Chapter Fifteen

In the little time left to me, there had to be some way to narrow down my list of suspects. If I could do that, perhaps I would know which of the "H's" in the house I could trust to finish my mission. All that mattered was that the matter would be resolved.

Though I'd not had my tea, I couldn't remain in the housekeeper's room a moment longer. If the guests were out of the house and otherwise occupied, perhaps I could slip into the rooms of the gentlemen in question.

Determination surged through my veins now that I had decided on a task. Up the servants' staircase I went, my steps quick and sure.

As soon as I stepped into the main part of the house, I was struck once again by the peaceful silence that reigned. I heard no one, and there was no sound of talking. I made my way down the hallway.

I found myself glancing over my shoulder, expecting to see Mr. Harper behind me. Pushing open the door of the first bedroom, I slipped inside. Green paper covered the walls, and the bed covering was also a shade of green.

The Green Room.

"Now, who was to have taken this room," I said softly as I took it all in.

The only thing for certain I knew was that one of the gentlemen who'd come with Sir Horace had been given the room for use while they stayed. Praying it was not Mr. Harper's room, or if it was that he was not about to return, I moved to the wardrobe.

Opening it up, I searched the clothes contained within. There was nothing suspicious in the jackets that hung there. I vaguely recognized the cut of the navy jacket as one Mr. Harper had worn in Bath.

"I'm not going to find anything in here," I said with a sigh.

Mr. Harper did not seem the type to keep papers, incriminating or otherwise, where they would be easily found by just anyone. Sir Horace, at least, had hid his correspondence in a secret compartment in his desk.

Breathing out, I closed the wardrobe and made sure I left behind no trace I'd been there. As soon as I stepped into the hallway, I heard voices. The guests had returned from their out of door activities.

Swiftly, I walked along the hallway and left the guest chambers behind me. I made my way to Lady Leith's dressing room to wait for her to return.

****

"You have to leave?" Lady Leith repeated, her eyes wide. "You cannot mean that! We haven't solved the mystery yet!"

"I'm afraid I have no choice," I said with regret. "My uncle returns in a fortnight, and he will expect me to be in my great-aunt's house."

"Could you not have your great-aunt say you are visiting friends in the country?" Celia caught my hands. "How could you bear to leave without knowing the truth?"

"It won't be easy, I confess. But as much as I wish I could remain, I don't think I can manage to keep all the lies straight. What if my uncle wishes to join me? How would we then explain that my presence? I have not been your guest, and the rest of the household will be all too eager to spread the story."

She heaved a sigh. "You're right, of course. But we have not ruled out even one name."
"Well, I think we can be certain Sir Henry has nothing to do with this situation."

Pulling a face, Lady Leith released my hands and went to her dressing table. "That is one person out of four."

"But it is one less person," I said with a slight smile. "Granted, not one of the names highest on my list, and certainly not one I had considered before coming here, but it is one name we can remove from our list. I also did not find anything of interest in Mr. Harper's room. You and your guests returned before I could continue searching."

Lady Leith hummed a note. "From what you have told me of your dealings with Mr. Harper, and what I've observed myself, he does not seem the type to leave anything important where it could be easily found."