Your Promise | Shingeki No Ky...

By cheldd

"My life is a series of broken promises... That is until you came along." Contains content from season 1 Also... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Epilogue One

Chapter Fifty-Five

631 22 0
By cheldd

Eren

Everyone at headquarters has already returned to their daily routines, planning the next mission, and continue with our work as usual. No matter how much I try to move on, I can't stop thinking about Rose. Every corner I turn, I just want to see her again. The cells in the basement are frigid and dismal without her, the emptiness is unbearable... She deserved better than this. Mikasa and Armin try to comfort me, but nothing helps and they notice it too so they decide to give me more space. 

I'm not one to control my emotions well so it's better if I stay away from others until I'm in a stable mental state. Roaming around the perimeter of HQ, I spot her brother, Josef, in the stables tending to the horses. Looking back, I've never spoken to him before. He must be taking her loss really hard.

He looks up and recognizes my face. "Oh, Eren!" Josef calls out. I hesitate to go over so he comes out of the stables over to me.  "I just realized I haven't introduced myself so sorry for startling you. I'm Josef Wesler, Rose's brother," He then continues, "Are you alright? You seem absent-minded," He asks.

"I'm... Alright..." Looking at Josef, I see Rose in his eyes and my heart begins to ache. I lower my gaze to face the ground and grit my teeth. "I'm sorry for your loss, Josef," 

Josef sighs and places his hand on my shoulder. "Thank you, Eren. You know, Rose liked you a lot. Growing up, she lost someone very special to her. I thought that she wouldn't be able to love anyone because of her friend passing, but then you came and gave her hope to love again. In short, thank you for giving her the ability to love again before she died," Someone calls out his name and he quickly runs off to answer them leaving me alone.

"Her friend... That must be the boy that she spoke about on the night of graduation,"

As the sun sets, I visit the lake where Rose and I went to once more. The life surrounding the water thrives as the water stands still in serenity. The beauty and flourishing life here... It reminds me so much of her. 

Near the waters edge, Rose's grave stands with flowers surrounding it. Since it is costly to have graves for all of the soldiers that passed, the Survey Corps doesn't have a cemetery. However, I made one for Rose. It isn't much, just one of the dull blades that I put in the ground that Rose once used. I sit in front of it and let out a heavy and shaky breath. 

"Rose... I'm sorry, your grave doesn't really seem like it's much but considering the circumstances, it's the best I could do for now," I deeply breathe in to calm my nerves before I start tearing up. "I... I miss you every day. I can't stop thinking about you, you're on my mind all the time and I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to normal. I wasn't even there at your last moments. I should've gone with you... I just sat there like an idiot, what was I thinking? We even lost squad Levi... The losses we made on that expedition are too much..."

I pause as if I'm waiting for her to respond which is pointless. "I keep losing you... And this time it's for real. Everyone tells me I'll be okay, but I don't know... What should I do?"

• • •

Rose

Evening finally arrives and Rosalina climbs to the top before we depart. I change back into my uniform (Rosalina washed the blood stains out of it so now it's clean) and strap the omnidirectional gear around my legs and waist. I braid my hair so that it's not in my face and grab the Survey Corps cape from the chair next to my bed.  As I drape the emerald cloak around my shoulders, I glance at Sorn who comes down the stairs with her favorite doll in hand.

I hesitate for a moment. "She should have this."

I remove the shawl from my shoulders and walk over to Sorn. "Hey, I have something for you," She turns and sees the wings on the back of the cloak as I hold it out in front of her. Sorn's eyes gleam with joy and her hand reaches out to take it but then stops.

"Can I really have this?" She questions me.

"Of course!" I place it on her shoulders and securely button it around her neck. "Now you're ready to go,"

She admires the garment with excitement and then giggles. "Thank you!"

Sorn and I gather some of their remaining belongings and wrap it in a sack to make it easier for travel. Rosalina comes back to tell us of the route we'll take and I nod in response. She then takes the belongings and heads to the ground.

I unlock the door, open it, and look back at Sorn. "Alright, let's go," Sorn stands frozen, staring outside the door from afar. Her silver eyes are now shaky and filled with nervousness. "Hey, you okay?" I walk over to her and she lifts her head.

"I... I've only seen the outside from when mama left but I always stayed... I don't know if I'm ready to go..."

I bend down to see eye-to-eye with her and place my hands on her shoulder. "You are ready, Sorn; You were born ready,"

Now reassured, Sorn smiles and goes in front of me, taking her first step out the door. Sorn shakily breathes as she examines the world around her. Although it's just the dense forest, she still is in utter shock.

"The air out here, it feels so refreshing..." She notes and I chuckle.

"Well, get used to the air out here because you live out here now," I let her climb onto my back so we can climb down the tree. After I reach the ground, I set Sorn into the cart with Rosalina.

"Remember, we're taking the route through the field, west of the houses," Rosalina reminds me.

"Got it," She lights a torch and hands it to me before I mount the horse. Before we go, I carefully inspect the area first and then begin the ride.

I glance back at Sorn who stares back at her home within the trees. "I'll miss that place..." She tells her mom.

"I will too... But don't worry sweetie, you'll love where we're going," Rosalina reassures her.

We exit the forest and continue riding to the wall. The moonlight shines enough to let me see a little more than what the flame from my torch allows but I still take caution. At night, the fields are much calmer and serene than they were when I came for the expedition. The silence creates peace but also a sense of eeriness as danger still lurks in the darkness.

My horse suddenly halts and neighs and I move the torch to scan the area while trying to calm my horse down. "Something's around us," I whisper. "Hold Sorn," Rosalina does as I tell her and I continue to scour the field. 

With one hand on the handle of my blade and the other holding the torch and the reins, I continue to the path to the gate, still keeping my guard up. As I pass a tree, a Titan lies dormant beside it. Behind, Sorn gasps but Rosalina holds her tightly and puts the hood up. The Titan remains motionless and I continue to ride at full speed away from the Titan. 

"I can't hesitate! I have to protect both of them so we can return home!"

After some time has passed, the wall comes closer into view and I direct my horse towards the gate. The Titans surrounding the wall are concentrated on the northeastern and northwestern sides of the wall, leaving an opening to the gate. Once we reach the gate, I unmount from my horse and walk back to Rosalina and Sorn. Still a little shaken up, Sorn holds onto Rosalina and she tries to console her daughter. 

"I'll be quick, just wait one minute," They nod in response and I hand Rosalina the torch. Luckily, there's just enough oxygen left in the tank for me to use so I use my gear to scale the wall. Once I reach the top, I look down and the flame still burns in my sister's hand.

I shoot the grappling hooks into the wall to secure myself while being lowered down to the ground. Above the gates exit, I release the hooks and jump down, landing in front of the exit. I hear members of the Garrison Regiment talking and drinking, but they direct their attention to me and their conversations come to a halt.

"Huh? Who's there?" One of them calls out.

I straighten my back and tread over to them. "Rosalina Wesler, member of the Scout Regiment," 

They throw their empty liquor bottles to the side and come to their feet. "What is a member of the Scouts doing all the way out here?"

"I was abandoned outside the wall in Titan territory during the last expedition," I raise my blade towards the gate behind them. "There's no time to explain. Outside, there are two others that were abandoned in Titan territory four years ago; A mother and a daughter. They've had to live amongst the Titans in the Forest of Giant Trees until I found them," I take a step closer to one of the members. "Open these gates to let them in." I order, my expression being as cold as stone for them to take me seriously.

They burst out in laughter at my story and one of them says, "That's some tale you're spouting, little girl," As they continue cackling, my anger rises and a vein pops out of my neck. "We can't just open the gate off of a story, we don't even know if it's true. Run along before you anger us,"

They begin to walk away when I announce, "You've heard of the Titan shifters, right?" They turn to face me again when I place the sharp edge of my blade on my palm. "Rookie Cadet Eren Jaeger isn't the only shifter in the Scouts, I happen to be one as well. If you don't cooperate and open these gates, I'll transform and force you to open them. I don't want any trouble, but you're making this very difficult," I press the blade down harder but not enough to cut my skin.

Some stumble back in fear, but one narrows his eyes. "You're bluffing,"

I raise an eyebrow. "Am I?"

Faint thumps and my sister's voice can be heard from the other side of the gate. "Rose! Hurry, there isn't much time!"

"Sir, I can hear them on the other side! We must open the gates to let them in!" One soldier notes.

"How do we know you're not fooling with us? For all we know, the Titans could be right outside the gate, waiting to come in."

"Titans don't have the ability to move without the presence of the sun. Just open the gates slightly enough to let them in; Or I can transform-" I press the blade down further but the soldier grabs my wrist and stops me. 

"Open the gate." 

The other soldiers do as he commands and the door rises enough to let my horse which Rosalina rides and cart through. Rosalina jumps off of the horse and runs back to the cart to pick up Sorn. I slide the blade into my gear and run towards my sister. "W-we made it!" We all embrace each other tightly and Rosalina tears up. 

I look back to the members of the Garrison regiment and smile. "Thank you for saving my family."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62.6K 4.4K 29
Between life and death, there is hope. But every ending has the same outcome: the Rumbling razes the earth, taking the person you love with it. Afte...
2.9M 93.8K 76
Y/N has always strived to be her very best, In hope to make her parents proud. But starts to strive harder when her town, Shiganshina falls. She deci...
333K 8.1K 59
I apologise that the first few chapters spelling are terrifying as I didn't check them but the other chapter later on in the story are double checked...
23.3K 552 68
Here is ʕっ• ᴥ • ʔっ You like her, but she doesn't know who she likes with him in the picture. (Mikasa x f!reader) All rights to the creator of AOT I d...