Mnasthai (The Order #1)

By kissmyredlips

After waking up in a different body, Fabienne Leona Sloan questioned her own sanity and struggled between rea... More

Prelude
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Final Chapter
Epilogue

Chapter Eleven

20.9K 1.2K 296
By kissmyredlips

Fabienne
One Month Ago

"Where are you, Ate? The game's about to start," Flynn grumbled on the line.

"Kakatapos lang ng class ko. Can you chill?" nakatawa kong sabi.

"Tss. It's already past your dismissal."

"I'm already on my way, Flynn." I rolled my eyes but the amusement nevert left my lips. "When are you going to get yourself a girlfriend, huh? Para hindi na ako yung ginugulo mo."

He snorted. "Sakit lang sa ulo ang mga 'yon and you're enough headache, Ate."

I laughed. "Awee. I'm touched, Flynn."

"Just hurry up!" he snided before dropping the call.

I laughingly shook my head and hid my phone. My amusement poofed when I saw my cousin walking towards my direction. Based on the distaste his face, he's got no business with me and we just happen to cross paths.

I thought hard if I was going to acknowledge him but he decided for me when he stopped as we came face to face. I mentally sighed.

"Fabie," he greeted. No. The action word that I used doesn't seem appropriate. Snide works. He spat in disgust sounds even more appropriate.

I don't kill people who hate me with kindness. I kill them with indifference.

"Gavin," I casually greeted back. I don't even need to yawn to sound disinterested.

"Grand Dad is hosting a dinner later. It was mentioned this morning. Did your family receive an invitation?"

"Yeah." I nodded. "Last week pa."

Darkness shadowed his face. His jaw was ticking from here in irritation. "Last week."

I could be smug because he's bragging an invite to a dinner that I already knew about a week ago but I honestly couldn't care less. All I want in life is peace.

"Yeah." I lifted my arm to check the time on my gold wristwatch. "I have to go. Manonood pa ako ng game ni Flynn. See you later."

He didn't respond and I also didn't give him a chance to do so. Nagmamadali ako. Flynn will be pissed if I come too late.

I hastened my way to the gym. I was just approaching the entrance but I can already hear chants and cheers. The announcer's voice echoed from the speakers.

The gym was crowded, but fortunately not crowded enough. Ayaw kong nakikipagsiksikan kaya buti na lang at 'di ganun karami ang tao.

The game was already in motion. I scanned the players who were in the game to look for my brother. Madali ko siyang nahanap. He was wearing a green jersey just like the rest of his team mates. Green for life, since he's taking up BS Biology, I guess.

The opposition is the college of Mechanical Engineering. They're wearing maroon jerseys. Inisa-isa ko ang mga mukha, baka sakaling may pamilyar sa akin but they all looked like strangers to me.

Cheers from the crowd and loud flirty squeals from some of the girls startled me. I searched for the reason of the uproar and found a guy from the Mechanical Engineering team. They were at the BS Biology's side of the court, I'm guessing that he made a steal because the ball is in his hand.

Tumakbo siya patungo sa courtside nila, kung saan ako malapit kaya kitang-kita ko ang paglapit nila sa gawi ko. I watched as the guy dribbled the ball while he ran. His eyes were sharp and focused. Two players from BS Biology ran after him and steal the ball but he was able to smoothly elude them.

He was near the ring when he finally made the jump to shoot the ball. My brother's teammate tried to block the ball but failed. Another loud cheers erupted from the crowd. Pumasok ang bola. It was followed by a buzzer and the announcer called for timeout.

The guy's face was stoic even after earning points for his team. Not even a hint of smugness or arrogance there. He was about to turn his back when his eyes locked on mine. I saw how his lips parted, like he was in a daze.

Wait. Why would he react like that after seeing me? Hindi ko naman ata siya kilala? I looked behind me to check if he was looking at someone else because that will make more sense but no one seemed conspicuous.

I turned to look at him again only to find him still staring at me. Baka kilala niya ako? Why would he be staring if not, right?

I looked at him from head to toe, trying to get a hint of anything that will make me remember him. His height easily swallowed me whole. I can tell that he has a good body built even with the jersey on. He's wearing a headband to scoop his hair back from his face.

His face... the girls aren't screaming for nothing because he looked unbelievably handsome. His face screamed lethal, like a warrior in some movie, but there's something calming about him. I just can't point out how and why.

A teammate of his patted him on the back. It broke our eye contact. The guy said something to him. He nodded before returning his eyes on me. He anxiously licked his lips before turning around and jogging back to their bench.

I shrugged and walked towards my brother's team. They were in a huddle. I easily saw Flynn. He was drinking water while listening to whoever was talking. He's probably the team's coach, I'm not completely sure because he's wearing a regular uniform which means he's just a student like the rest of us.

The buzzer blared again, signaling the recommencing of the game. The players dispersed and ran back to the court. That's the time when Flynn finally saw me. I flashed him a wide grin and enthusiastically waved. My brother smugly smiled back before following his teammates. It made me roll my eyes but the smile didn't leave my lips.

I looked for a vacant seat and settled there for the rest of the game. I clapped whenever the college of BS Biology earns points. I cheer whenever Flynn scores.

There are times na mapapatingin ako sa lalaking nakasupil at sa mga pagkakataon na 'yon ay makikita ko ang pagsulyap niya sa akin at mabilis na pag-iwas ng tingin. It did a strange reaction to my heart. It's... weird.

Tinapos ko ang laro. Unfortunately, my brother's team lost. Ilang points lang naman but Flynn wasn't happy about it. Hindi na ako nagpasundo sa driver. I told him that I'll be riding home with my brother.

The family dinner was held at Finestra. I wore a formal and elegant long sleeved black dress. Flynn wore a suit. This is the appropriate clothes for this gathering. My brother and I went there together. Si Mommy at Daddy kasi ay dederetso na sa restaurant from work.

No one wants to disappoint grandfather that's why everyone came earlier than the appointed time. Si Granddad lang ang natatanging dumating sa tamang oras.

We all stood up to greet Granddad. He brightly smiled when it was my turn to greet him. I gave him a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"Fabienne. I missed you, my little angel," he crooned.

I smiled at that. Bata pa lang ako ay 'yon na ang tawag niya sa akin. He said that I'm special and I'm an angel sent from heaven. I'm his favorite, that's obvious. It's the very reason why I can't blame why Gavin loathes my existence. I'm not saying that I should be blamed for being the favorite. It's his own greed that fuels his hate for me. His greed for power and money.

When the dinner started, the adults mostly talked while I quietly ate and contented myself with observing.

"How about you, kids? How's school?" Granddad looked at us one by one.

"My research paper won and I was chosen to present it in Singapore next week, Granddad," Gavin arrogantly bragged.

"Really? That's good, that's good." My Granddad heartily laughed. He turned to me and my brother. "How about you two? Are your chosen paths still fulfilling?"

"It's interesting." Flynn shrugged.

Granddad nodded before transferring his attention to me. "How about you, Fabienne? How's CE?"

"I love it, Granddad. I enjoy our laboratories the most. In our recent activity, we're learning how to identify the composition of liquid substances."

"That's amazing, Fabienne. I really hoped you chose Medicine since you'll be inheriting Mary Claire but then again, you grew up in the hospital. So, there's no need for that. You already know everything you need to know by heart," he proudly said.

My lips parted. Grandfather didn't just say that in a whim. He plans to make me the heiress of Mary Claire. My parents already had a feeling about it but this is the first time that Granddad addressed it, making their suspicions official. It was an informal announcement but his words sealed it.

"What, father? You mean Fabienne's going to acquire Mary Claire?" Aunt Diana, Gavin's mother, asked.

"Do I have to repeat myself, Diana?" Grandfather said in jest.

"But... H-How about Gavin? He took up Medicine and he's studying so hard-"

"Are you questioning my decision?" The amusement in his voice was gone. He sounded serious now.

Aunt Diana visibly paled and shrunk on her seat. "No, father."

Grandfather cleared his throat and smiled. "Now, who wants ice cream for dessert?"

Fabienne
Present

My cousin, Gavin Sloan, normally spends his free time inside the library. I know this because most of my vacant periods back when I was alive, I was in the library, too. Sometimes I'll see him and each time he'll send me a death glare before walking out. His hate for me intensified when our grandfather announced my inheritance.

Papasok na ako ako ng library nang makita ko ang poster sa bulletin board. It's a poster from the swimming team. They'll be hosting a tryout. Seeing it made my heart ache a bit. It's hard to accept but I know they're looking for my replacement.

My thoughts continued until Olive crossed my mind. One of my suspects. Hmm... It's scheduled this coming Saturday. I don't have to read the rest of the announcement. I already know the requirements.

After plotting in my head, I resumed with my tracks and focused on my mission for today. I need to find out Gavin's alibi. He's got a motive, he has access in the university and he knew my schedule. He knew I loved going to the laboratory which means he knew I'll be there that night.

I had to wait for a few minutes. Akala ko nga ay wala pa si Gavin. I was ready to leave when I saw him walking towards the Filipiniano section of the library. It's his usual place here in the library because it's the most secluded and only a few students go there. He was walking but his eyes were glued to his phone. Perfect.

I quickly lifted my bag and scooped my books. Instead of avoiding him like I used to do, I made sure that our paths will cross and I'll end up bumping into him.

"Oh my God!" I exclaimed and let my books fall on the floor.

"Shit. I'm sorry," Gavin stated and quickly crouched to pick up the books that I dropped. Yumuko rin ako para makipulot I let him pick up the bait that I prepared for him.

It's a medical mystery book called Harvest by Tess Gerritsen. My cousin is such a sucker for books under that genre. He even bought a first edition of his favorite book! It's his most prized possession. He always brags about it.

"Here." He handed me the books. "I'm really sorry."

"Thank you." I sheepishly smiled. "I'm sorry, too. Hindi kasi ako nakatingin."

Gavin smiled. I almost gaped at him for it. Ito yata ang unang beses na ngumiti siya sa akin. Well, technically, he's not smiling at me... but still. Nakakagulat. It looks... weird.

"Medical mystery, huh?" he commented. Gotcha. I inwardly smirked.

I feigned my widened eyes. "You know Harvest?"

"I've read it." He nodded and scrunched his nose in distaste. He's obviously not a fan of this book. I already anticipated that. "But it reminds me too much of Robin Cook's Coma. Have you read that one?"

I already expected him to bring this up. Gavin is so predictable!

"Hindi pa," sagot ko kahit ang totoo ay nabasa ko na. "Is it really that good?"

"It's my favorite. You should read it!" he enthusiastically replied.

I timidly smiled at him. "You're into medical mysteries?"

"It's my drug." He chuckled. He fixed his stance and offered me his hand. "I'm Gavin by the way. You are?"

I grinned and accepted his hand. "Kinsley."

"Excuse me..." A girl's voice interrupted us from our conversation. I released his hand in surprise and looked at the girl who went past us.

"Ay, nakaharang pala tayo." I let out a girly laugh. Kinsley's voice is perfect for this. She's probably damn good at flirting.

"Oh. Should we sit somewhere so we can continue our discussion?"

I evilly smiled inside my head. I gave him an enthusiastic nod. "Sure."

Nauna si Gavin sa paglalakad patungo

"You should really read Coma before that." Gavin gave the book in front of me a stinky eye.

I easily laughed. "I actually want to read Coma first but I can't find a physical copy anywhere. Ayaw kong nagbabasa ng e-books."

"A woman after my own heart." Gavin chuckled.

He paused for a moment while openly staring at me. His eyes sparked interest. He's attracted to Kinsley. I can tell. Now... I don't know if I'm going to be disgusted or what because duh? Incest.

"I actually have a copy at home."

I feigned a surprised and amazed face. "Really?"

"Yeah, but I can't bring it out of our library though. It's a first edition. I can't risk it." He grimaced a little.

My heart skipped a beat. Our library. It's in the Sloan mansion. I want to go. Gusto ko ulit makatapak sa mansion. This is my only chance to do that. Maybe I can convince him into inviting me to our mansion?

I acted as disappointed as I can. I hope you don't mind if I borrow your charms a bit, Kinsley.

"Oh, ganun ba? Sayang naman..." I looked down, sagged my shoulders, and slightly pouted my lips for effect.

Gavin didn't say anything for a while. I had to peek to check if he's looking at me. Nakatingin pa rin naman siya at mukhang pinag-iisipan nang mabuti habang kagat pa ang kanyang labi.

Come on, Gavin. Take the bait.

I decided to make a move. I heavily sighed and sat up straight. I scooped up my books and checked my watch. It's like I'm playing a freaking chess game.

"Una na ako. I stil have to buy a booklet sa bookstore." Tumayo na ako. His eyebrows were raised and he seemed alarmed at the fact that I'm leaving. "It was a pleasure meeting you."

I turned to leave but I heard the sudden screeching of a chair. It was followed by Gavin's voice, "Wait."

Hindi ako agad lumingon. A smirk played on my lips. Hmm... Bakit kaya?

I morphed the smirk into a sweet smile before facing Gavin. "Yes?"

Gavin licked his lips. His earnest eyes pierced me with obvious interest. He flashed a boyish smile, hiding his queasiness a bit. "How fast can you read?"

I didn't hide my happiness. I grinned widely.

Checkmate.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

275 21 20
when Roxanne Amacara, the worlds favorite pop star, finds out she is going to star in her first movie, a film called s.p.y., she is very excited. The...
3.3K 115 16
Christina Ross tried to kill herself when she was 17. Her best friend, Mikey Way, saved her life. Now, she lives in Cali, studying to become a nurse...
112 0 12
A shut in girl dreams of living in her games, the action, the mystery, the adventure all of it, she dreams of living in their wold, but when her comp...
The Painting By Col

Mystery / Thriller

133K 8.7K 94
"It took me five seconds to fall. The impact on my chest jarring my body but not my mind. I suppose this is the point where your life is supposed to...