His Innocent Rose (Hinley Man...

By RaeySam

-Damian Davensport- He was the next Duke of Hinley and all of his Father's responsibilities fell into his sho... More

Chapter One: The Master is Home
Chapter Two: Engaged and Enraged
Chapter Three: An accident
Chapter Four: Old stirrings
Chapter Five: Hesitation for decisions
Chapter Seven: Cornered
Chapter Eight: A motherly offer
Chapter Nine: Morning ride after
Chapter Ten: Unwanted confession
Chapter Eleven: A lady's plan
Chapter Twelve: Lordly Encounters
Chapter Thirteen: Suprise guest
Chapter Fourteen: Ripped feelings
Chapter Fifteen: One desirable meeting
Chapter Sixteen: Steps taken and another to take
Chapter Seventeen: Family dinner
Chapter Eighteen: Unguarded impulse
Chapter Nineteen: Plan gone wrong
Chapter Twenty: Abducted
Chapter Twenty-One: That white dress
Chapter Twenty-Two: Men talk
Chapter Twenty-Three: Unveiling
Chapter Twenty-Four: A Tryst
Chapter Twenty-Five: Afternoon tea
Chapter Twenty-Six: His Majesty
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Handful
Chapter Twenty-eight: It's a must
Chapter twenty-nine: Day before the wedding
Chapter Thirty: Night before the wedding
Chapter Thirty-one: Tying the knot
Chapter Thirty-two: Mine
Chapter Thirty-three: Who are you?
Chapter 34: The departure
Chapter 35: Hand me downs
Chapter 36: One rainy afternoon
Chapter 37: Dew drops
Chapter 38: Fire
Chapter 39: Royal ride
Chapter 40: Seductress
Chapter 41: The City
Chapter 42: Dinner party
Chapter 43: Escort
Chapter 44: Noble guests
Chapter 45: Corsets
Chapter 46: Blush
Chapter 47: Allerdale Rooms
Chapter 48: Confused for love
Chapter 49: The first suitor
Chapter 50: Princely intervention
Chapter 51: Presumed scandal
Chapter 52: Curiosity
Chapter 53: Seemingly challenge
Chapter 54: Knight's bell tower
Chapter 55: Surrender
Chapter 56: Scheme
Chapter 57: On bended knee
Chapter 58: Engaged and Enraged...again
Chapter 59: Knight over flowers
Chapter 60: The helpful prince
Chapter 61: Search and you shall find
Chapter 62: What is the truth?
Chapter 63: Barfield
Chapter 64: The final piece
Chapter 65: Under siege
Chapter 66: Unveiling, once more
Chapter 67: Habsurg
Chapter 68: Rheinhold
Chapter 69: Bloodline
70: Love and Protection
Author's note

Chapter Six: The Chase

166 8 0
By RaeySam

"Sometimes the biggest risks are those we take with our hearts."
-Euriano

⚜️
The welcoming party was packed. Servants of all classes flocked in groups to Hinley Manor. The Davensport's owned acres of land that the people worked for them, and parties such as these, are their ways of giving back to them. Also, everyone gets to dress up whatever they wanted.

Em donned a red cloak around her petite form, a sizeable hood covered most of her face. She let her hair down in a long braid with nothing but a dratted cloth to tie it. She adjusted the straps that held her bow and arrow, for tonight, she was dressed as a hunter. One more look at the mirror told her she was unrecognizable. Save perhaps for the bruise on her cheek. She tried her best to dab it with powder and it was much concealed.

"You look dashing.."

She turned and saw Samantha, "I am a hunter, I can't be dashing. What are you supposed to be?"

Sam glided inside the her room and gave her a twirl, "I'm a ghost."

"A what?"

But she knew she heard her friend right, Sam had rumpled her hair to look like a bedraggled urchin and wore a tattered white dress. Her lips were painted red as if she had smeared her face with blood.

"You dressed to hide your identity, I plan to go out and meet me a nice young man."

Em laughed, "And sort of man would have trysts with a ghost?"

"Oh, you know. Men who liked excitement."

Em let her friend humour her and went out to the party.
*****
Lydia sipped on her drink, it was far too sweet for her taste. She longed for a cold, bitter taste of ale. Or anything stronger than apple juice. Her eyes looked around, she didn't recognize anyone. Save for her hand maiden who stood next to her.

"Are you alright M'lady?"

"Yes, I am Evangeline."

"The Davensport's did well, didn't they? I haven't seen so many service people in one gathering."

Lydia looked at her hand maiden, she had been with her for so long. They were friends and she trusted her more than anyone else. For tonight though, she knew Evangeline itched to mingle with her kind.

"Go," Lydia pushed her, "dance and be merry."

Evangeline looked at her, startled at the sudden command, "Is it alright M'lady?"

"Yes. Enjoy yourself Evangeline, do not fret about me."

She did not need another word to do so, she let a neat looking lad take her to the dance floor. There, she truly looked like she belonged.

Lydia sighed and leaned against the wall, she had never imagined herself a wall flower. In fact, she enjoyed parties and dances. It did not matter where it was so as long as she gets to have her fun. There was music and merriment in Hinley Manor, her future home. There were tables of food and refreshment for all, men have asked her to danced and she politely refused them. Why? She did not know.

It was not because she was a Lady and they were below her station, she danced with service people before and she quite enjoyed it. There were no pretences with them, everything was out in the open. But still, she turned them down. Why again?

Her eyes strayed across the room, searching for anything familiar and she saw what she was looking for. The blonde hair and muscular arms were easy to distinguish, there weren't that many blonde men around here. Plus, he was wearing a fairer clothing than any of the men. He stood with authority and his body language set him apart from the rest. Lydia found herself ogling her fiancé.

Damian felt that someone was staring at him but he simply shrugged it away. He was gone for five years, of course people would stare at him. They'll see how he's changed from a naive young boy to a handsome young lord. He was currently conversing with his father's friends and was already bored. He wanted to do something else, move around, dance and drink. There were several women who threw him inviting glances and he could almost see their need. But he did not plan to chase skirts, he was pining for her to come.

Another blast of music sounded from the end of the room and the dancers switched to another set. His eyes struggled to see where she could be but he'd seen all the raven haired women, both from highborn to service people, yet he couldn't find her.

Cutting off the conversation with Lord Bennington, Damian excused himself and went to the refreshments table. He found wine and poured himself a cup. It tasted sweet and brought warmth to his stomach, there, finally something to help him clear his head. On the side of his vision, he saw a trail of pale skirts walking towards him.

"Drinking so early My Lord?"

Damian turned and allowed his gaze to look her up and down, not bad, "Would you like one Lady Warrick?"

Lydia flushed, would the man ever call her by her name? But she shook her head and raised her own cup to toast with his.

"I already have a drink, but thank you."

"I see." He poured another one for himself.

"Are you enjoying the party Damian?"

"Sort of. You?"

"I was just getting bored actually, I really want to stretch my legs for a bit."

She was hinting for him to take her to dancing, blast it, propriety does not work with this man. Might as well strike now.

Damian caught on her words and he wanted to drive her away, he'd rather be back with Lord Bennington and discuss his breed of horses than dance with his fiancee. It's not that Lady Lydia looked awful, in fact she looked very beautiful tonight. Her pink muslin gown hugged her figure and the cloth was cut off so her shoulders were bare. He'd seen men gander at her but they soon looked away when they realized who she was. Every fibre of her spoke of gentry.

"Would like a dance Lady Warrick?"

Lydia could not hide her surprise and so did Damian. Because to get her away from her, he'll have to give her what she wanted. He offered his arm to her which she gladly accepted.

The crowd parted away from them and he held his fiancee on his arms, the musician played a waltz and they were joined by other couples.

Lydia was smiling to herself, it worked. A little push and Damian can actually be a tolerable man. She kept up with his long strides and found herself enjoying his presence. Damian danced well and she fitted her body comfortably with his. She saw the Duke and Duchess watching them, a smile on Lady Lucille's lips. She thought they looked good together.

Damian brought her to the centre of the dance floor and thought she couldn't be more ecstatic. He was enjoying it, too. She could tell. She pulled him closer to her as they were twirling around and she caught his scent. A mixture of sweet wine and cigar. What a masculine scent this was.

"How are your legs Lady Warrick?"

"Lydia," she breathed, "call me Lydia, please."

Damian paused and reconsidered, "How are your legs Lydia?"

"It's fine Damian, the dance is making them feel alive again."

They fell into a comfortably silence and finished the dance. He planned to ditch her, she could tell that too. But she planned otherwise, she tiptoed and planted a kiss on his cheek. It caught him off guard.

"What are you doing?" He asked.

"What? Am I not allowed to kiss my fiancé?"

"Don't be a fool Lydia, people will talk."

"Let them talk. We are to be married."

He scoffed and pulled her away from the crowd, she thought he stiffened for a moment but it was gone instantly, "It is not my plan to marry you Lady Warrick. This is but a simple arrangement. Until then, behave yourself like a real Lady."

Lydia dropped her jaw, he dared lecture her how to be a lady? When in fact she did it for them, to show these service people and highborns that they are a team. If the people did not see them as a couple how did he expect them to rule them?

"You had your dance, now I want my time alone." Damian left her there and walked away.

Her fury was rising again, no one walked away from Lydia Warrick! She'll show him what a lady she indeed was.

Lifting her skirts she followed the path he took, it wasn't easy because a lot of people wanted to talk to her, congratulate her for having snagged the Duke. But she had no time for them. She managed to catch Damian's fleeting form before he disappeared behind a curtain.

She ducked and followed, it led her to dark hallway. Her hands felt the walls to guide her path, she could hear voices up ahead. She carefully carried her skirts to avoid making any noise.

"...why can't you come with me?"

Damian's voice was just around the corner. Lydia pressed herself against the wall and listened. Who was he talking to?

"Leave me alone Damian."

It was a woman. Damnation. She caught him with his mistress!

"Please, Rose. I may not have another chance."

"We can't Damian. You know we can't."

"I love you Rose."

There was a paused but the she heard a response, "I love you, too Damian.."

Lydia fled from the hallway and did not care if she made her presence known. She had to get away. Tears sprung to her eyes.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 132 20
"Stay away from me, don't talk to me except if it is about my son or about something very important. And lastly don't fall in love with me" he said "...
159K 6.1K 20
The Second Book in the Bride Series Katharine was a peasant girl, living in the streets of Paris when the Lady Eleanor found her and turned her into...
236K 10.8K 33
****Copyrighted**** 'Tell me you don't feel it.' He whispered against my lips, and the trembling that had ceased at the feel of his lips against mine...
135K 8.6K 39
She did not want to match with one of his kind; he did not want to match at all. Lillian Adams was set to inherit her father's dukedom- once she had...