Finding Him

By Abigail_77

Nikki Larson was ripped from her first love, Dex Harrison, at the age of thirteen. Heartbroken and angry, she... More

Finding Him
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Epilogue

Chapter Ten

7.8K 259 30
By Abigail_77

I sit with Nix on my lap, running my fingers over her velvety ears. I am late for dinner. Mom is going to flip, but I know that with Will there she will at least take it easy on me. The ride home is silent, but Will keeps one hand in mine.

I really love Will, and today is sending me reeling. I should just sit down with Dex and explain to him that I can't be anything other than good friends. Will was enough for me. Sure, Dex was great. He was my greatest source of comfort when I was young. I didn't need that comfort now. I was perfectly content with Will.

We pull into my lot and stare up at the brick house with solemn eyes. Nothing waited for me behind that door expect hatred and a bed I could barely sleep in. Will leans over and looks at me with his beautiful brown eyes. Searching his eyes, I try to find that little jolt and spark inside me. It horrifies me when I find nothing there but a pair of brown eyes.

I return the look regardless, and he kisses me softly on the lips. It was one of those kisses that left you wondering of it was real, or just a dream. I smile up at him and pet Nix's head gingerly.

"Thank you," I whisper, running a hand through his flop of sandy brown hair.

"No problem, Nix," he says, brushing tendrils of hair away from my face. The real Nix yelps in my lap and licks my finger.

I laugh and hold Nix up to his face, "Sorry, Will, but I don't think you can call me Nix! Otherwise, Nix might get confused." I wiggle Nix in his face and he laughs, petting her back with his callused hands.

"Who says I was talking to you?" Will teases, a smirk lifting his slightly chapped lips.

I stick out my tongue like a child and hop out of the car before he can open the door for me. Smiling, I watch as Nix jumps out of the car and stands by my feet obediently. Will scowls and steps out of the car.

"Get in the car, Nikki," he commands opening the door for me. I shake my head and Nix barks, wagging her tail.

His brows furrow together and he points his finger at the leather seat. "Nope," I say, popping the 'p'.

Stepping back, Will approaches me and I giggle, running towards my door with Nix on my heels.

"Nikki," he warns, jogging after me.

"What?" I ask innocently, turning my head over my shoulder. Nix yips and races towards the door.

Suddenly, Will has his arms around me and is hoisting me over his shoulder by the waist. How could I forget that he is on a football team and has to run up and down the field everyday?! Of course, he can catch me!

Laughing, I pound my fists on his butt. He has a really cute butt. He doesn't slow his stride towards my door. I hook my fingers in his jeans and yank up hard.

"Please tell me that wasn't an attempt at a wedgie," Will laughs, tickling my feet.

"Nope, but I was trying to trip you," I respond, trying to contain my laughter as he tickles me.

"Bad, Nikki," Will sings, poking my leg.

He slips me down at the door, and he pulls me into a kiss. I wrap my arms around his neck and he lifts me up so that my toes barely touch the ground. Lifting my hand to twine with his hair, he slides his hands down my back. Will's minty breath flutters my hair, and I trail my nose down his jaw. I kiss his neck and he groans against my cheek. He kisses me gingerly and bites my earlobe. I let out a breathy laugh when I feel Nix nibbling on my toes.

I'm just about to tell Will to put me down when I hear her icy voice from the door, "What is that, Nicole?"

I gasp and look up. Mom's manicured hands are pointed towards Nix with disgust. Will puts me down and takes my hand, keeping his eyes trained on my face.

"Will bought her for me for my birthday. She's cute, isn't she?" I say, scooping Nix up with my free hand and holding her close to my body.

"How are you going to afford that?" She questions, placing her hand on her pajama clad hip. Her blond hair is down in messy waves and she holds a glass of wine in one hand.

"Will is going to help me pay for the expenses," I say, looking up at Will. She purses her lips and looks Will up and down for a moment. I feel desperation rising inside me. I just want to go to my room and shut the door.

"Why would you do that? Nicole is dirty, lying cheat," she says, her eyes regarding me with hatred and disgust. I gape, dropping Will's hand. I place Nix down carefully and she runs inside, making Mom stare down at her as she makes her escape.

"Excuse me," Will asks, looking at me with a pained expression on his face. The pain and confusion etched into his perfect features makes me want to cry. I shake my head, but he looks at my Mom expectantly.

"She's cheating on you with Dex," Mom says, conviction written all over her face. She smirks at me and takes a casual sip of her wine.

"What," he spits, looking at me with pain and anger in his usually warm eyes.

"Mom," I choke, biting my lip so hard it bleeds. Why does she have to be so mean to me?! I didn't do anything to her! I didn't do anything! I feel my face scrunching with tears and my throat constricts, making it hard to breathe. She wants to ruin every good thing in my life. I look at Will pleadingly, begging him to see through her lies. Doubt surfaces for a minute in his eyes, but it is quickly replaced by rage.

"I knew it! I knew it, Nikki! He was holding your hand when you were in the hospital! Nikki, what is wrong with you?! Why can't you just stick with me?! You don't have to cheat just because he was one of your first little boyfriends or whatever! I can't believe this! After everything I've done for you, Nikki! I can't believe this! Wait, I can believe this! You were always a sucker for guys! As soon as they take interest in you, you are all over them!" Wills screams, his face going red and his voice seeping anger.

I don't know whether I am more hurt by the fact that my Mom would do this or that he believes her, that he expects this of me. I turn towards Mom and she has a smug look on her face.

"Will, I'm not cheating on you! She's lying, Will! Are you so thick headed that you can't even see that! She wants to ruin everything in my life because she hates me! If you would realize that maybe I would forgive you except now that I know you expect this of me I guess you should just leave," I scream, anger filling me and hot tears spilling down my face.

"Oh, you expect me to apologize for believing in the truth! It is so obvious that you have feelings for him! You are just trying to cover up for yourself! Don't want word to get out that sweet, innocent little Nikki is a cheat, do we?" Will shouts.

I shrink back and shoot a hateful glance at Mom. "I'm not cheating on you," I murmur, keeping my eyes on the concrete porch.

"Whatever, Nikki. Call me when you get your priorities straight," he says, pulling the keys to his truck out of his pocket.

"Will..." I plead, grabbing his arm. He considers for a moment, his eyes sparkling in the light of the crescent moon. It is such a pretty night. Why do bad things have to happen on beautiful nights like this? The water splashes against the shore in the distance and echoes of kids laughing fly on the wind. I beg Will mentally to think about it. He knows the lengths my Mom goes to just to bring me down.

"Let go," he snarls, ripping his arm away before I can remove it myself. Tears quiver in the corner of my eyes, but a quickly wipe it away. There is no use in crying; it doesn't fix anything.

I watch as he stomps to his car and punches the gas up the street, leaving me standing alone, staring at the exhaust that disappears into the air.

Mom clears her throat in the background and I whirl around to look at her. She smirks and runs a hand through her hair. "It's rude to miss dinner, Nicole," she says, turning on her heel and walking away.

She wants a reaction, so I'm not going to give her one. I grab my phone calmly and punch Allison's number.

"Hello," she answers, her voice soft and chipper.

"I need you to come pick up my dog," I say, not wanting to explain. Allison had three dogs at her house so I knew she had the supplies to take care of Nix.

"Since when do you have a dog?" Allison asks, confusion evident in her voice.

"Will bought her for me, but we had a fight because of some things my Mom said and I need you to pick up Nix, the dog. I don't have anything to take care of her with," I blurt, feeling the tears creep up again.

"OK, I'm on way. Do you want to talk about it?" She asks, shuffling noises coming from her side of the line.

"No," I choke, a tear escaping my eye.

"OK, we will talk about it later then," she says, her engine revving in the background.

"Thanks, Al," I whisper.

"No problem, babe," she responds before hitting the 'end' button.

I walk inside and grab Nix. She yips happily as I carry her to my room. I really just want to sleep so I grab a box from under my bed and put her inside. I scribble a short note to Allison and slip it in as well. Placing the box outside, Nix whines and I pet her head quickly before darting back inside.

"Goodnight, Nicole," Mom sings, sarcasm evident in her voice.

I run into my room and slip into the covers fully clothed. Burying my face in a pillow, I let the first sob rip through my throat.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 45.3K 48
{ Completed } He thought he did the right thing by keeping his occupation a secret, but when the truth comes out, he loses the only person that ever...
718 19 11
GirlxGirl Claire was with Sam for a few months but when she catches Sam at a party with another girl, she trips. Anybody would if their girlfriend or...
34.6K 1.3K 47
[COMPLETED] All she wants is to forget her past and start over. All he wants is to never fall in love. When Jenna moves from Seattle to a small town...
Hand In Hand By Jess

Teen Fiction

515K 11.3K 42
Ally is a regular teenage girl. Her father died when she was 12 and she lives with her mother and little brother Cody. She goes to high school in an...