Kadance

By ShelbyWinds

A futuristic society of warrior-class and citizens fighting a war of survival. Kadance encounters and helps t... More

Prelude Bandro
Prelude Ship
Prelude Gaia
Prelude High Command
1
2
3
4
4a
5
5a
5b
5c
5d
5e
5f
5g
6
6a
7
7a
7b
7c
7d
8
8a
9
9a
9b
9c
9d
9e
9f
9g
9h
9i
10
10a
10b
11
11a
11b
11c
11d
11e
11f
11g
11h
11i
11j
12
12a
12b
12c
13
14
15
16
16a
17
18
19
19a
20a
20b
21
21a
22
23
24
25
25a
26
27
27a
27b
28
28a
29
30
31
32
33
33a
34
34a
35
36
36a
37
38
39
40
40a
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
Bonus Chapter - Tanker

20

157 22 0
By ShelbyWinds

"Kadance, we've found several things that need to come to your attention. The president of Dunworthy Holdings here on Planex is neck deep in illegal activities. File after file lists things you've banned and it goes back years. There's several board members here implicated as well." Tommy, Candlen, Rackem, and Jayse each show Kadance the various list and proofs of the items they uncovered. Trader steps up and his words stop everyone in their tracks and they give him horrified looks.

"He's found a way to work with the shifters. There's evidence to back this up."

All talk in the room is suspended. Disbelief and horror fill the room. "He's given them information on troop movements, colony planets, you name it."

"How'd he get some of that information? Troop movements at least are classified," Rackem says sick.

Kadance is shaking in fury, "And what did he get in return?"

Trader hesitates to say seeing the reaction his words have induced already, but at her watchful stare he says, "The vampire parasite, he planted it."

"Kadance he's committed the highest form of treason," Tommy says in a very sick voice.

Jayse doesn't say anything he just heads to the door. "No, Jayse." Kadance stops him and he whirls around in anger to face her. "He's a traitor to both societies. He's a social terrorist, his death won't be enough." Kadance raps out working hard to control her own anger. "Are there any active duty warriors still here?"

Candlen nods unable to speak for the horror of what they found. "Get them online. He'll need to be taken into custody in a secure facility. It will need to be secure from warriors and civilians both. He will be tried in a warrior court. Present all our evidence to whoever is in charge of the warrior people here.

"I want all those involved to be arrested. I want all those involved with any illegal dealings to be arrested. The normal," here Kadance chokes on the word, "illegal dealings will be handled by the civil court. I want this done tonight.

"Once everyone is in custody set up a news conference. I'm not going to hide this, this is too big and I want everyone to know just what is going on." Kadance turns her haunted eyes towards Jayse's furious gaze. "Dunworthy Holdings caused this."

Jayse can't tolerate the pain he sees on her face and his own ire cools down. He goes to her and holds her in his arms, "No, that rat bastard betrayed all humans by working with the shifters, the enemy. It was because of you that his crimes have been brought to light, Dunworthy will not be held accountable for this. You stopped the parasite before it wiped most of us out. Taking this to the authorities exonerates you and Dunworthy Holdings and fully condemns him and the others."

Everyone jumps into action with grim determination. Tommy, Amgle, and Trader all leave silently. They're going to make sure the man is arrested and kept safe. They know what sentence will be given. After the trial they fully intend to be the ones to give it. If Kadance will allow them to come back.

"Mr. Heath was arrested last night by warrior authorities. This, after evidence of his betraying both the warrior and civilian societies to the shifters. Evidence was uncovered after all Dunworthy employees were investigated. Those not arrested last night are found free of guilt and corruption. However, Mr. Heath was found to have disclosed military movements, colony planet locations and perhaps the most damning of all receiving in payment the parasite that recently swept through many of our planets, killing thousands, even wiping out whole colonies.

"I, personally hold Mr. Heath responsible for those deaths, the deaths of many warriors and thousands of others due to his traitorous actions. Warrior society holds court in these matters. At this time a court will be set for later today. The penalty for treason has always been death, all through history it has been so. However, this is the first time it's happened with this war. Until I saw the evidence I didn't even think it was possible. If the court finds him guilty he will be executed."

Kadance is unable to keep the tears from falling, "Many of us have lost family or friends either to the more recent parasitic attack or to the shifter attacks. Many if not most could have either been prevented or been minimized had this information not been given out.

"I, myself, almost lost my life to the parasite and I did lose a sister to a shifter attack right in front of my eyes. He was responsible for both.

"So among Dunworthy Holdings I call for a moment of silence to remember our lost and dead and invite all members of both societies to join us," Kadance says.

After a few minutes she speaks again, "Thank you. Dunworthy Holdings will be building memorials to all those that died due to either betrayal on each planet affected. We are requesting the names of the dead so that they might be listed. We want to honor as many as possible so we are asking that all names be submitted to Briggs, CEO, of Dunworthy Holdings. Briggs is located on our home planet of Gaia. We wish to honor both the civilians and the warriors without whom we'd all be dead," she says indicating the warriors.

"They dedicate their lives to protect us all." With that she steps down. Tommy gently escorts her from the ballroom her team forming up around her. Jayse stays behind to answer questions.

"Sigma Company was killed because of him." Kadance says in a flat tone. "Tommy would you design a monument to them?"

Tommy kneels in front of her, "It will be my pleasure and an honor Boss Lady." Tommy gets up and holds her close. Kadance is trying really hard to not let the tears come.

She speaks to the rest of the team once she is sure that her voice won't fail her. "I want each of you to design a monument. Kelan would you design one for all the victims of the vampire parasite?" Kelan nods.

"Each planet, each colony will receive the same monument. For everyone else choose a colony with a battle created by the traitor's information. It will be to honor both societies. Jayse, will you design the one for my sisters battle?" By then Jayse has rejoined them and nods his acceptance of her assignment.

"It would be my honor Lady Faire. She fought bravely as did you and many others that day," Jayse says giving her a bow.

"Other than the ones designed by my team the monuments will be modified versions of Jayse's." Kadance finishes. "I'm going to lay down now. Your time is yours." She retreats to her room and locks her door. Tommy and Jayse look at each other and sigh.

"Kadance come on, time to eat," Tommy says. "You can't miss any meals, you're barely keeping even. Babies are doing all the weight gain."

"I'm not hungry Tommy, just leave me alone," Kadance says tiredly.

"No, can do Boss Lady. Either you open up or I'll open it. Either way you'll be eating with us, which will it be?" Tommy asks politely.

"You wouldn't!" Kadance says with a gasps sitting upright on the bed.

"I would and will and you know it. Your health is important to us. You need to eat. Your babies need you to eat. So which will it be love?" Tommy asks cheerfully.

"I just want to be alone," Kadance says desperately.

Tommy softens his voice, "After dinner you can be alone again, I promise. Now open up or on the count of three I'll open it up." Tommy says his voice no longer soft.

Kadance opens it as he starts counting. She huffily walks over to the dining table and sits down. She refuses to look at or talk to anyone.

Tommy says to Jayse, "Wow I didn't know our boss lady could do such a good imitation of a two year old. She's very good isn't she?" The team members all smile and don't try to hide it.

"I'm surprised she's not kicking and screaming," Jayse responds.

Tommy qualifies, "Naw that's a temper tantrum. She'd have done that if I had, had to get her. No, this is a full on pout. I've known kids to keep it up for hours. I wonder how long an adult can hold it." The team all look at Kadance curiously as she eats.

Kadance sighs and puts down her fork. "I am being childish aren't I?" She looks up at her team. "I'm sorry, none of you deserve that."

"That's alright boss lady, we all act stupidly at times. We still love you," Tommy pipes up.

Jayse just rolls his eyes at Tommy. "We're just worried about you boss lady. Everyone needs some alone time, but remember you're not alone okay?"

"I know that," Kadance sighs. "I appreciate that and I thank everyone for that. This is just hitting me hard, you know. And something just isn't adding up. Mr. Heath has been betraying locations for years. Yet the parasite is fairly recent, so what has his payment been before that?"

Trader breaks the silence that falls with her question, "There's a plant he's been given. This plant when smoked is mood altering. As a drug used like this it's highly addictive. Already he's been starting withdrawals. The warriors set to guard him have reported agonizing screams from him. There is no relief except more of the drug. He'll be in agony up until he's executed." The team even Kelan smile grimly at this news.

"I don't know something is still off. I just can't pinpoint what that something is. How'd he get into contact with shifters in the first place? They kill us on sight or use us for experimentation." Kadance muses even as she reluctantly starts eating. She really has no appetite now.

Mareton, Trader, Amgle and Tommy trade looks then look to Jayse. Jayse gives his nod of approval.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.9K 4K 44
[Tsundere x Reader] One second she was just a simple nurse, tending to her patients and doing her job. Just another Tuesday as she would say. ...
Latched By Z.L.

Fanfiction

21.9K 1.1K 123
𝐁𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐧 𝐒𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 # 𝟏: What will happen if two people from different worlds meet? They say opposite attract. Which explains why Sanzu Haruc...
1.5K 18 42
UPDATE: NOVEMBER 2020: VERSION 2 OUT NOW. IT'S WAY BETTER. TRUST ME! MARCH 2019- I will be rewriting this book soon! There are some things that could...
58 20 37
Phantom, an organization known for producing lethal weapons and soldiers, got their hands on a few special individuals. Three years ago there was an...