His Innocent Rose (Hinley Man...

By RaeySam

-Damian Davensport- He was the next Duke of Hinley and all of his Father's responsibilities fell into his sho... More

Chapter One: The Master is Home
Chapter Two: Engaged and Enraged
Chapter Three: An accident
Chapter Four: Old stirrings
Chapter Five: Hesitation for decisions
Chapter Six: The Chase
Chapter Seven: Cornered
Chapter Eight: A motherly offer
Chapter Nine: Morning ride after
Chapter Ten: Unwanted confession
Chapter Eleven: A lady's plan
Chapter Twelve: Lordly Encounters
Chapter Thirteen: Suprise guest
Chapter Fourteen: Ripped feelings
Chapter Sixteen: Steps taken and another to take
Chapter Seventeen: Family dinner
Chapter Eighteen: Unguarded impulse
Chapter Nineteen: Plan gone wrong
Chapter Twenty: Abducted
Chapter Twenty-One: That white dress
Chapter Twenty-Two: Men talk
Chapter Twenty-Three: Unveiling
Chapter Twenty-Four: A Tryst
Chapter Twenty-Five: Afternoon tea
Chapter Twenty-Six: His Majesty
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Handful
Chapter Twenty-eight: It's a must
Chapter twenty-nine: Day before the wedding
Chapter Thirty: Night before the wedding
Chapter Thirty-one: Tying the knot
Chapter Thirty-two: Mine
Chapter Thirty-three: Who are you?
Chapter 34: The departure
Chapter 35: Hand me downs
Chapter 36: One rainy afternoon
Chapter 37: Dew drops
Chapter 38: Fire
Chapter 39: Royal ride
Chapter 40: Seductress
Chapter 41: The City
Chapter 42: Dinner party
Chapter 43: Escort
Chapter 44: Noble guests
Chapter 45: Corsets
Chapter 46: Blush
Chapter 47: Allerdale Rooms
Chapter 48: Confused for love
Chapter 49: The first suitor
Chapter 50: Princely intervention
Chapter 51: Presumed scandal
Chapter 52: Curiosity
Chapter 53: Seemingly challenge
Chapter 54: Knight's bell tower
Chapter 55: Surrender
Chapter 56: Scheme
Chapter 57: On bended knee
Chapter 58: Engaged and Enraged...again
Chapter 59: Knight over flowers
Chapter 60: The helpful prince
Chapter 61: Search and you shall find
Chapter 62: What is the truth?
Chapter 63: Barfield
Chapter 64: The final piece
Chapter 65: Under siege
Chapter 66: Unveiling, once more
Chapter 67: Habsurg
Chapter 68: Rheinhold
Chapter 69: Bloodline
70: Love and Protection
Author's note

Chapter Fifteen: One desirable meeting

140 9 1
By RaeySam

"Sometimes, when things are falling apart that's when they may actually be falling into place."
-Unknown

⚜️
The next day was a busy one. Lucille had called upon her friends to help organise the upcoming wedding.

There were florists, cooks, musicians and decorators. It was expected that it will be a grand wedding. The Davensport's planned to have the celebration in the garden and the wedding will be held at the gazebo.

Between the ruckus of the crowd, Em found herself making notes on the florists' requests so she can take it to the Duchess herself. After yesterday, Lucille had formally taken her in as a companion. She was to report directly to her and not to Ana.

At first, Em was reluctant. She had never done this before and she was afraid to make mistakes. All her life she had been helping Ana around the kitchen and have known hard labor since.

When the florist finally told her to go, she ran to the sun room where Lucille was finishing her dress. She found the Duchess alone.

"Your Grace."

"Oh, it's you dear. Come sit.."

Em took the chair while Lucille stood with the nearly finished dress. It was prettier than yesterday, she couldn't wait to try it on.

"How are the preparations going on?

"The musicians have requested to have a stage erected by the grounds and Oscar had supervised the men who will work on it, the cooks have agreed to divide the pastries and main dishes on all their people.." she flipped the paper and checked the list, "and the florist wanted to know if you'd want violets or roses for the gazebo?"

"Hmmm, I suppose we can go for roses. The theme is already of lavender, violets will be redundant. Don't you think so?"

Em smiled, "I knew you'd prefer roses, Your Grace.."

"We'll, we do have a garden of it. Why not make use of them? Besides, it's not like everyday I'd get to see my first born son get married."

She merely nodded. Everyday marked the remainder of how long Damian will be a bachelor. She have less than two weeks but her heart had already bid it's goodbyes. They can never be together. There's no use of even hoping.

"Seems to me that one of my children is avoiding me. Do you have any ideas why, Rose?"

Em stared at the Duchess, "You mean Lady Julianna? I believe she was with her governess Your Grace. I can call her if you would like."

"Oh no. She's taking her lessons, best not disturb them. I was talking about my other son."

"Oh."

Now that she thought about it, she hasn't seen Dathan since his arrival yesterday. When dinner was served it was just the Duke and Duchess with Lady Julianna on the dining room. Damian had gone to the town and met with some old time friends. He was absent this morning for breakfast because he came home very drunk last night.

"Would you see if you can find Dathan for me dear? I would like to talk to that rascal."

He wasn't really a rascal. It was Duchess Lucille's way of endearment to her mischievous offspring.

"I will see what I can do Your Grace. After I tell the florist what flower you preferred."

Lucille nodded and went back to sewing. Em closed the door and went back downstairs.

"Emelia.."

"Evangeline. How are you today?"

"I am well." But her eyes had dark circles, she wasn't able to sleep well, that was very evident. "Where are you headed?" She noticed that Em no longer wore the uniform working clothes like the other maids.

Em noticed her staring and explained, "I am The Duchess' companion but only recently. But I'm off to the florist."

She let silence sit on them. The handmaiden was obviously wondering why would a scullery maid be suddenly promoted. Em feigned innocence and remembered what she had to do.
"Oh my. I have to find the Paul Jean—the florist. The Duchess wanted to decorate the gazebo with roses instead of violets. I'm off to tell him."

"I see. Quite a crowd we have here don't we?"

"You should see the garden, there were more service people out there."

Evangeline laughed, "Mayhap I can go around and see if I can help."

"You are not wanted?"

She shook her head, "My mistress is indisposed. She wished to be alone. These monthly cycles are quiet hard in her."

Em would've disagreed, she and Samantha did not have troubles with their monthly cycles. Others suffered from stomach and back pains. They were on of the few who were lucky. But she did not voiced out her opinions.

"I can have Ana send her tea. That helps."

"That's a wonderful idea. But, I'll do it. See you around Emelia."

Em went to the florist and delivered the news. Once they have passed the information to the decorators, she sought out Dathan.

Knowing his dislike about parties, he would often hide himself in the library. She tried it first but it was empty. Her hand closed on the knob when she caught a slight movement inside.

"Dathan? Are you in here?"

There was a grunt but she couldn't see anyone. Em went inside and closed the door behind her. The drapes were drawn and the library was dark. She pawed her way inside, she knew were the furnitures were.

"Is someone in here?" She called.

Her ears picked up a rustle of clothes but because the room was dark, she couldn't tell where it was. Her hands landed on the couch, if her memory served her right, the fireplace should be across the room.

She made her way around the couch and took tentative steps. There was always a box of matches somewhere, if she could just find them then she can get a little light here.

About two steps later her foot gave away as she bumped into another person's leg. Em landed on her side but the person's body broke her fall. If it had been just her, her pretty face would've kissed the floor now. A hand came around her waist.

"Is that you Em?" Called the voice.

"Dathan?"

"Well, isn't this a surprise?"

She felt him smile though she couldn't see him. Based on his voice he was fighting not to laugh. Well, at least she found him.

"Do tell why you are lying on the floor? Have you forgotten where your room was?"

"I can ask you the same thing." There was a hint of tease on that voice of his.

It was only then she realized their position. She laid on her side facing him while their legs laid on top of each other's. Dathan's arm held her waist and drew her close. She could almost feel his breath against her face.

"I fell. The room was dark and I did not know you were down here. You must've kicked my foot while I was walking."

He chuckled, "Apologies Em. I couldn't see a thing either. I thought I was dreaming when you called my name. But you're really here, aren't you?"

"Yes, I am here. You're not dreaming. Though you might be still drunk. Could you please let me go and help me stand?"

He was quiet for a heartbeat, "I don't think I'm still drunk. I had a few drinks last night and I must've dozed off."

"On the floor." She retorted.

"Yeah. On the floor." He laughed, "Tell me... how did a lovely young thing came to be here?"

Em rolled her eyes, "Your mother sent me to get you. It seems you have been missed since yesterday."

"Is that so?"

"Please tell me you did not plan to evade your family."

His fingers began to rub on her waist, making small circles. She wasn't ticklish but it bothered her that a simple gesture made her warm. Dathan would never take advantage of her. He sees her as a sister. She tried to push herself back and give enough space between them.

"Are you scared of me Emelia?"

She stiffened. This was Dathan, her childhood friend. Her employer's son. He may have been a bully but he never did not harm her. All those pranks were nothing. But why did she feel the need to elude his touches? Why did he have such effect on her body that her toes tingled all the way up? In fact, she felt them yesterday, too. The way he held her close as his eyes stared down at her. It did not feel like he wanted to hold her like a sister. It was very manly. For a moment she thought he was going to kiss her!

"W-what are you talking about Dathan? Why would I be scared of you?"

"You're pulling away from me, aren't you?"

"Well. This is not a very comfortable position and I've never lain on the floor before."

"Then allow me to make you comfortable."

Dathan rose from his elbows and pushed Em on her back so she laid staring up to him. He carefully straddled her body without crushing her with his weight. His hands braced on her sides while she gaped up at him.

"Now, is this better?" He asked.

Em's face was flushed and her ears were very hot. What in the world did he just do? She put up her hands and was met with a hard muscled chest, she tried to push him back but to no avail.

"If this is one of your pranks Dathan, it is not funny. Get off me!"

He caught her wrist and planted them above her head, he leaned closer that she could smell the faint scent of wine as he whispered, "I do not mean this to be funny Emelia. We aren't kids anymore. There are far more indulging things I planned to do with you."

Em stiffened but fought not to show she was nervous, "What things?"

His face turned and she felt his lips brushed her cheeks, another warm tingling sensation washed over her. Heavens. How is he doing that?

"Oh many things. But for now, I'd like to kiss you Em."

"What?!"

She felt his eyes on her and after several blinking moments she was able to discern his profile. Her eyes had adjusted to the dark. She saw his dark blue eyes locked with hers. His mouth just above her lips. He did not appear to be drunk anymore. Dathan was serious. She gulped.

"Em?" His voice was asking for permission.

"Dathan, you can't be serious! It's me, Emelia. The funny little girl you used to play with. I'm a scullery maid here. Why would you want to kiss me?"

His eyes darkened more as if he was trying to burn her with blue flame, "You are no longer a little girl Em. You have grown into a beautiful woman. And you have been more than just a scullery maid to us. You mean more to me."

Her heart was beating wildly and she feared it would snap out of her chest. What has gotten into him? Yesterday he was all jolly and happy to see her again. She thought he did not change. That he would still treat her the same.

"Dathan, I think you need to rest. You may have taken more wine than usual."

"I assure you Em, I'm very much sober."

"Then get off me before someone comes in here. There are a lot people outside. It will just be a matter of time before that door opens."

"Are you nervous? You sound nervous."

"I'm warning you Dathan, this isn't funny. I have no time for your jokes."

"Make time for this."

He swooped down and pressed his lips on hers. Em could no longer talk back.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.4K 716 39
**THE PRINCESS SERIES is part of the GOLDEN UNIVERSE, and considered a sequel to THE GOLDEN QUEEN/A BRAZEN LOVE** ♦YOU MUST HAVE READ THE GOLDEN UNIV...
5.2K 420 31
Sequel to "Escape from the Witch Hunters" Jack kept walking towards her and Ami kept backing up until finally she hit the wall. "Why are you doing th...
2.6K 38 59
Wiping the tears with his thumb, he softly cupped my face to meet his . "Baby will you marry me." he whispered to me as he held on to my body so I c...
23.7K 1.1K 31
Her back was turned to me, but I still recognised the supple leather armour curved round her body. The first thing I noticed was that her helmet was...