Kadance

By ShelbyWinds

A futuristic society of warrior-class and citizens fighting a war of survival. Kadance encounters and helps t... More

Prelude Bandro
Prelude Ship
Prelude Gaia
Prelude High Command
1
2
3
4
4a
5
5a
5b
5c
5d
5e
5f
5g
6
6a
7
7a
7b
7c
7d
8
8a
9
9a
9b
9c
9d
9e
9f
9g
9h
9i
10
10a
10b
11
11a
11b
11c
11d
11e
11f
11g
11h
11i
11j
12
12a
12b
12c
13
14
15
16
16a
17
19
19a
20
20a
20b
21
21a
22
23
24
25
25a
26
27
27a
27b
28
28a
29
30
31
32
33
33a
34
34a
35
36
36a
37
38
39
40
40a
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
Bonus Chapter - Tanker

18

163 21 0
By ShelbyWinds

"Three crew members; two carriers and one in an active state. They'll all be fine now. However, we'll need to alert the planets they've been to as well. Hell we should just have all the planets contacted. It's for the best in the long run. They'll need to do mandatory testing no exceptions. If for some reason the people object then for the safety of all concerned they'll need to go into quarantine." Jayse updates Kadance, the captain and Rueton. "I'd suggest you make it mandatory testing for everyone everywhere. We've found too many cases on board, yet Kadance is the only one from our group to test positive. That means that it's already hit the general populace and that person is a carrier. There's likely to be several if two were found on board here."

"Very likely suspicious deaths were ruled as unknown and dismissed. It may already be too late for several people," Kadance says weakly. "I was fine and then wham, I was down. Have everyone checked that is missing from either school or work. Check all the outlying areas as well. And have the homeless populations checked as well. They often get overlooked but come into direct contact with many people every day."

"We're already on it. Here on Gaia we've already had reports of those cases. We're working overtime on screenings and making the antidote." Rueton says tiredly looking like how Kadance feels. "Your call has kept the panic down and is saving lives."

Kadance forces herself to sit up straighter, "Why wasn't the information allowed out to the medic's and hospitals before? Kelan had never heard of it before."

Reuton holds up his hand, "Peace Kadance, I don't know, but I intend to find out. Biological warfare hadn't been a factor until now. If they start we'll finish it. We've had something ready to go, but we didn't want to be the ones to introduce biological issues but now they've gone and done it. We'll send them a gift from us, that's designed to sterilize their populace. We figure enough fertile ones will remain to keep the race from dying completely but they won't be able to keep attacking us. Maybe that's why the information has been buried. When you bring me a mess you bring me a big one."

Jayse snorts, "At least we brought the solution to the mess too or millions could die, billions before we stopped this."

"I, for one thank you. I'd hate to be the one to kill my wife and kids when I go on furlough next planet fall," the captain says. "The warrior society is clean there and civilians are still being screened. It appears that Planex is clear, we'd have killed everyone there."

"Any word from Dall's group?" Kadance asks resting once more against the pillows on her bed.

"Dall is clear as is all his team. Ship crew had one case active and he's been treated. Celeste western continent hasn't found any cases yet. Dunworthy teams sent to the eastern continent report clear. Haven't reached the survivors yet, they should all be clean or dead," Jayse reports. He rather thinks they are clean, the survivors wouldn't have had any direct contact with the shifters, only the ones left behind to defend would have and they all died.

"What about Jandin?" Kadance asks.

"Three active cases, two carriers among the warriors. Three no, four deaths amongst the civies that we know of that is caused by the parasite." Jayse isn't happy to report the next bit. "They are all Dunworthy Holdings employees. Three other cases are suspected within their social circles." Jayse closes his eyes, "They were all hotel employees. We're guessing that's how Kadance got it. She is very friendly and treats the staff more like family than hired workers."

"What about Gaia, General?" Kadance ignores the unspoken censure in Jayse's voice. But her own voice is pained.

"So far two carriers, at least among the warriors. Possible multiple deaths amongst the civilians." Rueton sounds more tired than ever.

"Are your Bio scanners up yet?" Kadance asks suddenly.

Jayse sits up as well. "Scanners are up and running on all core planets. Many of the inner colony planets," Jayse smiles at Kadance.

"Program them to detect this parasite. Send response teams to each location and quarantine the people in those locations until they are tested and treated." Kadance is now too weary to keep her eyes open.

"I'll send the orders out right away." Both the general and Jayse say at the same time. The general for all the core planets and outlying colonies, Jayse to the remaining planets.

"Thank you for your assistance captain. I hope you enjoy your furlough with your wife and family," Kadance says.

"I must thank you and your team Kadance. Although at first I was angry at their highhandedness. But if they hadn't been on board we'd either be dead or carry death to our loved ones."

Kadance smiles wryly, "My team can be like that, especially when it comes to my health and well being. I hope they didn't inconvenience you too much."

"Just caused delay to us, however the shuttle port traffic control wasn't too happy," The captain replies dryly.

Kadance smiles, "I bet." She lets the understatement stand, they both knew that traffic control ended up with a huge mess. From what she heard several near misses due to Jayse's actions. "It's a good thing I own the land or we might find ourselves banned from Jandin." She smiles faintly. "I'm sorry captain, but I find I'm unable to keep myself awake any longer." Even as she finishes the sentence she's asleep.

The captain gives her a silent bow and leaves quietly nodding to Jayse as he leaves. Jayse gives him a small wave as he and the general continue making plans on screening and treating the parasitic menace.

"Did the whatchamacallit hurt my babies Kelan?" Kadance asks worriedly after Kelan finishes her exam.

Kelan smiles, "I hear several healthy heartbeats going. I don't think they even noticed. But babies themselves are like parasites. It affected you so quickly because of that. Yet that's the same reason we caught it before it hurt the babies. And that's also why it's taking you so long to recover from the effects. So, bed rest until we dock. After that we'll see, okay?"

"Yes, Kelan. I'm still too weak to argue, maybe later," Kadance smiles weakly. "You're not holding out on me are you?" Kadance watches Kelan closely. There was just a little something off with Kelan. She decides to ask something that's been bothering her. "What's with this parasite anyways? People aren't generally immune to parasites like they are to bacteria or even viruses. Parasites attack whatever."

Kelan pauses in her packing up of her instruments. "I don't know Kadance. This whole parasite thing is as off as you. I thought you'd be more energetic by now. You should be. Blood levels are up, iron is fine, your vitamin intake can't be increased."

"Maybe it's because of how many babies I'm carrying. At least six right? That's a lot of work for any woman, especially one that was being drained by a vampire parasite, or whatever it was," Kadance says. Then she closes her eyes and falls asleep.

"I hope that's all it is Kadance." Kelan says softly as she finishes packing her instruments. "I hope so," then she leaves. "But that still doesn't explain why some people are immune to the parasite does it? Or why some become carriers instead of being affected by that vampire aspect of the parasite."

"Okay two hours to planet fall. Planex is cleared, no cases and no carriers. We're set to land. We'll carry Kadance by stretcher to the conveyance and from the conveyance to the hotel. Tomorrow hopefully she'll feel up to her little speech. Only one diagnosed suicider. Hopefully that'll be it," Jayse says to the assembled team. "Tommy how are the uniforms and toys coming along?"

"All set to go. Amgle, myself and Dest will check out the security facilities today. If necessary we will also scout out a new location. Plans for evac and defense are ready to go," Tommy reports.

"Very good. Candlen, Rackem what's going on Holdings wise?" Jayse asks still a bit tired. He hadn't slept until Tommy forced him to get to bed.

Candlen snorts, "They weren't expecting a visit from Kadance. They're scurrying around. Their financials are clean but something feels off."

Rackem takes over, "I'm being blocked right now. Not much longer and I'll get in. They're hiding something and we'll find it."

Jayse smiles, "I'm sure you will. Mareton, Trader, why don't you two take a nonofficial visit to Dunworthy Holding's main office after we're settled in? See what you can find. Tommy I know you'd prefer that assignment but I need you to stay with me for now.

"Marks, try not to set off too many explosions this time. Jandin authorities weren't happy and I don't want to have to deal with the Planex authorities or have them mad at us." Mareton and Trader quite happily agree.

"Jayse, you're no fun," Marks says sighing and Tommy silently agrees. "I didn't hurt anyone and it helped the demolition crews."

Jayse snorts, "I was fielding calls from outraged officials all that week. The only reason we weren't jailed is because of who we are and who we work for. With Kadance still down I don't have the time to take on those kind of calls. Go through channels it might not be as much fun but it will keep me from killing you," And Jayse means it. Marks could see that he couldn't push Jayse any further and nods.

At the mention of Kadance they all settle down a bit. "Now the rest of the team will work from the pent house okay? Any questions? No? Good, go pack and meet at the shuttle we'll be taking the first one down. It leaves in an hour."

"Tell me just why am I supposed to be carried on the stretcher?" Standing Kadance asks as she refuses to lay down on the stretcher Tommy and Jayse are holding.

"I just want to make sure you don't pass out again," Jayse explains patiently.

"No, I am well enough to walk. If you insist I'll hold onto your arm and Tommy's arm, but I refuse to lie back on that thing. I feel much stronger now, don't push me Jayse. I promise I don't need to be carried," Kadance is adamant. "Besides you'll be better able to protect me if I'm walking."

Tommy and Jayse mutter curses under their breath but they put the stretcher down. She takes first one arm then the other and they board the shuttle. Borden picks the stretcher up and brings it with him. The way this team is they'll need that stretcher. He just hopes it won't be to carry a dead teammate on.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.1M 562K 44
PUBLISHED WORK!!! 30% OF THE STORY HAS BEEN TAKEN DOWN. Available on Amazon in paperwork and PDF (KINDLE) format. You know those kind of stor...
Latched By Z.L.

Fanfiction

21.8K 1.1K 123
𝐁𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐧 𝐒𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 # 𝟏: What will happen if two people from different worlds meet? They say opposite attract. Which explains why Sanzu Haruc...
2.7M 75.5K 18
When Athena Grey is working at her local bakery someone seems to accidentally leave their baby. She has no other option but to take care of the littl...
9.6M 311K 70
Wattpad Creator! Happy and proud. HIM: Staying the night? Not my thing. Hearts and flowers? Boring. Falling in love? Not anytime soon. Settling down...