Chapter Seventeen

The gentle click of a door being closed reached through the darkness. Everything ached and I felt heavy, as though I'd been sleeping too long. But that click was a signal that it was time to wake up. I forced my eyes to open, and squinted in the bright light.

What had happened? Where was I? Was there someone with me, or had the click been the door closing behind someone who had left?

"Juliet?"

Above me, the white ceiling came into focus. I was in the small bedchamber in Clarendon that had been mine since I had arrived on the estate. Everything was bright because the sun was shining through the window. How long had I been sleeping? Why was I still in bed when the sun was up?

When I shifted my gaze to the right, I saw Lady Leith seated by my bed. She leaned forward, the creases in her forehead smoothing out as concern shifted to relief. "You're finally awake," she said with a smile. "You've been asleep for nearly eighteen hours. How do you feel?"

My mouth was dry and I tried to lick my lips. It did little good, but allowed me some time to consider how to answer. Honesty seemed the best way to go. "Terrible," I said, my voice a croak. I tried to lift my arm, but pain shot from my shoulder to the tips of my fingers. A hiss of pain escaped me.

"Don't try to move. I'm not surprised you do not feel well. You lost a lot of blood." Lady Leith picked up a glass of lemonade and held it to my lips. "Drink this."

As I drank the sweet liquid, everything that had happened came rushing back. I remembered finding the incriminating letters. My panicked race to the maze to escape. Hiding with Simon Leith, wondering what I should do. Facing Henry Bladen.

Getting shot.

"You had us all worried," Celia said, getting my attention once again. "When Simon came rushing toward us with blood on his hand, at least half of the ladies went into hysterics. I'm not sure which part the Dowager finds most distressing: that this happened at all or that she had to admit Simon was her son. Our guests will not soon forget this."

When had young Mr. Leith been in contact with my blood? When we were in the alcove in the maze? All the details of what had happened were fuzzy in my mind. Wait. Had he been hurt? "I'm sorry," I managed to say, trying to sit up.

"The doctor says you are not to move," Lady Leith said, putting her hand on my uninjured shoulder. "You need to rest and regain your strength. I've even forbidden my husband and Mr. Harper from questioning you."

"Did they..." I was almost afraid to finish the question, but I had to know. "Was Mr. Bladen caught?"

I wasn't sure which answer was the one I wanted. My friend shook her head, her expression becoming regretful. He'd managed to escape? I had offered him that mercy, so I had no right to be disappointed. "What happened?"

"I don't think this is something you want to hear right now," she said, looking away. "There will be time enough for explanations and questions when you are feeling more yourself. Just try to rest."

Why didn't she want to tell me? Dread stabbed my heart. "They caught him, didn't they," I said, watching her. She flinched and continued to stare at the wall. "Henry Bladen is dead, isn't he?"
"I'm afraid he is," Celia said softly. She finally looked at me and her expression was sad. "I'm sorry."

Closing my eyes, I breathed out. Henry was dead. I'd mourned him long ago, turned him away when he had pursued me again, but this was not the end I would have wished. Not even for the man who had killed my family.

"How?"

"Well, my husband hasn't told me the exact details," she said with a sigh. "All I know is that they pursued him past the village. I think he was trying to find a horse. When they confronted him, Mr. Bladen shot at them. They were forced to defend themselves."