Almost There

By MinaParkes

Tess Morrison is struggling. Suffering from an anxiety disorder after a tragic accident that claimed the life... More

Prologue
- 1 -
- 2 -
- 3 -
- 4 -
- 5 -
- 6 -
- 7 -
- 8 -
- 9 -
- 10 -
-11 -
- 12 -
- 13 -
- 14 -
- 16 -
- 17 -
- 18 -
- 19 -
- 20 -
- 21 -
- 22 -
- 23 -
- 24 -
- 25 -
- 26 -
- 27 -
- 28 -
- 29 -
- 30 -
- 31 -
- 32 -
- 33 -
- 34 -
- 35 -
- 36 -
- 37 -
- 38 -
- 39 -
- 40 -
- 41 -
- 42 -
- 43 -
- 44 -
- 45 -
- 46 -
- 47 -
- 48 -

- 15 -

68 6 4
By MinaParkes

Isaac leaned over the center console to open Tess's door from the inside. He nudged it and it swung open a few inches...then fell closed again. Tess opened it from the outside.

"You didn't text back," Isaac said. "I would have come up to the door and done all that stuff."

"No need to make you walk up there," Tess replied, sliding into the passenger seat. She smoothed her hand over her hair, hoping her dash from the house had not ruffled it. "Besides, you tried to open my door. That makes you a gentleman."

"Is that your dad?"

Glancing up at the window of her house, Tess saw her father standing there, a coffee mug poised halfway to his mouth. He was so embarrassing. "I wish I could tell you I didn't know him, but he's in my house, so..."

Isaac waved at Tess's dad. To her horror, he responded—not with a wave, like a normal person, but with a slow, sober lift of his coffee mug, like some kind of grudging, fatherly toast. Laughing, Isaac put his car into reverse. "He didn't shake his fist, so I guess that's a good sign."

Tess was glad Isaac had a sense of humor. She smiled at him and smoothed her hair again. "Thank you for picking me up."

"No problem!" He put his hand on the back of Tess's headrest, half-turning so he could look out the rear window as he backed out of the driveway. "How's your weekend been so far?"

"Aburrido," she replied.

"What?"

"Boring. Homework and homework and homework." Suddenly, the memory of her Friday talk with Dr. Mark popped into her mind, and fear lanced through her stomach. She couldn't tell Isaac about that; she'd have to be careful. What if it had slipped out?

"You don't do homework on Saturdays though, do you? Homework is a Sunday night thing."

"I don't know if I'd get it all done if I saved it that long. I try to get it out of the way so I don't suffer later."

"Man, I wish I were that organized. You'll be glad to know that I spent my Friday night watching the first Thor movies over again, so I'm 100% ready for this."

"Is that what you normally like to do on a weekend? Stay in, watch movies?" Tess was eager for the chance to get to know Isaac better. So far, she only knew he was cute and that he was one of the nicest people she'd met.

"Sometimes," he replied, "but not usually. I like to go out to parties and hang out with friends. If I'm gonna watch a movie, I usually don't like to watch it alone."

Tess nodded her understanding. He did seem like a pretty outgoing guy; he must have a lot of friends. "Do you do any sports or clubs?"

"I did baseball all through grade school, but only because my parents made me. Tried football, but wasn't a huge fan. The only thing I really liked was swim team, but I didn't have a great academic year last year, so I guess I had to give that up."

"Oh. I'm sorry, Isaac."

He slowed at an intersection; after glancing both ways, he eased into a right turn and smiled at her. "Why? It isn't your fault. I'll try again in college. What about you, any sports?"

"I'm not really a sports person. The only sport I ever tried was cheerleading for basketball one year in middle school. At my old school, I was a Mathlete, but I don't think I'll have time for it here."

"Mathlete?"

Tess blushed. "Yeah. You do math competitions and things like that."

"Woah. I mean, that's kind of a sport, right?"

"Yeah," Tess said, hoping he didn't think she was too much of a nerd. "A mental sport."

They had come to a popular shopping district not too far from Tess's house; they drove past restaurants, department stores, and strip malls. Isaac pointed at an orange sign with red, pepperoni-like spots that spelled out PIZZA GUYS. "Best pizza ever, by the way. Have you had it? They bring it into school for lunch every couple weeks on Fridays. I was bummed they didn't have it yesterday."

"I haven't had it, but I hear it's the best. We don't order pizza much in my family."

"What? Really? If you want, we should stop for a slice after the movie." They were approaching the West Circle shopping center, which stood in the middle of an enormous parking lot. The West Circle 16 Cineplex commanded attention from the middle of the strip, its marquee set into a facade of purple and gold.

Twisting her hands together in her lap, Tess looked over at Isaac and smiled at him. Her parents wanted her home for supper, but if the movie was over early enough, maybe they could stop anyway. If it turned out they didn't have time, well, it was a perfect idea for a place to go if they decided to hang out again.

As they neared an empty parking space, she said, "Hey, there's a spot."

Isaac eased his car into the space and killed the engine. "We're early—we should get really good seats. I hope you like previews."

"I love the previews." Following Isaac's lead, Tess unbuckled her seat belt and stepped out of the car.

He was waiting for her when she came around to meet him, and they began to walk together toward the cineplex. Once they stepped into the air-conditioned vestibule, Isaac led the way into the queue for tickets. There weren't many people in front of them, and they maintained a comfortable silence until it was their turn at the window. Isaac purchased two tickets for them, and then they moved on to the concessions stand, where he ordered a large popcorn and a large drink.

"A large?" Tess echoed in an undertone. "Are you sure?"

"Yes, butter too, please." Isaac slid his card across the counter and turned to her with a smirk. "I told you. The popcorn thing is serious business. And the drink won't be weird, will it? I'll just get two straws."

Tess shook her head. It was unexpected, but she wasn't too concerned. What concerned her most as she stood there quietly next to Isaac, watching the attendant fill the popcorn and drink, was the situation as a whole.

He seemed to feel so comfortable with her, and she felt pretty comfortable with him. It was weirdly...not weird.

"Lead the way, Tess," Isaac said, startling her out of her thoughts. "Find the good seats."

Another attendant checked their tickets and pointed them toward their theater, and they made their way down a hall lined with glowing posters advertising upcoming shows. Since Isaac was carrying the popcorn and drink, Tess opened the theater door for him and then led the way to the seats. The place was all but empty, with one couple seated in the center and a person alone far up in the back. She chose seats just behind the other couple.

"Prime location," said Isaac. "Good thing we were early."

"Yeah, I'm glad." After seating herself, Tess held down Isaac's collapsible seat so he didn't spill the popcorn.

"Thanks. I hate these things," he said.

"They're dangerous." Tess took out her phone. "I'm just going to text my mom and let her know we made it. Sorry, I don't want to be rude."

Around a mouthful of popcorn, Isaac said, "Don't worry, go ahead." He took out his own phone and switched it to silent. "You sure you don't want to text your dad? He's the one who was staring out the window like Batman."

Halfway through her text message, Tess had to pause, struck with the mental image of her father, the mild-mannered dentist, sipping coffee while wearing a Batman mask. "Oh my God. Now I have a suggestion for his next Halloween costume."

"It'll be great."

"Do your parents check in on you a lot?"

"Not really. I'm the youngest of five, so I think all my older siblings worked the worry out of them. And they're divorced, so I live with my dad and he tends to let me do my own thing as long as I don't get into trouble."

"Oh. I'm sorry they're not together."

"I'm not. Sometimes it's better for everyone." Isaac shrugged, scooping up another handful of popcorn. "Do you have any siblings?"

Tess blinked down at her completed text message. She closed her eyes for a second, and then she tapped SEND. "I did. A sister."

Isaac sat up a little straighter. "Oh."

"Yeah." She switched her phone to silent and slid it back into her pocket, then turned to Isaac with a tentative smile. Unconsciously, she touched the pendant that hung beneath her shirt. "It's all right. She died last year."

"I'm sorry, Tess."

"No one knows here. I don't want people to know. It was weird being the one left behind. People treated me differently." Tess knew that there was more to the way people had treated her than the fact that her younger sister had died. It had had more to do with the fact that Tess had been behind the wheel when they'd gotten into the accident that had killed Julia. The stares, the whispers, the rumors—layered over her own guilt, it had been unbearable.

He met her gaze. "Your secret is safe with me. And if you want to, you know, talk or whatever, I'm here."

Tess smiled at him, drawing a breath and letting it out in a sigh. "That's really nice of you, Isaac. Tell me about your family. What do your parents do?"

Steering the conversation away from Julia, Tess took advantage of the chance to learn more about Isaac's family. The nerves and the awkwardness she had thought would overwhelm her were surprisingly nowhere to be felt. Isaac asked her about her parents, their careers, and what living in the Midwest had been like, and she asked him about his favorite parts of living in Virginia. By the time the theater dimmed and the previews began, Tess felt like she and Isaac had passed from acquaintances to good friends.

Every now and then, a current of emotion—electric and energizing—would remind her that they might become more than friends, and the thought thrilled her. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 417 50
Some people wait their whole lives to find the perfect friend. But not Isabella Washington. She knew she'd be best friends with Aiden Cunningham the...
69.5K 1.9K 66
WATTPAD BOOKS EDITION There are imperfect moments in every life-but sometimes, there are perfect accidents . . . What's the point of pretending not...
236K 4.4K 34
Danielle Adams is the smartest girl in the school. She's the tutor of the hottest guy in her school. Although she is hit on by Ethan, the hottest guy...
11.5K 1.3K 44
"𝗪𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝘂𝗰𝗸..." 𝗜 𝗵𝗲𝗮𝗿𝗱 𝗮𝗯𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗺𝗲. 𝗜 𝘀𝗹𝗼𝘄𝗹𝘆 𝗿𝗲𝗺𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗮𝗽𝗸𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗼𝗻 𝗺𝘆 𝗳𝗮𝗰𝗲 �...