Chapter Two

While Lady Leith hurried to greet her mother-in-law, I went around to the servants' entrance. No one was in sight, no doubt rushing to ensure that the Dowager's room was ready for her. Unhindered, I was able to make my way up to my own room to remove my pelisse and then continued with my own duties.

The first task I needed to do was arrange the flowers before they wilted too much. As I worked with the blossoms, my mind wandered. There had been a second reason, besides my desire to leave Bath as soon as possible. Rest had brought with it the energy and desire to see my quest to its completion.

I knew that my brother had intercepted messages from someone I only knew as 'H', and from the way Jonathan had referred to this person, it was someone well-known to him. Since I was well aware that I didn't know all aspects of my brother's life, it had been hard to know whether I had accounted for all his close acquaintances whose names begin with the letter H.

Sir Horace Leith was one of those people. However, he'd left for parts unknown almost as soon as we'd arrived at Clarendon. Determining a man's disposition and past was difficult when he was not available to be observed.

Of course, I could not forget that 'H' could refer to a man's surname and not his Christian name. Mr. Oswyn Harper had been my first thought on that note. He had turned up so often over the past few months, it was difficult not to number him among those who were suspect.

There was also a John Hampton who had been another school companion of Jonathan. He lived somewhere in the North, if I remembered correctly. What had become of him? Had he kept up a correspondence with my brother at all?

Heaving a sigh, I realized I had completed my easy task and I had no excuse to put off the laundry. Laundering the more delicate items of any of my employers was one of the many things I really did not enjoy. My hands were raw from the soap and hot water. It would take weeks for my poor hands to return to their former softness.

It was another task that allowed me a little too much time to think. My great-aunt Beth's letters as of late had been filled with pleas for me to give up my self appointed mission. When I thought of how impossible it would be to find 'H' and I was faced with tedious tasks, I was tempted to do as she asked.

But then, what a waste my year would have been! Every hardship I'd faced, the abuse from unpleasant employers, would have been for nothing. This worry was foremost in my mind as I made my way down the servant's staircase to where I could

"....fall down around you and you wouldn't even notice."

With a gasp, I lifted my gaze to find a rail thin woman in front of me. An amused smile on her face kept her from appearing severe. Mrs. Horner was the housekeeper at Clarendon House, and was an amiable woman who had made me welcome.

"I'm sorry, ma'am. I'm afraid I wasn't listening," I said with a slight laugh. I adjusted my grip on my basket, grateful I had made sucha cake of myself as to drop it.

"I know. I said the walls of the house would fall down and you wouldn't even notice," she said with a laugh. "What has your head up in the clouds, Nelson?"

She was a garrulous person, and I'd learned the entirety of her life within two days of meeting her. While it was refreshing to not be the object of disdain, it made me all the more careful with what I said.

"I saw that the Dowager had arrived," I said, choosing a topic that had nothing to do with me. "I had not heard she was expected for a visit."

Mrs. Horner shook her head, discontent visible in her expression for a moment. "No one knew, but I shouldn't be surprised. She has a habit of returning without warning. I suppose that's the prerogative of the gentry, to do as they please whenever they wish. At least, she brought her own abigail so you won't have to look after her needs."