered off handedly.  "Nah, me and Riles are heading up to the cabin this weekend."

"That's fine. I was talking to Makayla anyway." She didn't say that harshly. It was matter of fact.

Macey looked between the both of us. "Oh."

That sent our lunch into awkwardness. I could tell that me and Tracy's friendship was putting a strain on their friendship. I didn't know if this was how it had always been or if my absence had pulled them closer just for my reappearance to tear them apart. I didn't know because no one would tell me. They all seemed hesitant to talk about before.

Clark started up a conversation about the weather and odd as it seems, it got our minds off of the awkwardness that had just happened.

Tracy dropped me off at home after school. I blew her a kiss as I unlocked my front door. Home was starting to feel a lot more like home now that'd I'd been here for a good two weeks or so. The only weird thing was that my supposed stepdad hadn't been home since last week. My mom said he was staying with his brother who had been injured a few months ago and still needed assistance here and there. I shook it off. Mel didn't seem to like him too much so I wasn't bouncing with excitement to meet him either.

I should've known something was off when I walked into the house and my mom greeted me at the door. She looked a little worried and nervous. She kept thumbing the necklace around her neck.

I tossed my keys into the dish on the table by the door. "What's up mom?"

She kept glancing behind her. Then Dr. Rivera came from around the corner.  I couldn't help but panic a bit. Was she taking me back? Had I done something wrong? My life was finally starting to make sense again!

"What's going on?" I hoped my voice wasn't as scared as it seemed.

Dr. Rivera smiled. "Not at all, Makayla. We just want to try something and see if it jogs your memory a bit, that's all."

I nodded wearily. "What is it?"

My mom moved closer to me. "You're just going to meet your stepdad. You seemed to have a reaction to him last time he was here."

"Mom, I don't even remember what happened, " I groaned.

Dr. Cortez shushed me. "Come on in, Miguel."

A tall man with scruff on his face and a tan complexion entered the room. He stared at me but I was afraid to make eye contact. What if I blacked out again?

"Kenzie?"

My whole body reacted as I made eye contact with him. I reeled back. "Get away from me you filthy pig! Stop! Just go away! Go away! Leave me alone!" I started swinging, not at anyone in partucular, I was just fighting.

My mom rushed to my side and held me, murmuring reassurances in my ear as I collapsed to the floor. I cried out. Some time in between my fit and my mom joining me, Rivera got Miguel out of the room. I cried more.

"Leave me alone," I begged. "Just please."

Rivera came into my line of vision. "Mackenzie?"

I looked up at her from the ground. "Please make him go away."

Lance's P.O.V.

I got the call while me and Luca were still in the car. I had driven her to her house but neither one of us was ready to part yet. It was like we were clinging desperately to eachother at every moment of the day because we knew that any moment could be our last. It wasn't love, just a mutual needing.

I answered the phone cheerful. Immediately my mood changed. "Is she still..?"

Luca looked worried but I couldn't comfort her right now. "I'm on my way." I started the car.

"What is it?"

"You have to get out."

She glared at me momentarily before it softened. "Is she..?"

It was amazing how well she knew me. "I don't know for how long."

Reluctantly, our eyes met. They exchanged something our words couldn't. This could be goodbye. We might not be a we tomorrow.

She smiled at me, still maintaining eye contact. "Good luck."

I held her eyes a moment longer. "Thanks." I don't add the for everything. That felt too final.

So she exited the car and I drove to the hospital.

When I got there, i stopped briefly to ask the receptionist what room she was in. It felt weird not already knowing. I had to get used to her not being in the hospital, although the way things were going it seemed like she would always be in the hospital.

I ran into Lina and Dr. Cortez outside of her room. Lina looked distraught. Instinctively, I went to embrace her. She accepted the hug graciously.

When she pulled away from me she was crying. "I don't know why this is happening. I don't get it. Why us?" She looked as if she really expected an answer out of me. Unfortunately, I didn't have one. I was only 18. I wasn't a savior. I wasn't God.

I looked to Dr. Cortez. "Can I see her?"

She nodded. "Yes. Try and get some information out of her. She might talk to you."

I nodded and slowly approached the door. I don't know why i was so shaky. This was Mack. The real Mack. My Mack. Why was I nervous?

The first thing I saw in the room was the tv. It was playing Ferris Bueler's Day Off. Makayla wouldn't be caught dead watching an 80's movie.

"Mack," I whispered as if any loud noise might send her back.

Our eyes only made contact for a brief second before she launched herself at me. It caught me off guard, but I caught her in my arms. Then she cried. She wept and she wept and I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do so I rubbed her back. I held her and I rubbed her back.

"Lance," she cried into my chest. "What's wrong with me? It's already January. Why don't I remember?!"

I saw something wet drop into her hair and I realized I was crying too. "You left us, Mack. You were gone. You tried to kill yourself. Why'd you do that? Why would you leave me?"

She pulled away from me, wiping her eyes. "Please don't make me talk about that. Please, Lance."

I stared at her. She was actually here. This was Mack. My Mack. "Fine."

She sighed in relief. Then she smiled. She smiled and it was my Mack's smile.

We spent the next hour talking. I informed her about Makayla and she took it well. She even laughed in disbelief as I described how Makayla was her solar opposite. I noticed how she squirmed when I mentioned her rekindled friendship with Liam's friends. I even saw her grimace when I told her she was dating him again. After we discussed all the lighter stuff, I had to bring up the obvious again.

"Tell me, Mack. Why'd you try to kill yourself?"

She tugged at the sleeves of my hoodie, which she insisted on wearing about 45 minutes ago because she was "sick of wearing a gown that doesn't cover her pale ass." She looked troubled, as if she couldn't decide whether or not to tell me.

"I won't judge you, Mack."

She released a shaky breath and tears came to her eyes. "It was everything piled up on eachother," she admitted. "You weren't talking to me and Liam had dumped me and was seeing Sadie Pierce. His friends were bullying me. Sadie's sister had my dad's baby and he didn't want me and it was hitting me hard."

I felt so responsible for half of that. I should've been there for her. There was something that was bothering me though. "When you saw Miguel, you freaked out both times. What'd he do?"

Her eyes widened in fear at the mention of his name and I immediately knew I'd hit it spot on. "Lance let's leave it, okay?"

I moved closer to her and sat on the hospital bed, taking her hands into mine like I had done that day in my room when I confessed to her about killing my stepfather. "Did you let me leave it when you found that gun?"

She turned her face away from me, tears beginning to fall. "it's not the same thing.."

I gripped her hands tighter. "It is the same. It's just as dangerous."

She looked down at our intertwined fingers. "Please," she begged.

How horrible was it? Why was she so reserved? "Tell me."

Tears began to stream down her face. She took a deep, shaky breath. "He raped me."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

89.8K 5.2K 34
***Second book in the "Love to Hate You" series*** Vicky Wilkes is unlucky in love. She met the man of her dreams one year, three months, one week an...
110K 4K 74
after a long summer, mackenzie and ethan are finally back. and on amazing terms. but that doesn't last long. one of ethan's mistakes comes back to bi...
1.3M 23.7K 74
------------------------------------------------------------ I jumped a little at the feel of his cold rings, "How do you think Nathan would feel," h...
365K 19.2K 40
[COMPLETED] When life gives you a second chance at love, can you really walk away? Even if he's half your age... Remington, almost fifty, is settled...