Clarendon Estate (The Sinclai...

By thequietwriter

Juliet Sinclair must unmask a murderer before her own false identity is revealed... Clarendon Estate, the co... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Epilogue

Chapter Five

4.9K 418 45
By thequietwriter

Over the course of the next two days, I took every free moment to go down to the office. Every time, though, there was something that kept me from even touching the door. Once it was a maid, scurrying to get her work done. Another time it was the steward, staring at me with suspicion in his eyes.

If I had some idea of the routine he kept, it would be easier to get around him. Surely he must inspect the tenant farms or be required to go out to solve problems. What steward remained exclusively in an office?

At the same time, the Dowager made her presence felt in every corner of the house. She had demands for activities and games for the house party. To appease her, footmen were sent to the attics every few hours on a search for equipment for said games. Equipment which then needed to be taken out to be dusted and cleaned.

Acceptances began to arrive soon after. It seemed an invitation to Clarendon was not one people would refuse, no matter how sudden it arrived. All bedrooms would be taken, and the neighbors who would join the party during the day had also sent word that they would be delighted to attend.

Mrs. Horner set the maids to cleaning every inch of the house. At any hour, I would come across someone hard at work in the hallway or carrying clean linen to a bedroom. This made it impossible to search out information in Sir horace's office, even when I knew Mr. Stone had been called out.

The Dowager decided that the occasion demanded a new gown, while Lady Leith instructed me to simply make over several of the gowns already in her wardrobe. I expected I would be able to think while I sat with needle and thread in my hand, but such was not the case.

Lady Leith had said she would rely on my discretion to alter the gowns. There is a great difference between removing an abundance of lace and bows to being in charge of altering a gown's appearance, thus my preoccupation.

In that time, I composed my thoughts enough to write back to Aunt Beth. I thanked her for warning me about Uncle Frederick's return, made no mention of his plan to find me a husband among his circle of friends, and told her that Clarendon House reminded me of home. Neutral enough not to alarm her and close enough to the truth that I did not feel bad writing it.

My half day arrived, and as soon as Lady Leith dismissed me, I went straight to the hallway containing Sir Horace's office. No one was in sight as I approached the door. I held my breath and my heart beat faster as I reached my hand for the doorknob.

It refused to budge.

"Odd," I said with a frown. Why was the door locked? Didn't the steward go in and out every day? Wouldn't it have been simpler to leave the door unlocked? Was something important kept inside?

Frustrated that I had made no progress, I slipped down the back staircase and then went out into the sun. A summer breeze lightly brushed my face and I breathed in the scent of grass and blooming flowers.

With nothing and no one to stop me, I set out for the hedge maze. At least there was a puzzle I could look into that didn't have some importance attached to it.

I let my fingers trail along the branches of the thick bushes as I walked around it. It had obviously been there for some time as the hedge was over my head. Once someone entered, they would not be able to look over the bushes to the center as a way to cheat the maze. There was no gardener in sight, so I couldn't ask whether there was a map of the maze or not. While I could have entered and found my way by trial and error, I decided to prowl around the outside to get an idea of how big it was.

I'd been walking for at least ten minutes when I saw a tall, slender man. It took a moment for me to recognize young Mr. Leith. He wore no jacket over his white shirt sleeves, and it didn't appear that he had a cravat tied around his neck. There was a sketchbook in his hand, hinting at his Sunday afternoon's occupation.

He glanced in my direction and his lips spread into a wide grin. Coming to a halt, he faced me and offered an exaggerated bow.

Naturally, I imitated him and sank into a deep curtsy, one fit for royalty. When I lifted my gaze, Mr. Leith had tucked his sketchbook under his arm and clapped his hands together. He appeared so happy, I wondered how often he was mocked or bullied because he was unable to hear.

"Mr. Leith," I said, moving forward. I held my hand out as though we were old friends. "I am delighted to see you today."

 Mr. Leith's head tilted as he clasped my hand with his. For the briefest moment, his forehead creased with a puzzled frown. Of course. He didn't understand me and reading lips was a talent that took years to master.

How was I supposed to communicate with him? Did he know how to write and read?

As if he had the same idea, Mr. Leith pulled his hand from mine and brought his sketchbook out. He used his charcoal to write something and then he held the book up for me. It is a lovely day, Miss Nelson.

Wait. How did he know my name? Lady Leith had only said I was her maid when I was first introduced to him. Had one of the servants told him?

The charcoal pencil wobbled in front of me as Mr. Letih encouraged me to take it from him. It was something my brother would have done when he was impatient with my slowness. Forcing away the rush of sadness, I accepted the pencil, though I was uncertain what I would say in response.

It is, Mr. Leith. I have been contemplating how I could solve the maze.

His lips spread in a grin as he read my words. And yet you have not stepped through the entrance, he wrote in answer. His brown eyes had a twinkle of amusement in them. Sometimes one must press forward to solve a problem.

How true that was! Though he offered the pencil to me once more, the snap of a twig behind me made me spin around. Miss Webber, the woman who looked after Mr. Leith's needs, walked towards me. There was a pinched expression on her face.

"Oh, Nelson," she said, disapproval in her voice. "I am surprised to find Mr. Leith with you."

 "His path and mine intersected here," I said, resisting the urge to scowl at her. Her words implied this was a planned meeting, and nothing could be further from the truth. "He and I were admiring the fine day."

 The furrow in her brow deepened. "Are you mocking me? That is not possible."

"Indeed it is. Mr. Leith and I have been communicating with his sketchpad," I said, puzzled about why she took offence. Realizing how rude it was to have my back to Mr. Leith when he could not know what I was saying, I turned so that he was on my right and Miss Webber on my left. The young man glanced between us. "Did you require him for something?"

"I find your tone impertinent, Nelson," Miss Webber said, ignoring my question. Nelson? Our roles made us equals, so there should have been a polite 'Miss'. "Do you expect to improve your lot in life by attaching yourself to Mr. Simon?"

It took all of my self control not to laugh out loud. That was her suspicion? "Nothing could be further from the truth, Miss Webber, I do assure you," I said with a smile.

"Your amusement is unseemly. I just caught you lingering with him unchaperoned as though you wished to be caught out! It is obvious what your intentions are, so there is no need for such prevarication."

A laugh escaped me before I could stop it. I'd heard many ridiculous things since I became a maid, and this could well be the most unbelievable. "Your imagination runs wild, but we are being rude. Mr. Leith has been left in the dark about this conversation. Allow me to enlighten him so he may share in this entertaining idea."

"Enough!" Miss Webber exclaimed, her tone rising with her anger. "I shall report this to the Dowager, mark my words. You will be gone by morning!"

Again, someone who saw the dowager as the highest authority on the estate. "I shall inform Lady Leith and abide by her decision."

She drew herself up, her eyes narrowed in a glare. "You think that naive girl will save you?"

"Webby?" Mr. Leith spoke up, his voice that strange mixture of high pitched and off-key that I'd heard in my youth. "What is wrong?"

With a shake of her head, Miss Webber moved around me and approached the man. She gestured for him to follow her. "Come along, Simon." Her fingers wrapped around his thin bicep, and she tugged. "It's time for tea."

For a brief moment, Mr. Leith resisted her urgings, a stubborn set to his mouth. He jerked out of her grasp and faced me to offer one last bow. It lacked the merriment he'd shown earlier. "Good day, Miss Nelson."

Sad to be unable to continue our conversation, I bobbed a curtsy. "Good day, Mr. Leith." I watched him walk away from the maze. Miss Webber glanced over her shoulder once to, I assume, ensure I was not following them.

Breathing out a sigh, I continued on my exploration of the outer edge of the maze. What had been said to Miss Webber for her to take such a dislike of me? I did not expect to be universally liked, such would have been a foolish idea, but both she and Mr. Stone were suspicious of me for seemingly no reason.

Or was the reason that I was Lady Leith's employee and out of their control?

"Well, I suppose I should be glad she does not live in the house," I said aloud. "Between her and Miss Hansen I would be faced with more than I could handle."

~*~

Lady Leith appeared distracted when she came into the dressing room. I helped her into a lovely blue evening gown, waiting for her to initiate a conversation. It was only once she was seated and I had begun to arrange her hair that she spoke.

"The Dowager is under the impression that you wish to entrap my brother Simon in marriage."
Good heavens, Miss Webber hadn't wasted any time in causing mischief! "Is that so? Did the Dowager mention who had told her such a story?" I asked, choosing my words with care. How much had the story been twisted?

For a brief moment, Lady Leith's forehead creased with a frown. "Not that I recall. Does that have some bearing on the situation?"

"I believe it does. You see, I spent my free time on a walk this afternoon," I explained as I kept my eyes on the woman's hair. "When I reached the maze, I encountered Mr. Leith, who I believe had been sketching there. We exchanged pleasantries, but our conversation went no further than that due to Miss Webber's arrival."

"You exchanged pleasantries with Simon?" The lady repeated with no little surprise. "What do you mean by that?"

"With the help of his sketchpad, of course, my lady. He wrote his thoughts and I did the same. As I said, Miss Webber came across us, and expressed her offense at the situation. I was amused, naturally, which only served to outrage her further. She accused me of being impertinent, and said she would tell the Dowager and that I would be gone by morning."

The woman heaved a sigh. "I see." She paused before she continued, "Miss Webber can be protective of Simon at times. I suppose she thought she was doing the right thing."

"I'm sorry if my actions have brought you more distress," I said, genuinely sorry to have been the cause of added strife. "I'd wondered what could have caused Miss Webber to take me in dislike, but if she has been the sole caretaker for Mr. Leith all these years, I understand she would be hesitant to allow others near him."

 "It was good of you to show an interest in Simon. He does not have any friends due to his..well, his lack of hearing. He is so often in his own company, save for Miss Webber, of course."

 "He never had a tutor or some kind of instructor?"

She shook her head, hampering my efforts to secure her curls with hairpins. "The Dowager deemed it unnecessary, so Miss Webber, who was a nursemaid, has looked after Simon all this time."

"Well, he seems to be a charming young gentleman."

 In the mirror, I saw Lady Leith narrow her eyes at me. "Oh?"

 "I have no intention of trying to trap Mr. Leith in marriage," I said, holding back a sigh of my own. "He was polite, much like any other young gentleman I've had occasion to meet."

"I would not be surprised if you had considered the idea now that Miss Webber has put it into your mind," she said, her tone serious. "After all, such a marriage would elevate you from a life of service."

I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing at that. "True," I said in as grave a tone as I could muster. "Only think of how much the Dowager would react. Why, she may even come to appreciate you as a daughter if I were the only other candidate."

 Lady Leith let out a laugh and the seriousness in her face eased a bit. "Or, more likely, she will blame the downfall of the family reputation on me. After all, you are my maid and I am the one who brought you into the house."

"Well, then, since it would serve to make the situation worse, I suppose I shall have to abandon my plan to improve myself."

The woman sighed again and shook her head, once again hindering my efforts. "I suppose I ought to have known someone was causing mischief. Someone is always causing mischief in this house."

"You cannot mean that the servants cause mischief." After my attempt at subtle questioning of the maid some days earlier, I had been under the impression that the loyalty of the house was in Lady Leith's favor.

"There are a few who do so. Mr. Stone is reluctant to discuss the state of the estate with me, but makes an almost daily report to the Dowager," Lady Leith confessed in a rush. "One of the footmen will announce visitors to her first before I am made aware that anyone has arrived, and I am sure one of the maids puts the worst of the linen on my bed."

She heaved a sigh and shook her head before she continued, "I ought not to complain. After all, I cannot prove any of my suspicions."

Though I know I ought to keep out of it, I asked, "Is the footman from one of the families who have served on Clarendon Estate for a hundred years?"

 Pausing, Lady Leith frowned. "No," she said slowly. "Why do you ask?"

"Well, what objection could Sir Horace have if you choose to dismiss the footman?"

Twisting around, she stared at me. "What are you talking about?"

"You said before that you did not feel you could dismiss someone who had lived on Clarendon all their life and their family were loyal servants. At the same time, the mistress of the house you have the right to choose who serves here?" I reasoned. "If, as you suspect, this footman is sowing trouble and being deliberately disrespectful, you would be well rid of him."

"You mean for me to take a stand as the mistress of the house? What do you imagine I would accomplish in making such a decision?"

"Respect from those who remain," I said, astonished that she was so resistant to the idea.

"Naturally, you would not want to dismiss Mr. Stone, as he does so much for your husband. And as Miss Webber has been with the family for a number of years, it might be best to discuss a change when Sir Horace returns. There is no proof of the maid's mistake, not unless Mrs. Horner makes an inspection of the linen herself. The footman's disrespect, however, is blatant and should not be ignored."

It had to be the most I'd said to her without pause. With her hair perfectly arranged and pinned into place, I stepped back. Without even checking her appearance in the mirror, Lady Leith rose and faced me. "I will consider it, but I don't think this is the time for me to be making changes to the household. That will be all, Nelson."

The dismissal was obvious. Pursing my lips to keep from trying to argue the point, I bobbed a curtsy. Lady Leith left the room without another word.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45.4K 4.5K 31
Regency debutante Lottie Atwell must silence a blackmailing killer before her secrets are exposed and her family is ruined. She's killed before, but...
3.4M 180K 43
When Margaret Everard is asked to investigate the man she once loved for the murder of the Prime Minister, she knows he's innocent, until clues start...
113K 8.4K 18
Juliet Sinclair knows her brother was murdered--now if only she could understand why. Proving her family innocent of treason is taking a toll on lady...
497K 22K 28
[COMPLETED] At the age of 15, Miss Charity Chadwick is tricked into marriage. Her new husband, unhappy with their union, banishes her to his north...