Finally Saved

By raylor17

Libby Ashford is finally free of her living nightmare. On the run from her father, she and her mother move t... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9

Chapter 10

464K 6.6K 758
By raylor17

Happy 4th of July to my fellow Americans (:

I'm so sorry for the wait. This was supposed to be up over the weekend but then Wattpad was down and then I went on a little mini-vacation so it's been difficult to write and upload. I'm hoping to have another upload up by this weekend because I should have some free time coming up

Beware, I'm leaving next Thursday to go visit relatives for three weeks but I am bringing my laptop. Uploads probably won't be as frequent but I will upload. I just wanted to explain why my uploads might slow down even more

This chapter is more of a filler but it introduces a new character who will be kind of important in the end. 

Dedicated to angelhands2060 for the amazing cover on the side. Thank you for taking the time to make it and I think it looks fabulous :)

Thank you to those who fanned, commented, or voted on the last chapter. Thanks to my silent readers as well (:

(Sorry for any speling/grammar mistakes)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                Chapter 10

Libby Ashford

                "How did you get into my house?" I questioned the four people sitting at my breakfast bar.

                "Door was unlocked." Dustin mumbled around his bowl of cereal.

                "So you just decided to come in then?" I wasn't mad, merely astounded that they were brave enough to walk into someone's house unannounced and uninvited. Especially since they'd only known said person for a single day.

                "Basically." Lilly replied and shrugged while Meredith nodded. Sasha studiously ignored me while she inspected her nails.

                "Such odd people." I murmured, flushing when Lilly stuck her tongue out. I'd said it so quietly I honestly didn't think they would hear me.

                "We're not odd. You my friend, are the odd one. You barely have any food in your kitchen and you're here by yourself." Lilly retorted. I was about to pull out the only box of cereal that we had when I stopped and turned around to look at Lilly.

                "How do you know no one else is here?" I asked suspiciously. I already knew my mom wasn't here, she never stayed late enough to have breakfast with me. Lilly looked deep in thought before she smiled brightly.

                "No car in the driveway." She nodded to herself like she was proud she'd come up with that simple statement.

                "Always stay home by yourself?" Dustin asked as I started eating. I gave him a questioning glance. "I noticed there wasn't a car in your driveway last night. Your parents must work a lot of they aren't here at night and leave really early in the morning."

                "Actually it's just me and my mom and she does work a lot." I tried to make my voice as indifferent as possible.

                "I'm sorry Libby, I didn't know about your dad." Dustin shrugged apologetically while I looked on at him in confusion. Suddenly it dawned on me what I had implied.

                "Oh no, he's not dead." I waved off his apology.

                "So what happened? With your dad?" Sasha asked looking curious.

                "Sasha!" Meredith scolded.

                "What? She brought that on herself by saying her dad wasn't dead." I almost smiled at Sasha's reasoning. I guess I did kind of ask for her question.

                "He's just not in the picture anymore." I replied evasively before they started arguing.

                "So, do you have any siblings?" Lilly asked while I took Dustin's empty bowl and put it next to mine in the dishwasher.

                Yes.

                No.

                How am I supposed to answer that?

                "It's a long story." I finally replied. I grimaced when Sasha opened her mouth to speak.

                "It's not a long story. Either you do have a sibling or you don't." I knew I wasn't going to get away with just saying that.

                "I have an older brother but we haven't talked in years." I shrugged as it if it was no big deal but judging from the sympathetic looks I was receiving, I wasn't doing so well.

                "Well let's get going then." Dustin interrupted the awkward silence. I flashed him a grateful smile as we all got up and made our way to the front door.

                The ride to school was loud and less heavy. I found myself smiling the whole way, a warm happy feeling bubbling up in me. If this is what having friends felt like then I couldn't imagine how I'd managed so long by myself. The group kept me laughing throughout the ride as they retold stories about some of their adventures. I'll admit, they were a crazy bunch of people but at the same time it seemed fitting that they were all friends. They even managed to get me to admit I used to sing but was in retirement so to speak. What surprised me the most about the car ride to school was that I actually enjoyed their company. I'd never thought I would enjoy being around such loud extroverts but after hanging out with them, even after such a short time, I felt myself growing fond of the outgoing people in the car.

                "I can't believe it's only the second day of school. I'm so ready to be out of this place." Meredith complained as she climbed out of the car.

We all stood around Dustin's Range Rover while waiting for the bell to ring. I idly wondered where Nick was and caught myself as my eyes roamed the parking lot. I couldn't explain the fascination I had with him. It was like I was insanely attracted to him but I didn't know why. He had foreign feelings exploding within me and I couldn't find a reason why I reacted so strongly to him. Just the thought of him has my heartbeat quickening and my stomach doing flips. I frowned, forcing myself to stand behind Dustin so his back would block my view of the parking lot. I was starting to act like an obsessive stalker. I listened half-heartedly as Meredith and Lilly retold a story about the time they'd gone to the local waterpark and found someone's bikini bottoms floating in the wake pool. Sasha stood next to me but still continued to ignore my presence.

"You're kidding me." Meredith suddenly cut off, looking at something behind Dustin.

"What is she doing here? I thought she was going overseas for school." Lilly muttered, looking annoyed. It was then that I became aware of the loud clicking of heels against the pavement.

"I'll give it her. She has guts." Sasha said while looking mildly impressed.

I peered around Dustin's shoulder to see a striking girl walking towards us. Her jet black hair was straight and fell down her back in layered waves. Her skin was rather pale and contrasted greatly with her inky hair. Most people wouldn't be able to pull of the darkness of her glossy hair and the starkness of her skin but she managed to look undeniably gorgeous. She was model tall with a thin, hourglass figure. I was insanely jealous of the way she carried herself; so confident and sure of herself. I've never possessed that confidence and I didn't think I ever would. Black jeans and a white blouse adorned her body while a fitted black leather jacket encaged her arms. I almost laughed when I saw the long sleeved jacket. It was like eighty degrees and she was wearing a black leather jacket. She was obviously one of those girls that dressed for style rather than comfort.

"I'm back!" She squealed excitedly as she reached us. A bright smile lit up her flawless face while her hazel eyes sparkled.

"Cindy." Lilly smiled politely but you could tell she disliked the girl that stood before her. "I hoped-thought" Lilly quickly covered her tracks before continuing. "You were going to boarding school."

"Well, I told my parents you guys just couldn't possibly go through your senior year without me and I convinced them that I had to come back. I just got back from London yesterday."

"How...interesting." Lilly murmured disdainfully. Cindy turned her attention to the rest of the group before her eyes rested on me. She jumped, as if shocked.

"What is this?" She shrilled, voice high and tight. She cleared her throat and smoothed her hair down. When she spoke again her voice was controlled and cool. "I mean, who is this?"

"This is Libby." Meredith spoke up and stood closer to me. Her eyes narrowed in on Cindy almost as if daring her to make a move. "She's new in town."

"Well Libby," Cindy flung my name out with more force than necessary. "I'm Cindy."

"Hello." I murmured, looking away from her scathing eyes.

"I wasn't aware you guys had lowered your standards." Cindy sniffed and crossed her arms.

"Actually I was thinking we raised them." Sasha glared at the raven haired beauty before taking a step back so she stood on my other side.

Wait just one minute.

Did Sasha, the girl who paid me little to no attention, just defend me?

Oh yes she did.

"We can agree to disagree on that." Cindy replied icily. Her eyes suddenly lit up as she looked over my shoulder.

"I see you're back, Cindy." Nick's husky voice made me jump. I hadn't even heard him come up.

"Well I couldn't let you guys go through senior year without me. It just wouldn't be any fun." Cindy shook her head like it would be the world's greatest tragedy. Lilly rolled her eyes dramatically. I'm sorry, but is it me or do these people not like her?

"You always were so concerned about other people." Nick's tone was sarcastic but Cindy seemed oblivious to that fact.

"I'm all about caring for others." Cindy shoved past me as she spoke to get closer to Nick. I almost lost my balance and wobbled into Dustin. He glared at the culprit before putting a steadying arm around my shoulders.

I was finding I didn't mind as much when they touched me. I couldn't explain it but it was like this group of four people had already managed to earn my trust. There must be something in the air around here to get me to feel all of these alien feelings. There was only one person that I'd ever trusted and he'd left me. After Wes, I'd closed myself off and vowed that trust was a figment of the imagination. In just the span of twenty four hours they had managed to bring it back. Whether that was a good thing or a bad thing was a different story.

"I'm sure." Nick nodded at Cindy with a bland expression before he glanced over at me. His eyes narrowed on Dustin's arm and his face suddenly became glacial. "Dustin?"

"What?" Dustin shifted his weight until he was leaning against me. I was starting to feel a little uncomfortable with the touching and Nick's icy glare.

"Hand. Off. Now." Nick ground out. Dustin looked confused before he looked over at me and realized his arm was still around my shoulders.

"Anger management issues much?" Dustin scowled as he removed his arm. "You'd almost think she was your ma-"

"Don't finish that sentence."  Cindy glared at Dustin and seemed almost infuriated at whatever he was implying. I had no idea what he was going to say but her expression led me to believe she knew what he was talking about.

"I see you still believe you and my brother are meant to be together." Lilly's voice was dry and humorless.

"Of course we are. I mean, look at us." Cindy slid closer to Nick and wrapped her arm around his waist. "We're perfect for each other."

"Really? I don't see it." Meredith frowned and cocked her head to the side as if she were looking for something that wasn't there.

"Then you're blind." Cindy growled out, glaring at Meredith.

"I think we should go to class now." I spoke up, addressing Meredith. From the glares she and Cindy were exchanging, I was pretty sure a fight would break out between the two if no one intervened. Cindy turned her stony glare on me before he lips curled up into a sneer.

"And she speaks."  I cringed slightly as she eyed me up and down before her expression settled on distaste. "Why they're keeping you around is a mystery to me. Don't get used to the attention newbie, it won't last. They don't like trash hanging around them. They'll drop you and then you'll end up alone and with no friends. Just like all the other nerds."

What a beautifully vicious person Cindy was.

"You're right Cindy." I froze at Sasha's words. So we aren't really friends then. "We only dump the trash. So why don't you leave because that's what you are. Annoying and useless trash. I thought we'd made that clear last year but you seem to have this notion in your head that people actually like you. They don't. I suggest you watch what you say to Libby or I'll hunt you down. And well, you know what happens when someone pisses me off."

We were all stunned into silence.

Cindy's previous glare had nothing on the one gracing Sasha's face. With an annoyed huff, Sasha grabbed my arm and started me dragging towards the school entrance. I had to speed walk just to keep up with her but didn't complain. I couldn't stop the grin that spread over my face. Sasha stuck up for me. She actually spoke up and verbally bitch slapped Cindy. She can try to hide it all she wants, but Sasha does like me. That made me happier than I thought it would. Sasha glanced at me and scowled.

"Oh stop grinning like an idiot. You look ridiculous." I shrugged her comment off and continued to smile.

"You like me Sasha. You can't deny it any more. You like me." I sang as my confidence grew.

"I don't like you. I just don't like Cindy and I'll take any chance I get to insult her." Sasha's voice was almost convincing but I knew the truth. She had a soft spot for me.

"Say what you'd like, but I know you like me." She glared which prompted me to throw her a dazzling smile.

"I do not." She muttered. We walked in silence for a few more seconds with her still dragging me behind her. Goodness, she walks fast.

"Hey, Sasha?" I called as we stopped outside my first class. She turned to face me and raised her eyebrows.

"What?" She seemed weary as to what I was going to say next.

"Thank you." I murmured appreciatively.

*****This is the end of the FREE version******

The book is now for sale at the link below 

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1005651

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

686K 15.6K 37
19 year old werewolf, Madeline Night has never had life handed to her. When her parents left her at the young age of 7 she learned quickly that she w...
599K 27.9K 53
Eighteen-year-old Sean Brooks comes from a long line of witches. But unfortunately, he doesn't have a spell that can help him with relationships. Whe...
186 21 14
Being the new girl in a new town is hard enough, but for Brayden Hayward it's damn near impossible. Especially when Ashton Philips, the king of the s...
2.7K 79 16
Young Niara Ashford ran away from home. Her last moment with her parents was her crying over the blood that stained her hands and clothes. Blind wi...